3BB vs. TOT Internet on the "Dark side" - Experiences?

Turkleton

especially Neurn Pub Wan area?

Since my TOT ADSL becomes crappier slower from month to month, I wonder if 3BB might be an option?

I am planning to get a second line (3BB), compare it with my existing TOT, than keep the better one.

Is it worth the hassle?

Does 3BB only offer "one-year contracts"?

PS: Fibre (Cable) is no option for some reasons!

How far out on Nernplubwan are you? Maybe you have already checked with True but I heard their system beats TOT for reliability and others for speed. Must be plenty 3BB hubs to get hooked up with?

I am out in Crocodile Farm area (and outside True's area) and the first time I asked 3BB (Tesco Nua office), I was told there was no capacity on the system in my village. A month later, I asked at 3BB (Big C Extra office) and they 'found' another feed in the same village, sent a tech out to measure the distance and I was hooked up in a jiffy on their bog-standard 10Mbps/512Kbps service for 590/month. I may opt to up it to the 13Mbps/1Mbps but so far, the speed has been consistently greater than 10Mbps anyway.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

True cable is no option (like any other cable-internet)

I want to use my own ADSL router/voip gateway from Germany (Fritzbox 7270), which is very difficult/complicated behind a cable modem!

I tried the Fritzbox before with "Sophon-Cable" (which was very slow anyway) and had I had lots of problems to get my different VOIP accounts to work.bah.gif

So it seems, only 3BB is an alternative to TOT.....unfortunately

I know that TOT now offers optic fiber starting at 790baht/month for 16MB download and 1MB upload.

Free installation if you take a one year contract, or 1600 baht installation fee if no contract.

They also offer 20MB down with 2MB up for something like 1200 baht/months, and 30MB down with 3MB up (if I remember correctly) for something like 1600baht/months but I don't recall exactly.

I would recommend against paying attention to the download speed as it is limited to about 4MB max for international bandwidth ANYWAY on ANY KIND OF CONNECTION. So you should only look at the upload speed really – it's the only interesting variable.

The main concern is the availability in your area. It's called "TOT Fiber 2U" and it's MUCH better than any ADSL connection: <15ms ping guaranteed to Bangkok, no interference from raining/lightning/electricity/etc. it's the most reliable type of connection that exits.

You can also use your own router, there is no limitation. TOT provides you a termination box where the optic fiber is connected too. This box provides pure unfiltered internet access to your own router. I believe if you make a one year contract they give you an optional Linksys Wifi router with some ethernet plugs. You can go to the admin interface of the router and open ports for your VOIP needs. You can also connect your own router instead with no problem. The fiber termination box where the fiber arrives is like a modem, it's not a router, it doesn't block any port.

I strongly recommend AGAINST 3BB, True, Sophon, or others. I have tested all these, and they all apply the MICT Censoring/Filtering so you can't access some webpages (including some Wikipedia pages where you get a warning with a picture of the King instead of the actual page). TOT seems to be the only ISP in Thailand to offer almost uncensored Internet access (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Thailand). Strongly recommend TOT if available in your area.

You can call them at 1100 for information, but you'll need to physically go to the Pattaya Klang office (about 700 meters from BigC Extra in the direction of the beach) to get your subscription. Delay for installation may vary, if TOT is already available in your area then it can take a couple of days, and if not then it can take up to 7 or even 15 days depending on area.

Hope that helps!

True cable is no option (like any other cable-internet)

I want to use my own ADSL router/voip gateway from Germany (Fritzbox 7270), which is very difficult/complicated behind a cable modem!

I tried the Fritzbox before with "Sophon-Cable" (which was very slow anyway) and had I had lots of problems to get my different VOIP accounts to work.bah.gif

So it seems, only 3BB is an alternative to TOT.....unfortunately

See, this is the difference between TrueCrap and TOT, True provides you a closed proprietary box full of ads where you can't do shit, while TOT provides you a very basic fiber modem where you can connect your own router with your own custom settings, like a dial-up modem!!!

I know that TOT now offers optic fiber starting at 790baht/month for 16MB download and 1MB upload.

Free installation if you take a one year contract, or 1600 baht installation fee if no contract.

