Merry Christmas Phuket! Governor to announce bypass road speed limit

webfact

Merry Christmas Phuket! Governor to announce bypass road speed limit
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013122112511382_bsLkOtfrLWhq
Drunk driving, speeding, ghost riding and riding motorbikes without helmets were named the top culprits for people being injured or killed in road accidents during the annual holidays. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut on December 25 will announce the speed limit for motorists travelling along the bypass road, officially called Chalermprakiat Ror IX Road and unofficially one of Phuket’s deadliest motorways.

The move will be the first of many measures taken in the hope of achieving zero fatalities over the new year holidays.

“The usual ‘Seven Days of Danger’ road-safety campaign will be over 10 days this new year,” Governor Maitri told a meeting at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Phuket (DDPM-Phuket) headquarters in Phuket Town earlier this week.

“This is because many Thais will be on holiday and Phuket will be in its peak high season, with many tourists on the island,” he explained.

Road accidents usually increase over the new year holidays, sometimes by as much as three times, Governor Maitri pointed out.

“During the Seven Days of Danger campaign last new year, there were 27 accidents, in which nine people died and 24 people were injured,” he said (story here).

“This year, I would like to see ‘zero’ listed as the number of fatalities, and if possible I’d like to see ‘zero’ as the number of accidents.”

The governor called on police to step up efforts to keep motorists and tourists in Phuket safe.

“Officers must be strict on catching drunk drivers, people riding motorbikes without helmets, driving against the traffic-flow [ghost riding] and committing other traffic violations,” he said.

“In total, there will be 24 checkpoints across the island,” Gov Maitri noted.

“Speed limits will also be strictly enforced with the use of speed cameras installed on the bypass road, in Thalang and at Tah Chat Chai,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Merry-Christmas-Phuket-Governor-to-announce-bypass-road-speed-limit-23079.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-21

• Like 1

I must admit I am curious to know the speedlimit there. I drive there on a regular basis but don't know how fast I can legally drive.

Agreed, Ive only ever noticed the yellow background black text signs which as far as I am aware are cautionary often seen before bends on the main north south route near the airport and north of it.

As for real limits, never seen them posted. Interesting that the article doesnt specify the limit either.

You should not be driving if you don't know that the national speed limit -unless otherwise posted - is 90kph.

So the way I read the report is that the 90kph will apply.

I try to avoid telling people, either in person or on-line, what they should or shouldn't be doing. In this case, the poster seems to be soliciting information about the speed limit and not a chastisement over his post.

Just the way I see it.

Live and Let Live.

There is one main deterent I think the Government should spend some of the wasted money and the useless porky suggestions from Governors and Police high up's, go all out with speed cameras, place the warnings and penalties (make them severe like 100bt for each kl over the limit with auto 50k fine and 1-3 months jail for 30 ks over the limit and car confiscation for 3-5 offences within 1 yr. but all fines paid into a government account through a Bank

There is one main deterent I think the Government should spend some of the wasted money and the useless porky suggestions from Governors and Police high up's, go all out with speed cameras, place the warnings and penalties (make them severe like 100bt for each kl over the limit with auto 50k fine and 1-3 months jail for 30 ks over the limit and car confiscation for 3-5 offences within 1 yr. but all fines paid into a government account through a Bank
make ot just like home hey? :)

You should not be driving if you don't know that the national speed limit -unless otherwise posted - is 90kph.

You could have made a positive contribution to the thread by telling us the speedlimit at this specific location in stead of a general remark.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You could have made a positive contribution to the thread by telling us the speedlimit at this specific location in stead of a general remark.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the bypass road is considered to be within city limits then it should be 60kph.

• Like 1

It's never been really clear (at least to me) what the limit is on the bypass road. I assume it's 90 kph, but 60 kph would be more sensible. Perhaps they need to post up speed limit signs. Especially if there is a speed camera there.

It for sure is not 120 kpm as suggested by Ivan

I've never been sure of what the speed limit anywhere in Thailand except when it's indicated - such as on route 7 to Bangkok. According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country#Countries, the speed limit on interstate highways is 90 rising to 120 on motorways. Strangely, my Garmin sometimes shows the speed limit as being 110!

I don't know how accurate wikipedia is here particularly their reference to zero tolerance when speed cameras are in operation!

Alan

Paying fines to the bank...here whistling.gif Better confiscate their vehicles.