US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Bangkok?

Should us provincials be concerned enough to start hoarding as well?

Aren't such messages likely to start a panic ... like ATMs running dry?

I shouldn't worry , not yet, in 2010 the red shirt towns were firing shots at cars passing through their town, with suspected yellow shirt supporters, it hasn't escalated outside of BKK yet.

Bullocks

Weak sister yanks. Australia leads the world in quality of govt warnings...220 countries, 4,000 pages, 6 warning levels: all summarized to...nasty people out there; if something happens to you ,it's your own fault for going there

Aussie government and DFAT came in for a lot of critisism when it emerged they had prior warning of something very big happening in Bali but didn't issue any kind of advisory just before the first bombs went off there. Since then they have issued warnings for every possible situation, a lot of people think it's just to cover their backsides in the light of earlier silence which could have saved lives. At least this way nobody can say you didn't tell us.

• Like 1

on a more serious note, it would be very wise for people to check that they have sufficient medication, for anyone with a chronic condition

Odd, when he got up this morning my husband's first words to me were how much medication do you have for your back? Don't have to worry, bloody Lyrica is so expensive very few Thai's will be depleting stocks in a hurry. I have a couple of weeks supply and we're in Chiang Mai, but If things do start to go wrong on Monday, I'll buy a couple of month's supply. Just in case, you understand......

There a difference between being prudent and having a plan vs. being a "scaredy cat".

Embassy is just typical government weenies trying to look productive and helpful while really just covering their <deleted> by spoon-feeding info to the lowest common denominator out there.

Point is what, precisely? ?

Not ignoring your question, but think it's been covered adequately since.

It would have been good if the American Embassy would have sent this notice out sooner to give people more time to prepare. Issuing it on a Friday isn't that bright when the protests are only 2 days away and the weekend is starting. Also, many bank branches are closed on weekends, not allowing people perhaps enough time to make a withdrawal from the branch in the event they don't have an ATM card. Also, there is a higher chance supplies at certain hypermarts will already be dwindling by now.

The German Embassy was sensible enough to send something out on the 8th (Wednesday) giving you a couple more weekdays to prepare. The German Embassy was also good enough to advise you on making preparations.

Following is a translation of the letter sent out by the German Embassy. It was translated by Google translate, so excuse the imperfect English.

Dear compatriots,

Some opposition groups are planning on and after 13 January 2014 to achieve their political goals to obstruct the road in Bangkok on a large scale. Whether this is successful, how long these actions will last, and what consequences this will have for daily life in Bangkok is currently completely unknown. The plan is to obstruct traffic by demonstrations at the following points :

Urupong Intersection, Hua Lamphong train station , Silom Road, Phayathai Road, Victory Monument , Ladprao Intersection, Pratunam , Klongtoey, Ratchadamnoen Road, Chinatown , Charoenphon Intersection, Bangruk Intersection, Samyan Road, Ratchathavee Intersection, Siam Square, Din Daeng , Lumpini Park , Asoke Intersection, Petchaburi Road, Ratchaprasong Intersection. Although the practical effects are not predictable , I suggest you still some basic precautions :

- Stock up your vehicles on time and fill the gas tank.

- Lay down a cash reserve. No one knows if all ATM will be filled in the next week .

- Check your food stocks for sufficient rice, pasta or other durable food supplies.

- Make sure that your water supply (Sprinkle, etc.) is filled up.

- Backup a supply in advance with any much needed medications.

- Check the balance of your mobile phones and top them up if necessary (pre-paid).

- If you are planning travel through the airports Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang on 01.13.2014, plan in any case, a sufficient time for the arrival and departure to and from the airport. If you want to be absolutely sure, please consult the airlines before your trip, or place it on a slightly later date. There is also the possibility to take a room near the airport the night before in order to ensure making the departure the next day.

- Bypass, if possible, especially on 01/13/2014 driving your vehicle and use the public transport system instead.

Again, no one knows the duration and the impact of disabilities predicted. How I hope that everyday life is as soon as possible to go on as usual. Nevertheless, we should protect us all within the means through wise precaution against unnecessary bottlenecks. The Embassy is trying, especially with regard to the services that our German compatriots, to maintain a normal service operation to continue.

With best wishes,

Rolf Schulze

Ambassador

German Ambassador most have been partying with the American Embassy Staff. How else could they possibly know what is going on. As somebody already posted, a Risk Assessment based on the prying eyes and ears of the British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and the U.S., have access to information other Nations may not have.

I think these 'advices' from Embassies have come a little late myself. People were out panic buying a week ago in the North....and the trouble is nowhere near here so far ! Went into Big C and Makro today and the first had got on the bandwagon and lifted prices on many products by up to 15% since last week. Many empty shelves and the Mrs picked up the last two cartons of Coconut Milk as she remembers well the shortages suffered during the floods. Makro's prices were all unaltered but some empty shelving, and perhaps most surprisingly, as they have their own bakery, almost zero bread available.

