Temperature plummets to below freezing in Loei and Phitsanulok

webfact

Temperature plummets to below freezing in Loei and Phitsanulok
The Nation

30222634-01_big.gif
Frost blankets the roof of a car in Phitsanulok

BANGKOK: -- The temperature dropped to minus-1 degree Celsius in Loei's Phu Rua district yesterday, with frost spreading over the soccer field of a local school.

"The frost covered parts of Ban Dinsor School. It's clearly visible," said Tan Promwan, the village head of Ban Dinsor.

The mercury will likely drop further in Loei over the weekend, according to the latest weather forecast.

"A rather powerful high-pressure ridge from China will spread over the upper part of Thailand on December 21-22, and vecause of this, the temperature will plunge overall," the bureau said.

In Loei, the temperature across several districts ranged between minus-1 and plus-9 degrees.

In Phitsanulok, the temperature also dropped below the freezing point. Locals in Moo 10, tambon Noen Phoem in Nakhon Thai district, said they saw frost in the morning and a temperature check showed that the mercury had gone into the minus zone.

Many locals had to remove ice flakes from their vehicles, as they needed to drop their children off at school.

Some children said they reported to class late because their parents needed to remove a lot of frost.

Tourists were probably intrigued, however, as Thailand rarely enjoys such cold weather.

In Nakhon Phanom, about 100,000 people lacked warm clothes to fight the cold spell, according to a survey by local officials. To date, Nakhon Phanom Governor Adisak Thepeat has declared 10 of the province's 12 districts cold-spell-hit zones.

Each district office has a budget of Bt1 million to help affected people.

"We are handing out warm clothes," Adisak said. He emphasised that locals, especially the elderly, children and the disabled, must take extra care of their health this winter.

"If you light a fire to keep yourself warm, but please be careful about the risk of the fire spreading," Adisak warned.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-21

"Tourists were probably intrigued, however, as Thailand rarely enjoys such cold weather". Enjoys may not be the word tourists would use for this. blink.png

giggle.gif Tourists who come for a winter break to escape the weather at home would definitely not use the word. Almost sounds like a TAT press release.

• Like 1

Bkk is effin cold too! slept fully clothed under 2 duvets last night.

MUst be acclimatised as I ain't turned me A/C on in over a year, only use fans. Even so, for the locals, this must be like the Arctic, and like dropping tropical fish in the Atlantic.

I feel for the sick and the old.

• Like 1

MUst be acclimatised as I ain't turned me A/C on in over a year, only use fans. Even so, for the locals, this must be like the Arctic, and like dropping tropical fish in the Atlantic.

LOL.I had the aircon on low. It's still hot in Bangkok.

With this cold snap (speaking relavitistically) imagine those two brave researchers from Chula going to the Antarctic. My prayers go with them! Thais are built for the heat, and there is very little of that in the land Way Down Under.

Peace.

I actually do not find it too funny that some people here are actually making jokes over people, mainly elderly people, who are dying because of these unusually very cold temperatures, if that was a relative of yours would you think it was so funny??

I actually do not find it too funny that some people here are actually making jokes over people, mainly elderly people, who are dying because of these unusually very cold temperatures, if that was a relative of yours would you think it was so funny??

It's not funny.

I remember a big article in the paper that shall not be named quite a few years ago about how thousands of British pensioners die in the UK during a hard British winter because of the poor quality housing and fuel poverty there. Yes. This was in the tsoP kokgnaB (read backwards).

The number quoted was in the tens of thousands!

• Like 1

That photo reminds me of the times when piling into the van to go to the Lake Louise DH competition. The van is started and the

in dash thermometer reads -37c. Athletes whip out there cell phones to take a picture of the temperature display so send to there parents

as proof of how cold they are telling there parents it is. Unfortunately this is quite a frequent occurrence with temperatures dipping

this low during the competition every 3-4 years.

It's not funny.

I remember a big article in the paper that shall not be named quite a few years ago about how thousands of British pensioners die in the UK during a hard British winter because of the poor quality housing and fuel poverty there. Yes. This was in the tsoP kokgnaB (read backwards).

The number quoted was in the tens of thousands!

Did you say Bangkok Post ?

LOL.I had the aircon on low. It's still hot in Bangkok.

Really? I have just taken the reading on my balcony, Don Muang area, 22'C. So nice not to have the usual sweaty back problem!