Thai doctors selling medicine

catweazle08

So i talked to karen (she´s living here in thailand for 20 years) about doctors selling medicine.

she said: thai-doctors make a profit selling you medicine and they give you more medicine then you need to make more profit.

so i talked to a scottish doctor in haad rin about this.

he said: no, it´s not fair to bash all thai doctors. there are a few, who might sell u too much, but most of them don´t do this. they run a honest business.

what´s your opinion on this? or even better: what´s the truth?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why I will continue to bring my sons to the children's hospital in Bangkok I just can not trust any of the doctors in the private hospitals for them.

For myself there is one foreign doctor who is very reliable in Bangkok and if I have any issues I will always go to him

It's simply a business, i believe a lot of doctors have/run pharmacies as well, nice sideline,

Most Thais expect to get several medicines - one medicine, doctor no good.

Too true. I have never met a Thai yet who was unhappy at a handful of pills. Met some who have been unhappy with few or no pills though.

• Like 1

They make money on the meds they sell, so it can be a nice little earner. I have seen some down right awful prescribing here in Thailand. There are some good doctors around though, and in Bangkok Dr Donna is a good GP.

The truth is if it's antibiotic, they generally give you enough supply to last 5-10 days. If antibiotic is related to infective diarrhea, then usually no longer than 3 days. If the medication is related to hypertension or diabetes, then they give you at least 30 days or until your next follow up which could be 60, 90 or more.

Selling medicine in a clinic has been they way doctor and patients interact in Thailand for the last 200 years. Traditionally in the east, doctors are expected to diagnose and provide treatment in the same location. This tradition has evolved in the way that results in what you experience now in a clinic. There is no doctor fee but you are opt to pay the price of all given medicines. And patients generally agree to buy all medicines doctors are giving to them because they hope the diagnosis is correct and medication would work. If it doesn't work, doctors lose business as they would go somewhere else. It's simply economic 101 at work.

If you think otherwise, I suggest you come and stay on any Thai OPD for a week or two. Most patients consistently ask for more medications. That also goes for any OPD in any private hospital or clinic.

• Like 1

I took my wife to a thai doctor for a general checkup.

That included a blood test.

As a result of that blood test, we were advised that my wife has a shortage of calcium, osteoporosis.

The doctor sold us medicine to cure the problem.

Later we went to my doctor in Belgium, and asked for a prescription of a similar medicin, and told him why.

The belgian doctor then informed us that osteoroposis CAN NOT BE ESTABLISHED through a blood test.

Never again will I trust a medecin selling doctor.

• Like 1

As a result of that blood test, we were advised that my wife has a shortage of calcium, osteoporosis.

Later we went to my doctor in Belgium, and asked for a prescription of a similar medicin, and told him why.

The belgian doctor then informed us that osteoroposis CAN NOT BE ESTABLISHED through a blood test.

About 54% of postmenopausal white women in the United States have osteopenia and 30% have osteoporosis. If your wife is in that age range, he doesn't need a blood test and he'll be half right.

In order to establish the diagnosis of osteoporosis or osteopenia, one would need to undergo bone desitometry aka DEXA. If the general check up includes that test, then your wife is likely to have osteoporosis.

If you are certain that your wife have low blood calcium, then doctor will need to order a whole lot more tests in order to establish the cause of hypocalcemia. Most foreigners will be ask if they want to find the cause at home or in Thailand.

If there is a lot of language barrier, most doctor will say low calcium. Take calcium pill now and do more tests at home.

• Like 1

About 54% of postmenopausal white women in the United States have osteopenia and 30% have osteoporosis. If your wife is in that age range, he doesn't need a blood test and he'll be half right.

In order to establish the diagnosis of osteoporosis or osteopenia, one would need to undergo bone desitometry aka DEXA. If the general check up includes that test, then your wife is likely to have osteoporosis.

If you are certain that your wife have low blood calcium, then doctor will need to order a whole lot more tests in order to establish the cause of hypocalcemia. Most foreigners will be ask if they want to find the cause at home or in Thailand.

