New Zealander killed in Samui car crash

webfact

The garbage truck driver charged?? I can only guess his truck is like the one that collects our rubbish during the night no warning lights, in fact no lights at all.

I often drive at Samui at night and have never even seen a working garbage truck without warning lights and big spots at the back, so the staff can see what they are doing during their work – they normally try to sort the garbage for reusable items. They park at the side of the road, but if other vehicles are parked, then the garbage truck will stop in 2nd position.

Driving at high speed anywhere at Samui is absolutely reckless. Speed limits are around 40 km/h all over the island – varies from 30 km/h to 50 km/h; yes, sometimes bit confusing signs stating both 40, 45 and 50 within few hundred meters, even the new 30 km/h pedestrian zones are mixed with the older 40 km/h signs – so many signs, that any driver must know high speed is not safe. However, we do see reckless high-speed drivers and we do see many accidents with so smashed vehicles, which presumably have been driving (much) faster than 50 km/h.

Speed limit's don't vary from 30km/h to 50km'h max this is not correct when you know please post again.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come so many idiot post's on this subject. Has it been moved from another forum to the Samui forum. We don't have this many idiot's on the Samui forum.

clap2.gif My thoughts exactly .... where do some of these "experts and knit pickers" come from? coffee1.giffacepalm.gif

In reference to SamuiRes, comment thumbsup.gif .... on he having seen the accident site, that section of road near the Lomprayah ferry turning is quite (very) wide, and also on a slight curve.....section of road leading in both directions there are wide too, so it encourages people to speed...sad.png

It is hard to believe that at that time of day, there would have been much traffic to impede driving conditions, .....sad for the garbage truck guys just doing their job....

The section from Ford all the way past Toyota is good for 180km/hr. nice and smooth and wide can see for about 3km ahead.

How come so many idiot post's on this subject. Has it been moved from another forum to the Samui forum. We don't have this many idiot's on the Samui forum.

clap2.gif My thoughts exactly .... where do some of these "experts and knit pickers" come from? coffee1.giffacepalm.gif

In reference to SamuiRes, comment thumbsup.gif .... on he having seen the accident site, that section of road near the Lomprayah ferry turning is quite (very) wide, and also on a slight curve.....section of road leading in both directions there are wide too, so it encourages people to speed...sad.png

It is hard to believe that at that time of day, there would have been much traffic to impede driving conditions, .....sad for the garbage truck guys just doing their job....

The section from Ford all the way past Toyota is good for 180km/hr. nice and smooth and wide can see for about 3km ahead.

Yep, most of that section from Nathon to Hua Thanon is going to be a pretty good road when it's done.... except for the fact it will be to easy for speeding... facepalm.gif

This is somewhere down that way.... new asphalt on most of it now... and drainage looks like it might work too...thumbsup.gif

IMG_7279.CR2.jpg

IMG_7278.CR2.jpg

and also to mention, as most people don't seem to notice, there is a bike lane around these roads all around the island.

Exceptions being through the older built up areas Chawang, Maenam, Lamai...etc... there just is not enough room... but in most cases there are quieter side roads that one can by-pass the main ring road on a bike....(or any vehicle for that matter...) ...

Edited by samuijimmy

My guess, poor guy had a heart attack with his foot on the gas pedal and CRASH! May he RIP.

My thought as well after having seen the wreckage.

It does not even look like a high speed impact and its not like they had to cut him out of it.

Vehicles today are made to crumple and there doesn't appear to be much damage to the cab area. Looking at he pic, I would guess it was probably at heart attack and no person is at fault. Anyway the autopsy will determine that.

Was that heart attack after he head-butted the folded bonnet/hood?

RIP Frank

I didn't realise he head butted the bonnet. The airbags didn't work??? The windscreen still seems to be intack.

You are assuming the car had an air bag!

I bought a new car 10 months ago, and discovered that the basic model has no air bags, my model has ONE. The same model in Australia has 7.

Saftey in Thailand??

Its more than likely the truck had no lights I've seen it in Thailand many times from cars, motor bikes and the worst of all late at night is those bloody dak daks or tractors I've had several near misses. Condolences to his remaining family

Not in defense of Mr. Aphrirak and not knowing any further facts regarding the accident, but why would Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person? His job is driving the truck to collect trash and they always park on the side of the road to do it in every country of the world. Isn't it the responsibility of the driver behind to recognize this and avoid an accident. Driving at a high rate of speed behind any garbage truck is just looking for a crash, especially of the roads in Samui!

Yes they do it in every country ! But not without a flashing light as was the one i saw last week on Samui.

The garbage truck driver charged?? I can only guess his truck is like the one that collects our rubbish during the night no warning lights, in fact no lights at all.

In cases of accidents like this one,

Drafting a charge against the surviving vehicle driver is the way such accidents are handled here...

This charge will be later dropped after all facts are considered by relevant authorities....

But how in the world can anyone drive fast enough on Samui to kill himself? A death wish would give the same outcome......

Obviously , you have never been to Samui, but sit out front of the HAPPY BAR at Maenan late any evening and you will see them reaching massive speeds. Same with motorbikes, often with no lights and never never a crash helmet.

It's possible that the name of the unfortunate deceased is actually Brown Frank, though it is far more likely that, as is common in this country, the Thai reporter has transposed the given and family names. A simple understanding of foreign names, both farang and others, and a rigorous check, would go some way in adding to the accuracy and integrity of such reportage.

I really enjoying reading posts about bad punctuation, mis-spelling or (in this case) possible transposed names. Shame the posters haven't got more important things to do in their lives. Hopefully my spelling and grammar is OK

OK is good English ?

