Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JT - The driver obviously believed you breached the 10B travelling distance.

I don't care what he believed. Nobody has a right to physically attack a person, unless you are attacked first. In this case there was not even verbal insults towards the driver.

Im curious, where do you draw the line.

What if the driver had consumed more yaba than his regular daily dose, and he decided to kill the OP. Would that also be acceptable to you?

I am really coriuous, maybe you find the time to reply! It is a sensible question, I feel. Because after vicious assault, the only step further is killing a man.

Happy to reply.

You're an excellent "snipper" of quotes to justify your point of view or twist the context of a post.

Go back and re-read my post #159 that you snipped, and you will see (in bold letters) "The violence is not justified...."

My post in no way supports any act of violence.

I am in full agreement with you that nobody has a right to physically attack a person. Your questions to me are therefore irrelevant, as are the misrepresentative assertions you are making.

I really don't know why you chose to snip one line of my post to imply that I support violence, or endorse the act of violence against the OP.

But then, this is TV where the facts should never get in the way of a good rant.

Cheers facepalm.gif

• Like 1

The OP was physically assaulted and should have reported the matter to the Tourist Police as soon as it happened. The taxi and driver may be long gone but he had the cab number and there may have been witnesses as well as evidence of injuries?

The OP may have felt he had won the lottery in getting a non-stop songtaew from Jomtien to Central for 10 baht but that is neither here nor there in this instance.

I am not going to read the whole diatribe to see if the driver got his full fare or just his 'pound of flesh' as that is also irrelevant.

The OP was assaulted and the police should have been notified. There's even a hot-line phone number to file complaints.

TV agony aunts aint going to make it all better. Never have and never will.

• Like 1

I'd rather sit and have a beer and chinwag with a baht bus driver than the idiots on thai visa smile.png

How about those long-time tourists who think it's über cool to sit on a seat with the massage ladies outside their shop and people watch?

Read the whole thread btw.... slow morning anyway.

I still reckon the OP should have reported it and good to know that the violent driver didn't get any extra money out of the OP despite the bitch slapping and kicking.

• Like 1

Because of the numerous blanks or grey areas in the story that you are not prepared to discuss I was thinking about what you wrote in post-53

“ Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away.”

Perhaps he interpreted your gesture of walking away as “ take it or leave it “ whereas if you had just spent a few extra seconds explaining where you had got on and why he was asking you to pay more now than what you normally pay he may have backed off? There must have been something in the attitude you conveyed to him that set him off.

OP said, "I am not pissing. 10!" and didn't use khrap. Mai chai means 'no, it isn't' [in this case]. Mai chi means 'I am not pissing' or 'I didn't piss' or any other tense.

Could that have been what really annoyed the driver? Or the failure to use khrap. It really does make a difference.

I actually find the name calling here funny. There are some cool comments but mostly like a pack of hyenas who have smelled blood. I will leave the thread now as the query from the OP is well answered ... violent drivers are largely above the law.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am in no way condoning the driver here, what he did was wrong however you keep on insisting "they are largely above the Law"

Well you don't know if that is true because you haven't reported it to the Police

You probably are not the first person he has used violence against and won't be the last, the reason is because you and possibly others have not reported this guy and because of this no action has been taken against him and he thinks he can just carry on doing what he wants

Maybe if action had been taken before this incident he would not have used violence against you, if you report him maybe you are saving the next person from being assaulted

You will only know if he is "above the law" if you report him and then he carries on doing what he did to you to other people

• Like 1

Right.. my first response would be to state where I got on, just in case he confused me with someone else.. Something like 'Pattaya klang to Soi 6 na?' with a genuinely perplexed look most likely. That just can't ever be 20 baht. If he would still insist (would be a first) I would probably just pay it, with a somewhat bemused look showing some genuine regret that he feels the need to ask for 10 baht extra.

End of the day though, it's not about 10 baht, it's about violence in a situation that really doesn't call for it.

I have noticed something new and it happens quite often . From Jomtien beach rd, I normally want to go to Central festival and I normally pay 10 baht . But I have experienced that the driver stops just before Pattaya Tai and everyone are asked to leave and pay 10 baht. Then the same driver just go another 100 meters and stop and pick up new passengers! I had to run and catch the same baht bus again to pay another 10 baht to Central !!

I have noticed something new and it happens quite often . From Jomtien beach rd, I normally want to go to Central festival and I normally pay 10 baht . But I have experienced that the driver stops just before Pattaya Tai and everyone are asked to leave and pay 10 baht. Then the same driver just go another 100 meters and stop and pick up new passengers! I had to run and catch the same baht bus again to pay another 10 baht to Central !!

Two fingers in a V sign in the air (or 20 baht note) while saying 'Central Festival' would likely save the rush across the street?

Go back and re-read my post #159 that you snipped, and you will see (in bold letters) "The violence is not justified...."

