Thai anti-graft panel to probe PM Yingluck

Lite Beer

When I moved up north about 7 years ago, my laptop was the only one in the village. A friend of mine was trying to start a string of educational type internet cafes and satellite based teaching systems into outlying areas.

Various government ministers fought over who should be representing him and it didn't happen as expected.

I put some money into it and it went no very far.

In the meantime there are now about 4 laptops just in our family.

The isolation is over.

The light of the internet is slowly illuminating the backwaters ignorance.

People will be more politically savvy as this happens.

While I agree with you, there are two major issues: The prime one being that the language barrier and lack of English skills leaves most locked into the same highly edited and biased news and information; and if you look at those laptops being used, you will notice by and far they are glued to online games, Facebook, and Line.

Until the people are better educated, at least in English, then they are stopped at the first hurdle from become more worldly and self aware.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, NACC has the duty to investigate after a complaint is received. What the people are watching now is the process and how a complaint is investigated. Beside the accused, there is also the complainers who also need to be investigated - the background and intention of the complaint. Will the same injustice again be the curse of the country when judges were intimidated by political situations that ruled against PPP. Will the curse lead to far worse situation than 2009/2010? Judicial corruption and unaccountability make the society feel hapless. This is dangerous under the present situation. Beside civil war, it can also threaten the entire system of government. However, I am looking at the whole situation under positive mode. Whatever will be, will be and have to be. Thailand may need a big cleansing through blood and fire. If it is necessary, let it be so. Send from my Mobile

Thailand may need a big cleansing through blood and fire.

Spoken like a true red shirt.....blink.png

They already done both of these with the pouring of blood over the gates of government house and........well, I don't think that I need to go further with the infamous second example!!!

Twisting and distortion are what I have to learn from you.

Twisted and distorted!!!!!!

It is a documented and filmed fact that they poured blood over the gates of government house, right??

It is a recorded (probably filmed as well by blood lusting cohorts) fact that the red shirt leaders were ranting on stage that they should burn down Bangkok - miraculously Bangkok was burning soon afterwards - there was no lightning around at the time or bush fires so the likelihood is that it was people, enraged after listening to these hate fuelled speeches that lit the matches!!!

If you do not have red shirt leanings then you have a funny way of showing it - maybe you are embarrassed at being one!!!

Come and join us in condemning this government and remove you're stigma - you CAN be free of your affliction, brother!!

• Like 2

You spoke like someone who cannot rebut intelligently. Perhaps I should learn how to twist and distort from you. Will I? Never!

@ icommunity, If I did not know better I would say your comments are so similar to another red flag waving zealot who was banned from this forum, only to resurface with a new identity !,

But, it is simply an eerie coincidence. Like deja vu reading your posts. whistling.gif

Edited by mikemac

This has the smell of a rush to judgement by a kangaroo court all over it. Don't we wait to see the evidence before coming to conclusions, or is that not the Thai way?

Yes it does, but then the line near the end is rather embarrassing.

"Deputy Commerce Minister Yangyong Phuangrach urged the NACC to ask trading-partner countries, as well as foreign embassies, about the contracts to balance its investigation of the case, saying they are real."

Why would the govt not have any of their own evidence to provide?

Of course, NACC has the duty to investigate after a complaint is received. What the people are watching now is the process and how a complaint is investigated. Beside the accused, there is also the complainers who also need to be investigated - the background and intention of the complaint. Will the same injustice again be the curse of the country when judges were intimidated by political situations that ruled against PPP. Will the curse lead to far worse situation than 2009/2010? Judicial corruption and unaccountability make the society feel hapless. This is dangerous under the present situation. Beside civil war, it can also threaten the entire system of government. However, I am looking at the whole situation under positive mode. Whatever will be, will be and have to be. Thailand may need a big cleansing through blood and fire. If it is necessary, let it be so. Send from my Mobile

You spoke like someone who cannot rebut intelligently. Perhaps I should learn how to twist and distort from you. Will I? Never!

