Some of us go to extremes to eat what we miss from far away...

quiuvo

I go to food land. Not enough. Some people here told me they cook it themselves, like tortillas. Man please don't let me get to that point.

Example, pozole, where can I find it? We are from different countries. What is your local food you miss and wish it was here not expensive of course. And what is the name of the restaurant that satisfies you! ,

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ate mexican in Ricky's restaurant last week, (it is close to Kao sarn road at the road behind the hotels at the riverside next to the pier) and it was pretty good.

I miss a decent beefsteak and allready gave up on that. Good pie is at Secret Recipe, they are in many malls in BKK, much better then all the rest of the bakery's.

Good doner kebab or shoarma is what i miss, i can make it myself but is much work. BBQ is also what i miss but i make my own. Actually i make everything myself if i really want to have it.

Thai are not good in preparing meat-dishes, also i miss fish-fillets, the deepfried seabass is nice but full of bones and skin. A good fresh codd-fillet is what i would love to eat. Sushi is nice here though.

Due to the in average poor quality of restaurant food in Thailand I cook almost everything myself....problem fixed.

(I know in downtown, tourist places and in the south the average restaurant quality is excellent, but being a bit outside in Bangkok, it is mostly the cheapest meat, monosodium glutamat, sugar and the cheapest rice. If it is a better restaurant it is decorated better).

Farang food has nothing to do with the real thing....

went to a little pizza place near the night boats in Surat Thani yesterday for lunch after being told they did some nice food(foreign) and it was great. Their menu is pretty good with a bit of a mix(mexican /italian) and I ordered bruschetta, nachos and baked potato with tuna and cheese(was tempted to try the burritos, enchiladas etc too) and all were great and tasted pretty good, good size serves as well and it was reasonably priced. Saw a few pizzas come out of ther oven and they also looked good along with a great looking hamburger. I will definitely be going back for more in the future but still miss my basic fish and chip shop tucker, dim sims(fried and steamed), battered saves, battered hamburgers and a good piece of fish(no bones in batter and from clean ocean water), unfortunately the seafood in Thailand is pretty hopeless after eating the seafood in Australia, even when we buy fish ourselves it is not really healthy(grey gills, meat tastes awful), and the prawns are tasteless, need to be cooked in saltwater then put into a salt brine to chill them, why they insist in cooking in their tap water without salt I have no idea.

I miss flipper pie, I still can't find it anywhere in BKK.

Brings back memories from my childhood, not missing hardtack though. My Grandfather was from NFLD. Here's a recipie in case you manage to find some seal:

2 lb. (1 kg) seal meat

Water

2 tbsp. (25 mL) vinegar

3 slices fat-back pork

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

1 onion, sliced

1 large carrot, sliced

1 turnip, cubed

2 tbsp. (25 mL) screech

3 cups ( 750 mL) water

Flour

Pastry:

1 cup (250 mL) flour

1-1/2 tsp. (7 mL) baking powder

1 tbsp. (15 mL) margarine or butter

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup (125 mL) water

Preparation:

Place meat in a bowl and add water and vinegar to cover. Let sit for 1 hour; remove meat and dry well. Fry meat in fat-back pork, turning until browned on both sides. Add salt, pepper and onion. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Place carrot and turnip around meat. Add screech and 3 cups (750 mL) water. Cover and bake at 300F (150C) for 1 hour, adding mixture of flour and water to thicken if desired. Meanwhile, prepare pastry. Blend together flour, baking powder, and margarine. Stir in beaten egg and ½ cup (125 mL) water. Roll until ½ inch (1 cm) thick. Cover stew with pastry and bake for another 15 minutes.

Almost identical except our recipe called for a bottle of screech :) for the chef of course.

Save your time writing, the OP is a major troll...look at the "content" section of his profile, he just starts one bizarre, contentious thread after another.

What's your problem? Quivo asks a bunch of questions and gets lots of respondents. If you don't like them, don't read them.

Homemade tortillas right up my alley, My wife makes great home made flour tortillas daily, Corn tortillas are a completely different matter, much more work.

We imported giant Mexican corn kernels purchased at the market in Tucson Az, planted them here in LOS, and this morning packaged them for storage, next we will have to nixtamalize the corn, with "cal", after taking off the covering of the kernels we will grind it for corn tortillas and the whole nixtamal to make menudo and posole. We make large portions, the extra are placed in individual serving size zip lock bags and put them in the freezer and I can eat them when I have the hunger for it.

I buy about 40 pounds of dry pinto beans on my yearly visit to Bangkok (Food land or Villas) and cure and smoke my own ham hocks and have homemade beans on hand 24/7. I also have growing in my garden tomatillo, that is growing well, along with my large tomatoes.

As a result I believe we have the best homemade Mexican food in Thailand, It is not so much work but more a labor of Love!

Cheers

Sounds great, when's dinner?

• Like 1

I married a woman who I knew could cook what I missed. She worked in a 'farang food' restaurant

Absolutely great. A good woman, like a good man, has to have many skills. If you can only do one thing, you'll be replaced by someone who can do two.

Save your time writing, the OP is a major troll...look at the "content" section of his profile, he just starts one bizarre, contentious thread after another.

What's your problem? Quivo asks a bunch of questions and gets lots of respondents. If you don't like them, don't read them.

I feel honored to get such support. I just want to be happy here in LOS. Nothing bad in asking questions to get me on the right track. I miss many foods California offers. Yes, Thai food is great but... I miss things.

• Like 1

I go to food land. Not enough. Some people here told me they cook it themselves, like tortillas. Man please don't let me get to that point.

Example, pozole, where can I find it? We are from different countries. What is your local food you miss and wish it was here not expensive of course. And what is the name of the restaurant that satisfies you! ,

Not everyone loves to coom from scratch, but try it once. The taste and satiafaction - sense of accomplishment - really is addictive.

• Like 2

Yes we can all cook our favorite foods as I do. But what about foods like winkles and cockles,although you can bye them here, they have not got the texture and taste as my country England. We had them every Sunday for tea when I was a boy and I carried on having them most of my life until I came to Thailand 13 years ago. I would give almost anything for a pint of winkles. .