EC refusal to join forum upsets caretaker PM Yingluck

Lite Beer

EC refusal to join forum upsets caretaker PM Yingluck
By Digital Content

13897673751082-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 15 – Thailand's caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today deplored the Election Commission (EC) action in failing to join the multi-faction political forum specially hosted by the government.

She said the session was to listen to opinions from all groups in society but “it’s a regret that EC members who are responsible for organising the election refuse to show up.”

Representatives from several political parties including Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin of the Matuphum Party and Chuvit Kamolvisit of Love Thailand Party, and some government and independent agencies attended the meeting, chaired by Ms Yingluck.

EC secretary general Puchong Nutrawong was assigned to represent the commission.

Ms Yingluck said the EC should have received first-hand information from today’s meeting to assess the election situation.

Election registration was completed in 66 provinces while problems in eight provinces where registrations were unsuccessful must be solved, she said.

Mr Chuwit abruptly withdrew from the meeting after announcing that it would be useless to attend a forum which could not reach a concrete conclusion. He immediately left the forum after a brief speech.

Suratin Picharn, leader of the New Democracy Party, said small political parties have agreed to support the February 2 general election.

EC secretary general Puchong said he attended only to listen to opinions from all sides and said all five EC members were engaged in election preparations.

“If today’s forum agrees that the election should not be postponed, the EC is ready to arrange it,” he said.

Akachai Chainuwat, an academic and representative of the Democracy Protection Group, supported holding an election as scheduled and called on the EC to steadfastly carry out its mandate.

A labour representative urged the government to join the election and the EC to create a positive election atmosphere to build trust among Thai people and the international community, after which a national reform can take place. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-15

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the party is off to a roaring start.

Chuwit Kamolvisit, leader of the Rak Thailand Said it was pointless with out Abhist and a rep from the Anti government protestors.

So he got up and left.

"A labour representative urged the government to join the election and the EC to create a positive election atmosphere to build trust among Thai people and the international community, after which a national reform can take place."

Is he saying the government is not trying to create a positive Atmosphere of trust?

Bring the popcorn. Are they set up for Skype?

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Not many people in Thailand trust this caretaker government any more.

This may be due to the history they have of not listening to anybody except Thaksin, lies and obfuscation, no morals, no honesty, no tranparency, no accountability, no acceptance of responsibility over the last two and more years.

You put yourself in this postion Yingluck, you get yourself out. If you have to walk away from your brother then do so, it may be the best and only way of gaining the respect of the nation as a whole.

Edited by billd766

Well the party is off to a roaring start.

Chuwit Kamolvisit, leader of the Rak Thailand Said it was pointless with out Abhist and a rep from the Anti government protestors.

So he got up and left.

"A labour representative urged the government to join the election and the EC to create a positive election atmosphere to build trust among Thai people and the international community, after which a national reform can take place."

Is he saying the government is not trying to create a positive Atmosphere of trust?

Bring the popcorn. Are they set up for Skype?

The govt has already announced that the election will go ahead on 02 Feb so it wasn't much of a discussion before the predetermined decision was announced.

• Like 2

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin of the Matuphum Party and Chuvit Kamolvisit of Love Thailand Party,

So, in the interest of accuracy, Yingluck is boasting about a coupist and a happy ending massage parlour magnate attending her meeting.

So it was a coup last time? I thought the line trotted out was something about TS not being the PM,he was just a caretaker etc etc At least we have got that straight now.

Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin of the Matuphum Party and Chuvit Kamolvisit of Love Thailand Party,

So, in the interest of accuracy, Yingluck is boasting about a coupist and a happy ending massage parlour magnate attending her meeting.

Would that be Gen Sonthi who led a coup and appears to have said (at the time) he would never enter politics or want to be an MP ? Similar to how Suthep says (at the moment) he is out of politics for good................... ?

• Like 1

Would that be Gen Sonthi who led a coup and appears to have said (at the time) he would never enter politics or want to be an MP ? Similar to how Suthep says (at the moment) he is out of politics for good................... ?

And how Thaksin said the same several years back...

• Like 1

So it was a coup last time? I thought the line trotted out was something about TS not being the PM,he was just a caretaker etc etc At least we have got that straight now.

I think most would agree a coup as in Military taking the burden of government. It's just disagreement here on whether or not Thaksin was ousted as PM, caretaker PM or just 'guest' PM who had overstayed.

That's the same General who led the coup, had his amnesty included in the 2007 constitution and thinking about it decided to vote in favour of coalition partner Pheu Thai's 'blanket amnesty' bill. That chap.

Now of course the topic is the care-taking PM Yingluck being upset with the EC commission not taking part in her forum. Mind you I'm sure someone would charge the EC with meddling in elections, rules and the like if they did join. With the general election not (yet) cancelled or postponed I think the EC should concentrate on that rather than join discussions on how to possibly do it different.

• Like 1

Khun Yingluck just don't want to be hold responsible for saying me, myself and I want the election to be carried out (because my brother told me so). Instead she is again and again hiding behind other people...Be it the parliament, the MP's, forums aso.

When will she ever take responsibility...