Well you did a pretty good job of distortion in your previous post. More than a touch of ignorance too.

Judicial intimidation. Yes, it happens but not nearly as frequently as red shirt intimidation. The classic case was Thaksin's assets scrutiny in 2001 when the Interior Minister Sanoh (expert in pocketing Wat endowments) rigged the panel of judges and T's wife had a few cosy conversations with other judges. Corruption and mismanagement rose to new levels thereafter.

Thai society is not afraid of real justice. They are, however, afraid and heartily sick of the corrupt BIB who are involved in more illegal practices than legal ones and who are largely to blame for the failure to bring rich criminals to justice. Other pieces of the jigsaw are the AG's office and the DSI - both doing the government's bidding.

There are a few independent bodies left who do their best to provide some checks on the rampant government corruption and lawlessness. The CC, Admin Court, NACC have some teeth but not enough. The Ombudsman is a farce & the Auditor General seems compromised.

Yes, Thailand needs a really good cleansing but not through blood and fire (we had enough of that in 2010). The cleaning is more urgently needed than another bought election.

• Like 2

They already done both of these with the pouring of blood over the gates of government house and........well, I don't think that I need to go further with the infamous second example!!!

Read my post again. You are twisting and distorting what I was trying to share. Totally out of context.

Read my post again. You are twisting and distorting what I was trying to share. Totally out of context.

OK, lets forget about that post.

The NACC have investigated the evidence and come to the conclusion that 15, maybe 16 people have broken the law or failed in their duty/capacity to prevent the alleged irregularities from happening. Agreed so far?

If the evidence is insubstantial or non-existent then they can carry on with their duties and the matter will be closed.

If, say for example the accused are incapable of defending their illegal actions (if there were any) then do you think that they will have been given a fair hearing and deserve punishing on account of their misbehaviour (to put it mildly).

Given how much money has been siphoned off - what do you think their chances are of being innocent are (hypothetically and realistically speaking) bearing in mind that these people are suspected of having lied from the off and are in control of where the money goes with a simple flick of their pen!!!

Civilised enough for you?

No he is not.

He has read enough comments like yours over the years to know the difference between crap and chocolate.

In fact I am surprised he even bothered responding to your verbal fertilizer.

• Like 1

Tell me, do you support this government and it's form of government - if you do, then why is his retort to your rant twisted.

The only thing that is twisted is your knickers!!!

Supporting a government does not mean you agreed everything it does. Supporting a democratically people elected government is the duty and responsibility of all citizen and military personnel. It means helping its policies bearing result. Criticizing when necessary but not sabotaging. Accuse if you must but with evidence. Exercising your voting right during election.

You twisted and distorted what I was trying to share. Totally out of context. I think you use your knickers often out of the context of use and situation. Must be quite a clown going round.

How is your latest mumbling relevant to what I shared at the beginning? I had no criticism on the right to investigate. Read my posting carefully and be on the ground level to listen.

Just what is this absurd obsession of your with the words 'twisted and distorted'? This combination of words clearly made a great impression on you when you heard them for the first time. Or is it simply my twisted and distorted brain leading me to conclude this? Why don't you try using 'turned around' and 'non-contextual' just for a change as it will up your perceived intelligence levels a notch or two!!

Well you did a pretty good job of distortion in your previous post. More than a touch of ignorance too.

Judicial intimidation. Yes, it happens but not nearly as frequently as red shirt intimidation. The classic case was Thaksin's assets scrutiny in 2001 when the Interior Minister Sanoh (expert in pocketing Wat endowments) rigged the panel of judges and T's wife had a few cosy conversations with other judges. Corruption and mismanagement rose to new levels thereafter.

Thai society is not afraid of real justice. They are, however, afraid and heartily sick of the corrupt BIB who are involved in more illegal practices than legal ones and who are largely to blame for the failure to bring rich criminals to justice. Other pieces of the jigsaw are the AG's office and the DSI - both doing the government's bidding.

