Cold Weather Forecast Next Week

Ystradyfodwg

With night time minimum temperatures predicted to fall to single figures in Nong Khai next week I'd be interested to know individual experiences of cold weather within Thailand.My coldest experience was being in Ubol Ratchantani one December with overcoat,socks and shoes on feeling quite cold,with the evening temperature probably being about 8c to 10c.

About 10 years ago one night in Chantaburri I had to sleep fully dressed with a coat and wrapped in blankets and I was still cold. About 6 years ago I was driving through a small mountain pass in Chantaburi in the rain and noticed the rain was bouncing off my bike in one piece. It took me a few seconds to process that it was actually sleet. The MIL said it happens every five years or so.

• Like 1

About 3 years ago, I was in Mae Sai, sitting at an outdoor restaurant by the sai river with a jumper, fleece and rugby shirt on; with a brazier burning under the table and I was still cold! The same year we we in Doi AngKhan and went to the Royal Project gardens up there and there was a chalk board noting the temperature at 3.8C. Even allowing for some gentle massaging of the figures in order to impress the tourists, it was bloody cold!!

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know individual experiences of cold weather within Thailand

Well, micro-climates are still climates.

A few years ago, during the dry season, we (Thai gf and I ) took the Outlaws up to Chang Rai.

We showed them a few things about the Hotel room ... how to work the AC, the TV etc.

When we went into their room the next morning, there were icicles hanging off the bathroom mirror after a shower.

They had set the Air-Con to Max for the Min ... it was like an ice-box inside ... facepalm.gif

It was chilly last week (I know I'm a puss) it was about 15 degrees overnight, I even put the heater on in the morning. I like this time of year, somewhat chilly nights, balmy daytime temps. Does wonders for my electric bill...

Not a puss at all. It only takes a few years of living in warm climates for the blood to thin and 15 is cold for me as well.

• Like 1

It was chilly last week (I know I'm a puss) it was about 15 degrees overnight, I even put the heater on in the morning. I like this time of year, somewhat chilly nights, balmy daytime temps. Does wonders for my electric bill...

Not a puss at all. It only takes a few years of living in warm climates for the blood to thin and 15 is cold for me as well.

there's no such thing like "blood thinning" in warm/hot climates.

15 degrees is cold anywhere, if you are not dressed/prepared for it. Toss in some wind, and you got a real chilly day. Sure, its colder at the North and South Poles.....duhhhhhh. We are in an area of the world where you just do not think you need a jacket.

• Like 1

I find it amusing during the cooler weather to see some locals togged up with quilted ski jackets and knitted head gear as if they were heading for the slopes in freezing weather. Even in some of the department stores, the winter clothing seems a bit over the top, although some of that may be for visitors heading back north after their holidays.

The great and all knowing NAAM has spoken , actually as my surgeon told me living in a hot climate is good for those with heart trouble as the blood tends to be thinner ,but hey what would a surgeon know?

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

I know a few people with diluted blood systems living here...............................wink.png

It is not so much the temperature but the range in temperature that makes you feel cold.

Average day where I am at this time of year would be somewhere like 22 degrees in the morning (06:00) increasing to about 33 degrees in the afternoon and dropping once again to about 22 degrees at night.

So in that example you have a range of 11 degrees. Try that difference in temperature anywhere in the world and you will feel the difference.

Doesn't work too well for negative temperatures..................wink.png

The great and all knowing NAAM has spoken , actually as my surgeon told me living in a hot climate is good for those with heart trouble as the blood tends to be thinner ,but hey what would a surgeon know?

Indeed, you would think you surgeon would know better eh..

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/22/health/he-ask22

An apology to Naam for the tone of your reply might be in order..

totster :)

5555 I'd bet mine is "thinner"! 5555 Last trip back home I froze to death when it hit 2-3. Seriously, I really struggled.

Though our trip to Europe this fall was quite nice. Temps 12-15. Perfect for walking around and enjoying the outdoors. Just glad we left before it got too cold!!

wai2.gif

At Doi Angkhang a few years ago it hit 4 C in the morning as we stayed in a frigid concrete box. All the Bangkok folks were gathered around the cars looking at the frost on the windshields and taking photographs. Coffee never tasted better!

Where I lived in Australia the temps ranged from up to 40 plus in summer to 0 in winter, you did notice the difference, at 15c you were ready to wear shorts and a t shirt after winter but at the end of summer you were starting to put on the old trackie dacs and uggs of an evening....

• Like 1

Sure, just like there is no change to the number of red blood cells if you live at high altitude LOL

Call it what you want, the effect is there.

When I first lived in Spain I wore shorts and tee shirts in the winter and laughed at the locals who were all wrapped up.

Now, I´m also all wrapped up and it still feels cold at 16C, can´t wait to get back to Thailand.