Siege mentality seems to be the order of the day.

Makro in Roi-Et had shelves stacked to the ceiling today, short of absolutely nothing at all. Never seen it so well stocked. Normal level of trade too.

Did the usual annual stock up of long life stuff. Nothing unusual to report.

I've always found the supply of coconut milk to be a problem, strangely. Makro is always hit and miss with sliced bread too, especially wholemeal.

Just sayin' is all.

No differences at the stores in Udon, either. Business as usual, so far.

Pity for Bangkok, though. What a mess.

Yes, it really is sad. I can't stand even visiting cities let alone live in one (have lived in London, awful place). Can't imagine what it would be like under this sort of siege. Claustrophobic.

Just sitting on my front porch near the Udon Airport. Thai Air Force doing fly-overs for 3 days now.... I am counting about 6 Aircraft as they fly by. Looks like more preparations going on. Buses loaded with red shirts leaving tonight and tomorrow.

Pretty accurate info. The Red shirts are assembling near the Municipal Hall by Prajak Park only 4 blocks away. Heard loudspeakers all night.

during the last coup, was there a curfew, or limits on movement?

A sticky thread for those of us who haven't been through one before would be nice!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's good to know there are so many tough guys here, growing up with bombs falling around them running fearlessly into the fray.

And not giving a reminder to families and elderly tourists makes you tough too.

One of you tough guys should walk up to an American (hopefully me) and call him a pussy to his face.

Well, there's an intelligent reply.

18:47 --- the Chang beginning to take effect is it?

This thread was about the warning from the U.S. Embassy and whether it was fearmongering or not.

No, this thread was about the warning from the U.S. Embassy. A multitude of posters have, quite predictably, subsequently spinned it into a debate over one or more of the following: (a) whether the warning constitutes fearmongering or prudence (B) the degree to which American citizens and their government officials are cowards or are typically the ones who support dependent nations in times of need and conflict © why the US Embassy would issue a warning for other countries, those for which it's not responsible to (e) whether the US Embassy's warning should have appealed to those who actually lack common sense, such as with the warning issued by the Phillipine Embassy to not wear red or yellow shirts while in Bangkok, or to not have issued a warning at all (f) whether American citizens, and all others who are privy to the warning and are equally free to and capable of making an informed decision, can and would heed or ignore the warning (g) the extent to which an unknown future event will or won't escalate (h) and so on. Some of the inane, nationalistic assumptions and slurs I readily find on TV are nauseating and are deserving of retorts as from pumpuiman.

Soon we will learn who the dumbf--ks are that think everything is normal and just honky dory...and the more intelligent, who hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Has nothing to do with being afraid. It is more like preparing for spending a few weeks in the woods, should your vehicle get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Thank the powers that be for at least thinking.

It's all so scary, let them get on with it.

It will all be over in a few days.

I was in New York City on Sept 11, 2001. All roads into the city were blocked for several days after the event. Stores were sold out of essentials in 1 day. Most restaurants were closed because the employees couldn't get into town and neither could the supplies. Lines at the few restaurants that were open were sometimes 50-75 people long. We had to wait for hours just to get in and all they could do was provide a very limited menu. It was quite scary.

If these guys really do block a major part of the city, and it's done peacefully, supplies could be in very short supply for those in these areas.

A prudent message for those living in the center of this mess.

As for the America bashers, we don't need troll posts like this and they will be removed and warnings handed out. This is a matter not to be taken lightly.

wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

Don't see how this is an apt comparison. Events of 9/11 may, however, partly explain any American or others who were witness to and affected by the attacks who are overly cautious in Thailand now or in similar situations. Agree with the sentences about prudence and bashing though.

I made a desperate trip to Big C Rachada today as I needed to stock up on AA batteries for my remote controls as I anticipate spending a lot of time in front of my TV over the next few days. Imagine my surprise to find less than the usual number of (Thai) people you would normally expect to find on a Saturday. Shelves were fully stocked, nothing in short supply at all. There was a guy at the next aisle with a suspiciously large number of 1.5 litre bottles of aerated drinks. I suspect he might be throwing a children's party.

In case I run out of food, my plan of action would be to go downstairs with my whistle, wearing a T shirt of any colour other than red and help myself to the lunch boxes and water that they provide at all protest sites for the protesters. I may have to queue for about 10 minutes but at least I would be fed and watered. If the PDRC is going to disrupt my daily life, the least they could do is to give me some free food. I might even get to experience what hiso people eat.

• Like 1