Its more than likely the truck had no lights I've seen it in Thailand many times from cars, motor bikes and the worst of all late at night is those bloody dak daks or tractors I've had several near misses. Condolences to his remaining family

Yes, of course, the truck had no lights. Driver prob. on drugs and had had an argument with his girlfriend and he was too distressed to remember to put his lights on. And, quite possible his lights didnt work as he had spent all his money gambling and couldnt afford new bulbs. Obvious really.

It is standard practise to charge the surviving driver. Then an investigation takes place to decide whether to proceed with or drop the charges.

Hi Edwin, I htink you might want to re-read the article. It didn

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

Well noticed Sherlock !

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

Obviously you have never been on Samui.

There are no roads with two lanes here.

I live here and i can assure you that they are "all" fast lanes. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

It is standard practise to charge the surviving driver. Then an investigation takes place to decide whether to proceed with or drop the charges.

Alwin, you need to re-read the article. It says that the garbage truck driver said that he was parked on the side of the road and that the car driver was operating at a high speed. So, using your noodle, you would have to conclude that, in order to hit the garbage truck and do the damage shown in the picture, one would have to be driving on the side of the road.

My guess, poor guy had a heart attack with his foot on the gas pedal and CRASH! May he RIP.

If he was travelling from Bo Phut towards Naton through Maenam, then he probably was doing high speed (Normal for that stretch of road) as he would have just travelled about one and a half kilometers in a straight line, no tfc lights.

I often drive at Samui at night and have never even seen a working garbage truck without warning lights and big spots at the back, so the staff can see what they are doing during their work – they normally try to sort the garbage for reusable items. They park at the side of the road, but if other vehicles are parked, then the garbage truck will stop in 2nd position.

Driving at high speed anywhere at Samui is absolutely reckless. Speed limits are around 40 km/h all over the island – varies from 30 km/h to 50 km/h; yes, sometimes bit confusing signs stating both 40, 45 and 50 within few hundred meters, even the new 30 km/h pedestrian zones are mixed with the older 40 km/h signs – so many signs, that any driver must know high speed is not safe. However, we do see reckless high-speed drivers and we do see many accidents with so smashed vehicles, which presumably have been driving (much) faster than 50 km/h.

Speed limit's don't vary from 30km/h to 50km'h max this is not correct when you know please post again.

Many thanks for correcting me – and please inform what the speed limits are around the island Samui...?

Where did it say he was driving in the fast lane?

I missed that.

jb1

Sorry I didn't realise this had already been taken up. I should have read on a bit more.

Edited by jimbeam1

A MFAT spokesman said the mistaken identification was probably because the dead man had borrowed a New Zealander's car

That is one way of trying to shift the blame for incompetence by the BIB onto the deceased or owner of the vehicle.

The mistaken identification was Actually cause by the BIB failure to carry out a very, very basic investigation.

From a very reliable source:

The deceased gentleman ( driver ) was travelling on a Canadian passport, he is a dual nationality holder, British & Canadian.

The BIB had the right information & dealt with the correct identification process.

The blame lies on the Media who probably got the info from someone who knew the car & the owner and assumed who was driving.

At no time was the information released by the BIB.

So please stop these basically BS posts, trying to lay the blame without having the facts.

My apologies as I didn't read that in the story that he was a Canadian/British .

Normally the police do the full investigation and then pass the info onto the media after it has been cleared by the family. That is the way we do it in Australia. The media can't release anything until the family have been notified and it is the police who do that as part of the investigation. I forgot that everyone in Thailand runs off on their own half cocked.

Regarding the arresting the garbage truck driver - this is the law in Thailand. (We are not in Australia or Europe). When there is a traffic accident resulting in a death - then all other drivers involved are arrested until the facts are worked out.

True.

That's why you see in every news article "the driver run away".

Why spend the night in jail if you can come next morning with your lawyer.

There's no penalty to "the driver run away".

• Like 1

Alwin, you need to re-read the article. It says that the garbage truck driver said that he was parked on the side of the road and that the car driver was operating at a high speed. So, using your noodle, you would have to conclude that, in order to hit the garbage truck and do the damage shown in the picture, one would have to be driving on the side of the road.

If he was travelling from Bo Phut towards Naton through Maenam, then he probably was doing high speed (Normal for that stretch of road) as he would have just travelled about one and a half kilometers in a straight line, no tfc lights.

Great investigative journalism. "if, probably,normal,would have.one and a half kilometers".

I personally use the Bike lanes as much a possible except for the drains. I don't much like driving over those things.

From Nathon to MaeNam to Bophut is a pleasure to drive through.

That being the case, drivers behind me should hopefully understand that by NOT honking at me or squeezing me over to the left

when I need to momentarily use the main lane.

I've even seen Farangs squeezing me over to the left and yes, if you saw me give you the middle finger, you now know it was I.

Do it again, and I'll give you the Double Wammy. The British version in one hand and the American in the other........just to let you know.

By law ( I think ) I have just a much right to the main lane as any other vehicle does.

That includes bicycles. All must obey traffic regulations, regardless.........................................

• Like 1

I personally use the Bike lanes as much a possible except for the drains. I don't much like driving over those things.

From Nathon to MaeNam to Bophut is a pleasure to drive through.

That being the case, drivers behind me should hopefully understand that by NOT honking at me or squeezing me over to the left

when I need to momentarily use the main lane.

I've even seen Farangs squeezing me over to the left and yes, if you saw me give you the middle finger, you now know it was I.

Do it again, and I'll give you the Double Wammy. The British version in one hand and the American in the other........just to let you know.

By law ( I think ) I have just a much right to the main lane as any other vehicle does.

That includes bicycles. All must obey traffic regulations, regardless.........................................

You might be dead right but get out of the way and ride as close as possible to the left. Also note that's why they have a motorbike lane.