It'll take over 5 years to clear stockpiles: Thai rice exporter

webfact

"She said that the government must stop building up stocks, while benefits to farmers should be maintained."

Great idea - keep the pledging price at B15000/ton, but don't buy any.

As the government tries to clear stock, they will keep the world price low for years to come. All the farmers who benefitted from this scam will now pay the price and end up nett losers, not to mention the hundreds of billions lost by the nation.

Agreed, when the rice farmers eventually realise that Thaskins PTP haven't really done them any favours, made them poorer and infact probably ruined rice farming in Thailand for quite some time. They will not be so ready to support PTP in the near future, that is probably why they want an election so soon, they (PTP) know their voting base is disapearing fast.

When there is so much rice stockpiled it will keep the price of rice low on the global market, so the stockpile will just rot. So much for trying to manipulate the market? Which was the idea behind such a high pledging price to start with.

Did Thaksin make his money from business ideas or was it just an accumilation of bribes? cause that was a cr*p idea.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Better Thailand makes a donation to all the nations of the third world suffer from hunger.

This would also reduce the state losses.

And hopefully there will be a nationwide enlightenment campaign who has this idiocy concocted.

I'm curious! how does giving away rice reduce the states losses, is that lose of rice to weevils or the money not made from not selling the rice?

Part of the five years would be spent trying to recall where they put the 'missing' 2-4 million tons, or was it re-discovered, while i was away in the autumn ? wink.png

Oh well, at least never-existed paper-rice wouldn't rot, as quickly as the real thing ! rolleyes.gif

Perhaps the military might send their drone out, to search for the missing rice ?

Better Thailand makes a donation to all the nations of the third world suffer from hunger.

And hopefully there will be a nationwide enlightenment campaign who has this idiocy concocted.

I'm curious! how does giving away rice reduce the states losses, is that lose of rice to weevils or the money not made from not selling the rice?

Perhaps because the government wouldn't then have to pay for its continued storage, monitoring by the BiBs, or treatment with insecticide ...

... definitely the lesser of two weevils ! facepalm.gif

And the starving people might live longer, in fact might become avid consumers of Thai rice, if a little 'dressing' of some convenient narcotic substance could be added ? wink.png

The problem is that those responsible no publish concrete figures.
They work in the dark.
The stockpile price for one ton of milled rice is around 23.000 Baht up to 29.000 Baht per ton.
Nobody knows!
No concrete numbers!
The world market price is around 14.000 Baht per ton milled rice,
so the storage cost, logistic costs and the administrative expenses are immense.
Other sources say, that the rice is on the rot.
Partly in the quality no longer to sale.
Where are exactly the 680Billion Baht + 180 Billion Baht remained, the public do not know.
Only those responsible.
  • Like 1

Could someone investgate who owns the mills and warehouses, as that is where the cash is going?

Sure they will be owned by certain families and politicos. Not hard to work out really, but journalism out here is not brave enough to do such.

This scam would not have existed for 1 week in a First World Country and those who instegated it would, by now, be locked up..

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 2

Could someone investgate who owns the mills and warehouses, as that is where the cash is going?

Sure they will be owned by certain families and politicos. Not hard to work out really, but journalism out here is not brave enough to do such.

This scam would not have existed for 1 week in a First World Country and those who instegated it would, by now, be locked up..

It's all about middlemen and paper shufflers. That is why, for those wondering, there is no payment to farmers not to grow, as has been US ag policy since at least the 1930s, I think. All the wealth in this country, I was once told, is made by people moving it around from one place to another and skimming off the top--with no oversight. Farmers, when they get anything at all, receive peanuts.

• Like 2

Any posts from pro government posters ???

It has been suggested that the ultimate goal of the rice pledging project is related to Thailand's extensive knowledge, and some experience, in producing bio fuel. Rice among other agri-projects was included in government funded R&D projects. The initial conclusion of the research that Thailand could not grow enough bio feedstock without creating a shortage of cereals for human consumption. I spent my life working in the energy business and remain intensely interested to find out if these Thai R&D projects can ultimately succeed.

One bio feedstock based on farmed brushwood in Holland showed great promise but has not been put into production on a commercial scale.

Whoever suggests that there is another ultimate goal of the rice scam pledging project must be a bit daft.

Do you really think all the governement's proponents who tried to defend the huge losses in the past few months would not have mentioned that glorious idea? (But, tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if Kittirat would jump to the idea as soon as he hears about it. )

Not to talk about the moral issue of using a main staple food for energy production whilst there are still quite a few people starving on this world. Although I admitt, all the rice that is rotting in the warehouses would better be turned into bio fuel.

There are no pro-government supporters. There are only Thaksin-brainwashed idiots who can only claim their education came from a bottle.

Yeah, right...

This is no simple issue. Your team is just as dirty as the ones you hate.

Welcome to reality, and I hope you enjoy your stay here. Have a buttered skone, and a kidney mince pie with your pint.

