Cooking ingredients help please

ttl

Desiccated Coconut required

Golden Syrup cannot locate either of these baking products in Lotus. Big C. Makro.

Common products one would think for sugar producer and coconut growing country.

Best SHOP answers I can get IS NO HAVE, AND MAIKOJAI

Cannot find thai names in my dictionary and wife does not know.

PHEW! Any clues please

I've seen coconut at/near the local markets although I have not looked for it for a couple of years. We look for a place with lots of coconuts and a machine. Somehow, we manage to let them know what we want by pointing. I am in Chiang Mai and have seen it near Tanin market (off Chang Phruek Road at the end of Tanin Alley) and Ton Payom market(near intersection Canal Road and Suthep Road). However, check with others before going as I have not been to either in over a year.

Saw the "coconut guy" at our village market making it yesterday. He grinds the coconut in the machine and then spreads it on a tarp behind the market in the sun to dry. Puts it in a big bag and night and spreads it again the next day. When it's dry packages it in smaller bags. 1 kilo cost 75 baht. If you want powder, wizz it in a food processor.

My wife grinds it by hand on a stool made for doing it. She doesn't dry it and makes coconut cream and <deleted> for curries. We have loads of coconuts in our back forties so it's free other than supporting the wife!