Problems with Hull Consulate....?

I always use Cardiff, which if your name suggests, you are from Cirencester then it's not far to go in person, call first for an appointment.

totster smile.png

I guess he cant do that because Hull has his Passport ... "duur" w00t.gif

I realise that.. there is always a next time though..

totster :)

Keep trying to call. It is easy to get into a panic when nothing seems to be happening and people won't talk to you (for whatever reason). I'm sure everything will be ok. By the way. You say "Am over 400 miles from the Consulate". I am curious to know why you decided to apply to the Thai consulate in Hull. There are others that must be nearer to you. Glasgow, Cardiff, Birmingham, London...smile.png

Am guessing but I believe Hull is the only Consulate that takes cheques ? The rest require cash or Postal Orders. What about London ?

London is cash only and you have to apply in person.

Quite right Joe, but what a great day out. Very close to the V & A and British Museums and, if you enjoy parting with heaps of dosh, there is Mayfair. The London Thai Consulate/Consul is usually quite busy with Thai nationals renewing their passports etc. but they try to make you feel at home with street vendors (at the bottom of the steps)....smile.png

Checked websites Birmingham and Liverpool accept checks. Cardiff postal orders or cash.

Useful information for many but for Mr. Cirencester? Maybe next time.

By the way, money payments from bank accounts are cheques. Looking to see if there are spelling mistakes are checks. My guess is you are from one of our old rebellious colonies....smile.png

I have rung Hull Thai Consulate today as I have emailed 4 times about a totally separate issue to Visas with no response. Having been told that it will be dealt with in due course I asked briefly about Tourist Visas for perhaps the benefit of others.

Applications for Tourist Visas for departures up to 4th December are being dealt with this week, and passports should be received by weekend.

Next week the departure date applications moves forward etc etc and process repeats.

Why they believe its "no problem" for people to receive Passports back only 2-3 days prior to travel is anyones guess.

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

I phoned the Thai Consulate in Hull today (Wednesday) regards my visa and passport. I got through on the 3rd call (last number re-dial is wonderful).

They tell me that they had very many requests for visas in November that they are working through the backlog as fast as they possibly can and expect people to have their visas before they are due to fly out.

Yes, it is disconcerting waiting for your passport and visa (as am I) and wondering if it will arrive in time to fly. All I can do is sit and wait for the documents to arrive.

Just to update the topic for the benefit of others, as the Passport was returned today Wednesday, for my flight this coming Weekend.

Really is unacceptable to be waiting this long or more to the point so close to departure......

Even today the Cheque has not even been cashed.

Certainly will not be using this Consulate again and I would advise using Cardiff in future .

If you have the visa and your cheque (sorry guys, UK English) has not been cashed yet then you are winning.

Don't go near the London Embassy as they need too much paperwork, but if you are, and should be, within 3-4 hours drive of a Consulate then best to use it.

You don't really need a formal appointment but phone ahead to check when they are open

Even using National Express Coach from Cirencester to Birmingham direct = GBP 7.50 return and takes 2 hours 10 mins.. even cheaper if you have a card and over 50 years old..

Driving yourself to Birmingham or Cardiff would take less than 2 hours..... only 1 GBP more on National Express Coach but a pain as must change twice and takes over 6 hours, driving yourself you would not have to go to Gloucester [some via Bath] or Bristol bus station and change coach

Don't forget that there is also a consulate in Liverpool.

Cirencester to Birmingham = 107 KM

Cirencester to Cardiff = 124 KM

Cirencester to Liverpool = 205 KM

Cirencester to Hull = 333 KM

I am sure the post office doesn't mind the difference in distance.

Don't forget that there is also a consulate in Liverpool.

Cirencester to Birmingham = 107 KM

Cirencester to Cardiff = 124 KM

Cirencester to Liverpool = 205 KM

Cirencester to Hull = 333 KM

I am sure the post office doesn't mind the difference in distance.

No of course not, for me was peace of mind, phoned them for an appointment arrage a day, go with Passport 15 mins later you have your Thai Visa and on your way home again, rather than waiting and hoping every day that the Passport will arrive back..

My last house in UK was 1 mile from M5 so made no difference Birmingham or Cardiff as both took around 1 hour to get to... Cirencester was 14 miles away.