If there is a lot of language barrier, most doctor will say low calcium. Take calcium pill now and do more tests at home.

Indeed, that is what the belgian doctor (the real doctor) told us, only a bone densitometry can establish the osteoporosis - and it was not included in the check up.

Unfortunately, there was a waiting list in belgium, so that will be for our next trip to europe.

And no, I am not certain that the wife has osteoporosis, no bones ever broken, I have only the word of a Kwak (as we call such doctors at home).

Possibly the blood was never analysed too.

Thank you for your answer!

It's simply a business, i believe a lot of doctors have/run pharmacies as well, nice sideline,

Most Thais expect to get several medicines - one medicine, doctor no good.

Too true. I have never met a Thai yet who was unhappy at a handful of pills. Met some who have been unhappy with few or no pills though.

...and injection, even better!

Have been seeing Thai doctors for more than a decade, mostly at military hospitals, since the wait is so long to get the medication at the hospital, I get a subscription and have it filled at my usual drugstore. Since Thailand has socialized medicine, you do not need a subscription to buy most medications, you can tell the pharmacists whats wrong and they will give you what they think will help you, just like pharmacists used to do in the states, in the 1940's.

In the village we go to the clinic the doctor gives you a prescription and we have it filled at the village pharmacy, Maybe because I rarely visit private doctors, I have not run into doctors, that sell medication!

Cheers

• Like 1

Have been seeing Thai doctors for more than a decade, mostly at military hospitals, since the wait is so long to get the medication at the hospital, I get a subscription and have it filled at my usual drugstore. Since Thailand has socialized medicine, you do not need a subscription to buy most medications, you can tell the pharmacists whats wrong and they will give you what they think will help you, just like pharmacists used to do in the states, in the 1940's.

In the village we go to the clinic the doctor gives you a prescription and we have it filled at the village pharmacy, Maybe because I rarely visit private doctors, I have not run into doctors, that sell medication!

Cheers

Kikko are people from the Thai government paying you to promote their country or what ?i know a few Thai people in my country who would fall laughing on the ground after reading this post whas meds or magic mushrooms given to you by the local village kwak ?yeah the 1940 ........
  • Like 1

Cheers

Kikko are people from the Thai government paying you to promote their country or what ?i know a few Thai people in my country who would fall laughing on the ground after reading this post whas meds or magic mushrooms given to you by the local village kwak ?yeah the 1940 ........

It is quite evident, you just do not like hearing the truth, There are so many miserable farangs in this country, that dislike everything about Thailand, or anyone that has a great life here. Maybe they should stop being so negative, their perception of a less miserable existence will, improve their stay in Thailand!

I know in the morning I will wake up to another beautiful day in a country I love, I hate to think what you will wake up to!

Obviously you never lived in the states in the 1940's, I did!

How old are you? I and none of my parents lived in the states in th 1940ties but my grandfather died in 2009 but was born in 1923 and spent most of his teenage life doing forced labour in nazi germany during the war, you must be super man .Did you also helped to build the bridge over the river kwai? Edited by Kudel

I go to a local Thai Doctor I like him.My Mrs went with me one day and she was sitting a fair way from him and he looked across said to her what is the scar did you have an operation on your heart.The surgeons had take a lot of a care not to scar her and I cannot see the scar but he picked it up in a flash,I liked him a lot more after that.The main thing I like about him sure he dishes those drugs out those like candy charges me $10 to see him and about another $5 for the medicine,.but he fixes you up he, makes you better.

• Like 1

I don't know for sure but on the 3 occasions I've visited a Thai doctor I have left his surgery with such an array of pills I've been virtually rattling as I walked out the door. By the way, I'm in my late 20's, in good health, exercise regularly and eat well.

Rather than trying to treat the actual problem, they seem to give you a pill here for everything that it your symptoms might be - a kind of cover all bases approach. Maybe it's just the doc I've visited and isn't the same elsewhere??

• Like 1

Took my wife to see a doc here in Australia, she was not happy he only gave her a course of antibiotics and some cough medicine and sent her on her way. Not enough medicine she says. Well what else can he give you? More medicine and injection like Thailand. Not happy again when my daughter got that same cold and gave her nothing cause she's under 2 except some kids panadol.

