New Year Celebrations - Alternatives?

NanLaew

Apart from the gridlock and mayhem that will be Pattaya Beach Road, are there any other venues offering a bit more space and less traffic issues for a night out on New Years Eve? Thinking about a late dinner with my wife, beach side, fireworks and a few beers but no crowds of pissed up foreigners or local idiots making c*nts of themselves.

Jomtien? Further south maybe at Bang Saray? Further afield?

No forget it, I just came back from shopping in friendship market and the whole Pattaya area was filled with cars, mostly on Bangkok plates so they will be all over the place, including further south.

Bought two nice 450 grams steaks (for the grill) for my wife and myself, app. 1 baht per gram but what the heck it's only new year once a year so we gonna stay home in the garden and perhaps walk around later in the village and say happy new-year to people we know there.

And I can get drunk too and walk home, he-he.

• Like 1

I agree, the roads are already grid-locked with Bkk plates and as I'm close to Pattaya Klang that's what I go by. I'm not sure if they have things happening at Lake Maprachan or down around Golden Buddha Mountain?

If any of you folk living in those areas know about it please tell.

I've seen enough fireworks to last me 3 lifetimes and I feel like I want to stay home but at the same time do like to get into the spirit of it however like the OP says, I don't want all the havock of Balihi or WS, or Beach Rd.

Yes, one can write-off Sukhumvit tomorrow night and there will be a fair few breathalyzer stops too I imagine. Maybe all the way down to Rayong if push comes to shove.

I never thought about Mabprachan. I am just about 5 minutes from the pointy end of that. maybe I will take a tootle out there tomorrow morning and see what some of the bar keeps, restaurants and small hotels have on offer.

Yes, one can write-off Sukhumvit tomorrow night and there will be a fair few breathalyzer stops too I imagine. Maybe all the way down to Rayong if push comes to shove.

I never thought about Mabprachan. I am just about 5 minutes from the pointy end of that. maybe I will take a tootle out there tomorrow morning and see what some of the bar keeps, restaurants and small hotels have on offer.

Really NanLeaw?

I can't imagine the cops having the time or the inclination as whatever about the farangs having a jar the locals will be going at it full pelt & the cells would be full in no time leaving the streets unmanned.

Police leave is usually cancelled on such occasion & maybe even a dry run (no pun intended) for the election in just over a month

Really NanLeaw?

I can't imagine the cops having the time or the inclination as whatever about the farangs having a jar the locals will be going at it full pelt & the cells would be full in no time leaving the streets unmanned.

Police leave is usually cancelled on such occasion & maybe even a dry run (no pun intended) for the election in just over a month

Even if there is only the one breathalyzer stop, it will still be one too many if one has had one too many.

Let us know what you find out please.

Had breakfast at Outback (golfers hangout on SSCC) and then drove around the lake. Plenty places out there but no specific references to New Year festivities. Did see quite a few locals setting up their fishing poles and picnic spots on the shores so, once Mrs NL get's her act together, we are going fishing. Personally, I have no patience for Isaan-style fishing (hours of inaction with maybe a couple of sprats to show for it) but she loves it. I do like the peace and quiet.... and the eski with cold beer in it. And it's only 10 minutes from the house too.

I had the idea yesterday of just going up to the lake and the missus was in agreement (for a change)

Not getting up there before 10 - 10.30 though as I don't think it's gonna be that exciting, a few beers, watch the fireworks then home. Never been a fan of NYE anyhow, far too false for me...