Speed cameras operational, but signs non-existent

webfact

I was pulled over for speeding recently, but they ( the traffic police) couldn't tell me what speed I was actually doing. So I asked what the limit was. 120kph on expressways and 110 kph on country roads. So even the BiB don't know the limits. TiT.

300baht on the spot fine. Worth it !

I was stopped recently on highway 7 Bangkok , bib wanted 500 for speeding , I was doing 90 where max was 120 but he didn't have a clue what my speed was as he was stood at roadside with no camera !

I politely refused to pay and told him I was not speeding so he said why was I in lane 3 ( of 4 ) so I said because I was overtaking , he then told my Thai wife I have to pay money because I should overtake on inside lane !

After about 5 minutes of my smiling and polite refusal to pay he sent me on my way and told my wife I need to learn Thai driving rules !

• Like 1

I was pulled over for speeding recently, but they ( the traffic police) couldn't tell me what speed I was actually doing. So I asked what the limit was. 120kph on expressways and 110 kph on country roads. So even the BiB don't know the limits. TiT.

300baht on the spot fine. Worth it !

300? You were diddled - it's 200 round Pattaya - less if you argue.

everyone gets diddled, THATS why they go to Pattaya!

• Like 1

I might go and rent a car for the weekend to see if I can get all 4 in 1 day

When you sign the rental agreement you will now see all speeding fines are your responsibility

thats why a credit card will now be needed for deposits

Do you understand what satire is?

Thats why, some people, smiled when they read my comment..........

It seems pretty obvious to me... the goal is not to enforce the speed limit since they are not posted. Rather, it is just another money making scheme by the BIB and their little cameras.

No, can't be, thailand is not yet a developed country.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Suradit69, on 28 Dec 2013 - 16:36, said:
SneekyPete, on 28 Dec 2013 - 12:07, said:

“We don’t have any plans to put up speed limit signs because we assume people already know what the limits are,” said Lt Col Rungrit Rattanapagdee of the Phuket City Traffic Police Police.

That is, at least, a naive statement. In countries where driver education is much more rigourous and licences are issued more strictly, speed limit signs abound. Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! This is a representative of the city's traffic police? It all starts and ends with education.

"speed limit signs abound. Why?"

Because some people in those countries are dim witted?

Maybe we need to erect signs that say: Don't jump off balconies. Don't overstay your permission-to-stay. Don't apply for an ED visa if you don't want to study. Ignorance of the law is no defense.

Or even: Don't get drunk and start fights. Don't kill people. Don't take things that don't belong to you.

"Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! "

Dim witted, a bit like your comment. Can anyone, with any brains, really say it is safe to drive at 80kph through Phuket city, also, where are the city limits. As for 90kph along the bypass road, really, in what other country would you be doing that in a built up area, sheer stupidity.

• Like 1

“We don’t have any plans to put up speed limit signs because we assume people already know what the limits are,” said Lt Col Rungrit Rattanapagdee of the Phuket City Traffic Police Police.

That is, at least, a naive statement. In countries where driver education is much more rigourous and licences are issued more strictly, speed limit signs abound. Why? People simply need to know. Sheesh! This is a representative of the city's traffic police? It all starts and ends with education.

However, just over the Sapan Hin bridge up through Phang Nga, there are speed limit signs a plenty. Planet Phuket dry.png

BTW, the driving test on Phuket is, contrary to popular opinion, really quite rigorous (except for no inclusion as to how to navigate a traffic circle, at all). Hence the mess at Chalong, in particular.

• Like 1

Thank goodness the Harley only has a number plate at the rear (as have all bikes) if the camera only gets on coming traffic that will suit me.

But seriously how do they think they will get Thais to pay? What happens if you just don't pay it? Will there be a 2 tier system or will we all be paying the same amount? TOO many questions.....

Thank goodness the Harley only has a number plate at the rear (as have all bikes) if the camera only gets on coming traffic that will suit me.

But seriously how do they think they will get Thais to pay? What happens if you just don't pay it? Will there be a 2 tier system or will we all be paying the same amount? TOO many questions.....

Which is worldwide the same. So no worries, I'm sure you will be captured on photo shortly.

I presume that there will be a registration of payments, and non-payment will lead to not being able to renew the yearly vehicle registration.

Which is worldwide the same. So no worries, I'm sure you will be captured on photo shortly.

I presume that there will be a registration of payments, and non-payment will lead to not being able to renew the yearly vehicle registration.

In Australia, red light cameras at least get you going in and coming out.

• Like 1

My brother in law, the cop, told me that the speed limit in Thailand is 120KPH. And I have a license. Clearly, this guy in Phuket doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your brother in law is correct the maximum speed is 120 kpm - on the inter city dual carriageways (freeways/motorways) but not within city areas, then 90 kph. Normal roads 90 kph intercity and 60 kph in city areas.

Actually the speed signs (yes there are some around usual when the road enters a regional boundary) are quite complex to read. Give speed limits to cars, differnet sort of trucks, and motor bikes. Quite confusing.

For me 60 in town is more likely than 80 in town! Can someone clarify the article from the Gazette is correct?

If you thought Thailand doesn't have traffic laws-

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/thai-laws/laws-of-thailand/159-land-traffic-act-be-2522-1979.html

Many things are mentioned but I seemed to have missed any reference to what the normal speed limits are.

Can't help wondering anybody in Thailand knows these laws exist?

To know what laws there are in Thailand, check your bank account.

The applicable speed limit is easily found inside your wallet whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

“You can’t get a driver’s license without knowing that the limit within a city is 80kmh and outside of a city, 90kmh…

I did shock1.gif

Me too

If enough people claim that they will stop with issuing Thai DL's based on existing DL's from abroad.

• 2 weeks later...

speeding cameras are made for raise money, less for safe traffic.

All the shit they have in europe and the rest of the western world with greedy gouverments

and local goverments want only money.

In europe and the usa they make rediculous speed limits in order to keep the cash flow]

comming in.

Is that what we want here in Thailand, well i hate speeding camera s.

Driving 900 km with a speed of 90 where can do more as that safely, is against my natural feeling of justice and

being logical

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A few more signs have appeared.

One that got my attention was the one immediately North of the Isuzu show room and service center in Ko Kaeo (Between the bypass Rd and Heroines Roundabout). They have placed a 1 by 2 metre rectangular sign right at typical driver eye level on the south side of the joining Soi - perfectly obscuring the view of the oncoming northbound traffic if trying exit from there and join the main thoroughfare. If they had moved the sign to the other side of the road, (30 meters North) not only would it cease to be an obstruction, the drivers exiting the Soi would be able to see it too!