Drivers licence for a bike - anyone know?

Meddle

Hyellooo all,

Anyone know the process on drivers licence's for bikes?

Thai girlfriend says don't stress, that my tax is up to date and the police don't bother too much with foreigners, but I'd rather go legal. I've heard if you don't already have a drivers licence for a bike, you need to do a two day course for 1,000 B or so. Others have told me it's just an eye test, a couple of other basics and 300 B?

I only have a drivers for a car (not international). I live in Udomsuk, a couple of stations away from On Nut.

Cheers!

Dean

Edited by Dean1973

thanks guys, yip, looks pretty straight forward, apparently you don't need proof of address if you've got a work permit, so lemme give this a bash ;-) I don't think it's too pricey either, 100 or so Baht ..

hope the tests aren't too obscure, knowing Thailand!

In short, go to a testing centre with all the necessary documents - medical certificate, proof of residence certificate, copies of passport, visa etc (bring originals too of course).

You will have to undergo the following:

- colour test (red, yellow, green)

- depth perception test

- peripheral vision test

- reaction time test

You will then have to sit through 2 hours of totally outdated and useless videos - however, there are some hints in those videos that will help you with the theory test later so I suggest to pay close attention.

Chances are that it will by then be lunch time so go for lunch. Come back and do the practical test on a bike. Slalom around a few cones, straight line on a concrete slab for maybe about 20 metres, riding, stopping, indicating, turning. If you pass, then you will proceed on to the theory test. About 30 questions, multiple choice. Good luck. Many have been known to fail due to the poor phrasing of questions and unclear choice of answers. Some questions have more than one choice of right answers - whether you get this question right or "wrong" depends on which answer the computer has been programmed to recognise as the correct answer.

If you pass, then pay the money, wait for your photo to be taken and wait for your licence to be given to you, all on the same day normally.

Hope this helps.

In addition to what Gweiloman has said I am attaching a .doc file with the information/documents that are required for you to have. This was done by my secretary sometime ago so I recommend you give the Department of Transport a call to make sure things haven't changed.

Cheers.

Motorcycle Driving License.doc

thanks guys, yip, looks pretty straight forward, apparently you don't need proof of address if you've got a work permit, so lemme give this a bash ;-) I don't think it's too pricey either, 100 or so Baht ..

Tests aren't too obscure but some questions did let me wondering... One of them was rather interesting; it asked something like: "Which vehicle isn't allowed to a public road?"

- Bus

- Car without horn

- A tank

- Truck

I tried to be logic and answered "a Tank"... Well that was a wrong answer, the right one was number 2! So be prepared!

That answer would be true for uk too.

True in most countries a would say. At that time I thought, if I was able to obtain a tank, would the police let me drive it on a public road...not so sure, reason why I answer that! hehe

Just fooling!

Edited by Polanskiman

I can only speak for bike travel in Isaan, but I have been stopped many times always shown my UK car-only licence and been waved through. One time I had no helmet got a 100baht fine like everyone else and only yesterday got routinely stopped twice in Udon Thani, my friend had a proper licence, I had my UK car licence, no problems. They did ask where I was from.

I have been stopped in other provinces (including CM and BKK) in my truck, showed my UK licence and, as far as I know, been treated the same as those with Thai licences.

Just my experience though..........if things change I may get one.

Edited by AllanB

hahaha .. that made my day ;-)

Do you know if there's perhaps a website with the traffic signs etc to ready myself for the practical?

Tests aren't too obscure but some questions did let me wondering... One of them was rather interesting; it asked something like: "Which vehicle isn't allowed to a public road?"
- Bus
- Car without horn
- A tank

- Truck

I tried to be logic and answered "a Tank"... Well that was a wrong answer, the right one was number 2! So be prepared!

Do you know if there's perhaps a website with the traffic signs etc to ready  myself for the practical?

In the file I shared there is a link. Look at that but it's just a few example. To my knowledge you wont find anything else. The only practice will be the day of the exam with the 1 hour video and a short booklet you will be shown. I did notice though that thais had a more complete booklet and many answers where based on those missing pages....

Dean1973, on 18 Dec 2013 - 10:16, said:

Is that your bike in the pic? 

I just bought a real cheapie (15K). Don't know how long I'll be in Thailand for ..

Polanskiman, on 12 Dec 2013 - 08:32, said:

Dean1973, on 12 Dec 2013 - 07:24, said:

Do you know if there's perhaps a website with the traffic signs etc to ready  myself for the practical?

In the file I shared there is a link. Look at that but it's just a few example. To my knowledge you wont find anything else. The only practice will be the day of the exam with the 1 hour video and a short booklet you will be shown. I did notice though that thais had a more complete booklet and many answers where based on those missing pages....

Is that you bike in the pic? 

I just bought a real cheapie (15K). Don't know how long I'll be in Thailand for ..

