Situation in the capital is still tense after tear gas fired at protesters

Lite Beer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dissolution of the house and new elections is the only proper way out of this mess, as the current government has clearly abused their power for personal gains. But new elections should not take place, until a massive anti-corruption committee has been set up, to jail and fine all corrupt persons in Thailand, starting with the politicians and then the police, army, government officials....... you continue!

The anti-corruption committee should of course be totally independent, but how will this be possible, when everyone in Thailand seems to be for sale?? Today I have spent quite some time, to wonder how many honest people can actually be found in Thailand??

A problem with your theory, perhaps they all have a skeleton in the closet and so cannot come out..............sad.png

• Like 1

Dissolution of the house and new elections is the only proper way out of this mess, as the current government has clearly abused their power for personal gains. But new elections should not take place, until a massive anti-corruption committee has been set up, to jail and fine all corrupt persons in Thailand, starting with the politicians and then the police, army, government officials....... you continue!

The anti-corruption committee should of course be totally independent, but how will this be possible, when everyone in Thailand seems to be for sale?? Today I have spent quite some time, to wonder how many honest people can actually be found in Thailand??

You would end up with NO police and definitely NO civil servants since they have to buy their way in..... which only leaves some low level army officers to run the country under martial law.

How can you violate the rule of law (constitution) to enforce the rule of law..... not to mention .... who does the appointing.... Suthep who has quite clearly violated the constitution himself?

• Like 1

Meanwhile Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said, "We understand that the protest leaders are trying hard to force the government to use violence in order to increase their support fortheir own benefit.

Absolutely! It's a tactic straight out of the UDD copy book.

And fortunately the current governemment is showing more restraint. So far.

Agreed. PM Yingluck is handling the situation extremely well. The police must begin to protect government buildings - that is what they are supposed to do. The protesters don't have any right to repeatedly occupy government buildings. Right on, YL...you go, girl!!

Same thing the government did during the Redshirt protest in 2010...did nothing(restraint) for awhile and then ...'BAM!'

"The protesters also besieged at least three television stations demanding they broadcast the protesters views. The stations executives organised a meeting with representatives of the protesters and they agree to meet their demands."

Red, not red, govt, anti-govt, there appears to be no tolerance for any views of the other side. The stupidity and bigotry of all sides never fails to amaze me.

It is even with the persons with views of indifference: My friend was confronted by an anti-gov't supporter and was asked what she thought. She says she didn't think much about it at all...then came the "you don't love thailand" She was scared at that point. It never fails to happen...kick out some or other administration because you don't support them, think they are corrupt, think your views are not listened to and then institute the same thing but only for your point of view is supported

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism

• Like 1

http://news.sky.com/story/1176026/thai-pm-flees-building-during-violent-protests

Fleeling to where? She is on the run now..

For those not able to view the UK sky news link; its reporting the Thai PM has fled the police sports club in which she was (hiding) based after protesters breached the security.

"She is on the run now"

She is the Prime Minister and a Shinawatra and they do not flee. Posted Image Posted Image

She will merely move to another venue in a more secure area.

Why they not flee to jail

Plenty of securty there

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The solution - would have been a primary focus on education (quality and uncorrupt) - along with basic courses on ethics..... No party on either side has made a serious attempt at fixing this problem at the roots because the larger the middle class gets..... the less comfortable middle class will be (no nannies, no maids, DYI work around the house because it would be too expensive).

• Like 1

If the present government was to use the Dems' "tactics" there would be a pool of blood already. Lucky we are that Thailand has such a responsible government.

While a pool of blood is what many protesters, and many on here, are apparently hoping for, I also praise Yingluck, the reds and the government for their restraint. Very wise to try to avoid confrontation with mad dogs as much as possible.

The protesters are really trying hard to finally get to the bloodshed that the Dems need so much.

After all their criminal actions and violence, including cowards attacking a 10yrs old boy, we now see the most serious intimidation of the media.

Not sure what Suthep and his thugs want to explain on TV? If it is about being sorry because their little whistle silly trick did not work as planned, I am not sure it is necessary. But he may also just want to say that he will "upgrade" again his criminal actions... in something even more criminal.

The journalists of the seized TV station must have been terrified by these thugs, after having witnessed what they did to the red protesters last night.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tell us again about the students shooting each other while high on drugs. I really enjoyed that pearl of wisdom.

About time we recognised the following:

1) the government are playing this well (now);

2) Suthep's end game is impossible (and it is his - and not the majority of those supporting the protests who simply want to put down a marker);

3) as foreigners (most of us at least) are trying to apply western standards to something that is deep-rooted and has a very real cultural Asian base;

4) democracy (as we claim to know it) is neither perfect or without very real faults.

