what do you ride?

simba

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At home I've got a GSXR1000(K7), a 1980 Yamaha RD400G (fully restored and wiseco's, pods, rejetted, DG expansion chambers), and a 98% restored/rebuilt Honda CB550F that I've done as a café racer.

I visited them last month and gave them a pat and a tickle under the chin, bit of a wash and a polish and nice new covers as early Christmas presents. smile.png

In Thailand I've got a PCX125 and a Honda Click 110. And while I miss the track on my Gixer, riding around Patts on a scooter is so invigorating that I don't miss track riding as much as I thought I would. Dodging the baht busses is nearly as much fun as dragging a knee around a corner.....nearly!

Mind you, I note that the Looney Season has started and the fresh of the boat, two week millionaires are running amuck on their rented scooters.

Hats off to the bloke at Thepprasit Road today - wearing a bandaged left knee and left foot (I suspect from an earlier accident), went past me while I was stationery at the lights, then proceeded to squeeze through too narrow a gap at speed, clipped a car and fell off on his right side. If you're reading this and it was you, I'm the bloke that rode past you as you rolled on the ground, gave you a toothy grin and loudly called you a prat. w00t.gif

At home I've got a GSXR1000(K7), a 1980 Yamaha RD400G (fully restored and wiseco's, pods, rejetted, DG expansion chambers), and a 98% restored/rebuilt Honda CB550F that I've done as a café racer.

I visited them last month and gave them a pat and a tickle under the chin, bit of a wash and a polish and nice new covers as early Christmas presents. smile.png

In Thailand I've got a PCX125 and a Honda Click 110. And while I miss the track on my Gixer, riding around Patts on a scooter is so invigorating that I don't miss track riding as much as I thought I would. Dodging the baht busses is nearly as much fun as dragging a knee around a corner.....nearly!

Mind you, I note that the Looney Season has started and the fresh of the boat, two week millionaires are running amuck on their rented scooters.

Hats off to the bloke at Thepprasit Road today - wearing a bandaged left knee and left foot (I suspect from an earlier accident), went past me while I was stationery at the lights, then proceeded to squeeze through too narrow a gap at speed, clipped a car and fell off on his right side. If you're reading this and it was you, I'm the bloke that rode past you as you rolled on the ground, gave you a toothy grin and loudly called you a prat. w00t.gif

Got any pics of the RD? used to love those when I was growing up

Got any pics of the RD? used to love those when I was growing up

Here's a few, RD as initially restored to standard, and then with expansion changes. The seat isn't original as I could never track down one that was NIB. The CB partially restored as a café - it's rideable now but just have to fit the rearsets. And my Gixer in race livery.

post-124914-0-30295000-1384504941_thumb.

post-124914-0-52645400-1384504946_thumb.

post-124914-0-57833700-1384504948_thumb.

post-124914-0-01946000-1384504971_thumb.

post-124914-0-66294300-1384504984_thumb.

post-124914-0-79829700-1384505021_thumb.

Love the RD, looks awesome, clearly lots of care gone into it! Do you race the gsxr or is it mainly track days? I had a 2 year stint in the new era league in the rsv cup some years back, great memories!

Thanks - the RD has a history. After riding RD350's as a kid back in the 70's, I had a hankering for one as I approached my 40's and bought this one as a rolling wreck in 1997. Spent lots of dollars and hours restoring it - parts from all over the world via early ebay, and then for some stupid reason I sold it (along with most of my stable) to raise cash as part of a divorce settlement. That was in 2000. Saw it advertised for sale in 2002 and bought it back. It was still in as new condition, so I decided to do the jets, pods, and pistons, ports etc. Goes like a cut cat but I seized her twice because of inferior pistons not handling the over revs. I think once I didn't set the ring gaps properly either. Fitted wiseco's now and they can take the punishment as long as you warm her up. With rejetting (7 sizes up), she only likes one place on the rev counter, and that's way into the danger zone. Power band is awesome though.

Re the Gixxer - this one only trackdays and club racing. I had a K2 that I raced and more recently had a ZX6 that I raced in our Formula 3 for the last few years, and over the years have raced most classes at club level. TZ's, now they were a thing of beauty back in the day. I've seen a few around Pattaya attached to sidecars selling somtam.......my heart bleeds.

Nice looking Ducati. I love the breed but have never actually owned one. I don't know why that is. I got hooked on the RD's and then the Kwakas, and they blew everything else away back in the day, so European bikes were never on my menu.

