Cd Auto Setup

bdenner

How do I stop a Program CD going into Auto Setup when it is inserted into the drive? Both XP and 2000ME operating systems. I’m sure it can be done but forgotten how, the XP “Help and Support Center” sucks.

Thank you.

How do I stop a Program CD going into Auto Setup when it is inserted into the drive? Both XP and 2000ME operating systems. I’m sure it can be done but forgotten how, the XP “Help and Support Center” sucks.

Thank you.

Go to start help and support and type in CD autostart you will get

To change how your computer handles multimedia content

Open My Computer.

Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.

On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change.

Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected.

Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.

Your removable storage device must be attached to your computer for it to appear in the My Computer folder.

The very ottom action is take no action

Hope this helps

Go to start help and support and type in CD autostart you will get

To change how your computer handles multimedia content

Open My Computer.

Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.

On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change.

Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected.

Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.

Your removable storage device must be attached to your computer for it to appear in the My Computer folder.

The very ottom action is take no action

Hope this helps

I've had there and done that before posting the thread '! No option to stop Program CD's from going into the "Setup" routine.

Also if you hold down the Shift key when inserting the CD, the autorun is bypassed. (although it's not exactly graceful trying to insert a CD while holding down keys on the keyboard.)
That did not work either. I've tested it on several Program CD's.

The holding shift key does work, only thing is you have to keep it depressed for maybe 30 seconds or so, the time it takes for the cd-rom to spool up and scan the cd for autostart programs...

Get a copy of tweakui (part of XPpowertoys from microsoft) and you can set it there globally or by drive.

post-566-1147406064_thumb.jpg

Thank-you. Already had ‘TweakUI” installed so it was just a matter of unchecking the drive and presto all done.

Now I need to do the same on my olde 'ME' machine.

Now that it is disabled there may be times when you want auto-run to function such as a software installation CD. Just click "My Computer" from the Startup menu and in the right hand pane double click on the CD icon, and voila it will start the CD the same as before you disabled it.

The method I use (and it only works with XP Pro, not Home) is:

1. Go to run, type gpedit.msc

2. In the group policy editor that comes up, go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System

3. Click on "Turn off Autoplay", and set to "Enabled".

hi'

again the same question ...

my computer/select your cdrom reader and properties/

in autorun select the one you want to autostart and select always do this,

do it for all kind of file format in the list and you'll be ok ;

francois

hi'

francois

The problem he was having was not with AutoPlay, which are the options you are referring to, but AutoRun - that is when a program disk is loaded it automatically starts the installation menu (autorun.inf).

The holding shift key does work, only thing is you have to keep it depressed for maybe 30 seconds or so, the time it takes for the cd-rom to spool up and scan the cd for autostart programs...

monty - I think holding down the left shift key when you insert a cd is a violation of the DMCA .... :o

hi'

francois

The problem he was having was not with AutoPlay, which are the options you are referring to, but AutoRun - that is when a program disk is loaded it automatically starts the installation menu (autorun.inf).

hi'

try just what I said , I got someone out of this problem doing this for all type of content :o

no cd will start auto whatever there is on.

the other way is to dig in registry and in the cd section(search for it) autoplay handlers, and select it and change value to 0 for automount ...

good luck :D

francois

The method I use (and it only works with XP Pro, not Home) is:

1. Go to run, type gpedit.msc

2. In the group policy editor that comes up, go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System

3. Click on "Turn off Autoplay", and set to "Enabled".

OK this worked as well, thank you.

Having never had knowledge of the existence of “gpedit.msc” where can I find a full list of utilities like this and “regedit” ?

hi'

francois

Francois, as I stated in 'post#4' I had done this but it does not stop auto run on program CDs, there is no option covering this format.

Thanks again to all.