Taking voting rights away from poor and uneducated not the answer: Thai election commissioner

webfact

Taking voting rights away from poor and uneducated not the answer: election commissioner
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- TALK AMONG the educated middle class and the elite about taking away people's right to vote is unacceptable, Election Commission member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said, adding that this went against the fundamental values of equality.

Over past weeks, more and more anti-government protesters have been heard saying that perhaps people without a degree or those too poor to pay income tax should not be allowed to vote as they are either too gullible or prone to selling their votes.

"I don't agree with that," said Somchai, who is in charge of election administration. "Highly educated people can also be selfish and take advantage of society. They can also use their education and knowledge to open up new ways to engage in corruption. The argument that [better educated and wealthier] urban citizens should have more rights than provincial folks is just unacceptable."

Somchai said anyone who only consumed one-sided media could become vulnerable and risk becoming a blind supporter of one political side. He acknowledged, however, that vote-buying was rife and it would take time to eradicate this problem.

He also cast doubt on the proposed national and political reform, recalling that the last time around - after the 2006 coup - the junta-appointed administration had a year but couldn't do anything.

Blame, he said, should not be placed solely on the poor or the less educated, adding that it was the responsibility of the entire society. "You can't just blame the [poor and less educated] voters and you can't just punish them alone."

However, he acknowledged that some rural and urban voters had been misled by a political party, adding that some policies, such as the village fund, were now being seen for what they are - money from the taxpayer's pocket, not from a multibillionaires like Thaksin Shinawatra.

Somchai said the poor in Thailand were so poor that a few hundred baht in exchange for a vote could help cover bills for a few days, so they accepted it.

"A hundred to 200 baht means so much to them ... It has become a tradition," he said, referring to the problem of politicians handing out money to poor voters. "The habit of vote-buying in Thailand is getting worse now than in the past."

The commissioner also said that no matter how the electoral regulations are adjusted, this issue will continue into the long term because of the socio-economic disparity between the rich and the poor. Besides, politicians once in power have no incentive to do anything about it.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-21

• Like 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over past weeks, more and more anti-government protesters have been heard saying that perhaps people without a degree or those too poor to pay income tax should not be allowed to vote as they are either too gullible or prone to selling their votes.

As the vast majority of those out there protesting are not rich and do not have degrees I don't see where he gets that one.

There have been a few that have suggested that but I doubt ant of them are out on the street, rather sitting in their ivory towers thinking only of themselves.

"I don't agree with that," said Somchai, who is in charge of election administration. "Highly educated people can also be selfish and take advantage of society. They can also use their education and knowledge to open up new ways to engage in corruption. The argument that [better educated and wealthier] urban citizens should have more rights than provincial folks is just unacceptable."

He is dead right on that one and we have seen a wonderful example in the last 2 years of the PT Govt

The rest he has got right as well.

However this time round the ordinary people are out there demanding change and are not prepared to leave it to the politicians.

• Like 2

Most of the northern (poor and uneducated) voters are lao and most of the hookers in Bangkok come from there too.

I've been with a lot of prostitutes in BKK like I know many of you have and they aren't as dumb as you think. The only good thing is that they are poor so they go into prostitution for us.

But I also don't blame the elites, if I was a Thai elite I would be extremely unhappy losing power to these lowly people.

What a paradox!

*Spelling mistake

Edited by applez

Most of the northern (poor and uneducated) voters are lao and most of the hookers in Bangkok come from there too.

I've been with a lot of prostitutes in BKK like I know many of you have and they aren't as dumb as you think. The only good thing is that they are poor so they go into prostitution for us.

But I also don't blame the elites, if I was a Thai elite I would be extremely unhappy losing power to these lowly people.

What a paradox!

*Spelling mistake

Wow!

1503764.GIF

• Like 2

However this time round the ordinary people are out there demanding change and are not prepared to leave it to the politicians.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

So they are not prepared to leave it to the politicians and are therefore on the streets protesting to show their support to ... uhm ... a politician / political party. Sounds logical to me...

• Like 1

If they allow uneducated slackjaws to vote, they should also give family pets voting rights also. Fairs fair.

