Diplomat: India withdraws privileges for US embassy

webfact

I don't know all the details of this case, but personally I think the U.S. government should have pursued a more "diplomatic" behind the scenes solution to the offending Indian diplomat, regardless of her actions. The relationship with India is too important. Was all this worth it?

JT, you should know by now that's not the way things work anymore. No, this lady was held in custody at the airport, was strip searched and had a cavity search performed on her. The charge is visa fraud for falsifying stated wages of maids in her employment. For this, she has someone shine a light up her bum.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/us-indian-cultural-political-divide-revealed-by-diplomats-arrest/2014/01/07/121c701a-77c2-11e3-b1c5-739e63e9c9a7_story.html

Much like US customs recently seized and destroyed 11 hand-made, priceless flutes owned by a performer traveling into the US. Their excuse, the flutes were made of a plant matter on the banned list for importation, Bamboo.

Yeah, the Montana Freeman, everything is a conspiracy and the government is taking over and abusing poor innocent folks brigade has arrived. Yes, I am sure you are correct. She was singled out and they made up some trumped up charges on her just so they could humiliate her. My guess it was probably just as humiliating to them having to strip search this women when discharging their job duties per protocol.

Guess, what? This stuff never happens to me. Why? Because I don't break the law.

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is that this is not a diplomat. This is someone employed by the embassy who does not have diplomatic immunity and who has been charged with a crime. She was handled in the same manner as other people being charged and jailed would be handled.

I find it interesting that there is so much furor over the treatment of this lady and so little criticism of the maid who brought the charges.

I might also add that visa fraud is quite serious and as another poster noted, this gets pretty close to human trafficking.

I think you need to go back and re-read all the reports regarding this matter which has been raging now for over a month. She was not a normal employee as you put it, but the consul general. It is disputed whether she had full diplomatic immunity or not. In any case, the indian govt elevated her after the incident but the US would not accept retroactive dates. The indians pointed out many cases of US nationals such as that of Raymond Charles, a low level CIA contract operative who shot dead 2 pakistanis on a main road in broad daylight was subsequently given diplomatic status and whisked out of the country. In contrast, this is a civil matter AND there was dialogue ongoing between the 2 governments on this very matter for several months. The indian side was disputing the maid's accusations. The maid has been absconding from the consul generals house since june 2013. It was not that the diplomat was suddenly busted. The anger was over the fact that she was arrested like in a hollywood drama and handcuffed as she was dropping her children off at school and was subjected to "cavity searches" (digital rape as the indians called it) more than once, and then locked up with drug addicts and criminals as she kept protesting against such treatment. The husband of the maid in question was employed in the US embassy at Delhi, there is some conflict of interest there. And the whole arrest was spearheaded and widely publicised by the NY Federal Prosecutor Preet Bharara who has been a very high profile person and of indian origin. The indian press has been reporting that he has specifically been targeting high profile indians in the past to prove that he is 'whiter than the whites'. I have no sides to take in this issue, but there are a lot lot more facts to be considered before making an opinion. I personally feel that it should have been handled more tactfully and both nations are losers in this issue. But as the biggest democracy in the world goes into election mode within the next 6 months, no party or leader in india would want to compromise.

• Like 2

There needed to be significant evidence before charges were brought.

The Indian response is bizarre, Instead of addressing the charges the Indian government with public support refuses to deal with the allegations and instead has engaged in petty retaliatory actions. Is it any wonder there is such a significant problem with corruption and rape in that country?

Must be taking lessons from Thailand and its TIT for TAT tactics.....

"I have no knowledge of any previous such cases but on the evidence I have seen the circumstances are very indicative of the absurd entitlement Indian middle class expect.By this I mean it is beyond imagination that a similar lower level diplomat from say Japan,France,Russia,China, the UK or Canada would feel the neeed (or be able to afford) taking a personal servant on an international posting.My reaction is why doesn't this woman do her own cleaning, ironing, cooking like everybody else?"

Do you have any knowledge of India?

Domestic service is a massive source of employment there. Live in or visiting maids, housekeepers, cooks, gardeners, drivers etc. It's like Europe was 100 years ago,

Working, professional educated classes - from lower middle upwards, expect servants. One has to demonstrate one's position in a society that is still heavily caste and class based. Any lady like this would expect to not have to do household chores. Not just India - look throughout the Middle East and South East Asia and the use of maids and servants is very high. And in lots of cases, they don't get paid very much and not always treated very well.

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

india dosent need weapons from america,it has its own missiles which can reach europe forget china,

America is playing too many games and making too many enemies,look at americas debt,its shocking to see that the country hasn't turned like Somalia, Treat people with respect,no matter who they are,the fall of america is inevitable,its only a matter of time.then lets see who has the last laugh. Edited by Scott

"I have no knowledge of any previous such cases but on the evidence I have seen the circumstances are very indicative of the absurd entitlement Indian middle class expect.By this I mean it is beyond imagination that a similar lower level diplomat from say Japan,France,Russia,China, the UK or Canada would feel the neeed (or be able to afford) taking a personal servant on an international posting.My reaction is why doesn't this woman do her own cleaning, ironing, cooking like everybody else?"

Do you have any knowledge of India?

Domestic service is a massive source of employment there. Live in or visiting maids, housekeepers, cooks, gardeners, drivers etc. It's like Europe was 100 years ago,

Working, professional educated classes - from lower middle upwards, expect servants. One has to demonstrate one's position in a society that is still heavily caste and class based. Any lady like this would expect to not have to do household chores. Not just India - look throughout the Middle East and South East Asia and the use of maids and servants is very high. And in lots of cases, they don't get paid very much and not always treated very well.

I have long experience of India, and your remarks (all agreed) simply confirm my earlier comments. Whatever she was used to in India is however beside the point since she was working in New York.There is no reason why she should not have adapted to the norm there, as have millions of Americans with Indian heritage. There is nothing specifically cultural which requires someone else to do one's household chores. The class and caste system of India is in no way admirable.

• Like 1

*Deleted posts edited out*

Mate, the US will never sell ballistic missiles to anyone, the best they have done is given some Trident SLBMs to Britain which are housed in their strategic subs, besides they cant sell any rockets as they are signatories to the Missile Technology Control Regime. There is some military hardware being sold to India but most of it are assault rifles, cargo planes and howitzers.

Not to worry. The US is a strong supporter of India and India needs the US, not the other way around.

For instance the US is preparing to sell India rockets which will reach China with nuclear warheads - something India doesn't have now.

The US sell India some of its best military hardware. Right now they are in negotiations to sell India that new Boeing P-8A Poseidon long range submarine destroyer which is the latest and greatest at many things from sub destroying at long range to providing intelligence and being a communications center for all other hardware in the area. Link

This will blow over.

"For instance the US is preparing to sell India rockets which will reach China with nuclear warheads - something India doesn't have now."

If the US is selling military hardware to anyone it's because the US sees an advantage in doing so. At times this has been the case even with Iran or Iraq.

India does need to understand that it is not Israel however. The US Federal government will tolerate unending crap from Israeli politicians and still send them more aid than they give some US states for security, but the Indian Lobby is not running the US. That's the Israeli Lobby.

*Deleted post edited out*

India looks at most offers from US with suspicion anyways as they see them with attached threads, case in point, the US offering in their 15 billion dollar MMRCA aircraft deal were rejected pretty quickly in favor of the French.

Even then the Trident to the UK was just an extension of the Polaris Sales Agreement (from the 60s) where Polaris weapons system were put on British nuclear subs, and Britain made the war heads and nuclear subs (Resolution Class) that were sold / swapped back to the USA. Really it was all part of the Nassau Agreement (which was all about maintaining nuclear cover during the early cold war - Britain had access to the nuclear fuel, and could make war heads and subs, but had ordered the missile tubes, engines and firing system from the USA - the project was cancelled in the USA (it was a home system that the UK had also bought into - called Sky Bolt) so the agreement was made as the US failure to deliver crippled the UKs nuclear program). The agreement was extended to Trident as the USA updated the subs and the UK therefore needed to also (as they were both using the Lockhead tubes until that point - and they would be less available going forward) - under the same (almost) agreement.

The thing is that it was not new technology being given to a less technical country - it was technology both countries had (thanks to the Nazi V2 and V3 scientist caught after the war!); simple technology sharing (or more simply centralized manufacture) - Lockhead Martin has factories, labs and offices in the UK as well as the USA.

So, I totally agree with you - there is no way the USA would give that sort of technology to India - at "best" it would allow US bases to be built to house them, but not to give away such technology - it was thanks to the Russians doing that that both countries have Nuclear capability anyway (India / Pakistan).

Edited by Scott

I don't know all the details of this case

She wasn't a diplomat at the time of arrest, she was a consulate employee. Therefore no diplomatic immunity at the time of arrest.

India gave her diplomatic status after the arrest hoping to retroactively shield her from prosecution.

Yeah, that's an important detail.

Doesn't change my opinion that this wasn't worth it.

Prosecutors aren't legally obligated to pursue convictions on all cases, you know?

Probably didn't predict the blowback on this. Maybe they SHOULD have?

The down side is once a tactic such as this has been accepted, then there is a risk that is an accepted practice and possibly defensible for future violations.

My understanding of CAPs in posts denotes yelling. I could be wrong...you know? LOL.

Just my two-Bahts worth.

*Deleted Post edited out*

The fall of any country is no laughing matter IMO. The everyday, working people are usually the casualties, both economically and otherwise.

As far as debt, they (The USA) has plenty of company world-wide.

Edited by Scott

Much like US customs recently seized and destroyed 11 hand-made, priceless flutes owned by a performer traveling into the US. Their excuse, the flutes were made of a plant matter on the banned list for importation, Bamboo.

I read about this incident on a music forum. It was discussed by many of us who worry about traveling with guitars made from Brazilian Rosewood which is now a controlled substance similar to Ivory. Many of us worry because customs around the world including European nations and South American nations have seized instruments. Some are clearly old enough to predate the bans on use such as old violin bows (which can be worth up to $50,000). Or guitars made in the 1930s when brazilian rosewood was plentiful and furniture was constructed from it. A pre-war (WWII) Martin dreadnaught made of brazilian rosewood starts at over $15,000 and if it is mint rises quickly.

You can do research and find that Gibson (guitars) was sued and fined for illegal importation of the wood through a european intermediary. And good on them for doing it so we don't decimate the rain forests. And yes, Gibson was guity and knew what it was doing.

However, the incident with the flutes may or may not be true. According to interviews with customs officials there were no flutes destroyed. What was destroyed was raw bamboo cut to size but not drilled or finished in any way.

Finished bamboo is allowed. Had these been drilled as flutes and hollowed out they would have passed inspection. US Customs claims they were not in that condition.

Here is a link to an article. Of course we'll never know but one part I found interesting was the statement:

But the border agency told As It Happens that it "discovered fresh green bamboo canes approximately three to four feet long" in unclaimed baggage that belonged to Razgui. Fresh bamboo is prohibited from entering the U.S., the agency said.

Why was it unclaimed?

http://news.yahoo.com/musician-39-bamboo-flutes-destroyed-u-customs-024718344.html

I have also done some research out of curiosity about bamboo flutes to figure out his claim of "priceless". So far as I can tell the highest priced bamboo flute ever sold on ebay is $599. Far from priceless and that was for the finished product.

I get the feeling the truth is that this guy tried to sneak some raw material in to make his flutes and got cold feet in NY and left his luggage unclaimed. Or did't understand he had to take his luggage thru customs before onward travel. Which caused it to be inspected, which resulted in his raw bamboo being destroyed. Honestly, I see no reason why customs would destroy finished goods out of spite.

And don't get me wrong. I have heard scary tales of people with real musical instruments and I know I won't travel with several of my guitars due to fear of customs worldwide. So I am no apologist for Customs agencies. I just like to have the real story. And I think the real story is the flute maker is a liar.

Kick her out, discreetly, let the Indian government know why, and move on.

JT - Could not agree with you more. Based on everything I've read, it seems Govt of India could have discreetly whisked her away and kept the whole matter low key. But instead, they chose to make it into an international diplomatic fiasco, even invoking diplomatic immunity, when, as Deputy ConGen, she only has limited immunity. Once that happened, it was a matter of who blinked first. And the US Govt was not about to back down on its position on (the potential for) human trafficking. That would have been too big of a pill to swallow, especially on what now had become an international headline story.

India's response of being outraged was typical in many ways. Just read any local paper there and you will be amazed by the volume of low level bureaucrats and low-budget starlets that feel entitled to special treatment. Whether at a restaurant, going through airport security, etc (and the Pakistanis have learned from the Indians... just google "Foodie pilot delays PIA flight for sandwiches"). The assumption is that if you act like a big person, you get treated like a big person. Which then gives you bragging rights and bravado the next time.

So perhaps sticking to our guns (and yes... I grasp the irony of saying "American sticking to their guns"!!!) may have been the best way to re-set the expectations, even if that resulted in a short-term set back to the relationship.

JT, you should know by now that's not the way things work anymore. No, this lady was held in custody at the airport, was strip searched and had a cavity search performed on her. The charge is visa fraud for falsifying stated wages of maids in her employment. For this, she has someone shine a light up her bum.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/us-indian-cultural-political-divide-revealed-by-diplomats-arrest/2014/01/07/121c701a-77c2-11e3-b1c5-739e63e9c9a7_story.html

Not sure what your positions are on these two (unrelated?) topics.

Diplomat/Maid: "Falsifying stated wages" makes the offense sound like a minor financial crime. In reality, the concern is whether there is facilitation of human trafficking under the guise of diplomatic immunity. Having worked overseas in a diplomatic status (and having immunity), I was continually reminded that I was required to meet laws of both the host country AND of the US. So just because running over a police officer with my Ferrari may be ignored at the local level, I was not exempt from US laws. And that principle is implicit in the Vienna Convention to which most countries are signatory.

Flutes: Do you suggest that a country NOT exercise controls to prevent introduction of plant/animal/biological materials that may adversely impact its population? Australia is a sad example: An Englishman imported 24 wild rabbits into Australia in 1859. Within 10 years, it was reported that rabbits "had become so prevalent ... that two million could be shot or trapped annually without having any noticeable effect on the population." (Wikipedia) I doubt there will be a flute infestation. But the bamboo, if not properly checked for dangerous insects, could have devastating effects on US agriculture.

Edited by americaninbangkok

I don't know all the details of this case, but personally I think the U.S. government should have pursued a more "diplomatic" behind the scenes solution to the offending Indian diplomat, regardless of her actions. The relationship with India is too important. Was all this worth it?

Yeah, the Montana Freeman, everything is a conspiracy and the government is taking over and abusing poor innocent folks brigade has arrived. Yes, I am sure you are correct. She was singled out and they made up some trumped up charges on her just so they could humiliate her. My guess it was probably just as humiliating to them having to strip search this women when discharging their job duties per protocol.

Guess, what? This stuff never happens to me. Why? Because I don't break the law.

Whoosh!!!

Is anyone denying that she committed a crime? What is being contested is the treatment of the suspect. Or do you subscribe to the NDAA and that no one has any rights in the US anymore, whether they are foreign diplomats, dregs of the earth or citizen? Perhaps the next time you make an error on your tax returns, the IRS will shine a light up your bum too. That's the point, which obviously went right over your head.

As far as your Montana Freeman reference, I am neither from Montana nor a patriot. I just call BS when I see it. With Congress having a 15% approval rating and the POTUS hovering at 37%, there's lots to call BS on these days.

Edited by Loptr

Not sure what your positions are on these two (unrelated?) topics.

Diplomat/Maid: "Falsifying stated wages" makes the offense sound like a minor financial crime. In reality, the concern is whether there is facilitation of human trafficking under the guise of diplomatic immunity. Having worked overseas in a diplomatic status (and having immunity), I was continually reminded that I was required to meet laws of both the host country AND of the US. So just because running over a police officer with my Ferrari may be ignored at the local level, I was not exempt from US laws. And that principle is implicit in the Vienna Convention to which most countries are signatory.

Flutes: Do you suggest that a country NOT exercise controls to prevent introduction of plant/animal/biological materials that may adversely impact its population? Australia is a sad example: An Englishman imported 24 wild rabbits into Australia in 1859. Within 10 years, it was reported that rabbits "had become so prevalent ... that two million could be shot or trapped annually without having any noticeable effect on the population." (Wikipedia) I doubt there will be a flute infestation. But the bamboo, if not properly checked for dangerous insects, could have devastating effects on US agriculture.

Once again, no one is disputing the US position on whether fraud was committed on visa documents. What is contested is the treatment of the suspect.

On the flutes, there seems to be contradictory statements being made. The owner of the "flutes" claim they were completed musical instruments, while the customs authorities claim it was raw bamboo. Believe whichever you choose. I know which I believe. I am well aware of the problems that can happen when foreign animals / plants are brought into the country. A couple quick examples, Kudzu in the SE USA and the Snake Head Fish in Florida are but two...

Once again, no one is disputing the US position on whether fraud was committed on visa documents. What is contested is the treatment of the suspect.

On the flutes, there seems to be contradictory statements being made. The owner of the "flutes" claim they were completed musical instruments, while the customs authorities claim it was raw bamboo. Believe whichever you choose. I know which I believe. I am well aware of the problems that can happen when foreign animals / plants are brought into the country. A couple quick examples, Kudzu in the SE USA and the Snake Head Fish in Florida are but two...

The media had a big hand in how it portrayed the treatment of the diplomat. By repeatedly using phrases like "strip search" and "cavity search", it sounded like she was treated in an inconsistent manner. A more balanced description could reference that "she was processed in strict accordance with protocols for individuals taken into custody, including a thorough search to ensure she was not in possession of prohibited or dangerous items." But instead, they went with "violating her dignity"... frankly, some seriously sh*tty hypocrisy for a country which does not have an exemplary history of upholding a woman's dignity.

As for the snake head fish... we even got those up in Maryland and DC rivers too...scary stuff!

India and USA have been at odds ever since the Bombay bomdings.

Much harder since then for (USA) citizens to get visa's for India since then

to get my buissness visa for India now in Bangkok is a no go...

The indians told me I need to go to the Indian consulate closest to my Home state in USA to apply.

For me it means a trip to New York from Bangkok to just apply NO GAURENTEE what a load of bull.

In the end i aplied for a transit visa for India and it worked to hop on a ship and go out to sea.

This is all just affecting USA citizens as crewmate from other country's had no issues....

That's right you don't know all the details of this case, so why would you give your personal opinion on something you admit you know little about. The caste system is real in India despite it being revoked. India is a third world sewer with feces running in the streets.

The Indian response is bizarre, Instead of addressing the charges the Indian government with public support refuses to deal with the allegations and instead has engaged in petty retaliatory actions. Is it any wonder there is such a significant problem with corruption and rape in that country?

Not bizarre at all for India. I deal with the moronic indian bureaucracy on a daily basis. I have dealt with the Vietnamese and Thai systems in the past; the indians far surpass all when it comes to ignorant, face saving, childish, corrupt and just plain dumb behaviours.

I don't know all the details of this case

She wasn't a diplomat at the time of arrest, she was a consulate employee. Therefore no diplomatic immunity at the time of arrest.

India gave her diplomatic status after the arrest hoping to retroactively shield her from prosecution.

Yeah, that's an important detail.

Doesn't change my opinion that this wasn't worth it.

Prosecutors aren't legally obligated to pursue convictions on all cases, you know?

Probably didn't predict the blowback on this. Maybe they SHOULD have?

India is largely irrelevant to America so no big loss here.

Edited by canman

What evidence would be enough to make a naked full body search several times?

Seems to me that I read she was treated no differently than any other person brought in and charged. Body searches are a necessary evil these days and it is done to everyone.

That's right you don't know all the details of this case, so why would you give your personal opinion on something you admit you know little about. The caste system is real in India despite it being revoked. India is a third world sewer with feces running in the streets.

Don't apply for a diplomatic job, OK?

I think India is a very important country. They balance China in the region and they have nukes.

American can not afford to have very bad relations with India for very long and think it is also in the interests of India as well.

i dont know the details either, but i am tired of people getting away wiith anything and everything just because they have the title "diplomate"

She was not a diplomat and thus she was not accorded the treatment that a diplomat would be given -- at least one with diplomatic immunity. In spite of what she and much of India seem to think, she has no special status in the US and was treated pretty much the same way that any US citizen would be treated under similar circumstances.

Diplomats are accorded a different status and it is in our best interest to support that. These people are often in very dicey situations and they need a free pass to get out of a country. We expect that from other countries and in return our diplomats get it.

Occasionally it does cause problems, and countries can request that diplomatic immunity not be invoked.

But this lady doesn't fall in that category. She falls more in the category of a human trafficker of sorts.

The US might need to remind India that both slavery and indentured servitude are against the law.

Edited by Credo

Perhaps there is some kind of domestic political benefit to be gained in India by drumming up this conflict. I suspect it will pass. The India-USA relationship is just too important for both countries.

As far as the USA preaching to other countries on morality issues, that's fine within limits I suppose. I wish more countries would lecture the USA on things like the massive inequality (worse than Thailand) and the ridiculously high rates of incarceration especially among minority men. Wouldn't the USA preaching carry more weight coming form a country with MORE morality?

Edited by Jingthing