My house exploded

PeterSmiles

At least that is how it sounds. I have house that was finished about 3 years ago.

In the morning when the house heats up, and in the night time when it cools down, I always hear some small " knocks " .

It can be the galvanized gutter that expands and shrinks from the temperature difference, but there are also small sounds that sound like someone uses a hammer to knock on a wall.I guess that must be the roof steel that hetas up or cools down and transfer the sound to the roof tiles or where it is connected to the columns.

I have been explained by my constructor that this is normal and is called barn laam or something. Maybe someone can confirm if this is true or not.

Now I don't worry so much about that, but maybe I should (?), but for the past 10 days or so I will hear a loud knock in the morning alays at the same location. This sound comes clearly not from the rain gutter but either from the roof or wall and sounds like a loud bang on the wall or like a gunshot.

It's obvious that it has to do with heating up something, since it every day happen at almost the same time and in the same location.I almost can adjust my watch on it, as it will happen at 8.30am .

It also happens only once, but every day again at the same time. I don't recall hearing it prior to 10 days ago, but maybe I missed it or maybe it wasn't that hot . I have visually inspected the area from where the sound comes, but on first glance I can't notice any damage there.

Do I have to be concerned ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only get the guttering making clicking noises as it heats up.

The steel frame and how it is tied to the roof should allow some expansion without causing high levels of stress.

I am guessing the expansion is causing a build up of force which suddenly gives!

I am tempted to say look closely at the junctions in the steel frame where you hear the noise...... likely red-lead will have rubbed off where it is giving.

I have that insulating foam on the underside of my roof tiles, keeps heat out and sound levels down too!

I  only get the guttering making clicking noises as it heats up.

The steel frame and how it is tied to the roof should allow some expansion without causing high levels of stress.

I am guessing the expansion is causing a build up of force which suddenly gives!

I am tempted to say look closely at the junctions in the steel frame where you hear the noise...... likely red-lead will have rubbed off where it is giving.

I have that insulating foam on the underside of my roof tiles, keeps heat out and sound levels down too!

Where did you get the insulating foam from?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Where'd you get the red lead from???????

it's the expansion and contraction of your roof's steel structure. we experience it once in a while during the cool season when the temperature changes abruptly and it can be as loud as a cannon blast.

So you think nothing to worry about ?

The strange thing that strikes me is that it happens at 8.30am, I would have thought that by that time not much heat can be build up yet, or do I see that wrong ?

Unfortunately the area where the sound seems to happen is not accessible.

I remember from Isaan houses with steel plate roof, that ir cracks every morning when heated up by sun, and again every evening when it begins to get cold. Most likely the steel construction in your house.

The thing is that I don't have a steel plate roof, but Ceris clay tiles instead

I remember from Isaan houses with steel plate roof, that ir cracks every morning when heated up by sun, and again every evening when it begins to get cold. Most likely the steel construction in your house.

The comment apertains to the supporting structure which is made of steel. I've not seen roofing panels made of steel here, but maybe there are some that use galvanized steel. Most metal roofs are constructed from aluminium sheet a with steel supporting frame.

These frames will expand and contract with changes of temperature and this is normal in any structure. Noise is generated in areas where there are misalignments and loose fittings in the structure. This doesn't necessarily compromise the structural integrity, but is indicative of a poor build. Like cracking walls.

Jerry

Yes, I know from your post. I am referring to your steel construction under your roof plates. Sorry, I could have stated it more clearly.

The steel roof plate (or metal sheet of some kind of iron-alloy or aluminium) I talk about are placed on wood bearings, but the plates make noise. Can perhaps be both your steel construction and the roof tiles making noise, when the steel expands a little.

Think when constructions expand, it's like something (fittings or...) are holding it back, until the point where the expanding force is the strongest, resulting in a tiny movement and thereby the crack sound. You can experience the same with cliffs/stones in a dessert; and more domestic in older house's central heating system when a timer is placed on the circulation pump; when the pump starts (or stops) the whole house cracks due the metal pipe's expansion.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

The comment apertains to the supporting structure which is made of steel. I've not seen roofing panels made of steel here, but maybe there are some that use galvanized steel. Most metal roofs are constructed from aluminium sheet a with steel supporting frame.