In my case it is more what I not ride enough.... I find myself more and more on a little scooter running around the moobaan than riding the bike I bought for serious riding. Currently it has the lowest kilometers per month ever for me....

post-12170-0-21236500-1384512908_thumb.j

I live here but I don't have a big collection of bikes. Just one bike and some scooters.

post-63954-0-42459400-1384524687_thumb.j

post-63954-0-17412000-1384524833_thumb.j

post-63954-0-42859000-1384524777_thumb.j

Plus our up country ride. Suzuki Smash. No pix

Ps: I would like a big touring rig but no photo because no bike! 555

PPs: I want a Victory Vision.

Edited by BSJ

Home for me is Thailand, don't own anything in the old home country expect a pension (when the time comes).

PCX 150 (my "bike"), good for Pattaya city riding.

Honda Snoopy (wife's bike), hate it, a piece of crap.

Sold: Harley Road King 2002. Have a kid now so touring= pick-up trucksad.png

Having a lust for the new Ducati Hybermotard but doubt I ever get one but never say never eh.

A "wetdream" and a vfr750fj (my third), can't beat the whine of the gear driven cams and the growl through the 4 into 1 motad.

I had an '89 VFR750F in Japan- my gear-driven-cams were of the first-gen defective variety, and they let go and ate a surprisingly large portion of my engine- I liked the bike a lot, though, and Honda worked out the issues in the next redesign.;)

Right now I've got a ZX-14R that's set up pretty nicely by local standards (it was a real PITA to get it done- I had to import stuff as there's nothing available in LOS except generic small parts like frame sliders):

post-176811-0-40490300-1384558275_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I live here & just to bring this thread 'downmarket' lol, I ride a Kawasaki Kasi 125, A Lifan 200 motocross
& a Keeway Superlight 200 (which I've ridden all over Thailand with no problems & am at 15000 km & counting BTW)

Oddly enough the scooter is the fastest of the 3, downhill with the wind behind it will touch 120 kph whereas the superlight will only do 115 kph & the Lifan 100kph due to the gearing.

I've owned much bigger bikes in the UK but don't see any point here these go as fast as it is safe to go on Thai roads & apart from the scooter which the Wife rides (very slowly lol). they are big enough to run over Dogs, Chickens & potholes without falling off. I ride the Superlight for all medium to long 3-600km runs or shopping as has big panniers & rack, & the Lifan for round the villages & dirt tracking.

It's not what you ride but doing the riding that counts.....

I live here but I don't have a big collection of bikes. Just one bike and some scooters.

attachicon.gif001_317x480.jpg

attachicon.gif001_002.jpg

attachicon.gifP3260001.JPG

Plus our up country ride. Suzuki Smash. No pix

Ps: I would like a big touring rig but no photo because no bike! 555

PPs: I want a Victory Vision.

I had a victory I picked up in the bay area. I never cared for it . To damn heavy & slower than molasses very similar to a Harley. But I have always been fond of rice rockets lighter & faster & corner a lot better. The victory was a toad on the road. Good for cross country but sucked in the city or twisties & a waste of good money.

Got an offer & broke even & was delighted to be out from under it. My partners bike same year had nothing but problems. He sold his for a considerable loss to get out of it.

I know people think that riding a bike with manual transmission, equipped with a powerful engine adds inches to their penises(unfortunately it doesn't) so to give you a reason to talk sh_t and say ahhh that ain't a real motorcycle, here is what I ride other than the cbr250r which I love: Honda nc700x.

I know people think that riding a bike with manual transmission, equipped with a powerful engine adds inches to their penises(unfortunately it doesn't) so to give you a reason to talk sh_t and say ahhh that ain't a real motorcycle, here is what I ride other than the cbr250r which I love: Honda nc700x.

I didn't know anyone had more than one penis, but haven't been in Thailand that long.blink.png

I didn't know anyone had more than one penis, but haven't been in Thailand that long.Posted Image  

Thank you for pointing out the grammar mistake and also for staying away.

I didn't know anyone had more than one penis, but haven't been in Thailand that long.blink.png

Thank you for pointing out the grammar mistake and also for staying away.

You are welcome........it's just that this thread was going so well, blokes talking about their very different bikes and then your contribution Sarah-Jane.

It is a bit girly in this day and age, the penis size analogy.

Just tell us what you ride.thumbsup.gif