Speed cameras operational, but signs non-existent

webfact

Speed cameras operational, but signs non-existent
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013122893241984_xlKVRrCJDKCj
Four speed cameras became operational in Phuket on December 25. Photo: Irfarn Jamdukor

PHUKET: -- Motorists speeding in Phuket now face a fine of 500 baht if they are caught by one of four speed cameras that became operational on Christmas Day.

The cameras are in undisclosed locations: one within Phuket City limits; one on the bypass road; one on Thepkrasattri Road in Thalang; and one in the Tah Chat Chai area (story here).

However, no speed limit signs will be posted to notify drivers of what the limit is.

“We don’t have any plans to put up speed limit signs because we assume people already know what the limits are,” said Lt Col Rungrit Rattanapagdee of the Phuket City Traffic Police Police.

“You can’t get a driver’s license without knowing that the limit within a city is 80kmh and outside of a city, 90kmh…

“That means that on the bypass road, the speed limit is 90kmh,” he said.

The speed cameras will not photograph drivers, Col Rungrit explained, just license plates.

“A ticket will be sent directly to the registered address of the owner of the car. If you operate a car rental business, please remind your customers not to drive over the speed limit,” he added.

When asked the range of the camera, Col Rungrit replied, “You don’t need to be concerned about the range if you don’t drive too fast.”

“Please maintain a speed in the 80-90kmh range as conditions allow, for your safety and the safety of other road users,” he concluded.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Speed-cameras-operational-but-signs-non-existent-23122.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-28

• Like 2

Yes, 90 km/h is fine for me, I normally drive 90 there on cruise, so easily ok.

But I just can't believe this guy really means what he is saying, maybe is just pretending for the English press?

Yes, of course. He's not really that dumb, he's just pretending in order to give us all a laugh.

• Like 1

“We don’t have any plans to put up speed limit signs because we assume people already know what the limits are,” said Lt Col Rungrit Rattanapagdee of the Phuket City Traffic Police Police.

That is, at least, a naive statement. In countries where driver education is much more rigourous and licences are issued more strictly, speed limit signs abound. Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! This is a representative of the city's traffic police? It all starts and ends with education.

"speed limit signs abound. Why?"

Because some people in those countries are dim witted?

Maybe we need to erect signs that say: Don't jump off balconies. Don't overstay your permission-to-stay. Don't apply for an ED visa if you don't want to study. Ignorance of the law is no defense.

Or even: Don't get drunk and start fights. Don't kill people. Don't take things that don't belong to you.

"Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! "

• Like 1

That is, at least, a naive statement. In countries where driver education is much more rigourous and licences are issued more strictly, speed limit signs abound. Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! This is a representative of the city's traffic police? It all starts and ends with education.

"speed limit signs abound. Why?"

Because some people in those countries are dim witted?

Maybe we need to erect signs that say: Don't jump off balconies. Don't overstay your permission-to-stay. Don't apply for an ED visa if you don't want to study. Ignorance of the law is no defense.

Or even: Don't get drunk and start fights. Don't kill people. Don't take things that don't belong to you.

"Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! "

I hope you were joking.

Most countries have speed signs its a reminder to people how fast they can go. I bet there is budget for them but the cops stole it.

• Like 2

There should be a sign telling the speed limit and that there are cameras, to prevent abuse of tickets. you know how the police will party when the start abusing this system.

In Brazil about 10-12 years ago, after the first cameras got installed. They where put on down hill roads, in hidden places with speed limit 60-70Km/h. The cops where making huge money from this.

Then this guy who is the top Consumer-Defender Lawyer in the capital city (a relative) sued the police and made them install signs with the Speed Limit number and the notice that there is a camera within 500 meters. it's a law now.

Now, there are speed signs with the limit and notice of cameras everywhere. Over 5,000 of them in the capital city alone.

I think in Thailand the cops dont know yet how much money they can make from this.

I was pulled over for speeding recently, but they ( the traffic police) couldn't tell me what speed I was actually doing. So I asked what the limit was. 120kph on expressways and 110 kph on country roads. So even the BiB don't know the limits. TiT.

300baht on the spot fine. Worth it !

My brother in law, the cop, told me that the speed limit in Thailand is 120KPH. And I have a license. Clearly, this guy in Phuket doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your brother in law is correct the maximum speed is 120 kpm - on the inter city dual carriageways (freeways/motorways) but not within city areas, then 90 kph. Normal roads 90 kph intercity and 60 kph in city areas.

Actually the speed signs (yes there are some around usual when the road enters a regional boundary) are quite complex to read. Give speed limits to cars, differnet sort of trucks, and motor bikes. Quite confusing.

I was pulled over for speeding recently, but they ( the traffic police) couldn't tell me what speed I was actually doing. So I asked what the limit was. 120kph on expressways and 110 kph on country roads. So even the BiB don't know the limits. TiT.

300? You were diddled - it's 200 round Pattaya - less if you argue.

