Boat captain abandons novice US divers in middle of the ocean in Thailand

webfact

Boat captain abandons novice divers in middle of the ocean in Thailand

div.jpg

MESA, Ariz. --- An East Valley couple vacationing to celebrate their first anniversary found themselves abandoned in the ocean, after a dive trip went wrong.

Lexa and Jake Mendenhall recently became certified scuba divers, and were looking forward to their first real dives in the blue waters off Thailand.

They made two one-hour dives, and all was well until they surfaced. Their boat was gone.

The Mendenhalls were stranded with two dive instructors from the Thai diving company, and another couple of novice divers.

The sun was setting, and their minds were racing.

"I kept thinking, 'What if there's no boat? It's evening. What boat goes out in the evening?" Lexa wondered.

Her husband had a GoPro camera, and documented part of their dive. Before the batteries died, his video shows nearby cliffs which were too steep to climb.

A dive instructor waved an inflatable tube in an attempt to signal a boat they say passing by.

Full story: http://www.khou.com/news/national/Boat-captain-abandons-novice-divers-in-middle-of-the-ocean-in-Thailand-232054861.html

-- KHOU 2013-11-16

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They later found out, their boat captain had engine trouble and chose to leave them all in the water while he went back to shore

What an A HOLE and yet not surprised. Couldn't give a monkeys about implications, the 'captain' would have to get a serious tw*atting!

Unfortunately these things happen, there have been movies made about it, but it sounds like in this case the blame is easy.

Where did this happen?

'Dead Calm', 1 and 2.

Scary just watching it.

Based on true events...

Captains do not have time to watch movies...

Oh oh... 'Open Water' 1 and 2 it was

Edited by Andre0720

Times like that you can say a prayer of thanks to the fishermen that killed all the sharks in the ocean and the Chinese that ate them all. Amen.

Sharks are not the problem. I've been diving for 15 years, most of that as an instructor. The problem is an incompetent boat captain that fails to protect his passengers. There was a similar incident in Australia a few years ago that resulted in Australia enacting some of the strictest laws in the world concerning boat liability. I wish Thailand would do the same and, of course, enforce them.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LOL @ that man.

Laws are easy ... it's the other bit that doesn't work.

• Like 2

Times like that you can say a prayer of thanks to the fishermen that killed all the sharks in the ocean and the Chinese that ate them all. Amen.

Sharks are not the problem. I've been diving for 15 years, most of that as an instructor. The problem is an incompetent boat captain that fails to protect his passengers. There was a similar incident in Australia a few years ago that resulted in Australia enacting some of the strictest laws in the world concerning boat liability. I wish Thailand would do the same and, of course, enforce them.

David

yes the only dangerous sharks in Thailand are the loan sharks

David

Lack of enforcement would be the real issue...

David

Lack of enforcement would be the real issue...
As it is most places. There are lots of good and useful laws on the books in most countries that go unenforced, not just Thailand.

David