My post in no way supports any act of violence. 

I reread your comment that I quoted, I admit I quotted only that one line, and not your full post. It ended up as if you found drivers action acceptable.

I apologize!

Its just that when I wrote my comment last night, I was so angry... about people demanding to know what was the route, and how much was the disputed fare.

Few seemed to care that one our own was assaulted by a local, and how they get away with, and it is norm in this country.

Few seemed to care that one our own was assaulted by a local

One of our own?

You've made at least one other post that includes this "us versus them" construct. I don't remember receiving an invitation to join your group, and would almost certainly decline if offered.

In fact, I don't know you from Adam, so if you got into an argument or physical altercation with one of my Thai in-laws or friends, you'd be one of "them" and certainly not "one of my own".

• Like 2

Could that have been what really annoyed the driver? Or the failure to use khrap. It really does make a difference.

That bothered me too. If you are going to speak Thai at all you should always remember the krap (or ka). Even when I say something basic like "thank you" or "hello" in English to a Thai here I always add "krap". It's always paid off for me here, as has politeness in farangland.

This has happened to me too, but he crossed the intersection and then we off boarded.

One of our own?

You've made at least one other post that includes this "us versus them" construct.    I don't remember receiving an invitation to join your group, and would almost certainly decline if offered.

In fact, I don't know you from Adam, so if you got into an argument or physical altercation with one of my Thai in-laws or friends, you'd be one of "them" and certainly not "one of my own".

I meant TV member, one of our own.

But I get what you are saying.

The thing is, wheaher you like it or not, you are one us, foreigners.

I understand you siding with your Thai inlaws, if foreigner would have a fight with Thai. They are your family, it would be very odd if you'd side with stranger.

But are you sure your inlaws would do the same for you?

I have read opinions from people who have lived here 20 years, some say Thais never accept a foreigner, as an equal family member. Some even say you can have a family here, but they consider you somewere between Indian, and dog.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because of the numerous blanks or grey areas in the story that you are not prepared to discuss I was thinking about what you wrote in post-53

“ Normal 10 baht bus ride. I paid 10. He demanded 20. I only said mai chi sip and walked away.”

Perhaps he interpreted your gesture of walking away as “ take it or leave it “ whereas if you had just spent a few extra seconds explaining where you had got on and why he was asking you to pay more now than what you normally pay he may have backed off? There must have been something in the attitude you conveyed to him that set him off.

OP said, "I am not pissing. 10!" and didn't use khrap. Mai chai means 'no, it isn't' [in this case]. Mai chi means 'I am not pissing' or 'I didn't piss' or any other tense.

The OP simply mis-transliterated "Chai" and spelt it "chi". I'm sure he said Mai Chai and pronounced correctly meaning No.

I doubt the OP would know the Thai word for urinate/piss "chee" as you are suggesting.

And if he did somehow say "I'm not pissing", I doubt if adding the kap/khrap would have endeared him to the driver in any way. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I actually find the name calling here funny. There are some cool comments but mostly like a pack of hyenas who have smelled blood. I will leave the thread now as the query from the OP is well answered ... violent drivers are largely above the law.

Yes, and I find it hard to understand why people are so eager to discuss minor details.

In what world is it ever okay to physically assault an older gentleman for any reason whatsoever.

I would have made a complaint by the way. The fewer people speak up / speak out, the longer it will continue, with what is a small minority of bad-apple drivers, but they give everyone a bad name. The good ones will also benefit when the behavior of bad-apples is challenged.

Paying a somewhat small amount can always happen; for example if I only have a 10 baht coin and 100 baht notes and nothing in between, with a long-ish trip from Jomtien to past Central Pattaya Road. I would normally be inclined to pay 20, but hesitant to wait for change from a 100. I can imagine giving him the 10 in such a case. If this scenario (or similar) is enough to cause violence then something is very wrong.

MINOR details like what route the baht bus took, how much baht was the dispute actually over are IMO relevant to this thread started by Mr Jingthing, but Jingthing earlier in the thread that he started, refused to discuss what you probably believe to be minor details....

It seems to me that the MINOR details are what this thread is all about....So why was Mr jing refusing to discuss them, Oh I get it, it's jingthings thread and he'll only play ball with those who side by him or pity him....IMO...Shall we have a poll on that...

Why is it that certain people can go through life without getting into arguments and getting beaten up, whilst others get into arguments quite easily, maybe it's about a little thing called BAD ATTITUDE hey...Maybe people become more cantankerous as they get older......

I'm not condoning what the driver (alledgedly did) but I'm saying that a lot of things in life can be avoided.....

Jingle Bells

Jingle bells

Jingle all the way

Oh what fun it is

To ride a baht bus every day.,..

Maybe he made all just up to increase his post count.

• Like 1