Alcohol is good for your health

Maestro

Alcohol is good for your health: leading science writer claims tipple can prevent cancer and may help improve your sex life

• Tony Edwards is a science journalist and writer
  • He has brought together leading research on the effects of alcohol
  • Found that, far from being harmful, drinking could prevent illness
  • Red wine is best, but must still be drunk in moderation

By TONY EDWARDS

PUBLISHED: 00:25 GMT, 23 November 2013 | UPDATED: 00:28 GMT, 23 November 2013

A businessman goes to his GP. ‘My hands hurt, I get a bit of a pain in my chest sometimes, and I’m beginning to forget things,’ he complains.

The doctor examines him and says: ‘You’ve got a touch of arthritis, possibly mild heart disease, and you may be in the first stages of dementia. How much are you drinking?’

‘Never touch a drop, doctor,’ says the patient proudly.

‘Ah, that explains it,’ says the GP, wagging an admonishing finger. ‘Here’s a prescription for red wine — a quarter of a litre a day.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2512175/Alcohol-good-health-leading-science-writer-claims-tipple-prevent-cancer-help-improve-sex-life.html

-- Daily Mail 2013-11-23

• Like 1

The mainstream medical advice for most adults (unless you're an alcoholic, diabetic, etc.) is two standard size drinks per day for men and one for women. Not really news. There are downsides, like the calories ...

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not sure about the improve sex life statement... Has the author ever heard of Brewers droop?

MODERATE drinking, not actually getting drunk. I know. Boring.

Actually generally the medical profession knows about these benefits but it's not really policy to push the daily moderate drinking out of fear that some of the people will become alcoholics ... and some will

Edited by Jingthing

The mainstream medical advice for most adults (unless you're an alcoholic, diabetic, etc.) is two standard size drinks per day for men and one for women. Not really news. There are downsides, like the calories ...

...which brings us to the definition of "standard size drinks", which apparently varies from country to country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_drink

I know, it goes straight to my hips.

A lot of people do not like the taste and only drink to get tipsy. I'm not sure that two standard size drinks will have much of an effect when one drinks them every day.

Kind of reminds me of a study I did one time in a dialysis ward.

I recommend that nobody take dialysis because everyone there seemed to develop kidney problems.

And don't take aspirin, because I hear there's a strong link between taking aspirin and getting a headache. I also hear that very few people who shoot themselves die of heart disease.

Pretty much every example examined indicates a correlation between drinking in moderation, and a reduced incidence of certain diseases. Maybe healthy people are more likely to drink in moderation, and sick people are more likely to either drink too much, or not feel well enough to drink at all.

Maybe fine red wine is best because it's the drink of people who have enough money to also get decent health care. Maybe it appears better than beer because people don't eat deep fried pork rinds with fine red wine. Maybe drinking grape juice has the same benefits, or even more- but that's never been studied..

I'm seeing correlations, but not much cause and effect.

And what I'm also seeing is fodder for people with genuine drinking problems to tell everyone "here, see- I told you- it's okay, because it's proven to be good for you".

Edit: I forgot one of my favorite homegrown "studies": Seems that most Ferrari owners are wealthy. Does that mean I'll be more likely to get rich if I buy a Ferrari tomorrow? (BTW, the answer may surprise you- it surprised me)

Edited by impulse

I recommend that nobody take dialysis because everyone there seemed to develop kidney problems.

And don't take aspirin, because I hear there's a strong link between taking aspirin and getting a headache. I also hear that very few people who shoot themselves die of heart disease.

Pretty much every example examined indicates a correlation between drinking in moderation, and a reduced incidence of certain diseases. Maybe healthy people are more likely to drink in moderation, and sick people are more likely to either drink too much, or not feel well enough to drink at all.

Maybe fine red wine is best because it's the drink of people who have enough money to also get decent health care. Maybe it appears better than beer because people don't eat deep fried pork rinds with fine red wine. Maybe drinking grape juice has the same benefits, or even more- but that's never been studied..

And what I'm also seeing is fodder for people with genuine drinking problems to tell everyone "here, see- I told you- it's okay, because it's proven to be good for you".

Edit: I forgot one of my favorite homegrown "studies": Seems that most Ferrari owners are wealthy. Does that mean I'll be more likely to get rich if I buy a Ferrari tomorrow? (BTW, the answer may surprise you- it surprised me)

Nobody is talking about 'fine' red wine. People in southern Europe drink their own farm made wine, because they can't afford beer (or don't like beer). Google red wine + health.

Nobody is talking about 'fine' red wine. People in southern Europe drink their own farm made wine, because they can't afford beer (or don't like beer). Google red wine + health.

Google me up a double blind study (oh, hell- any study) where they compare the health of a group that drinks one glass of red wine a day compared to a group from the same village, with similar genetics that drinks one glass of grape juice from the same vines every day.

