Changes to British passport services in Thailand

The visa has no address on it so why would they accept that for proof of residence ?

I guess it depends on whether they wish to establish your address to the level of town, street and number or just to country - if the later then the visa will do it.

The suggested list, as noted in other posts, contains some oddities and curious omissions like utility bills, something most banks will accept.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The visa has no address on it so why would they accept that for proof of residence ?

I guess it depends on whether they wish to establish your address to the level of town, street and number or just to country - if the later then the visa will do it.

The suggested list, as noted in other posts, contains some oddities and curious omissions like utility bills, something most banks will accept.

One suspects the list is based on, or may be in fact the list used to apply in the UK for a passport hence the references to school records etc etc. In other words these sort of record's could be easily verified if you lived in and applied for a pp in the uk , even the visa/residence permit one would make sense as well for someone who had recently become a British citizen and was applying for their first pp

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Any advice from anybody out there how to get around this residence proof problem.Somebody must have been in the same boat as me ?

Could you get get your landlord to provide any kind of document saying you are living in their house that you could use at the embassy to get a letter from them. Perhaps even filling out a TM30 form that is used to notify immigration of your residency and signing it.

Download here: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

Any advice from anybody out there how to get around this residence proof problem.Somebody must have been in the same boat as me ?

Could you get get your landlord to provide any kind of document saying you are living in their house that you could use at the embassy to get a letter from them. Perhaps even filling out a TM30 form that is used to notify immigration of your residency and signing it.

Download here: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

link doesnt work

Edited by parryhandy

Easy pick something else off the list in table a, it states you can provide a copy of your visas or residence permit, so you must have a visa or extension for thailand unless your overstaying

Easy pick something else off the list in table a, it states you can provide a copy of your visas or residence permit, so you must have a visa or extension for thailand unless your overstaying

As copies of ALL passport pages are now required for the renewal process copies of visas/extensions would be provided.

Non o multiple visas have no evidence of address, they are just a sticker in your passport. There is absolutely nothing in my name .

Non o multiple visas have no evidence of address, they are just a sticker in your passport. There is absolutely nothing in my name .

Your thinking too much, the list clearly states you can provide a copy of your visa or residence permit, it doest say your visa has to have your address on it, as stated previously think all they are trying to do is establish your country of residence not your physical address as such

Your thinking too much, the list clearly states you can provide a copy of your visa or residence permit, it doest say your visa has to have your address on it, as stated previously think all they are trying to do is establish your country of residence not your physical address as such

Ok if some one tells me that a retirement visa or non o extensions dont have your address on them somewhere and people have obtained the passport with no prove of residence other than a non o sticker in their passport I'll drop it.

Ok if some one tells me that a retirement visa or non o extensions dont have your address on them somewhere and people have obtained the passport with no prove of residence other than a non o sticker in their passport I'll drop it.

Have you even looked at the table a list ? A lot of the other items listed wouldn't have your physical address on them either but yet they say they are acceptable as well, you would do well not to question our highly efficient British civil servants, they say a copy of a visa is acceptable so given what they are asking for LOL

• Like 1

Have you even looked at the table a list ? A lot of the other items listed wouldn't have your physical address on them either but yet they say they are acceptable as well, you would do well not to question our highly efficient British civil servants, they say a copy of a visa is acceptable so given what they are asking for LOL

yep they all would have your name and address, which item do you think doesnt ?

yep they all would have your name and address, which item do you think doesnt ?

Your parents death certificate for one, why would that have your name and address on it unless they were living with you ?

From my personal point as I am a pensioner I will send them a copy of my state pension annual statement which has my Thai address on or perhaps a copy of my other pension letters.

I will also send a copy of the letter I got from the embassy in BKK verifying my pension amounts (with the amounts deleted of course).

If you have a UK bank account and get your statements sent here just write to them about anything and that would also be proof.

Basically I think the stuff that they require was designed by a committee of civil servants working in different cities and just slung together. It does however give a wide choice of ways to supply your address.

All this just to get a new passport.?I have have a uk passport,born in the uk .but have no proof of address outside the country,I have renewed passport in BkK and HK in past years no problems.so now they want all this info.What they going to do if I cant provide? Deport me back to Uk. ? The whole FCO and passport agency is one big bureacratic money making empire.

• Like 1

Reply ref Soutpeel & Parryhandy.

A nasty conundrum: with ideas diametrically opposed, Soutpeel and Parryhandy are both correct. Problem is that Soutpeel trusts the Civil Service to abide by one reading of the rules more than Parryhandy or I do. If a senior official gets picky one morning applications could be rejected for having no proven home address so one is left with a cancelled passport and is stuffed for the fees paid. Best, first, to see one application getting through that hoop if possible.

Another point, how to pay them? Can I send a cheque on my yUK bank a/c? I have never succeeded in using an internet payment system & I don't trust the security of 'em, anyway.

And... how do they get the new one to me in Issaan? DHL doesn't come out here & I would never trust the post after a couple of previous losses over the last few years.

I have a few more worries about this infuriating cock-up [moderator note pse, it is printers jargon, not rude at all] but that's enough for now.

A nasty conundrum: with ideas diametrically opposed, Soutpeel and Parryhandy are both correct. Problem is that Soutpeel trusts the Civil Service to abide by one reading of the rules more than Parryhandy or I do. If a senior official gets picky one morning applications could be rejected for having no proven home address so one is left with a cancelled passport and is stuffed for the fees paid. Best, first, to see one application getting through that hoop if possible.