So now Australian doctors don't care in her eyes.

I'm sure some doctors do sell medicine, but as they don't generally get western type salaries it helps their incomes. But the far more concerning issue is the large pharmaceutical companies that give doctors huge incentives to sell THEIR own brands, either in cash or overseas trips to 'conferences'. Some doctors in Oz I know refuse to be bribed anymore. But Thai doctors are not that ready to refuse.

• Like 1

It could be understandable why a Thai doctor load you with 5-6 kind of medicine, but what I don't

understand and accept is that you're completely oblivious to the fact that he has prescribed you

said medicine, you discover that fact when you go to pay the bill and find out you also have

shit load of medicine to pick and pay for which the doc didn't tell you any thing about it..

and mind you, those meds from the hospital, they're about 3 time the price you'd pay in any

street front pharmacy....

• Like 2

And this is why I will continue to bring my sons to the children's hospital in Bangkok I just can not trust any of the doctors in the private hospitals for them.

For myself there is one foreign doctor who is very reliable in Bangkok and if I have any issues I will always go to him

I agree. My son is currently in the Queen Sirikit Institute for Children's Health hospital. I'm really impressed by the doctors and medical staff there. The children's hospital he goes for his wheelchair, walkers, and special boots is also really good.

On recommendation, we tried a local private hospital. Expensive, but nice facilities, like a hotel. The senior doctor misdiagnosed him and wanted to operate. Luckily he bottled out of the op and suggested we move him to QSICH. The doctors there were not impressed with the diagnosis nor the lack of adherence to transfer procedure.

One question - I thought only Thai doctors could practice medicine in Thailand?

• Like 1

Took my wife to see a doc here in Australia, she was not happy he only gave her a course of antibiotics and some cough medicine and sent her on her way. Not enough medicine she says. Well what else can he give you? More medicine and injection like Thailand. Not happy again when my daughter got that same cold and gave her nothing cause she's under 2 except some kids panadol.

So now Australian doctors don't care in her eyes.

Your lucky mate. Getting antibiotics out of a UK GP, or any prescription medicine is like getting blood out of a stone. I haven't been back for several years but remember going twice with really bad flu. First time was - "your over the worst, keep resting and taking fluids", the second was the same but added " we don't like prescribing antibiotics because there bad for tummies". Broke, inefficient, highly variable quality and reliant on immigrants - NHS.

In India, Middle East and Thailand, medicines and drugs are used much more effectively than in the UK, IME.

• Like 1

Providers selling the drugs they prescribe for a profit, is clearly a conflict of interests.

Their interest is to be in your health and well-being, not their pocketbook.

You could make an argument for a provider selling the medicines at cost, if no other access to the medicines is available locally.

Local pharmacy kickbacks and pharma company junkets also constitute a breach of ethics.

F1

• Like 1

That is correct, blood tests to not outline osteoporosis, it has to be done via "bone scan" and scans show bone density if any, but over age 50 bone density does slightly or heavily occur and shows osteoporosis which is chiefly due to lack of calcium,

Not all medications subscribed by doctors are perfect, many have heavy side effects and must be changed in order to avoid other body problems.

Drugs are generally a problem by creating side effects, one should therefore prior to drugs try and take nutritious vitamins known to support the appropriate body problems, and in addition one should take exercises at least three per week in order to create general body health activities.

I've been going to Bumrundgrad since the 90's. Even when I lived in the US, I always go to BKK for medical things. I had 2 operations at BKK as well.

My experience has been better there than any hospital in the US. They go a little overboard with the meds, but if you remain proactive with your care, you can avoid 50% of what they prescribe for you.

Now I live in China, and still I come to BKK for all medical things .

One question - I thought only Thai doctors could practice medicine in Thailand?

Not quite strictly true - they have to have passed the Tha Medical License exams, which means doing the exams in Thai. There are a handful of Western Doctors who have done this. There are also a number of "consultants" who work in some of the private hospitals.