These frames will expand and contract with changes of temperature and this is normal in any structure. Noise is generated in areas where there are misalignments and loose fittings in the structure. This doesn't necessarily compromise the structural integrity, but is indicative of a poor build. Like cracking walls.

Jerry

So you think i may expect some cracks in the wall in the near future ?

Yes, I know from your post. I am referring to your steel construction under your roof plates. Sorry, I could have stated it more clearly.

The steel roof plate (or metal sheet of some kind of iron-alloy or aluminium) I talk about are placed on wood bearings, but the plates make noise. Can perhaps be both your steel construction and the roof tiles making noise, when the steel expands a little.

Think when constructions expand, it's like something (fittings or...) are holding it back, until the point where the expanding force is the strongest, resulting in a tiny movement and thereby the crack sound. You can experience the same with cliffs/stones in a dessert; and more domestic in older house's central heating system when a timer is placed on the circulation pump; when the pump starts (or stops) the whole house cracks due the metal pipe's expansion.

To be honest, I was pulling your leg a little with my remark, I understood what you wanted to say.

I also understand what you are saying in your post above, and I experience those sounds during the morning till about midday and in the night time, they have just started smile.png , but that are actually low noises like someone with a very small hammer is ticking on the wall . I hear them also repeatedly for a few hours in a certain room with intervals of maybe an hour between

The one that happens early morning, and actually happens only once is like someone gives a serious knock with a normal sized hammer , and is heard throughout the house.

Do you think the sounds that you are referring to can be that loud in certain situations ?

Cars make similar "tinging" noises when they are shut down as the metal expands at different rates. I doubt concrete will do the same as it has lower coefficients of expansion. Recently the difference between night-time temperature and the temperature of your roof in the sunshine has increased noticeably which is why it is happening now. Worse-case scenario? One or two fasteners holding the roof steel to the house or the sheets to the steel frame may move. That is about all.

Annoying maybe but not serious. My AC unit in the bedroom does the same after running for a minute or so.

That happened to my floor in pattaya. I just got home in the late afternoon switched off the ac and opened the fan in front of the window. I laid down on the sofa and heard some noise which sounded like something was caught in the fan. Took a peek and didnt see anything so back to resting only to hear more noise. Then i thought <deleted> those animals from the movie tremors are here. They kept popping for days but didnt buckle much more. I went and tapped a lot of them with a quarter and lots were loose....

The good news is i hated that old floor the bad is it cost some money as i replaced all the tile and used proper tile cement.

That happened to my floor in pattaya. I just got home in the late afternoon switched off the ac and opened the fan in front of the window. I laid down on the sofa and heard some noise which sounded like something was caught in the fan. Took a peek and didnt see anything so back to resting only to hear more noise. Then i thought <deleted> those animals from the movie tremors are here. They kept popping for days but didnt buckle much more. I went and tapped a lot of them with a quarter and lots were loose....

The good news is i hated that old floor the bad is it cost some money as i replaced all the tile and used proper tile cement.

But it looks like not only the tiles came loose, but the underlying base cracked up over the whole length in the middle as with an earthquake..

What was the cause for that ?

To be honest, I was pulling your leg a little with my remark, I understood what you wanted to say.

I also understand what you are saying in your post above, and I experience those sounds during the morning till about midday and in the night time, they have just started smile.png , but that are actually low noises like someone with a very small hammer is ticking on the wall . I hear them also repeatedly for a few hours in a certain room with intervals of maybe an hour between

The one that happens early morning, and actually happens only once is like someone gives a serious knock with a normal sized hammer , and is heard throughout the house.

