Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

I agree...we all need to speak such a universal language.

I know if I learnt to read, write and speak fluently it would open doors around the globe for me.

This, like many other TV Contributors who like to put down everything Thai, is moronic. We live here, It's the main language here, knowing it makes life here more enjoyable as you can communicate, read anything (menus, many road signs with no English, etc). It's about living.

The writer above.is most likely the same sort of person who in their homeland say about immigrants "why don't they learn bloody English" .

I won't say these TV contributors should go home, because I'm sure where they left from breathed a sigh of relief when they left

• Like 1

I speak a fair amount of Thai, self taught. It is much harder than Indonesian, which I also learned while living there. To me it is a sign of respect to learn the local language, plus you are less at the mercy of those Thai who have learned English. Conversations with Thais who are not in some sort of business relationship requiring English can be refreshing. I have not yet learned to read Thai, which is not easy. Generally the words areallruntogetherlikethis which can compound the difficulty. However. to condemn those who don't or haven't learned Thai does smack of some sort of "I'm better than you" mentality. We put our energy where our interests lie, plain and simple.

"Not teaching you Thai is about dishonesty and control.

She can cheat, lie, steal, manipulate and control you with ease while you can't speak Thai."

True, but it's not always the case. I hear so many stories of such liars and cheaters, indeed these pages are full of them, but I also hear of genuine, lasting and faithful friendships between Thai girls and farang men. I too could lie and cheat but I don't and neither does she. I am a lucky man and I know it.

Oh, I read that post differently. I think the poster was talking about girlfriends and wives who ACTIVELY try to discourage their boyfriends/husbands from learning Thai. I have seen that one for myself and actually heard it said many times "I don't want a foreigner who speaks Thai...they know too much" and things like that.

My wife didn't care one way or the other and thinks I am a little crazy for learning it on my own (and yeah, I am). But I think it is a red flag if a woman actually really doesn't want you to learn Thai.

• Like 1

"Not teaching you Thai is about dishonesty and control.

She can cheat, lie, steal, manipulate and control you with ease while you can't speak Thai."

True, but it's not always the case. I hear so many stories of such liars and cheaters, indeed these pages are full of them, but I also hear of genuine, lasting and faithful friendships between Thai girls and farang men. I too could lie and cheat but I don't and neither does she. I am a lucky man and I know it.

Oh, I read that post differently. I think the poster was talking about girlfriends and wives who ACTIVELY try to discourage their boyfriends/husbands from learning Thai. I have seen that one for myself and actually heard it said many times "I don't want a foreigner who speaks Thai...they know too much" and things like that.

My wife didn't care one way or the other and thinks I am a little crazy for learning it on my own (and yeah, I am). But I think it is a red flag if a woman actually really doesn't want you to learn Thai.

However when your wife/GF doesn't speak English then the decision becomes easy.

It's a bit confusing when both Lao and Thai needs to be learned. I only spend 2 months at a time there but determined to learn. I do know that the entire topic of conversation for one day can be only Jackpot numbers.

The first thing to learn is numbers, that's a good one and an easy one.

Can't speak for everyone....but for me after living here for 10 years (vocabulary of mayber 500 words)....my Thai is very basic....

WHY?...First off I'm an old man and its hard enough for me to remember where I left the car keys! let alone learn a "tonal" language like Thai.

Next....don't really need much more than the basic's that I know to communicate with the Thai's.....isn't That what its all about ...communication!

So why the attitude .....congrats to you....but each to their own

Come on Sir ... Would you really consider living in France and not speak conversational French at some level? In fact, why would you even want to live in a country where you can't read, write, or speak?

why would you ask silly questions dear Sir? especially when they concern things that are none of your business? my wife and my[not so]humble self live quite happily in Thailand (soon nearly ten years). we can't read or write Thai and our spoken Thai is limited to some polite phrases.

France of course would be a different animal because i grew up bilingual French and German.

• Like 1

I speak a fair amount of Thai, self taught. It is much harder than Indonesian, which I also learned while living there. To me it is a sign of respect to learn the local language, plus you are less at the mercy of those Thai who have learned English. Conversations with Thais who are not in some sort of business relationship requiring English can be refreshing. I have not yet learned to read Thai, which is not easy. Generally the words areallruntogetherlikethis which can compound the difficulty. However. to condemn those who don't or haven't learned Thai does smack of some sort of "I'm better than you" mentality. We put our energy where our interests lie, plain and simple.

Reading Thai is a lot easier than trying to speak it.

The words flowing together is not a problem.

• Like 1

Can't speak for everyone....but for me after living here for 10 years (vocabulary of mayber 500 words)....my Thai is very basic....

WHY?...First off I'm an old man and its hard enough for me to remember where I left the car keys! let alone learn a "tonal" language like Thai.

