The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

That was for bypass road further on.

Since when has a speed sign ever been considered a "suggestion" it says the speed limit is 50kph so can you do 150kph legally?

No. The legal limit is 80kph. The 50kph signs all the way down Chao Fah West and Vised road down to Rawai, and along Patak Road to Kata are "advisory":

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811449-mandatory-speed-limit-on-main-phuket-road-is-not-mandatory/

The signs stevenl are referring to must be real signs, i.e. not advisory, but I haven't noticed them as I have yet to need to go through the tunnel either northbound or southbound.

This is the only, pretty poor, picture I have northbound. But I do see a sign banning bikes... whistling.gif

attachicon.gifunderp2.jpg

I need glasses, where is the sign banning motorbikes? not pedal cycles!

There it is, right underneath the picture of a rickshaw: whistling.gif

post-35489-0-05513400-1430484388_thumb.j

Sorry, it's not too clear. The next time I'm up that way I'll get a good one. biggrin.png

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its 50 but there was an article in Phuket News that said they only put the signs up as a "suggestion"

That was for bypass road further on.
Since when has a speed sign ever been considered a "suggestion" it says the speed limit is 50kph so can you do 150kph legally?

LOL I shit you not, couple weeks back was an article that explained this. They put up 50km signs in the attempt to get people to slow down. They admitted the speed limit was false and called it a suggestion for drivers. They also stated it would not be enforced. Its Thainess at its best

And 2 flyovers are coming....lol.

This time they learn quickly.

Hm, nothing about the Chalong Circle underpass in that article.

I'm wondering (and hoping) they're reconsidering that solution to the problem.

Read it again, it mentions the Chalong circle underpass!

Gen Arkhom said the Samkong Underpass was on target to open by the end of the year. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

Drivers breaking traffic laws in or near the Darasamuth Underpass will be charged and fined. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

Drivers breaking traffic laws in or near the Darasamuth Underpass will be charged and fined. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith today announced that Phuket will receive funding of more than 1.3 billion baht to build underpasses at Bang Khu on the bypass road and at Chalong Circle.

They must have to acquire land at Chalong, surely, as the roads just aren't wide enough.

With a bit of luck this will delay the project long enough for me to get right away from the area before construction starts.

Is the airport t-junction really a major bottleneck? I've never considered it a problem. The traffic generally flows as far as the lights in Thalang.

But that Koh Kaew u-turn is my most hated set of lights on the island.

All done for Chinese tour buses, as by the time all these projects are completed they'll be the only tourists on the island. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I had wondered why overpasses were mention, but now I read the PW aricle about the 2 overpasses planned in the north of the island.

Also mentioned is 1,000 baht fines for m/bikes and trolleys.

Read it again, it mentions the Chalong circle underpass!

No, it did not.

Chalong underpass was not mentioned till later in another news source.

No, Wed 6th is not a holiday. Thai calander says Tues 5th is a holiday, and the Monday 4th was declared a holiday for public offices, to make it a long weekend for Immigration.

No idea why this is asked in the underpass topic.

They must have to acquire land at Chalong, surely, as the roads just aren't wide enough.

With a bit of luck this will delay the project long enough for me to get right away from the area before construction starts.

Is the airport t-junction really a major bottleneck? I've never considered it a problem. The traffic generally flows as far as the lights in Thalang.

But that Koh Kaew u-turn is my most hated set of lights on the island.

All done for Chinese tour buses, as by the time all these projects are completed they'll be the only tourists on the island. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Someone I know has already moved from Fisherman's Way (south of the circle) to Land and Houses Park (north of the circle) for that very reason.

What "they" must do is what they did in Phuket town to relieve the traffic at Central traffic lights - build relief roads. In fact, they built two: one to the west of Makro (which was ridiculously twisty) and one opposite Bang Yai road at the back of Big C. Both of them joined Muang Chao Fah road.

So what they should do at Chalong is build a relief road - the red one - here:

post-35489-0-66431600-1430650637_thumb.j

And while they're at it, fix that stupid bend in the road to Kata - the blue bit.

No. The legal limit is 80kph. The 50kph signs all the way down Chao Fah West and Vised road down to Rawai, and along Patak Road to Kata are "advisory":

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811449-mandatory-speed-limit-on-main-phuket-road-is-not-mandatory/

The signs stevenl are referring to must be real signs, i.e. not advisory, but I haven't noticed them as I have yet to need to go through the tunnel either northbound or southbound.

This is the only, pretty poor, picture I have northbound. But I do see a sign banning bikes... whistling.gif

attachicon.gifunderp2.jpg

I need glasses, where is the sign banning motorbikes? not pedal cycles!

There it is, right underneath the picture of a rickshaw: whistling.gif

attachicon.gifmotocyban2.jpg

Sorry, it's not too clear. The next time I'm up that way I'll get a good one. biggrin.png

OK, here's a better picture - one of the new signs since that naughty Lepus curpaeums was spotted riding his bike through, followed by a Bangkok tuk-tuk, car with trailer and pedal bike:

post-35489-0-34385800-1431000907_thumb.j

Edit:

The words underneath say: "Do not use the underpass"

tongue.png

Edited by JetsetBkk

... followed by a Bangkok tuk-tuk, car with trailer and pedal bike:

attachicon.gifnobikes2.jpg

"car with trailer"?? Sheesh, some of you scofflaws really need to study your highway code books a bit more. shock1.gif

The icon in the top right is the internationally recognised symbol for a som tam cart. They are banned to stop people having snacks between meals in case they ruin their appetites while they wait for ambulances to collect them after they've been side swiped by a golf cart racing the motorbikes past the tour bus that has run out of fuel to collect the first prize of the mountain bike. These are also banned in case somebody tries to trade them for contraband such as a parasol or a sun lounger which as we all know are at the start of a slippery slope that leads to the complete implosion of society in a lawless free for all of beach revelry.

The fuel-less tour bus problem will be solved by having a PTT filling station replete with Top Charoen Optical (50%-80% OFF NOW!) and a combined 7-11 and FamilyMart megastore mandatory in every underpass. Safety will be enhanced by the fire suppression systems that will be provided by SuperCheap whose corporate motto "Fight Fire With Fire!" probably wasn't the best choice in hindsight but whatevs.

There will also be a speciality brake and transmission shop that will replace the entire air-braking system on any vehicle older that 3 days with a replacement taken from a Fisher-Price tricycle for ages 4-6 thus ensuring an insurance payout in the event of an accident even if the driver is so high he is technically orbiting his bus rather than driving it.

To prevent the Chinese from feeling left out the Ministry of Tourism and Blood Sports will host a slow loris BBQ and dolphin roast with entertainment from an LGBT 1 Direction tribute band called Spot the Difference. Oh, and Australian visitors with unruly children are asked to report to the new decapitation center located adjacent to the escalator in the arrivals hall of Phuket Internation Airport, it's right under the "Wellcomes two Phukkeet :-)" sign kindly sponsored by the "No Summer Dream On Beach" Engrish Academy and Print Shoppe.