Right to fight back: Women push government to legalize pepper spray for self-defense

Lite Beer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say give the girls the right to carry and use pepper spray !

If you get sprayed ,you probably deserved it !

All you narrow minded knockers out there have probably got a knife,baseball bat or some other self defence weapon strategicly placed around your home or on you....

Legalize it for woman !!!!

• Like 1

I always carry pepper spray on my bicycle to fend off dogs. When I spray a dog it immediately looses all interest in my ankle and beats a quick retreat. It has saved me many times from a nasty bite. I use pepper spray sent from the USA as it shoots in a 15 foot (3 meter) stream. The pepper spray I have bought at Big C Extra in Pattaya is useless as it comes out as a mist rather than a stream. About a year ago I saw pepper spray for sale in front of the police station on Beach Road Jomtien. I just assumed pepper spray was legal but I made the silly mistake in thinking the BIB and the Thai law had some commonality.

I say give the girls the right to carry and use pepper spray !

If you get sprayed ,you probably deserved it !

All you narrow minded knockers out there have probably got a knife,baseball bat or some other self defence weapon strategicly placed around your home or on you....

Legalize it for woman !!!!

Does the right include same for LadyBoys?

Good. As with too many laws in Thailand that fail to put people's best interests ahead of gov't, this one is decades overdue. Hopeful the shrimp dik legislators who penned the insidious laws against possessing the spray get a snout full...

Edited by FM505
  • Like 1

I wonder what part of the actual pepper spray makes it illegal - The pepper or the spray?

Since if simply carrying pepper that could be thrown into the face manually would not (hopefully) not be an illegal offence - Obviously not as fast or accurate, but it is still pepper in the eyes - And so then you just need to find a container that can hold the pepper and transfer it without spraying - That can't be right?

Wouldn't bother me , im a nice guy ..coffee1.gif

It seems less harmfull than the weapons already available on streets..

Id rather get peppered than stabbed or shot ...

Have to be for everybody though .. cant understand why this is a woman thing ...

Downside , it could increase the amount of balcony incidents , spray , push , bye bye ..tnx for laptop

n cash ...

wai2.gif

what kind of law making the posession of pepper spray more punishable than selling yaba.... land of stupids ?

if you take your chili pepper and mix them in your blender & put this in a dispenser, is that legal ? you can always claim & even show it is to spicy up your food

Great. Allow it. Should be allowed and freely available already. I have a lot of respect for women and nothing for slutty boys without balls who hurt females. Spray them, abuse them, knock them to the ground. Beat them unconscious. I am sorry I might have gone too far.

You have not gone too far.

• Like 1

if you live in kanchanaburi this would be a must have to fend of the thousands of soi dogs here

my mother got harassed by a group of soi dogs....next day she went in pet shop and bought some of the good food and gave it for them.

From then on when she wandered around and the dogs saw her, they run to her and protect her against everything...10+ dogs, even when she had no food for them.

I guess that is the Thai way (my mother isn't Thai....)

what kind of law making the posession of pepper spray more punishable than selling yaba.... land of stupids ?

if you take your chili pepper and mix them in your blender & put this in a dispenser, is that legal ? you can always claim & even show it is to spicy up your food

Add some potassium permanganate to give a stain for identifying the crims later...perfect harmless mix

if you live in kanchanaburi this would be a must have to fend of the thousands of soi dogs here

I bought some a few years back for that very reason.........

Not only your area...........

I moved house and threw it away, but never realised I was carrying something illegal..

CRAZY , on so many fronts .

Current punishment is completely ridicuolous ..And has this ever been enforced ? Doubt it

You can get it already , all over the Place , Many are uneffected as others have said .

All you would be doing is Creating a Legal outlet , and if it were used , What actual percentage would be for female Safety ?

Whats to stop your attacker using it also ? ..Potentially a much Stronger Version .

Based on the same Logic as USA gun Laws , Just Plain Crazy .

"Owning pepper spray is punishable by 10 years in prison and a fine of THB1 million, according to the Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535, which is more severe than the punishment given to yaba-selling drug dealers." '<deleted>'

With the infinite wisdom of the Thai judicial system it is possible to get a longer jail sentence for possession the weapon of choice for fighting rapists, than the rapist would get for raping an innocent young woman. In addition the sentence would be longer that most any Thai politician would get for fleecing the public, or any policeman would get for committing the horrific crime of bribing the public, or extorting money from innocent victims. Sounds like a logical system, no?

Okay, this is something I know about (ginjag will be happy I'm talking about something I know about rather than winding people up!). It's what I do and is my profession (I teach Krav Maga). Problems with pepper-sprays are numerous;

1 in 4 people are no effected by pepper spray to a point high enough to stop them doing what they want to do.

The pepper sprays shown in the image above are tiny little things and you need to be very close up for them to work (a law enforcement standard one will spray 15 or 20 meters)

If the wind is wrong it can blow back into your own face

If you don't use it quick enough you run the risk of the attacker seizing it and using it against you

Fake pepper spray from street vendors/market traders.

In reality a larger can of hair spray is better some times

What's the answer? Well one answer would be to come and get proper instruction and training with us or another properly affiliated Krav Maga school. Common sense is a good starting place. I could write a manual about it (in fact I have) but for this post I would recommend NOT relying on pepper spray for a defence purpose. Common objects such as key, credit cards can work more effectively as does the voice - not just calling for help but shouting dynamically as loud as possible into the attackers ear.