Next....don't really need much more than the basic's that I know to communicate with the Thai's.....isn't That what its all about ...communication!

So why the attitude .....congrats to you....but each to their own

Come on Sir ... Would you really consider living in France and not speak conversational French at some level? In fact, why would you even want to live in a country where you can't read, write, or speak?
why would you ask silly questions dear Sir? especially when they concern things that are none of your business? my wife and my[not so]humble self live quite happily in Thailand (soon nearly ten years). we can't read or write Thai and our spoken Thai is limited to some polite phrases.

France of course would be a different animal because i grew up bilingual French and German.

I would also add, I quite enjoy speaking with French, German and Spanish, many of whom are educated and widely travelled.

Thai speakers on the other hand, mostly uneducated boors, never been anywhere but their village and BK/CM/Pats.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I speak fluently 6 languages, German, French, Italian, English, Spanish and Portuguese. I have some knowledge in 3 others, Serbo-Croatish, Indonesian / Malay and Russian. But with the Thai language I have a problem, I know some basic expressions and key words. Why? Thai is not easy to learn, because of writing, intonation etc.

• Like 1

The importance of learning a new language is not dependant on whether or not that language is of economic significance. We should respect all languages in the world. If you're in china, learn mandarin. If you're in thailand, learn thai. Simple as that.

I lived in Hawaii for most of my life before coming to Thailand. I was a minority in Hawaii (white) and I remain a minority in Thailand. The situation in Hawaii is not much different than Thailand. Farangs are called 'haoles' [people without the breath of life] or in some instances 'shark bait'. Nearly everyone speaks English except the new immigrants. But there is a 'pidgin' English that the 'locals' speak and it is necessary to learn if you want to give any appearance that you are trying to assimilate to 'local' culture. As in Thailand, if you weren't born in Hawaii, you will never be 'local' no matter how hard you try.

But I do agree with earlier posts that learning the local language shows respect to those who are hosting you in their country. When I go to the market and chat with the sellers or start up a conversation with someone on the bus, there is a real element of surprise and elation by Thais to see that you can speak Thai. Owning property or becoming a citizen is less important that trying to show that I am making an earnest effort to assimilate. But with the color of my skin and eyes, I know that it will never be 'completely' possible. It is a personal choice. I am sure that my Thai is generally terrible because I don't concentrate on the tones. But, for the most part, I am understood. It's so funny when I am speaking Thai to several people and one Thai will translate my Thai to the other. But as the lyrics in the Crosby, Stills and Nash song go: If you smile at me, I will understand because that is something that everyone does in the same language. If you don't want to learn Thai, just smile a lot!

• Like 1

Thai is in fact one of the easiest Asian languages to learn (Japanese and Korean being thge hardest). Much of the grammar in Thai resembles romance and celrtic languages in the sense that the adjective foillows the noun and there are subordinate clauses in the language. Korean, Japanese and Chinese don't have suboredinate clauses. Rather, they turn phrases into a kind of adjectival phrases which foreigners find particularly difficult to master, even after speaking those languages for years.

I don't live in Thailand and have never lived there. However, I have learnt to read Thai and could manage it the first time I went to the country after learning to read. However, I have now forgotten it again and will need to learn it again. Those living in the country would not forget it. After all, Thai script is simple compared with Japanese and Chinese. I also try and order things using Thai and Thais are usually far friendlier as a result, especially in tourist areas where most other farang know nothing.

Just as a matter of general information, I can speak 8 languages, five of them to native-tongue level.

8 languages eh? Wow, You must be 7 times more 'superior' than I am then. Is Irish, Geordie, Brummy, Scottish, and Cockney 5 of them? I can do those pretty well.

Reading Thai is a lot easier than trying to speak it.

The words flowing together is not a problem.

Interesting – thanks – may be a way to lern...

What an appallingly aggressive post! Why don't you write in Thai?>. I speak Thai fluently can read and write as do my

children and most of my of my farang friends and am not like my Thai neighbors who pretend they can speak, read and write English..but cannot and why would they? Where we live most people speak, read, write 4/5 languages.

Not sure what your problem is. What kind of people do you hang out with? Certainly not people I know!!

• Like 1

What an appallingly aggressive post! Why don't you write in Thai?>. I speak Thai fluently can read and write as do my

children and most of my of my farang friends and am not like my Thai neighbors who pretend they can speak, read and write English..but cannot and why would they? Where we live most people speak, read, write 4/5 languages.

Not sure what your problem is. What kind of people do you hang out with? Certainly not people I know!!

WOW, sounds like you live in the Bangkok Hilton............whistling.gif ........................laugh.png

I think, in general, that we should not care, or worse, interfere with what our fellow ex-pats decide to do ... or not do.

