Eusebio: Portugal football legend dies aged 71

Lite Beer

Eusebio: Portugal football legend dies aged 71

Portugal football legend Eusebio, who was top scorer at the 1966 World Cup, has died at the age of 71.

Born in Mozambique in 1942 when it was still a Portuguese colony, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira went on to play 64 times for Portugal, scoring 41 goals.

The Benfica striker's nine goals at the 1966 World Cup in England included four against North Korea.

Widely considered one of the best players of all-time, he scored 733 times in 745 professional matches.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25611509#TWEET1003618

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-01-05

Saw him score 2 against Brazil at Woodison when I was a kid. Old <deleted> will remember the semi circles behind the goals to stop stuff being thrown onto the pitch! One of the greats....

RIP The Black Pearl

I saw him playing for Benfica at Parkhead against Celtic in the European Cup in November 1969. He had a quiet game and Celtic won 3-0.

Always seem to turn up to support Benfica and Portugal after he retired. Not only a wonderful player but also seems to have been a wonderful human being.

Really a little bit before my time, but what I did see on old recordings he was a wonderful footballer. Certainly one of the all time greats. That North Korea game in 66, wow.

Football has lost a great today.

I saw him playing for Benfica at Parkhead against Celtic in the European Cup in November 1969. He had a quiet game and Celtic won 3-0.

Always seem to turn up to support Benfica and Portugal after he retired. Not only a wonderful player but also seems to have been a wonderful human being.

He played for Benfica at the Baseball Ground in a European Cup match in 1972, Rams won 3-0. I remember he 'stung the fingers' of Colin Boulton, the Derby goalkeeper with a couple of shots during the game. Another good guy 'bites the dust'.

Yes, one of the greatest players of his time and maybe all time.

I was at the 1966 games between Portugal & Brazil and also the N Korean game. The latter was a cracking good football match, Portugal down 3-0 at half time won 5-3.

The Brazil game wasn't played in good spirit as Pele was targeted and injured.

Rest in peace Eusebio.

I was at the 1966 games between Portugal & Brazil and also the N Korean game. The latter was a cracking good football match, Portugal down 3-0 at half time won 5-3.

Rest in peace Eusebio.

Sure Eusebio scored a couple in the 1st half against the Koreans?

Rest in peace Eusebio.

Sure Eusebio scored a couple in the 1st half against the Koreans?

You are correct. Eusebio had pulled it back to 3-2 by HT after Portugal were 3-0 down at one stage in the first half.