There are a few independent bodies left who do their best to provide some checks on the rampant government corruption and lawlessness. The CC, Admin Court, NACC have some teeth but not enough. The Ombudsman is a farce & the Auditor General seems compromised.

Yes, Thailand needs a really good cleansing but not through blood and fire (we had enough of that in 2010). The cleaning is more urgently needed than another bought election.

Please read my posting carefully. You are totally out of context on what I was sharing. I am not going to comment on your posting which is irrelevant on what I was sharing. Be on the ground and listen, Many things/incidents/events are not as straight forward as you think. Within the complexity of the society and the 'power transition' we are experiencing in Thailand at the moment, I am trying to find order.

Oh my Buddha, how dare they investigate our little darling Ms. Yingluck? Surely those are nasty people for even suggesting that she knows anything

Especially since she has the perfect alibi: "I know nothing, I was out shopping the whole time".

The idea of taking the profits from the exporters and passing it on to the farmers seemed like a good one. This whole scenario still needs to play out and evolve with improvement and streamlining the program.

But I don't see what the charge is. Where is the illegal action? Mismanagement? Underfunding for government programs? Mistakingly thinking that creating a shortage of rice would increase the price?

I guess Thailand democracy is in it's infancy if these are surprises...

Edited by dukebowling

The idea of taking the profits from the exporters and passing it on to the farmers seemed like a good one. This whole scenario still needs to play out and evolve with improvement and streamlining the program.

But I don't see what the charge is. Where is the illegal action? Mismanagement? Underfunding for government programs? Mistakingly thinking that creating a shortage of rice would increase the price?

The profits were taken from the exporters and given to the millers. The farmers didn't see much of it.

Ducky, how exactly do you make a profit by paying more than something is worth, or create a shortage by inducing more people to grow rice? The charge is either stupidity, or more likely corruption when it turns out those proposing stupid ideas, putting them into practice and costing the nation billions were profiting from these schemes.

Ducky, how exactly do you make a profit by paying more than something is worth, or create a shortage by inducing more people to grow rice? The charge is either stupidity, or more likely corruption when it turns out those proposing stupid ideas, putting them into practice and costing the nation billions were profiting from these schemes.

Stupid is not illegal. Democracy is not meant to be efficient, it's meant to be fair. Let the government make it's mistakes, then use your vote for change.

It is a shame the NACC committee is trying to sabotage the program. Start your corruption search there.

Edited by dukebowling
  • Like 1

The profits were taken from the exporters and given to the millers. The farmers didn't see much of it.

Then they need to change all those headlines from "Farmer protests", to "Miller protests"...

Stupid is not illegal. Democracy is not meant to be efficient, it's meant to be fair. Let the government make it's mistakes, then use your vote for change.

It is a shame the NACC committee is trying to sabotage the program. Start your corruption search there.

It's good the NACC starts looking into Ms. Yinglucks involvement. Wasn't it in the last censure debate that she said she was in charge? So, where are the 400 billion Baht lost in 2011/2013 rice price pledging scheme?

Edited by rubl

What a ridiculous posting!!

Stupid is not illegal - no, but siphoning off two thirds of the money (at the tax payers expense) is. Lying about these non-existent government to government contracts is, as is hiding the massive losses and don't forget that Yingluck was head of the syndicate overseeing it all!!

Nice to see you think that it is stupid - then why is it a shame to see the NACC supposedly sabotaging it.

Not quite right about the democracy bit, Democracy is supposed to be fair to ALL and not overly (understated by a factor of 10) fair to Thaksin's cohorts and those with interests in it on the government's side and discriminatorily unfair to non-PTP voters!!