It's no business of mine.

Of course, if they need a helping hand ... I'm first to offer mine.

But, if they wish to learn the Thai Language ... fine.

If they wish to become a master potter, or fisherman, or cook ...fine.

... and if they choose not to do ... fine by me also.

Enjoy your own life and don't be a back-seat driver to other's lives.

Well said, sir ! clap2.gif

That puts paid to all those who say there isn't intelligent life on ThaiVisa.

As far as the language thing goes there are a few reasons why my own Thai language skills are sub standard for someone who has been here for ten years.

I've lways enjoyed learning new languages and can get by to varying degrees in several Latin based ones and I fully intended to do the same with Thai when I came to live here too but I readily admit my spoken Thai is no better than average. The reasons (or excuses if you like!) are that my wife speaks good English and so now does my son, I never watch Thai TV except for the news and as a long term 'paying guest' in Thailand I've little incentive to learn to read or write it anyway.

I'm not proud of my failings in this regard but it doesn't bother me either. smile.png

edit English typo!

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Because 90 percent of Thai conversations are about food, and I don't care what they ate, when they ate it, was it good, when will they eat next etc....

Total rubbish.

Also, I can't understand the people who say they don't want to talk to Thais.

I can speak, read and write due to simple hard work learning.

Was it a waste of time? Of course not. I just bought a house and it would have been extremely difficult if I couldn't have read the mortgage details or been able to tell the builders what to do.

I just built a shed and to go around shops asking for advice on what material to use etc would have been impossible if I was linguistically challenged. I read newspapers to see what's going on.

If you are a long-term tourist I guess there's no need to learn. If you're happy to be chained to your wife, fair enough. I could think of nothing worse than having to take my wife to the mechanic, bank, barber, etc. Learning the language gives so much freedom. I'd be totally embarrassed if after a few years I was still using sign language.

I spoke to the local 'head man' at eh weekend regarding security of my house and noise levels.

Last week I had had a drink with my neighbour and I learned a lot about Thai history.

Today, I went to the bank and discussed my mortgage. Yesterday, I had a meeting with one of my kid's teachers to discuss her getting off school for travelling to Bangkok. I could go on but basically, I live a normal life and to say the use of the language is a waste of time is ridiculous.

There are no excuses - only laziness and lack of motivation. Age is irrelevant. I'm no youngster and I'm learning Chinese at the moment. I know old guys, one in his 70s, who have learned to speak Thai fluently.

Today I bought my beer, noooooooooo probs.....................Sign language.....................clap2.gif

• Like 2

I don't speek as much as I want but more then enough to hold conversation understand what people are saying. The next step would be for me to learn to read. I think its important if you ever want to be independent. It helps me a lot in many ways. I already speak 3 languages and this will be my 4th. For me its a time issue its hard to combine it with my work and hobbies. But as I now speak quite a lot (not good enough to follow the news or movies though soap operas are not a problem) i don't know about writing. I do know that I want to go on developing my oral Thai language skills.

For reading and writing, check this out. Very good for beginners. With those chapters I also practiced writing all of it. There are two books; this is the first one.

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/thai/maanii1/fsmaanii1.htm

• Like 1

The importance of learning a new language is not dependant on whether or not that language is of economic significance. We should respect all languages in the world. If you're in china, learn mandarin. If you're in thailand, learn thai. Simple as that.

Or, if I may add, just speak English, so much easier, I learnt English from birth, so not hard for me.

But all of you multi-linguists can make us feel inferior if it makes you happy, us older folk don't really give a toss, we'll never master the Thai language now, it's too late for our shrivelled up grey matter to absorb such information. I could say more but it's tiresome now......to the bar, "Leo, Krap!" Kob Kuhn Krap.

It requires a lot of effort on our part.

Thailand makes it near impossible to ever become a citizen, we're not allowed to buy land, etc, etc, etc

Due to this most people will only regard themselves as temporary visitors so why bother learn a language that is only useful in a country where you're staying on a temporary basis.

Long term temporary or not, I don't see the point. I will never be here permanently and I'll move on at some time in the future at which point Thai becomes useless and I have less useless things to spend my time on.

Sorry but the part of becoming a citizen is not true. Its not anymore difficult than in any western country. If you pay taxes and work here on a work permit you can be a citizen within 5 years the same as most other countries. Plus in most developed countries they put an age restriction where as here there are none.

If I may point out the error of your post.

In Thailand

You have to earn 50k a month (Thai minimum wage 9k/month), taxable and earned within Thailand with a work permit.

In employment no Thai can do. Almost impossible for most people.

In the UK

You have to have a family income of 1500gbp/month (UK minimum wage 800gbp/month).

You can work in any job from the day you arrive, no work permit required.

Your income can be earned from anything, anywhere in the world.

IN Thailand you only have to earn 40k if you are married. You can have an income from anywhere but just pay tax on it here.

Citizenship, if married to a Thai, is easier than me getting Citizenship for nearly every other country.

Because 90 percent of Thai conversations are about food, and I don't care what they ate, when they ate it, was it good, when will they eat next etc....

Total rubbish.

Was it a waste of time? Of course not. I just bought a house and it would have been extremely difficult if I couldn't have read the mortgage details or been able to tell the builders what to do.

I just built a shed and to go around shops asking for advice on what material to use etc would have been impossible if I was linguistically challenged. I read newspapers to see what's going on.

If you are a long-term tourist I guess there's no need to learn. If you're happy to be chained to your wife, fair enough. I could think of nothing worse than having to take my wife to the mechanic, bank, barber, etc. Learning the language gives so much freedom. I'd be totally embarrassed if after a few years I was still using sign language.

I spoke to the local 'head man' at eh weekend regarding security of my house and noise levels.

Last week I had had a drink with my neighbour and I learned a lot about Thai history.

Today, I went to the bank and discussed my mortgage. Yesterday, I had a meeting with one of my kid's teachers to discuss her getting off school for travelling to Bangkok. I could go on but basically, I live a normal life and to say the use of the language is a waste of time is ridiculous.

There are no excuses - only laziness and lack of motivation. Age is irrelevant. I'm no youngster and I'm learning Chinese at the moment. I know old guys, one in his 70s, who have learned to speak Thai fluently.

cheesy.gif Oh the power of internet screen, one can be anything or anyone he wants to be with any achievements

In this case you even know a 70 year old who learned fluent Thaiclap2.gif

I am native English speaker and i would not know half of the terms when it comes to construction

But you on the other hand are fluent IN Thai to a point of not only knowing spoken language but also know all the terms for construction and Thai history.

Keep it up, i had a great laughthumbsup.gif

Total rubbish.

Today I bought my beer, noooooooooo probs.....................Sign language.....................clap2.gif

Would it be too much to learn "ow bia singh kuat neung"? The first words I learned were "bia Singh eek kuat" out of desperation rather than anything else.

Or, if I may add, just speak English, so much easier, I learnt English from birth, so not hard for me.

But all of you multi-linguists can make us feel inferior if it makes you happy, us older folk don't really give a toss, we'll never master the Thai language now, it's too late for our shrivelled up grey matter to absorb such information. I could say more but it's tiresome now......to the bar, "Leo, Krap!" Kob Kuhn Krap.

I just say Baa..locks to em, mind you I'm from Yorkshire and we have a pretty good understanding of sheep...... It is funny though how some sheeple think they are superior to others if they can read and write the language of the country they live in...bah.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

It requires a lot of effort on our part.

Thailand makes it near impossible to ever become a citizen, we're not allowed to buy land, etc, etc, etc

Due to this most people will only regard themselves as temporary visitors so why bother learn a language that is only useful in a country where you're staying on a temporary basis.

Long term temporary or not, I don't see the point. I will never be here permanently and I'll move on at some time in the future at which point Thai becomes useless and I have less useless things to spend my time on.

Sorry but the part of becoming a citizen is not true. Its not anymore difficult than in any western country. If you pay taxes and work here on a work permit you can be a citizen within 5 years the same as most other countries. Plus in most developed countries they put an age restriction where as here there are none.

If I may point out the error of your post.

In Thailand

You have to earn 50k a month (Thai minimum wage 9k/month), taxable and earned within Thailand with a work permit.

In employment no Thai can do. Almost impossible for most people.

In the UK

You have to have a family income of 1500gbp/month (UK minimum wage 800gbp/month).

You can work in any job from the day you arrive, no work permit required.

Your income can be earned from anything, anywhere in the world.

IN Thailand you only have to earn 40k if you are married. You can have an income from anywhere but just pay tax on it here.

Citizenship, if married to a Thai, is easier than me getting Citizenship for nearly every other country.

May be its just YOU, because where i come from, one does not need to pay any tax to get citizenship, just need to be married to someone for a specific period of time is already enough.

As for one paying taxes and working on most other civilized countries, one also does not have to be married to get the citizenship nor does one need to go infront of a panel of sour faces and sing national anthem.

• Like 1

Total rubbish.

Best post of the thread. I openly admit I am just far too lazy to write Thai. That is what my staff is for :) Reading, however was simply too vital to ignore!

I am guessing that most of the people claiming age as the impediment to learning Thai are living in a farang ghetto like Pattaya. That has always boggled my mind, but I did not move here at 39 for what Pattaya has to offer.

The effort really is minimal and the rewards are vast.

• Like 1