This is a social problem. And it is being manipulated for other purposes. The "elite" want to keep control. The rest want their share of power.

Educated populations might not react in this way (I did say MIGHT) but until the majority are properly educated nothing will change. The mighty middle and upper classes look down from their lofty castles and expect the poor to understand and be compliant. The last thing they want is an educated working class!

The poor look up and say "Why not me?" but get manipulated and looked down on.

Solve that and it all goes away. But are Suthep / Thaksin and Co. really interested in that?

Of course not - this is about power, corruption and jealousy.

The solution will take at least a generation and then only if all sides recognise it and work to achieve it!

Hold your horses

Suthep said he shall not run for pm and shall hand himself into the police if this taksin rule goes away

He is going to go to jail no matter what

He has really put himself on the line

Also same said for se Deang who was shot by a sniper rifle

If one is prepared to take a bullet and take his freedom away then how much power and money can they have when they are dead or in jail

While taksin sits in 6 start accommodation who is the cause of all this

If he had any balls and cared about his country then he would come back and do his to years to keep the peace. At least now he is in a position to make a deal. 2 years no more frozen assets that's it

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Thaksin handed himself in as well.... but left (with help from the Democrats - who let him walk away) when it became clear he was going to be locked up. If Suthep gets to the same stage.... don't be surprised to see him take a long vacation. It is standard for all elites to find a way out of it instead of staying in jail.

Yingluck and her CAPO (di tutti CAPI) keep on repeating that they will abide by international standards of riot control. They have plenty of latitude to choose Chinese standards that permit the use of explosive tear gas grenades fired from shotguns and wooden staves used on farmers, Kyrgyzstani or Burmese standards that permit the massacre of minorities, Ukrainian or Russian standards that permit just about anything. Looking towards the Western world she could apply US standards as exemplified by the Ohio National Guard that successfully suppressed a peaceful protest at Kent State University in 1970 leaving 4 dead, or closer to home,take a leaf from the Korean book which permitted the massacre of 165 students at Gwangju University in order to restore order in 1980.

Which is to be Yingluck? Please don’t say you don't know anything about this but you have assigned officials to study the issue.

By quoting all these so-called 'standards', which are really just straw-man quotes, you only reveal your complete bias. The Kent State shooting in the US occurred during a student demonstration and everyone now agrees that it should not have happened. Moreover, at the time immediately after that shootings, hundreds of college campuses in the US were shut-down by students protesting the shoots and there was also a big march on Washington DC. The entire affair brought a complete change in how police handle protesting crowds. PM Yingluck seems to have learned (as Abhisit did not) that non-violent, ie., non-shooting, methods of crowd control are infinity better.

"PM" (I use the term very loosely) Yingluck and her cronies are not under fire. Abhisit and his forces were...!!

Not yet at least thumbsup.gif Hope it doesn't come to that

http://news.sky.com/story/1176026/thai-pm-flees-building-during-violent-protests

Fleeling to where? She is on the run now..

For those not able to view the UK sky news link; its reporting the Thai PM has fled the police sports club in which she was (hiding) based after protesters breached the security.

Let's pray and hope she keeps on running right back to the sands of Arabia

Yeah, right! You meant 'beach sands of Arabia', eh?

post-120659-0-93714300-1385899340_thumb.

I am continuously amazed that, upon retiring from the U.S., my conservative opponents are well and ensconced in Thailand. When will it be learned...share the wealth more equitably or face continuous societal problems. Yes, different in different countries but it will strain. The Shinawatras and Obama were elected as a result of rebelling against the inequity. The wealth gap has grown too wide.

• Like 2

Meanwhile Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said, "We understand that the protest leaders are trying hard to force the government to use violence in order to increase their support fortheir own benefit.

Whilst the current restraint is commendable, we ought to place this in perspective and point out that during week 2 of the April 2010 red shirts protest the Dem government also showed amazing restraint. In fact, their restraint into the 4th and 5th week of the event was beyond bearable and real force only came in the last week after BKK had been virtually brought to its knees!

Let's hope the restraint persists throughout and that death and casualties can be kept to an absolute minimum.

Time to move the mechanics of government to Chiang Mai?

No thanks. It's high season, don't you know.... There's no room at the inn.

You may well be right. I'll be there in 3 weeks time. Don't want it too crowded with appalling-driving Bangkokians.

"PM" (I use the term very loosely) Yingluck and her cronies are not under fire. Abhisit and his forces were...!!

