I’m meeting the gf’s parents on Sunday. They are worried that I don’t have a job

davidst01

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a million seems steep... are you sure she's being straight with you?

as for meeting the parents, be yourself - assuming you're not a drunken slob...

the worrying thing is third party advice; thai's a renown for listening to and taking on board friends and family advice that can be given more put of jealousy or spite than a genuine desire to be constructive and helpful. the only hope you have is that your GF is independently minded enough to make her own decisions. good luck.

• Like 1

Interesting.

I wonder on what basis the OP is staying in Thailand? There are very few legitimate means for someone in their 40's who is unmarried and not working to remain in country long term.

If I was this educated ladies Dad I would ask some very searching questions !

I don't think the OP has much to worry about.

The girls father is understandably concerned for his daughters future. It's not as if they are poor and looking for a cash cow. Both parents have good jobs along with the daughter holding medical qualifications and a good career.

I know of similar sinsot amount being asked by parents of girls with similar qualifications. The fact that the parents will use it for show and return afterwards is a good sign. The amount can always be negotiated and doesn't necessarily need to be in cash.

As for the cousin, ignore her advice. She doesn't know the whole story and you never know what her background was prior to moving to Europe.

There are plenty of older unmarried women with university degrees that concentrated on careers instead of marriage. Ignore the if shes a good catch why isn't she married comments.

• Like 1

sin sot doesn't really exist anymore in modern families.

But it is often given for ceremonial purposes.....You give 500K to the parents and the parents give you as gift the car that you wanted to buy (which is worth 500K) or the land/house etc.

Or you give the money and get it back immediately.

Or even the parents give you the money before and you actually give it back.

Something like that. But really money changing hands is only on the countryside, hardly when the father is Dr..

And there are more than enough relationships which the parents don't agree.

• Like 2

You have been invited to meet with the prospective in-laws.

Make no mistake this is a very big deal for your girl friend and should not be underestimated.

Without the parents blessing there will not be a happy future with this lady.

Do not be too concerned by your lady asking her friend/s for emotinal help because at the level of "Class" you may well be marrying into there is in some respects a feeling that is definitely against mixed marriage to a Falang, especially one with no discernible means of support without a job.

If I was your girls Father, I too would want a long interview with you.

As far as the dowry is concerned, the amount could be described as low as long as your lady hasn't been married to anyone before and not had any children, the fact that the parents would give this back after the wedding is a very good sign that the Sinsot is just for show and nothing more.

Initially meeting the Mum and Dad for the first time can be stressful for both parties but if you keep your calm and your dignity, show that you really do love their daughter and you have the means, brains and self respect enough to do that, then you will be OK.

It may be sensible to explain to them that you do not intend to become a professional loafer all your life and maybe you have plans to build an hospital or a school or maybe even a job as a school janitor but you will resume work at some foreseeable point in the near future

Nope...........coffee1.gif

LOL, 3 of my gals sisters eloped with their childhood boyfriends. Not much unhappiness or anger on the part of the mom. It is case to case, not really a steadfast rule. Some of these gals been married before...exercise extreeeeeeeme caution and stay away from conversations about money. Let you gal handle it.

Given the spate of threads in this vein of late you'd think having a Thai Girlfriend was akin to something you'd find in the SAS training manual.

1) Don't try and pull the mother

2) Don't kill the family pet

3) Don't break wind

4) You're 40, not 7...have you picked up no social skills in your time on this planet?

5) Perform all 'toilet functions' before you arrive.

6) You could try a neutral setting for your first meeting with the parents and draw things back in your favour, but not your fave Go-go bar or soapy massage shop.

• Like 1

sin sot doesn't really exist anymore in modern families.

But it is often given for ceremonial purposes.....You give 500K to the parents and the parents give you as gift the car that you wanted to buy (which is worth 500K) or the land/house etc.

Or you give the money and get it back immediately.

Or even the parents give you the money before and you actually give it back.

Something like that. But really money changing hands is only on the countryside, hardly when the father is Dr..

And there are more than enough relationships which the parents don't agree.

No..I do not give. They love me anyways. Call me sticky sht but my gal says many in her family admire my stickiness.

Don't believe a word about everyone having to pay 500 thousand which is immediately returned. Very humorous.