I need guidance to set up Barbecue+Thai Food Outlet...

leo51

Hi Friends...

I recently traveled to Thailand and just fell in love with Thailand......(whats new there most would shrug?)... smile.png

I would be very interested in setting up a unique Barbecue (Central Asian Cuisine) +Thai Food outlet at Pattaya or Phuket or even Bangkok in Sukomvit / Pratunam Area.

I am looking for complete guidance and help. Would like to buy / rent an existing Business outlet by the beach side may be and then do the modifications as I want.

Problem is I have very sketchy understanding of how to go about it. sad.png

Somewhere I read as a foreigner, I can only own 49% maximum stake and have to find a Thai partner for 51%. Obviously it is not realistic as neither I know someone there nor would be comfortable with that kind of arrangement.

Can you guide me on how to go about the whole thing please?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Even if someone could put me in touch with a good consultancy firm at Thailand that could help me with all nitty-gritties associated with company formation, Visa, settling down in Thailand etc., it would be really great help!

Thanks again! wai.gif

There are very few legal ways to own 100% of business as a foreigner but there a few less legal ways to do it which are best talked through with a good lawyer as this is not the place to discuss breaking the business laws. Talk to a lawyer.

• Like 1

excellent advice given below. I would take the latter come & enjoy what it as to offer if you still need to work wait and come back later when you have retired & enjoy to the full. I believe every one I know says you will make a simple living witha business but never make your fortune in Thailand much different then the rest of the world..

Somewhere I read as a foreigner, I can only own 49% maximum stake and have to find a Thai partner for 51%. Obviously it is not realistic as neither I know someone there nor would be comfortable with that kind of arrangement.

Best advise anyone can give you is to slow down! Doing business in Thailand is not gong to be the same as your home country. Best that you come and live here for a minimum of six months to a year an get a better understanding of what you are in for. If you are uncomfortable with the 49%\51% ownership laws you are in for a many other surprises when it comes to biz ownership!!

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have you checked out the cost of beachside places or in those locations ?

Legally you can't own the business yourself or the land (without hefty minimum investment)

Most tourist place bars and restaurants are usually empty these days and it is going to get worse.

I don't think you can legally sell Thai food either as a foreigner. Without a Thai partner you have no way around that.

If you do it expect to regret it within 6 months.

• Like 1

excellent advice given below. I would take the latter come & enjoy what it as to offer if you still need to work wait and come back later when you have retired & enjoy to the full. I believe every one I know says you will make a simple living witha business but never make your fortune in Thailand much different then the rest of the world..

Best advise anyone can give you is to slow down! Doing business in Thailand is not gong to be the same as your home country. Best that you come and live here for a minimum of six months to a year an get a better understanding of what you are in for. If you are uncomfortable with the 49%\51% ownership laws you are in for a many other surprises when it comes to biz ownership!!

Really appreciate your comments John & Mike!thumbsup.gif

This is the 4th time I visited Thailand and this time, spent almost 20 days at a stretch in Pattaya, Kanchanaburi, Krabi and Bangkok ofcourse.

I do not have any illusions that a small theme cafe / restaurant would earn me big bucks.......but as long as its giving something at the end of the day, don't really mind settling down in a sunny-warm country where the food is of my liking and could help me shift base from Russia where I have been based since more than a decade now! facepalm.gif

Having worked in various countries during my almost 20 years of woking, I am not exactly uncomfortable when it comes to tackling the unexpected as well as cultural shocks. That, oviously is in sharp contrast to say some of my American / European friends who get excited as well as shocked almost every alternate hour. smile.png

Edited by Rimmer
Coloured fonts

Really appreciate your comments John & Mike!thumbsup.gif

This is the 4th time I visited Thailand and this time, spent almost 20 days at a stretch in Pattaya, Kanchanaburi, Krabi and Bangkok ofcourse.

I do not have any illusions that a small theme cafe / restaurant would earn me big bucks.......but as long as its giving something at the end of the day, don't really mind settling down in a sunny-warm country where the food is of my liking and could help me shift base from Russia where I have been based since more than a decade now! facepalm.gif

Having worked in various countries during my almost 20 years of woking, I am not exactly uncomfortable when it comes to tackling the unexpected as well as cultural shocks. That, oviously is in sharp contrast to say some of my American / European friends who get excited as well as shocked almost every alternate hour. smile.png

Leave your job (your questions infer you are not s serial entrepreneur), your life(?, coming alone leaving others behind or?), your country (or if not yours, your most recent one) to come to a place you holiday in and love to holiday in...many here have heard this approach before. Statistics likely are not in your favour. Prepare a back up plan that you can turn to if the adventure fails. Good luck

I think your attitude is the single most important element regarding your success in any endeavor no matter whether it's Thailand or wherever.

I suggest putting all the discouragement aside and just reach out for your dream.

I know people who have done that and live happily here in LOS

• Like 1

Without any connections or influence you are a dead duck doing business here.

And even if you do have connections or influence you are still probably a dead duck.

The odds are stacked way against you. wai.gif

Please don't listen to the idiots. If you are only looking to minimally support your lifestyle/self a small biz a viable option. it will not be easy, nor incredibly pleasurable, but doable. It really depends on you.

"HotelTravel.com former CEO & Founder Blair Speers is a Canadian national who has lived and worked in Phuket, Thailand, for the last 20 years.

Since the dawn of personal computers, Blair was fascinated with their potential and immediately immersed himself in the culture of technology and information communications.

He first moved to Thailand in the early 1990s and founded three international schools. But as the Internet and ecommerce revolution came of age it was not long before his high tech background naturally led him to his dual passions of travel and technology.

By then the online travel industry had sprung up and was rapidly growing in Phuket. Initially he cut his teeth working with Planet Holiday in 1997, before founding HotelTravel.com in 1999.

Under his leadership the company grew to become one of the Internet’s leading hotel booking platforms. Mr Speers is a frequent guest speaker at leading international travel conferences, universities, colleges and technology institutes worldwide covering a broad spectrum regarding the online travel industry.

He has also devoted countless hours to supporting Thailand’s travel industry, and is the current IT Chairman for the PATA Thailand Chapter."

I know for a fact that when Blair founded HT.com he had less than nothing in his pocket and a Thai wife and child... no connections or influence, just an idea. The glass can be half full or empty... up to you, as the Thai's say!!

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1

Whooooaaaaa there.... take it easy. The best advice I can possibly thinnk of is - don't rush into this. Come spend some time in-country first. If you can possibly do it, spend emough time to get out of "vacation mode" and live here for a bit. This is a country where its difficult to start a small business as a foreigner. There are a lot of hurdles, red-tape, and possibly shady dealings. Learn a bit before you jump right in. Do some research and make sure this is a place that you want to devote years of your life to.

Don't listen to naysayers who will tell you it can't be done. There are foreigner ventures that do make money. But there are also lots, and lots, and lots of people who come here on vacation, and then decide to pour money into a venture that they do not understand - and end up leaving without recouping a dime. Don't be one of those guys.

• Like 1