The major difference being that Abhisit was not the democratically elected leader of the country but a johnny come lately after his friends in the judiciary banned PPP (Peua Thai's name at the time)

Abhisit came to powere after a realignment of allegiences in parliament. A common way for parliamentary power to change hands where no absolute majority exists and coalitions must be formed.

Do try and keep up and become informed before sprouting your BS

(edit spelling error)

Edited by DrDweeb
  • Like 1

Yingluck and her CAPO (di tutti CAPI) keep on repeating that they will abide by international standards of riot control. They have plenty of latitude to choose Chinese standards that permit the use of explosive tear gas grenades fired from shotguns and wooden staves used on farmers, Kyrgyzstani or Burmese standards that permit the massacre of minorities, Ukrainian or Russian standards that permit just about anything. Looking towards the Western world she could apply US standards as exemplified by the Ohio National Guard that successfully suppressed a peaceful protest at Kent State University in 1970 leaving 4 dead, or closer to home,take a leaf from the Korean book which permitted the massacre of 165 students at Gwangju University in order to restore order in 1980.

Which is to be Yingluck? Please don’t say you don't know anything about this but you have assigned officials to study the issue.

By quoting all these so-called 'standards', which are really just straw-man quotes, you only reveal your complete bias. The Kent State shooting in the US occurred during a student demonstration and everyone now agrees that it should not have happened. Moreover, at the time immediately after that shootings, hundreds of college campuses in the US were shut-down by students protesting the shoots and there was also a big march on Washington DC. The entire affair brought a complete change in how police handle protesting crowds. PM Yingluck seems to have learned (as Abhisit did not) that non-violent, ie., non-shooting, methods of crowd control are infinity better.

How do you know Abhisit didn't learn? You would agree that he's a pretty sharp individual. The question I have is what exactly did he learn and what would he have done differently. Having your capitol's downtown occupied for several weeks is a big problem. Law enforcement often requires the use of force.

What would you do if your soldiers were being fired-upon? Distribute thicker body armor to the troops?

I am continuously amazed that, upon retiring from the U.S., my conservative opponents are well and ensconced in Thailand. When will it be learned...share the wealth more equitably or face continuous societal problems. Yes, different in different countries but it will strain. The Shinawatras and Obama were elected as a result of rebelling against the inequity. The wealth gap has grown too wide.

"The wealth gap has grown too wide."

Probably because Thaksin and his cronies have removed most of the wealth?

• Like 1

Agreed. PM Yingluck is handling the situation extremely well. The police must begin to protect government buildings - that is what they are supposed to do. The protesters don't have any right to repeatedly occupy government buildings. Right on, YL...you go, girl!!!

Which is precisely what the protesters want. Thank you for putting your views so precisely.

"The wealth gap has grown too wide."

Probably because Thaksin and his cronies have removed most of the wealth?

Thank goodness there are no corrupt Dems or the country would be bankrupt!

There is only one man in Thailand, who everybody would agree to, to make an apointment of a civil adminastrator. The person appointed should be someone who can not be bought, a person of Bill Gates wealth. The person also shoud not be Thai but knowledgeable of asian customs.

After a military coup, this person would be put in charge for a period of 2 to 3 years before holding a new election.

Just a dream whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Thailand does not have a proportional representation system but a mixture of a direct vote and a party list. Each voter votes twice - once for their individual choice & once for their party of choice.

Yingluck was on the party list. What the 'elections are the only answer' dingbats don't realise is that her party - PTP - does not hold internal elections for PM. There is no internal democracy within that party - all positions, including YL's - are selected by one (crook) person - her brother.

I find it so difficult to understand how an almost totally peaceful series of demonstrations can be disrupted by those oh so peaceful red shirts. They never resort to intimidation & violence and would never attack their opponents. I'm hoping to get a red shirt from Santa this year. wink.png

The constitution that applied when she became leader of the PTP party was created by a coup lead government that was much friendly to Democrats than the other side.

She was leader of the party when it went to the polls was it not?

Her and her party won 265 out of 500 seats based on the rules set down in that constitution..... If it was a system based on Canada/UK then it would have been an overwhelming landslide with no need to cosy up to any other parties at all.

She did pass a law that was found to be unconstitutional.... that happens all the time and the law is stricten but that does not delegitimize the government....

She did try to pass an amnesty bill, there was opposition, there was protests - all legitimate to this point. At this point Suthep should have declared victory and gone home ready to fight another day and another battle.

But then Suthep started trying to overthrow the current elected government (i.e. legitimate government) (a definite violation of Section 68 of that constitution)..... that should never be allowed.... but then this is Thailand with 15 coups over the last 80 years..... constitutions are meant to be ignored and or torn up when it suits people like Suthep.

• Like 2