Is it the wine, or is it something in the grapes that has the same benefit without the potential damage done by the alcohol? Or maybe the folks that drink wine with dinner drink a little less less of the radioactive, or chemical laced water? (Google Oracle of Delphi)

BTW, I am having just a little fun with this. I have no clue if it's true. Just like I don't know if butter is better for me than margarine, or if corn oil is better than soybean oil. That pendulum seems to swing back and forth with every new study that comes in.

Edited by impulse

You've got a good point there.

Consider the source which is defined as a tabloid. Consider the author's credentials, they appear a little vague. Also the fact that this theory is supported by the alcohol industry. This panacea will soon have the same effect as the unfounded MSG scare of the 1960's.

Edited by rucus7

Again, this isn't news. It's mainstream medical thinking for many years now. But generally it is not promoted because of the concern over the people that will become alcoholics. Also probably misguided moralism -- here patient drink some booze ...

Edited by Jingthing

Margarine is very bad because it contains transfats. That is conclusive.

The health benefits of moderate alcohol drinking is not limited to wine or red wine. Beer and spirits as well. thumbsup.gif

I know margarine is bad. But is it worse than butter? And at what point in time did the "conventional thinking" pendulum swing that way? Maybe it will swing back next study?

Remember "anal leakage" and "fecal urgency"? Two points for the first respondent that can name the product. Hint: It had to do with butter/margarine/transfats.

Edited by impulse

Obviously butter is better as it contains no transfats. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat lots of butter either. Obviously.

I gave up on trying to figure it out.

I like butter. I buy butter. I use butter in moderation, sometimes mixed with olive oil to increase the joy. Ya gotta die of something. May as well enjoy the ride.

Obviously butter is better as it contains no transfats. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat lots of butter either. Obviously.

I gave up on trying to figure it out.

I like butter. I buy butter. I use butter in moderation, sometimes mixed with olive oil to increase the joy. Ya gotta die of something. May as well enjoy the ride.

Sounds reasonable. You know that just using the olive oil would be better though. All of us make these kinds of decisions with whatever information we have.

A good example of that is processed meats which are KNOWN to cause diseases. Most people can probably get away with small amounts, but it would be better to have none, and I reckon most people even who are aware of the risks are not eating none ...

Edited by Jingthing

But in reality is this analysis really independent? Is this any more reliable than the Gold Council

recommending gold is a good investment?

I'm sure good and regular exercise is just as equally beneficial to the body than drinking alcohol?

I agree. Of course there are many foods and activities that are far more healthy. But the article is purely crafted for the reading pleasure of people who drink alcohol, and want to hear it does good. Next, we'll hear reports that twinkies or slabs of cow meat are fine for health. Keith Richards, when asked if he was a heroin junkie, said, "at least, I haven't had a cold in the whole time I've been doing the stuff."

Alcohol remains the #1 most harmful drug in Thailand and worldwide, in terms of cumulative harm it contributes to. Ask any woman who gets beaten by her husband, or ask the parents of children who have been killed by drunk drivers. The reasons alcohol is the ONLY legal recreational drug are many, not least because the drug fighting baron of Thailand (Chalerm) is himself an alcoholic, by his own admission.

Consider the source which is defined as a tabloid. Consider the author's credentials, they appear a little vague. Also the fact that this theory is supported by the alcohol industry. This panacea will soon have the same effect as the unfounded MSG scare of the 1960's.

I agreed with your first 2 sentences. However, I abhor the effect MSG has on me and on most of my farang friends I converse with on that topic.
  • Like 2

But in reality is this analysis really independent? Is this any more reliable than the Gold Council

recommending gold is a good investment?

I'm sure good and regular exercise is just as equally beneficial to the body than drinking alcohol?

I agree. Of course there are many foods and activities that are far more healthy. But the article is purely crafted for the reading pleasure of people who drink alcohol, and want to hear it does good. Next, we'll hear reports that twinkies or slabs of cow meat are fine for health. Keith Richards, when asked if he was a heroin junkie, said, "at least, I haven't had a cold in the whole time I've been doing the stuff."

Alcohol remains the #1 most harmful drug in Thailand and worldwide, in terms of cumulative harm it contributes to. Ask any woman who gets beaten by her husband, or ask the parents of children who have been killed by drunk drivers. The reasons alcohol is the ONLY legal recreational drug are many, not least because the drug fighting baron of Thailand (Chalerm) is himself an alcoholic, by his own admission.

I agreed with your first 2 sentences. However, I abhor the effect MSG has on me and on most of my farang friends I converse with on that topic.

I cook using MSG on a regular basis. Please quote me definitive information not conjecture, on proven MGS illness.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the improve sex life statement...  Has the author ever heard of Brewers droop?

I am a medico and I can assure you.... Many people look so much better throughbeer goggles.

So yes alcohol helps your sex life

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk