Is it worth repairing?

HardenedSoul

I've got two HP 2309m 23 inch monitors I use simultaneously while working

One's packed up.

I can't find a new one for sale as they've been discontinued and I definitely don't want to buy two new monitors.

I'd be willing to do a couple of grand on a repair if I could get another year out of it.

Is it worth getting the faulty monitor repaired and, if so, does anyone have any recommendations based on good service they've received?

Thanks

Edit: I'm in Asoke, Bangkok

c01658989.jpg

Edited by HardenedSoul

Why would you need to buy two monitors? Repair or replace the one that is not working

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because I need them to be the same.

I can't replace the faulty one because it's no longer available for sale.

Hence the question, "is it worth repairing?"

I ask because I don't know if it's common to repair monitors any more.

"Packed up" symptoms definitely might help...

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok

The power switch (at the bottom right corner) blinks slowly and the screen is completely blank.

Not flickering or anything like that; it's black as if it's switched off and unplugged.

The graphics card is fine as I've got the remaining 2309m monitor AND a spare 22 inch monitor plugged in as I type.

• Like 1

Wouldn't write it off just yet. Take it to the shop and let them have a look first, might be something simple and inexpensive.

I just had 32" Samsung go bad on me and not being a sparky myself, thought that was it. Looked on Youtube and learned it was a common Samsung issue with capacitors. Opened the back panel, sure enough, saw the leaking black X mark on one capacitor just like on YT video. Local mom and pop shop replaced the bad capacitor and another that was swelling up/about to go as well. 15 minutes, 50 Baht total, TV works again. Brilliant!

Wouldn't write it off just yet. Take it to the shop and let them have a look first, might be something simple and inexpensive.

I just had 32" Samsung go bad on me and not being a sparky myself, thought that was it. Looked on Youtube and learned it was a common Samsung issue with capacitors. Opened the back panel, sure enough, saw the leaking black X mark on one capacitor just like on YT video. Local mom and pop shop replaced the bad capacitor and another that was swelling up/about to go as well. 15 minutes, 50 Baht total, TV works again. Brilliant!

Ah this is what I love about TV. Away from the all-out war on the general forum, there's a wealth of advice and experience.

Thanks very much for your help.

• Like 2

I always try to fix things first,I have lots of things I keep

fixing,if I cannot do myself,plenty of repair people who

can and the prices are very reasonable, in the West

its probably too expensive to fix stuff,its really a throw

away society,which is not good for the environment,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Or just take the beast to Amorn Service on the top floor of Fortune, they'll fix it (or quote), reasonable prices.

Forgot to follow up but I took the monitor to Amorn as suggested. Apparently needed new "condenser" - cost 1500 baht. Not sure if I got knocked or not but far cheaper and more convenient than buying another screen which wouldn't have matched.

Working perfectly well . . .

. . . for now

Condenser is the old (very) name for capacitor, probably nearer 150 Baht if it was just one, but you have a result and are happy smile.png

Very often these kind of faults have a standard repair kit, full set of caps plus anything else that tends to fail, so 1500 isn't really a bad deal.

• Like 1

Ah ok. Sounds reasonable. Can't argue with 500 baht. Thanks

yes a very good chance that replacing the capacitors is fixing things....Costs 50-500 Baht.

If that does not help there is a good chance that it isn't worth to repair.

Condenser is the old (very) name for capacitor, probably nearer 150 Baht if it was just one, but you have a result and are happy smile.png

Very often these kind of faults have a standard repair kit, full set of caps plus anything else that tends to fail, so 1500 isn't really a bad deal.

Oh yes, it was the condenser. I haven't heard that term since my old man and I used to 'fix' old 405-line b & w telly's on the kitchen table. Every weekend we would start with 4 or 5 bad ones and see if we could make at least a couple of working ones and flog them.

Beware of any techie shop that charges you to 'replace the valves' though!