Honesty and sticking by parliamentary rules comes into it a tad as well,

The government has made too many disastrous mistakes and the Isaan people don't understand what going on in Thailand - having said that, the rice growers are beginning to come to their senses a little bit now. The PTP cheat and lie before elections and dupe the intelligently challenged into returning them to power and reforms (before a election) must be implemented.

One thing is for sure - the Shinawatra's must be wiped out of Thai politics for good!!

The corruption search has started at the NACC, but maybe not in the absurd and pathetic way you are inferring!!

• Like 1

It's good the NACC starts looking into Ms. Yinglucks involvement. Wasn't it in the last censure debate that she said she was in charge? So, where are the 400 billion Baht lost in 2011/2013 rice price pledging scheme?

It's called inventory. Not lost, needs to be sold.

Do you honestly believe that the Shinawatra clan and the other ministers are not involved in the rice industry; rice farming, renting land for rice growing, storage or any other facet? When the accounting comes due and it turns big lumps of the losses went into those pockets, stupidity will not do as an excuse.

BTW nobody has to sabotage the program. Like a Ponzi scheme, it is intrinsically unsustainable and collapse is inevitable. It's a pity that will happen when the government reaches its credit limit and the country is lumbered with huge debts and a mountain of rotten rice.

What a ridiculous posting!!

Stupid is not illegal - no, but siphoning off two thirds of the money (at the tax payers expense) is. Lying about these non-existent government to government contracts is, as is hiding the massive losses and don't forget that Yingluck was head of the syndicate overseeing it all!!

Nice to see you think that it is stupid - then why is it a shame to see the NACC supposedly sabotaging it.

Not quite right about the democracy bit, Democracy is supposed to be fair to ALL and not overly (understated by a factor of 10) fair to Thaksin's cohorts and those with interests in it on the government's side and discriminatorily unfair to non-PTP voters!!

Honesty and sticking by parliamentary rules comes into it a tad as well,

The government has made too many disastrous mistakes and the Isaan people don't understand what going on in Thailand - having said that, the rice growers are beginning to come to their senses a little bit now. The PTP cheat and lie before elections and dupe the intelligently challenged into returning them to power and reforms (before a election) must be implemented.

One thing is for sure - the Shinawatra's must be wiped out of Thai politics for good!!

The corruption search has started at the NACC, but maybe not in the absurd and pathetic way you are inferring!!

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

There are government contracts. The PTP have encouraged the NACC to ask the foreign governments as part of their investigation, but for some reason they haven't...strange.

You underestimate the Thai people. Thais are intelligent and well informed. They understand very well, enough to see through the conjecture and realize the side that is for democracy vs those that want to sabotage it.

What did the Shinawatras's do to you to make so against them? They have a right as Thai citizens to run for politics. If you want them removed then come up with a candidate and policy that competes with them. How about some policy's that helps reduce the disparity between the lower and middle class, or one that address vote buying, or one that addresses improved foreign policy, or one that addresses oil prices or…etc. To base a campaign on hate against a family will never work, especially when there isn't hard evidence, just conjecture.

Make change happen Democratically.

Edited by dukebowling

No buyers. Depreciating asset. Ruined reputation due to supply of inferior/inedible rice. Storage costs. Add up to continuing losses.

No buyers. Depreciating asset. Ruined reputation due to supply of inferior/inedible rice. Storage costs. Add up to continuing losses.

Interestingly, as the baht fails, the pricing gets more competitive.

Do you honestly believe that the Shinawatra clan and the other ministers are not involved in the rice industry; rice farming, renting land for rice growing, storage or any other facet? When the accounting comes due and it turns big lumps of the losses went into those pockets, stupidity will not do as an excuse.

BTW nobody has to sabotage the program. Like a Ponzi scheme, it is intrinsically unsustainable and collapse is inevitable. It's a pity that will happen when the government reaches its credit limit and the country is lumbered with huge debts and a mountain of rotten rice.

Where did you find evidence about the Shinawatra's making money on this program?

Or is it just more conjecture…?

Is there any objectiveness out there?