Do you think the sounds that you are referring to can be that loud in certain situations ?

thumbsup.gif

It's getting cold now at night in some areas and stone/concrete keeps temperature for quite some time – warm from day, cool from night – which may effect the steel and cause some delay and/or variation in sound during the year. However I am not at all an expert in theese fields, so I better rest – just mentioned what I have noticed up Isaan and other places (fx. cold Denmark; and the pipe sounds could be very loud, sometimes more like a bang than a serie of cracks).

I live further south with nearly no temperature difference between day and night, and almost same temperature round the year, so I never hear any noise (of that kind) in my new house (3 years old); concrete with steel roof construction and cement-type roof tiles.

I saw one suggested ghost in a post – which make me think of an often recommended Thai-way of solving a problem – have you got Spirit Houses and moved the spirits to their (new) home in a proper way? whistling.gif

But it looks like not only the tiles came loose, but the underlying base cracked up over the whole length in the middle as with an earthquake..

None of the cement below the tiles cracked. Only a guess as to what happened. In my house the tiles were butted up against the walls with no space as they didnt use baseboard trim. I think after being in the ac all day then opening the fan pulling warm air in over the cool tiles there was some expansion with lack of proper tile cement thus creating the tremors movie...

Where'd you get the red lead from???????

Red lead, that is me being old fashioned, but most house frame steel comes ready coated in this red 'paint'.

Insulating foam came with a truck and other equipment and a hefty price tag.

Plenty of outfits doing it.

the expansion/contraction problem increases exponentially with size (length) of the main steel girders which are welded to the steel reinforcement of the concrete pillars. the noise is caused by contraction, i.e. ambient temperate suddenly dropping.

your insulation just lowers the time span till your attic heats up. without good ventilation the heat in your attic will build up as if your insulation does not exist.

it's the expansion and contraction of your roof's steel structure. we experience it once in a while during the cool season when the temperature changes abruptly and it can be as loud as a cannon blast.

So you think nothing to worry about ?

The strange thing that strikes me is that it happens at 8.30am, I would have thought that by that time not much heat can be build up yet, or do I see that wrong ?

Unfortunately the area where the sound seems to happen is not accessible.

there's nothing really to worry about except that in my case it causes hairline cracks left and right of the concrete pillars. no solution available except patching them up. they are tiny that's why paint will do.

0830 am is a bit odd. it should happen before the sun comes up and the temperature is lowest. but it could be that in your case the contraction happens gradually in the night and the expansion (with the sun up) happens faster and causes the noise.

the expansion/contraction problem increases exponentially with size (length) of the main steel girders which are welded to the steel reinforcement of the concrete pillars. the noise is caused by contraction, i.e. ambient temperate suddenly dropping.

your insulation just lowers the time span till your attic heats up. without good ventilation the heat in your attic will build up as if your insulation does not exist

And the noises associated, would they not depend on the rate at which the metal is heating up.

Certainly not directly related to ambient temperature suddenly dropping, more to do with the temperature changes in the steel frame itself!

PS...I guarantee you, my home is cooler with the insulation.

And the interior of the attic is much cooler than the surface of the tiles outside in the direct sunlight! duh

the cause is most probably that the builder used chicken wire in the concrete slab instead of steel reinforcement.

your insulation just lowers the time span till your attic heats up. without good ventilation the heat in your attic will build up as if your insulation does not exist

And the noises associated, would they not depend on the rate at which the metal is heating up.

Certainly not directly related to ambient temperature suddenly dropping, more to do with the temperature changes in the steel frame itself!

PS...I guarantee you, my home is cooler with the insulation.

And the interior of the attic is much cooler than the surface of the tiles outside in the direct sunlight! duh

-in my case the noise is not caused by heating up (expansion) but by cooling down (contraction) as the noise occurs only in the early morning hours (0300-0500 hours).

-the temperature change of the steel frame is caused by the change of the ambient temperature.

-you can't judge whether your home is cooler with your foam insulation. reason: you would have to measure with and without insulation under the same prevailing circumstances which is "mission impossible".

-of course the attic air is cooler than the surface of the tiles exposed to sun radiation.

the cause is most probably that the builder used chicken wire in the concrete slab instead of steel reinforcement.
I didnt know you were a comedian...:)