Exactly what I've just wrote: (hiding again behind the so called majority)

BANGKOK: -- The snap election will not be delayed from February 2, as the majority of participants at a special meeting held to consider the matter agreed it should go ahead as scheduled, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced on Wednesday.

That's the same General who led the coup, had his amnesty included in the 2007 constitution and thinking about it decided to vote in favour of coalition partner Pheu Thai's 'blanket amnesty' bill. That chap.

Now of course the topic is the care-taking PM Yingluck being upset with the EC commission not taking part in her forum. Mind you I'm sure someone would charge the EC with meddling in elections, rules and the like if they did join. With the general election not (yet) cancelled or postponed I think the EC should concentrate on that rather than join discussions on how to possibly do it different.

Did the EC not send a notice requesting they consider postponing the election?Subsequently a meeting with all parties was arranged to discuss it. Given the EC made a request to postpone the election, you would have thought given they are in charge of organizing, it may have been an decent idea to attend the meeting to explain their reasoning and listen to other opinions. The main opposition have boycotted the election, by their own choice, the meeting therefore has nothing to do with them, although i believe they were still invited.

• Like 1

And how Thaksin said the same several years back...

and has continued to insist on on many occasions since including last year when he said " it's time for the younger generation to run things. "

Did he actually mean the younger generation should run things as he directs ?

Khun Yingluck just don't want to be hold responsible for saying me, myself and I want the election to be carried out (because my brother told me so). Instead she is again and again hiding behind other people...Be it the parliament, the MP's, forums aso.

Exactly what I've just wrote: (hiding again behind the so called majority)

BANGKOK: -- The snap election will not be delayed from February 2, as the majority of participants at a special meeting held to consider the matter agreed it should go ahead as scheduled, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced on Wednesday.

Whoever is hiding behind who, i think it is clear she has the electoral majority supporting her, so at the very least she has the moral high ground over a group led by someone who had best has 100K people supporting him. (We dont know how many actually support him, as surprise surprise he does not want an election) I would say its better to be hiding behind a majority than hiding behind an very small minority.

She is not hiding, she is doing everything by the book and correctly and she is making a mockery of the PDRC and the Democrat Party.

By calling such meetings she is showing she is willing to listen and she is also showing the world and the Thai people that some people have a hidden agenda by not attending, what they say they want is not actually what they want and so they refuse to attend and discuss.

Why do you think the protests are now getting smaller and smaller ?

In my opinion more and more people (the pawns and gullible ones) are seeing through this reform guise and beginning to question whether this whole protest is do with reform, or a much darker agenda.

In my opinion the suggestion that the polices hands are tied by Sutheps backers and that the Armies hands are tied by the backer of PTP/Thaksin is being brought more and more to the front. People are questioning why no coup and then when they actually look into it they can understand what the rush is to kick PTP out now, perhaps a very much darker agenda which has nothing to do with political reform.

In my opinion a lot of Farangs do not understand the games in the background, what is driving events.

Absolutely correct. By doing everything according to the book, there can be no reasonable criticism. She is giving her opponents all the rope they need to hang themselves.

Very adept politicking, whether by her own hand or those of her advisors. Then end game is drawing close, the white Queen is slowly but surely encircling the black King.

Did the EC not send a notice requesting they consider postponing the election?Subsequently a meeting with all parties was arranged to discuss it. Given the EC made a request to postpone the election, you would have thought given they are in charge of organizing, it may have been an decent idea to attend the meeting to explain their reasoning and listen to other opinions. The main opposition have boycotted the election, by their own choice, the meeting therefore has nothing to do with them, although i believe they were still invited.

The forum is on reform. The EC should stay away from that as long as they're actively busy with trying to arrange an election they feel will fail because of various reasons. They reported to the care-taking government and asked them to reconsider.

She is not hiding, she is doing everything by the book and correctly and she is making a mockery of the PDRC and the Democrat Party.

By calling such meetings she is showing she is willing to listen and she is also showing the world and the Thai people that some people have a hidden agenda by not attending, what they say they want is not actually what they want and so they refuse to attend and discuss.

Why do you think the protests are now getting smaller and smaller ?

In my opinion more and more people (the pawns and gullible ones) are seeing through this reform guise and beginning to question whether this whole protest is do with reform, or a much darker agenda.

In my opinion the suggestion that the polices hands are tied by Sutheps backers and that the Armies hands are tied by the backer of PTP/Thaksin is being brought more and more to the front. People are questioning why no coup and then when they actually look into it they can understand what the rush is to kick PTP out now, perhaps a very much darker agenda which has nothing to do with political reform.

In my opinion a lot of Farangs do not understand the games in the background, what is driving events.

Absolutely correct. By doing everything according to the book, there can be no reasonable criticism. She is giving her opponents all the rope they need to hang themselves.

Very adept politicking, whether by her own hand or those of her advisors. Then end game is drawing close, the white Queen is slowly but surely encircling the black King.

The care-taking PM is just zigzagging along, trying to avoid any responsability, trying to avoid any clear commitment, trying to survive and without much care for the Nation.

• Like 1