Polanskiman, on 12 Dec 2013 - 08:32, said:

Dean1973, on 12 Dec 2013 - 07:24, said:

Edited by Dean1973

Yes I own a Versys, although that particular picture is not my bike. Just took it from the internet. Nice little ride I must say.

If I can give you an advice, learn and adapt to Thai driving behaviour, and most of all, always anticipate things. It will save you.

Cheers and good luck with the driving license.

Edited by Polanskiman

Well that was a piece of cake ..answer a couple of questions one day, the next ride in a circle.

Done.

Thanks Polanskiman, yes they do have their own mindset on the roads, but far more co-operative, peaceful and flowing than our airhead South African drivers.

:-)

Yes I own a Versys, although that particular picture is not my bike. Just took it from the internet. Nice little ride I must say.

If I can give you an advice, learn and adapt to Thai driving behaviour, and most of all, always anticipate things. It will save you.

Cheers and good luck with the driving license.

Well you could have knocked me over with a feather! All this time I thought I was riding a motorcycle and driving a pick-up. But my Thai motorcycle license has printed on the top right hand corner "Drivers License". Ya learn something everyday!

• 1 month later...

In short, go to a testing centre with all the necessary documents - medical certificate, proof of residence certificate, copies of passport, visa etc (bring originals too of course).

- depth perception test

- peripheral vision test

- reaction time test

You will then have to sit through 2 hours of totally outdated and useless videos - however, there are some hints in those videos that will help you with the theory test later so I suggest to pay close attention.

Chances are that it will by then be lunch time so go for lunch. Come back and do the practical test on a bike. Slalom around a few cones, straight line on a concrete slab for maybe about 20 metres, riding, stopping, indicating, turning. If you pass, then you will proceed on to the theory test. About 30 questions, multiple choice. Good luck. Many have been known to fail due to the poor phrasing of questions and unclear choice of answers. Some questions have more than one choice of right answers - whether you get this question right or "wrong" depends on which answer the computer has been programmed to recognise as the correct answer.

If you pass, then pay the money, wait for your photo to be taken and wait for your licence to be given to you, all on the same day normally.

Hope this helps.

If some one have a Thai car DL (less than 3 month) only the practical on the bike ? Or also the theory test?

if you fail from the illogical test, just tell them that you are a ting tong farang and dont understand the test and they give you another run and tell you the correct answers. you have to ask and approach them nicely thoughlaugh.png

Edited by ll2

I did all the testing in the morning, and then came back after lunch for the road test.

After the video, they gave me a booklet to study which included all the road signs etc. I sat there and reviewed it and then took the computer test. If you fail the first time be sure and carefully review the questions you missed. You will be able to immediately re-take the test and you will see those questions again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

- depth perception test

- peripheral vision test

- reaction time test

Hope this helps.

If some one have a Thai car DL (less than 3 month) only the practical on the bike ? Or also the theory test?

When I did mine, I did both the car and bike on the same day. After the practical (and only if you pass), you then do the theory. You do one for the bike and one for the car (don't ask me why).

if you fail from the illogical test, just tell them that you are a ting tong farang and dont understand the test and they give you another run and tell you the correct answers. you have to ask and approach them nicely thoughlaugh.png

In addition to this, you actually can have a second attempt if you fail your first.

The easiest and quickest way is to go to Khao San and get a copy of your home country licence and make sure both car and bike are on the back.

next go and get a bike licence and only do the eye tests, that's all i did because my original UK licence didn't have motorbike entitlement. they don't look at the licence really just to see if you have the entitlement.

took me 2 hours to get both bike and car licences, most of the time was just waiting.

i'm sure some <deleted> on here will be all like "you cant do that, its illegal etc" get a <deleted> life you <deleted> lol

The easiest and quickest way is to go to Khao San and get a copy of your home country licence and make sure both car and bike are on the back.

next go and get a bike licence and only do the eye tests, that's all i did because my original UK licence didn't have motorbike entitlement. they don't look at the licence really just to see if you have the entitlement.

took me 2 hours to get both bike and car licences, most of the time was just waiting.

i'm sure some fuc_kwits on here will be all like "you cant do that, its illegal etc" get a fuc_king life you cun_ts lol

also no need to do any tests or watch shitty videos all day, colour blind test and wait to get your Thai licence...DONE

Do you know if there's perhaps a website with the traffic signs etc to ready myself for the practical?

- Bus

- Car without horn

- A tank

- Truck

I got my Thai MC DL at the Land and Transport office near Mo Chit BTS. They have ONE English language manual on sign-age and they won't loan it out. I went 40 minutes early, studied it and practiced on the practice testing computers before taking the test. There are many small Doctor's offices in the area where, after looking you up and down, the doctor will give you a clean bill-of-health for a small fee. For another small fee, you may rent a scoot3er to take the practical/ road test. I got my MC photo license and changed ownership of my MC to my local district office, and got insurance in less than a day, My Thai friend said I did well.

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1