Another point, how to pay them? Can I send a cheque on my yUK bank a/c? I have never succeeded in using an internet payment system & I don't trust the security of 'em, anyway.

And... how do they get the new one to me in Issaan? DHL doesn't come out here & I would never trust the post after a couple of previous losses over the last few years.

I have a few more worries about this infuriating cock-up [moderator note pse, it is printers jargon, not rude at all] but that's enough for now.

I live near Khampaeng Phet and I have just Googled DHL. Their nearest depots to me are Bangkok or Chiang Mai both about 400 km away from me so I suspect that if they use DHL it will end up in the Thai Post Office and sent up by EMS registered post. I will try to email them in the UK first as I won't be sending mine for renewal until February 2014.

I live near Khampaeng Phet and I have just Googled DHL. Their nearest depots to me are Bangkok or Chiang Mai both about 400 km away from me so I suspect that if they use DHL it will end up in the Thai Post Office and sent up by EMS registered post. I will try to email them in the UK first as I won't be sending mine for renewal until February 2014.

Tks Billd, I'll keep a look out here & see how you get on with that.

Tks Billd, I'll keep a look out here & see how you get on with that.

I have just sent them an email this morning asking about that and also an email asking about counter-signatories in Thailand.

Passport delivery query

https://contact.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact.php?survey=1&pager=2

When I send my application off for a renewal of my passport can you please tell me which courier service the government uses to return my new passport to me.

I live in rural Thailand some 400 km from either Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

In the event that a courier service will not drive the 400km to deliver the passport can you please tell WHO will have the responsibility of delivering to me?

Dont hold your breath for a reply this year,if ever

Oh ye of little faith.

A mans gotta do etc and if I don't try I will never know.

I believe that the standard response period for emails sent to UK Government organisations is 4 weeks.

I also have a suggestion for anyone experiencing difficulties with providing suitable address evidence. Simply write a snail mail letter to HMPO complaining about their lousy system for renewing passports from Thailand 3 months ahead of time, and enclose their eventual reply (which will have your address included in it) with your application smile.png

• Like 1

My new passport was posted DHL to Samui ... The DHL Office then popped a nine baht stamp on it and sent it normal post , not EMS , to my PO Box ! .. blink.png

For payment my Be 1st Card from Bangkok bank was fine

Edited by churchill

Dont hold your breath for a reply this year,if ever

Oh ye of little faith.

A mans gotta do etc and if I don't try I will never know.

I wrote 3 different respnses to them a couple of days ago.

I got 3 replies this morning.

profile_mask2.png
16:48 (22 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Dear Mr Dore

Thank you for your enquiry.

Are you renewing a UK passport?

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team

My answer yes I am.
profile_mask2.png
17:43 (22 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Dear Mr Dore

I have passed your email on to the Newport Passport Office for a reply. They will contact you within 2 working days.

Thank you

I assume that was about which courier service I asked about.
profile_mask2.png
22:27 (17 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
Dear Mr Dore

You will only need a countersign if your appearance has changed significantly from the photograph in your current passport.

Thank you

This was in reference to me shaving my beard off during the last 10 years.
I am a little surprised that I got replies and very impressed with the response time.
Good for them.
Edited by billd766

I used their email link and asked 3 questions and got the answers within 2 or 3 days.

I also found that the UKPA people are very helpful and do their best to stick to their guidelines.

In the reply to the debit card question the first line did not know the answer but promptly passed the question to the correct people.

I cut and pasted the replies below if it helps anyone.

Q1 Which courier service does the UKPA use

See UK Passport Office couriers

Q2 Debit card payments

See Debit card payments

Q3 Passport countersignatures

See Passport countersignatures

Please take note that I have highlighted a couple of passages dealing with the country of origin of the countersignatures.

It seems as though Thais no matter who or what their position are NOT acceptable.

UK Passport Office couriers.doc

Debit card payments.doc

Passport Countersignature requirements.doc

Edited by billd766

I plan to get a new passport whilst in the UK next year and visit the main Peterborough office as it will be quite convenient. When I asked a staff member recently he said that it is perfectly acceptable as a non-UK resident to apply at their office. Have the latest updates changed that or can we still apply in person?

Reading the thread, it is a bit confusing about this seemingly new requirement of proof of address and what exactly will be accepted. The list provided has some strange selections. My utility bill addresses are all in Thai although my name is shown as on my passport. Would these be acceptable?

I plan to get a new passport whilst in the UK next year and visit the main Peterborough office as it will be quite convenient. When I asked a staff member recently he said that it is perfectly acceptable as a non-UK resident to apply at their office. Have the latest updates changed that or can we still apply in person?

Reading the thread, it is a bit confusing about this seemingly new requirement of proof of address and what exactly will be accepted. The list provided has some strange selections. My utility bill addresses are all in Thai although my name is shown as on my passport. Would these be acceptable?

I suspect that they would not be acceptable but the best way to find out would be to ask them through their website. Their response time is pretty good really.

I plan to send them copies of my pension providers letters including the State pension as they are in English and addressed to me at home here in Thailand.

As for applying in the UK I have no idea as I left the UK in 1991 and the last time I went there was in 2004.

You can still do it the way you planned. This change doses not affect an application done while you are in the UK.