They also offer 20MB down with 2MB up for something like 1200 baht/months, and 30MB down with 3MB up (if I remember correctly) for something like 1600baht/months but I don't recall exactly.

I would recommend against paying attention to the download speed as it is limited to about 4MB max for international bandwidth ANYWAY on ANY KIND OF CONNECTION. So you should only look at the upload speed really it's the only interesting variable.

The main concern is the availability in your area. It's called "TOT Fiber 2U" and it's MUCH better than any ADSL connection: <15ms ping guaranteed to Bangkok, no interference from raining/lightning/electricity/etc. it's the most reliable type of connection that exits.

You can also use your own router, there is no limitation. TOT provides you a termination box where the optic fiber is connected too. This box provides pure unfiltered internet access to your own router. I believe if you make a one year contract they give you an optional Linksys Wifi router with some ethernet plugs. You can go to the admin interface of the router and open ports for your VOIP needs. You can also connect your own router instead with no problem. The fiber termination box where the fiber arrives is like a modem, it's not a router, it doesn't block any port.

I strongly recommend AGAINST 3BB, True, Sophon, or others. I have tested all these, and they all apply the MICT Censoring/Filtering so you can't access some webpages (including some Wikipedia pages where you get a warning with a picture of the King instead of the actual page). TOT seems to be the only ISP in Thailand to offer almost uncensored Internet access (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Thailand). Strongly recommend TOT if available in your area.

You can call them at 1100 for information, but you'll need to physically go to the Pattaya Klang office (about 700 meters from BigC Extra in the direction of the beach) to get your subscription. Delay for installation may vary, if TOT is already available in your area then it can take a couple of days, and if not then it can take up to 7 or even 15 days depending on area.

Hope that helps!

Nice report. Any info in the international DL speeds for 3BB? As to filtering, using any VPN service will take care if that. It's what I use to get to many of the blocked Thai ladyboy sites.

I would recommend against paying attention to the download speed as it is limited to about 4MB max for international bandwidth ANYWAY on ANY KIND OF CONNECTION. So you should only look at the upload speed really it's the only interesting variable.

Hope that helps!

Nice report. Any info in the international DL speeds for 3BB? As to filtering, using any VPN service will take care if that. It's what I use to get to many of the blocked Thai ladyboy sites.

I've been using a VPN (https://www.ipredator.se/) for many years when I was living in Europe (mostly for tpb torrenting), but stopped my subscription since I'm here as I don't need it anymore. Not only it adds delays to the internet usage (because of the distance, even if there might be VPNs available nearby like Singapore) forcing me to turn it off whenever I want to make a Skype call for example, and also it costs money (even if there might be some free VPN which I don't trust as to their privacy policy).

Having said that, ethically speaking, I think it's better give our money to an ISP who doesn't apply filtering/censorship, removing the VPN delays and fees at the same time anyway!

"Any info in the international DL speeds for 3BB?"

You can check yourself, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and select manually a server located in America or Europe and see the difference.

You can check yourself, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and select manually a server located in America or Europe and see the difference.

cheesy.gif

Are you serious?

Everybody knows, that the ISP fake/cheat the results, using caching/proxy servers inside Thailand.

Anyway, it would be nice, if real users with first hand 3BB experience, could inform me if the DL/general speed is also capped to such a low level (like TOT).

---> Neurnplubwan area only please <---

@ koeko - PS: I have a TOT 10mbit/512kbit line already. (And it's crap)

Most of the time, the available speed is limited to 1Mbits (or less)

cheesy.gif

Are you serious?

Everybody knows, that the ISP fake/cheat the results, using caching/proxy servers inside Thailand.

Anyway, it would be nice, if real users with first hand 3BB experience, could inform me if the DL/general speed is also capped to such a low level (like TOT).

---> Neurnplubwan area only please <---

@ koeko - PS: I have a TOT 10mbit/512kbit line already. (And it's crap)

Most of the time, the available speed is limited to 1Mbits (or less)

"Are you serious?

Everybody knows, that the ISP fake/cheat the results, using caching/proxy servers inside Thailand."

Oops seems you are right, I completely forgot about that! Okay so it's more probably like you say near 1Mbits/s... what a shame, that should be illegal to advertise 10Mb and deliver less than 1Mb!