Taxis Phuket Airport

niagarekoja

I just came in from the airport, Meter taxis refuse to use meters, 500tbh to chalong was the price was, managed to negotiate down to 450tbh, those who worked in the office refused to send any taxi driver away on meter..<deleted>!!

450b might be cheaper than the meter

nope, I go to the same place each time and the driver admit it that it costs 400tbh with meters, but that now he can not drive on it..

How can I get to Kao Lak from Phuket airport? Is there any public transport/minivans? What would be a taxi fare? Are the taxis metered or the price has to be negotiated in advance? What about the surcharge? In Bkk airport you can walk out to the main road and get a taxi without any hassle or additional pay. Is it the same in Phuket, but I have to walk out of the car park, or was it just to avoid limos, LivinLos? I won't have any heavy luggage.

There is no public transport from the airport to Khao Lak.

Haggle with the taxidrivers just outside the arrival hall, don't pay more than 1200 Baht, and if you have good bargaining skills you might get it for as low as 1000 Baht. Don't use the taxi counter in the arrival hall.

If you are travelling light and on a tight budget, you could also take a taxi, or a tuktuk passing by on the public road to the highway (5 KM from the airport) and wait for a Khao Lak/Takua Pa bound bus there.

Edit: Jeez, dementia must be setting in early, I notice only now that I am replying to a 6 years old post. I hope the person I am replying to doesn't have to worry about taxi prices anymore, and hands out generous tips.

Yep, a 6 year old post and still no affordable public transport on the island. The only thing that has changed are the names of the dead and injured from motorbike accidents and the wealth of certain Thai people in high up places.

We can revisit this thread in another 6 years and the situation will still be the same, if not worse.