Just have a NICE day of your stay in Never Never Land... You are Alice. Hello Alice. How ...womanlycheesy.gif

Saves on the storage costs,. Easy really. But it would cut global prices, which this scheme, deisgned to increase the price of a global staple food, does not want.

It wants to keep the poor poor, and increase the wealth of the rich. Then take their land coz they cannot afford to farm it.

Thaksin wanted this when he proposed mega farms owned by his arab mates. Remember?

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 1

There are no pro-government supporters. There are only Thaksin-brainwashed idiots who can only claim their education came from a bottle.

Yeah, right...

Welcome to reality, and I hope you enjoy your stay here. Have a buttered skone, and a kidney mince pie with your pint.

Just have a NICE day of your stay in Never Never Land... You are Alice. Hello Alice. How ...womanlycheesy.gif

What ??? My stay ???? 32 years that's all, do not like beer, scones jam butter. never had a kidney mince pie-as a butcher no such thing,

Who the F is Alice ???

• Like 1

It is pretty cheap to pay farmers to not grow. Farmers don't have a big profit margin, and they need to be paid only the amount they might profit from a crop. That is a lot cheaper than paying more than market price for the actual rice after it's harvested. Paying to not grow also doesn't require any storage, and reduces any surpluses which affect world prices negatively.

But that doesn't give those in control the opportunity for graft in the storage, sales theft of the rice, lack of accountability for the rice and so on.

Is there any proof that the government has actually sold any of this rice? If so, how much did they lose on it after buying it far above market price?

Yeah, right...

What ??? My stay ???? 32 years that's all, do not like beer, scones jam butter. never had a kidney mince pie-as a butcher no such thing,

Who the F is Alice ???

gj, you should know, but if not, let Smokie tell you.

• Like 1

" the government would have to spend more than five years to clear the stockpiles "

Total BS it could clear it in barely a year.... but that would mean taking a huge loss ...send it to somalia or other needfull places ... for free ... much better than letting it rot.

Do Thailand actually give anything to causes or help financially internationally like other nations do ? i admit i have no clue whatsoever ... but its about time it did with what it cant get rid of before it rots, heres a chance to do a real good thing for a change...ok wishful thinking but it is doable

• Like 1

It is pretty cheap to pay farmers to not grow. Farmers don't have a big profit margin, and they need to be paid only the amount they might profit from a crop. That is a lot cheaper than paying more than market price for the actual rice after it's harvested. Paying to not grow also doesn't require any storage, and reduces any surpluses which affect world prices negatively.

But that doesn't give those in control the opportunity for graft in the storage, sales theft of the rice, lack of accountability for the rice and so on.

Is there any proof that the government has actually sold any of this rice? If so, how much did they lose on it after buying it far above market price?

There is an inherent problem there.

Paying farmers not to grow is fine, but you then have to pay the millers not to mill, and the exporters not to export.

The country (i.e. taxpayer) has to support an industry that doesn't produce anything, has nothing to sell and serves no useful purpose, other than existing..

It's a bit like a government really.

If there's 16 million tons as some suggest...then it's ~430..50K ton shiploads....or 400,000 semi trailer trucks.....

Better still 800 trillion grains approximately.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question85077.html

Or, if each grain were an average 6mm long, then placed end to end would be a string of rice approx 4.8 billion KM long.

Or they would stretch around the world 119,775,421,085.46 times. (almost 120 billion)

Or they would stretch from earth to the moon and back 6,243.44 times.

That is how bad this problem is.... It is positively intergalactic.

• Like 1

If there's 16 million tons as some suggest...then it's ~430..50K ton shiploads....or 400,000 semi trailer trucks.....

Nice picture.

I only think about

+

So what Thailand could do with this money?

Could?

I think there are already 600.000.000.000 gone.

So give to the people this money:

It is 600.000. x 1.000.000 = 600.000 houses each 1.000.000 Baht (no luxury included).

How many inhabitants has Chiang Mai?

The could build Chiang Mai II

or

they could have modernize all schools and public hospitals throughout the country!

I have big thai family (North, South, West, East, central),

so please understand that i am very angry about this.

Edited by tomacht8

Ironically, the way around this is to pay them NOT to gro

Ha ha, but the same as Europe farmers were paid not to breed pigs, but If I remember right a farmer said I will not breed 10 thousand pigs thencheesy.gif I am nearly sure this happened or something similar.

Problem is, they could announce that everyone who is a registered thai rice farmer can claim 50k baht per year to sit around and do nothing.

They would magically have 50mn rice farmers.

RICE

It'll take over 5 years forever to clear stockpiles: exporter

And you self serving politicians weren't even kind enough to donate your rice stock to the Philippines' typhoon victims, because you worry too much about Thailand's image

Serves those bastards right, nobody wants to do economic business with S( C)HINA except China

Yeah, right...

When you look in the mirror do you see your avatar in the reflection? If yes, please stop smoking all substances, seek help and follow the medication plan!

When I saw the headline of this topic, the thought popped into my head: Easy solution - just give the rice millers and buyers 2 weeks to do whatever they want with no supervision at all. Problem solved. Then the government can start again fresh.

Edited by bangon04