This is a step in the right direction for sure but this police col. obviously doesnt know how to do a job. He is probably spouting off stuff ideas he heard of how a camera is good for the province but cant comprehend why its good and what needs to be in place to properly inform the public of the limits. Im sure there probably is a budget for it but someone doesnt want to let me money go.

• Like 1

lol... so you were stopped for speeding but they couldnt even tell you how fast you were going? So they probably thought you were going 130? But werent entirely sure.... lol What kind of car do you drive if you were pulled over for going above 120?

Wife just told me should be just 100thb so even in Pattaya you were "diddled" so thats an added 100thb for skin tax

Edited by bangarang

Wife just told me should be just 100thb so even in Pattaya you were "diddled"

Farang discount!

lol... so you were stopped for speeding but they couldnt even tell you how fast you were going? So they probably thought you were going 130? But werent entirely sure.... lol What kind of car do you drive if you were pulled over for going above 120?

Just a little Merc sports. And believe me, I was doing considerably more than 120kph. lol

A lack of speed limit signs would negate a speed camera fine in most countries in the world.

Somehow don't think this will be challenged in the Thai Courts, especially after such wise words from the top traffic cop.

"in most countries in the world. "

Another Thai Visa factoid fabricated to suit one's imagination.

If you have a received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for a speeding offence, any questions you have should be answered below.

Q. I did not see any speed limit signs. How would I have known what speed limit was applicable?

The most likely answer is that you were in a 30 mph zone. These are usually signified by the presence of street lighting, lit or unlit, in a built up area as described in the Highway Code.

The only legal speed limit signs that can be used are found at the beginning of the area. The law does not allow the Highways Authorities to erect "repeater" signs where there are street lights.

Bedfordshire Police website: http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/advice_centre/casualty_reduction_partnership/frequently_asked_questions.aspx

Welsh Government: http://www.gosafe.org/en/content/cms/faqs/caught-speeding/

I didn't see any repeater signs indicating a 30mph limit.

This excuse will not be accepted. As stated in the Highway Code, roads with street lighting in the UK are subject to a 30mph limit unless there are signs indicating a higher or lower limit. Viewwww.streetlightsmean30.co.uk

Where were the camera signs? I didn't see them.

Safety camera signs may be displayed on routes leading to sites where cameras operate. This is not a legal requirement to sign our sites with camera graphics. Please note that the absence of a camera sign does not invalidate an offence.

A lack of speed limit signs would negate a speed camera fine in most countries in the world.

Somehow don't think this will be challenged in the Thai Courts, especially after such wise words from the top traffic cop.

"in most countries in the world. "

Another Thai Visa factoid fabricated to suit one's imagination.

If you have a received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for a speeding offence, any questions you have should be answered below.

Q. I did not see any speed limit signs. How would I have known what speed limit was applicable?

The most likely answer is that you were in a 30 mph zone. These are usually signified by the presence of street lighting, lit or unlit, in a built up area as described in the Highway Code.

The only legal speed limit signs that can be used are found at the beginning of the area. The law does not allow the Highways Authorities to erect "repeater" signs where there are street lights.

Bedfordshire Police website: http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/advice_centre/casualty_reduction_partnership/frequently_asked_questions.aspx

Welsh Government: http://www.gosafe.org/en/content/cms/faqs/caught-speeding/

I didn't see any repeater signs indicating a 30mph limit.

This excuse will not be accepted. As stated in the Highway Code, roads with street lighting in the UK are subject to a 30mph limit unless there are signs indicating a higher or lower limit. Viewwww.streetlightsmean30.co.uk

Where were the camera signs? I didn't see them.

Safety camera signs may be displayed on routes leading to sites where cameras operate. This is not a legal requirement to sign our sites with camera graphics. Please note that the absence of a camera sign does not invalidate an offence.

Suradit

No matter how much the English like to believe their country is important and a world leading country it is not. So just finding some proof about the UK does not stand for much, besides that i bet there are far more speed signs there as here.

In the Netherlands you see speed signs there where speeds change from the previous speed, where you enter a village ect or where you exist it. I have seen the same in other countries. Here there are not many speed signs and I have made quite a few kms in this country.

I would not call this Thai bashing but just stating the facts. Even if you know what speed you can go into a town or outside you still need a sign that tells you what is the town limit. Your UK example gave an other indication of how to know how fast to go. In Thailand your never sure if your already out of the town or not.

• Like 1

A tourist island, with hundreds of non-locals hiring vehicles every day, and it's not necessary to put up speed limit signs?

These people got their licenses in many other parts of the world where speed limits, no doubt, vary.

Edit: I guess the tourists are not going to worry about speeding tickets anyway. Who's going to pay, the owners? laugh.png

The renters will pay. I received a speeding ticket in the mail from Sydney after a recent trip, along with instructions on how to pay online, as well as a $75 "handling fee" tacked on by the rental car company (automatically charged to my credit card). The owners of the rental cars won't mind.

Edited by sstuff3