Feel free to check out <snip> dotcom for more info (not a plug - have a look)

Not a plug? lol.

Points 1, 2, 5 and 6 are completele bull$#!t, and the others are minor issues.

Nope, the only one speaking b/s here is you. I teach civilians and I teach law enforcement, military and security forces and I've been doing it since 1995. What's your qualifications? Explain to me how those points are b/s because I can support everything I say. I am really interested to hear about your qualifications? How many years you've been teaching - and what you teach (I already know the answer, nothing)

Your weaponless defense credentials are completely irrelevant to the topic of the effectiveness of pepper spray. In fact it gives you a clear bias. Your comments to me indicate you have no experience with OC.

You could not be more wrong about my background, both civilian law enforcement and para-military. But my background is also irrelevant, as all you need to do is read up on it. I have been exposed during training and used OC in the field numerous times. I have never seen someone either in training or in the field " no[t] effected by pepper spray to a point high enough to stop them doing what they want to do."

In my experience, this from wikipedia pretty well describes it:

"...the general feelings after being sprayed can be best likened to being "set alight". The initial reaction should the spray be directed at the face, is the completely involuntary closing of the eyes (sometimes described as leading to a disconcerting sensation of the eyelids "bubbling and boiling" as the chemical acts on the skin), an instant sensation of the restriction of the airways and the general feeling of sudden and intense, searing pain about the face, nose, and throat. Coughing almost always follows the initial spray. Subsequent breaths through the nose or mouth leads to ingestion of the chemical, which feeds the feeling of choking. ...shock of the exposure can generate considerable panic"

Perhaps you are referring to CS or CN, aka "Mace"? If so then I would agree. I have had people keep fighting me after I maced them.

And the size of the canister does not affect range, only duration. So size really doesn't matter here. smile.png

my mother got harassed by a group of soi dogs....next day she went in pet shop and bought some of the good food and gave it for them.

From then on when she wandered around and the dogs saw her, they run to her and protect her against everything...10+ dogs, even when she had no food for them.

I guess that is the Thai way (my mother isn't Thai....)

Yes that is the way to deal with aggressive dogs here. I just moved and there are 2 dogs at the entrance of my driveway protecting a house there. The first thing the GF and I did is buy them some treats. They have not barked or chased us since. If that doesn't work, they get pepper sprayed. Do that and for sure then they will never bother you again.

One of my dogs is also very protective of my house the same way. Any new neighbors or regular passerby's I take the dog to meet. If my dog still barks and chases them, which he hasn't, but if he did, I would give the person pepper spray and ask them to spray my dog the next time he barked and chased.

This post is for Nomadjoe as I could not reply direct (something about quota of blocks or something) sad.png

Law enforcement standard or military OC spray is totally different to what is sold to the public. I've been sprayed with "domestic" and proper Capiscum spray. Domestic was not pleasant but didn't worry me too much. OC spray was an experience I don't want to repeat. But I've seen two people carry on after a good dose of it (one was mental on php and I doubt a bullet would have stopped him, he had to be choked out and the second was another instructor whoi whilst not enjoying it, carried on).

However, read the post and look at the sprays, they are not OC sprays (I'm unaware of OC sprays sold to the public except in USA). There are fake sprays and here's the issue - what consumer is going to want to test the spray on themself? Could try it out on dogs but the domestic type of spray shown don't have too much effect on dogs. I also contest that size does matter a lot as it will dictate the amount of propellant available. You should know that even trained law enforcement officers have come unstuck when they have sprayed into the wind, Use of peppers sprays, just like PR24's requires training. How to access the spray quickly without fumbling, getting the top off (if it has one) how to mke a body defence (getting out of the way) after spraying if the attacker is charging, how to retain the spray if you're too late etc etc. If you're a trained law enforcement person you should know all of this - the ones I train certainly do. But have a nice day!

Okay, this is something I know about (ginjag will be happy I'm talking about something I know about rather than winding people up!). It's what I do and is my profession (I teach Krav Maga). Problems with pepper-sprays are numerous;

1 in 4 people are no effected by pepper spray to a point high enough to stop them doing what they want to do.

The pepper sprays shown in the image above are tiny little things and you need to be very close up for them to work (a law enforcement standard one will spray 15 or 20 meters)

If you don't use it quick enough you run the risk of the attacker seizing it and using it against you

What's the answer? Well one answer would be to come and get proper instruction and training with us or another properly affiliated Krav Maga school. Common sense is a good starting place. I could write a manual about it (in fact I have) but for this post I would recommend NOT relying on pepper spray for a defence purpose. Common objects such as key, credit cards can work more effectively as does the voice - not just calling for help but shouting dynamically as loud as possible into the attackers ear.

Feel free to check out thailandkravmaga dotcom for more info (not a plug - have a look)

cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif Why the H#ll bring me into your pepper reply, I must have touched a nerve somewhere ??? if what you say is fact and you know what you are talking about, then good, I hope so, normally you get a lot of flack.

this post is better than your biased posts of late.clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Feel free to check out thailandkravmaga dotcom for more info (not a plug - have a look)

cheesy.gifcoffee1.gif Why the H#ll bring me into your pepper reply, I must have touched a nerve somewhere ??? if what you say is fact and you know what you are talking about, then good, I hope so, normally you get a lot of flack.

this post is better than your biased posts of late.clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

So pleased about your sense of humour! Trust me you haven't touched any nerve with me.. The only people that can touch a nerve with me are people who are unbiased themselves.