sticky s**t greed or desperation

salavan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but will you get a credit of 85 satang on your next bill? In the past I have paid for six months worth of bills in advance and the amount was always estimated. I always paid a bit more and got credit for that.

Blame computer programmers who provide accounting systems that cannot round up or down to the nearest coin unit which in Thailand is 25 satang. Or allow for overpayment which shows as credit on the account. The nearest baht would be more sensible. Not even the banks do it. Lao shops usually give you candies to compensate for kips overpayment.

Edited by laobali

holy cow people only exacerbate the problems in this world

im too nice prolly, but when I owe 1b extra, thais dont have to ask me for it, I bend over backwards and give it to them

I shit u not thais give me free stuff alllllll the time, becsuse they know im a good person,

I dont even barter some times because im so happy for the product, then thais insist I have it cheaper, on multiple occasions.

I wanna kiss them sometimes, they provide their services and I reward they with money

Edited by tomta20012

Is anyone else thinking that this guy must be the Cheapest Charlie in the world to be whingeing over 15 satang?w00t.gif

Is anyone else thinking than a multibillion company make the wrong choice when employing a bitter female cashier that won't say "mai pen rai" for 15 satangs over 635 Bts, as any food stall vendor would have done over 20 Bts ?

what other country would let u get away with not paying the total bill. None that i know..... Are u scottish??? Joking

If someone already posted what I am going to post, sorry (I have slow net today.... haha!)

This was a monthly, recurrent bill I assume, one that doesn't change. You knew how much the bill was, I also assume, such as getting bill in the mail or whatever. It is your responsibility to pay the amount, not their responsibility to shave something off the top. This is not like ringing up some items at Tesco. Thai was not at fault, you were. You could have asked her to apply 85 satang to next months bill also, btw. That part would have been interesting I bet!

I've seen it all now, a complaint about paying 15 satang, which he actually did owe.

Indeed.

If the OP is the type to get bent out of shape over 15 satang, he should be carrying a few 25 and 50 satang coins in his wallet so as to minimize his losses in these situations. A couple of microscopic bits of shrapnel could have cut his loss down to 10 satang.

When I was in Italy many moons ago before the euro came in, if the shop didn't have the correct change, which it never did.. They gave you a penny sweet in lieu of the 2 or 3 lira.. It was 2500 or something to the pound..and I was never short on sweets...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't be put off by the righteous satang counters here, reality is that she would not have lost anything, any cashier always has a little coins buffer because people leave small coins behind all the time. In the US you see it as "give a penny take a penny", In thailand you don't but is there anyway.

Nobody in Thailand makes a fuss for 15 satangs, she wanted to give you a bad time and surely had resentment toward foreigners.

Are you serious? Now the race card.

This is too funny.

That she had "...resentment toward foreigners" before this happened is not certain.

That she has it now, almost surely is.

Great festive username you have there mate,gave me a giggle!laugh.png

Is anyone else thinking that this guy must be the Cheapest Charlie in the world to be whingeing over 15 satang?w00t.gif

Is anyone else thinking than a multibillion company make the wrong choice when employing a bitter female cashier that won't say "mai pen rai" for 15 satangs over 635 Bts, as any food stall vendor would have done over 20 Bts ?

I suspect the employees are given no choice as to what to do. They probably not given the option of "mai pen rai" over any amount.

Do the math, if there were 1000 cheap ass like you , how much money she would have to pay out of her pocket. If you were in her shoes, I am pretty sure that you would say thing differently. I guarantee you that Thai people are one of nicest people on earth. She was probably very busy what she was doing and had to repeat herself several times over stupid 15 satangs. You knew exactly how much you owed , it's your responsibility to bring enough money to pay you bill left alone exact change. Have a nice night.

Well, in the US you could get a penny/give a penny in stores, but you wouldn't get that with a utility bill or anything like that. Of course, there, you can pay by check or by automatic withdrawal and it can go down to the last cent without a problem.

Here, I pay my bills at 7/11...is just easier to pay them when I stop by anyway and I don't have to make an extra trip. I think they charge 10 baht for that, but that is what I would spend in gas, not to mention the annoying trip, which is worth 10 baht to me. They always return satang to me if my bill is odd. I really should make a cup for those, but usually they just get lost in the couch.

I get that the OP is angry because he was forced to break a 1000 in one way or another instead of just leaving, but it just isn't worth getting upset about. However, it should be a lesson that large companies do care about your last satang, so don't listen to them when they tell you "oh, it's just a small charge" about something else. Give them their satang, but don't let them overcharge you, either.

Did you have access to the service which you are required to pay for over the month you were billed?

Then you owe every satang you were billed, I know of no utility company here or in the home country that will accept less then you were billed for, I find it extremely hard to believe you by chance had in your pocket the exact change except the 15 satang in question, some coincidence.

You requested the service, you received the service and "surprise" you must pay in full for the service, if you are dissatisfied with having to pay the exact same charge you have been paying. (drop that service).