Realistically there should be some sort of IQ test as regards voting, just to make sure that a basic understanding of politics has been attained by the prospective voter.

• Like 1

As the vast majority of those out there protesting are not rich and do not have degrees I don't see where he gets that one.

They are rich, and they are "well-educated".

Maybe not in your eyes, but they are relatively to the rest of the country.

It is not about an absolute level of wealth or education, but about a relative level compared to "the farmers in the North and North-East".

• Like 2

politicians once in power think they have the right to get the money back they spent to be elected and find nothing wrong with devating public money into their own pockets, a very deep rooted problem touching ethics and honesty.

taking the vote right away from the poor and uneducated was a discussion ion every democracy. in switzerland there was the discussion that the matters to vote about are too complicated fro them....however do not underestimate the instinct of the voters....in many votings they proffed to be right in switzerland

Taking away the voting rights of the Thai poor and uneducated. The fact that this is even being discussed should be cause for international intervention. Where are you UK , US and Australia? Thai elite and privileged class are discussing taking away voting rights from the Thai poor and uneducated. Do you stand for this without a public statement of position?

• Like 1

Proportional representation based on education?

I saw a Dr Seri Wongmontha (?), a "celebrity" media personality, say that the views of 300,000 people in BKK are worth more than those of 15 million uneducated people in the boondocks who voted for PTP (and I think he meant to restrict the 15 mln to those in N & NE, and not those in the South).

So by his/her maths, 1 learned vote = 50 riff-raff's.

I find this odd.

Dr Seri has righteously campaigned for decades to get equal opportunities for GBLTs like her/him. Many years ago he/she claimed to have been barred from TV because he/she was gay. Now no more, partly because of his/her efforts, thank goodness.

Yet he/she is happy to see another disadvantaged segment (the less-well-off) continue to be discriminated against by the "Elites"?

What a paradox, and very un-Christian. Very un-Buddhist too, I would assume..

Dr Seri should be glad he/she lives in a supposedly-tolerant country like Thailand.

When I lived in Texas, unspeakable things have happened to people like him/her in red-neck country.

• Like 1

If they allow uneducated slackjaws to vote, they should also give family pets voting rights also. Fairs fair.

Realistically there should be some sort of IQ test as regards voting, just to make sure that a basic understanding of politics has been attained by the prospective voter.

IQ test? Sounds like a form of apartheid.

Every country has their share of the less-educated (and frankly stupid) - US, Brazil, Indonesia, UK, Australia, S Africa, India.

You suggest that in those countries, and see where that gets you.

Main political parties in all these countries would never agree with your idea.

Maybe a few ultra-nationalistic extreme parties might agree to some aspects of inequality, like the Tea Party or the British National Party.

• Like 1

Classic!

1514013.gif

• Like 2

Every country would like to have a bright, well-educated electorate, however, I know educated people who are raging liberals and others who are extremely conservative.

If they disenfranchise a large part of the Thai population, then the next step is to keep them from getting an education (even a poor one, like there is now) and you have complete control. Perhaps they can traffic the poor uneducated people like they do with the Rohingyas.

Burma, in it's darkest hours, looks positively enlightened compared to some of the ideas of how to get and keep power.

• Like 1

"Sometimes I think that a parody of democracy is more dangerous than a blatant dictatorship, because that gives people an opportunity to avoid doing anything about it." A S S Kyi

"The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all." JFK

"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice do so wisely. The real safeguard of democracy is education." FDR

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections" Lord Acton

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

this isnt the answer, education does not give people the right to vote, being a citizen of the country does. What they need to stop are the populist policies(village fund, rice scam etc) that are being run by the ptp to garner the poors votes. If these schemes are stopped and outlawed then it removes the power the ptp/thaksin holds over them. As the article says, the poor vote for who ever is willing to pay them so this needs to stop in the north and south. Until the bribery/vote rigging etc is removed there will never be fair and honest voting in Thailand, it isnt a matter of reds and yellows, the political vote buying has to be stopped before it destroys the country.

• Like 2