Thais LOVE gold..but what about silver?

dowhatuwill

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this fabulous forum and have'nt spent a huge amount of time in the Kingdom to date Aiming to fix that starting with a move here next month though.

I've been trading a bit of silver bullion in a few countries over the years and I was wondering if anyone out there might have a clue as to where one would start in such endeavors in Thailand. We all know how much Thais love gold and the prices and quantity and quality of the jewlery are great, but where to trade silver bullion?

I have no clue and would appreciate any ideas!

Cheers.

I was at a street in Bangkok where there were many wholesale silver jewelry stores, I don't remember the name, I have not being there for many years, my wife says it was Choroen Nrung perhaps some one else can confirm that,

I was at a street in Bangkok where there were many wholesale silver jewelry stores, I don't remember the name, I have not being there for many years, my wife says it was Choroen Nrung perhaps some one else can confirm that,

Thanks for the interesting information sirieneou and Frangipani man. Sterling silver Jewelry is not the stuff I'm talking about though since it's only 92.5% silver and carries a high premium.

The stuff I'm refering to is incestment grade 99.9% + Pure fine silver bullion coins and bars. Obviously it's incredibly rare in Thailand!

Sterling silver.

Sterling can only be said to be sterling silver if assayed by a UK assay office.

After obtaining the required hallmarks,it becomes Sterling silver.

Without the hall mark,in the UK it is only silver metal .

When it comes to 'tradeing' silver, or any other precious metal, it is exceedingly rare to actually take posession. You can readily access many commodities exchanges via brokerage accounts to engage in commodities trading. If you want physical bullion then gold is the choice throughout the region and extremely liquid. Physical silver here is viewed as an ornamental and industrial commodity, not an investment.

• Like 2

When it comes to 'tradeing' silver, or any other precious metal, it is exceedingly rare to actually take posession. You can readily access many commodities exchanges via brokerage accounts to engage in commodities trading. If you want physical bullion then gold is the choice throughout the region and extremely liquid. Physical silver here is viewed as an ornamental and industrial commodity, not an investment.

Thanks for the response.

I can't disagree with anything you say. It's an accurate assestment. My view is that much paper metals will be worth no more than the paper they are printed on since most are unbacked by physical metal ang ae highly leveraged. For this reason, I only invest in PHYSICAL metals. As a contrarian investor, my choice is silver. The current silver to gold price ratio is 65 to 1. Silver is pulled from the ground at a rato of 9 to 1. Silver has 10,000 industrlial uses, second only to oil for it's number of uses in modern society. These are some of my reasons for liking silver. Very few invest in it, that's true. Still.silver invesrtors do exist and some must live in this part of the world.

• Like 1

I asked the same question of few years back. To this day I haven't found any silver bullion dealers here in Thailand, which I consider very unusual. I've asked a number of sources, but have never gotten a good answer as to why 99.9% bullion isn't traded on the retail market. Go to Singapore, go to India, you can deal in silver bullion. Here? Nada!

However, if you happen to find someone that deals in retail silver bullion, let me know. Good luck!

• Like 1

I asked the same question of few years back. To this day I haven't found any silver bullion dealers here in Thailand, which I consider very unusual. I've asked a number of sources, but have never gotten a good answer as to why 99.9% bullion isn't traded on the retail market. Go to Singapore, go to India, you can deal in silver bullion. Here? Nada!

However, if you happen to find someone that deals in retail silver bullion, let me know. Good luck!

Thanks for your input.

This is really astounding to me. I have traded Silver bullion in the Philippines for a few years. Import taxes and VAT stifle trading there as they may also do in Thailand. The market is tiny there but at least it exists!

Selling silver bullion on a smallish scale is more of a calling than something that you do to make money. However,I do enjoy putting silver into the hands of those who would never otherwise have every laid eyes on the pure shiny stuff.

If I strike sucess, I'll let you know!

• Like 1