You are the one that is wrong in your situation, you must pay in full the complete price of the service you receive, that you make an issue out of 15 satang, says a lot about yourself.

Cheers

It's highly unlikely he had continuous uninterrupted service for a month. That would be something of a miracle. But you're missing the point that the girl who made such an issue over 15 satang the short changed him for 85 satang. He should have turned the tables by standing in front of her repeating "85 satang, 85 satang.....".

• Like 1

So you expect to pay less than you should because you don't have the right change?

It was impossible for him to have the 'right change', also impossible for the cashier to give him the correct change.

To save making a big issue over 15 Satang,she could have added it on the next months bill.

This whole situation is silly. Whatever you don't pay this month will appear on next month's bill. If your bill was 635.15 and you gave her only 630 baht, then I would expect to see a balance due of 5.15 on your next bill plus whatever the current month's charges are. If she has the right to demand .15 baht payment, then you have the right to demand .85 baht in change. But in reality of course, neither can happen.

[edit]

Although, having thought more about it, my personal preference would be to pay 640 baht on this bill and expect to see a credit of 4.85 on the next.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

So you expect to pay less than you should because you don't have the right change?

rounded up or down to the nearest baht usually the point im trying to make is no give and take only take

If the cashier is short on takings she has to make it up out of her own money. Why should she pay part of your internet bill for you? coffee1.gif

were talking about 0.15 stang here impossible to make up that amount up as the lowest denomination is 0.25

Its 0.15 Baht = 15 Satang not 0.15 Satang.

Why are you offended by being asked to pay what you owe?

LOL..... she's probably been telling all her Thai friends about this 'mean' farang who wouldn't cough up 1 baht so she could balance her till....!

There is no "till" to balance in this case. Her inflow register would show 635.00 coming into the "till" and that is exactly how much the customer's account would be credited with. Nothing short, nothing over. Of course there would still be a balance due of .15 baht on the customer's account, but I guess that makes for a pretty dull story.

Why are you offended by being asked to pay what you owe?

Read some post above and find out that owing 15 satangs is not the same as owing 15 Bt.

Cashier lacked practicality and showed poor attitude when breaking 1000 for 15 satangs. In doign so she also depleted her change reserve and lost time.

You can be Thai apologetic and rightful penny counter as much as you want and that will not change this simple fact.

Edited by paz

The company should not bill people for .15 satang, it should just be on the bill already rounded up to the next baht.

On the other hand they may well have thought it through and kindly decided not to bill customers 15.1 satang, in which case, rounded up to the nearest satang we might end up owing .16 satang. Count your blessings.

Some of you are making the mistake of equating this transaction similar to that of a convenience store or gas station, where goods are being exchanged at point of sale. This comparison is fraught with errors.

Say, for example, a customer rolls in and wants to buy 29.79 worth of gasoline (because that's how much one liter costs), but this transaction could never happen. There is no way the attendant can ask for .79 baht, and no way to give .21 in change when the customer gives him 30 baht. If gasoline is 29.79 per liter, you hand the attendant 30 baht and the pump dispenses (roughly) 1.007 liters of product.

Back to the OP - unless there is some local ordinance in Thailand against carrying forward a debit on your utility bill, there's no good reason why he couldn't round down and expect to see the balance due on the next bill. But in doing so he would be (IMHO) a cheap bastige. Just round up and look for the credit on next month's bill!

rounded up or down to the nearest baht usually the point im trying to make is no give and take only take

If the cashier is short on takings she has to make it up out of her own money. Why should she pay part of your internet bill for you? coffee1.gif

I find this practice infuriating also, 15 stg for **ck sake. Why not round up/down satangs, so if its 49 stg or less forget about it and over this round up to 1 baht. Makes more sense to me , these little copper coins are surely anachronistic in 21st century Thailand. Move on!

Cashier lacked practicality and showed poor attitude when breaking 1000 for 15 satangs. In doign so she also depleted her change reserve and lost time.

I agree with this.

She greatly complicated the transaction which introduces the opportunity for error. Any reasonably savvy company should know this and have policies in place telling employees not to process transactions in fractional baht. The bill should have been either rounded up or down, or the clerk should have been empowered to accept inexact payments resulting in a post-transaction credit balance or balance due.

• Like 1

you could have given just 1000 baht

and you got the change in return

you did not complain that you had to pay 15 extra baht on top (7/11 seems to charge that)

Read the full thread, that's exactly what the OP did.

And it did not happen at 7/11.

Edited by paz

" i know thai's worship money but seems to me the meanest people on the planet."

One's threshold for "meanest people" is pretty low to be applied to all Thais because of a dispute over 1 baht (or 15 satang). Come on. Yes, there are mean individuals and groups all over the planet. I have seen the meanest people on the planet and they aren't Thai. One can make a point of displeasure over an event without resorting to gross overstatements.

Okay, I get the point you are making. Obviously if a bunch of customers get away with it, at the end of the day, the poor cashier is going to be very much, "out of pocket."