Is a genuine watchdog just a pipe dream?: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Is a genuine watchdog just a pipe dream?

The Nation

The controversial protest by the PDRC aims to create a cleaner political system, but it has opened the door to violence

BANGKOK: -- Can the People's Democratic Reform Committee evolve into a real political watchdog as urged by former pro-democracy leader Thirayuth Boonmee? To begin with, the merits and shortcomings of the anti-government network cannot be agreed upon. Some see it as a fascist or ruffian middle-class organisation that can't come to terms with the results of normal elections. Others, Thirayuth included, see the movement as a way to make the "people's voice" really heard.

The essence of the PDRC may lie somewhere in between. Or we can't simply judge things yet as they are still unfolding. A smooth transition to a purer democracy, where politicians are honest and advocate genuine checks and balances, would justify the PDRC. But violence may overshadow everything the movement proclaims to stand for.

For all the criticism against it, the PDRC has succeeded in killing off a highly controversial bill that an elected government managed to push through Parliament, without a fuss. And thanks to the movement, a question has been asked loudly about the ruling party on one hand trying to make the entire Senate come from direct election but on the other trying to subdue Parliament when it comes to scrutinising foreign treaties. Accused by its opponents and foreign media of obstructing democracy, the PDRC has shown it champions checks and balances as an integral instrument of the political system.

In fighting democracy's controversies, the PDRC itself has become controversial. The road blockades and blatant aggression that marked the uprising of supporters of the ruling party back in 2010 can't be used as an excuse to do something similar. The PDRC has denied that the "Bangkok Shutdown" street campaign was a copycat political tactic to give the Pheu Thai Party a taste of its own medicine. However, although there have been no tyre-burnings or bombs raining down on the Skytrain as yet, the PDRC cannot guarantee that violence can be avoided forever.

The explosions, shootings and killings or wounding of some armed forces personnel in 2010 were blamed by Pheu Thai and the red shirts on "mysterious hands". The PDRC has also indicated a "third party" has been at play in the current stand-off. The question, however, must be: Who gave the mysterious hands, or the third party, opportunity to strike? When political demonstrators blur the line between "peaceful" actions and aggression, they also have themselves to blame.

Not only are its means controversial, but the PDRC is also too intricately associated with one political party. Suthep Thaugsuban's resignation from the Democrat Party has not helped dispel that perception. This is the main obstacle standing between the real PDRC and Thirayuth's dream of a powerful and genuine watchdog.

Do we need a truly independent political monitor capable of doing what the PDRC has achieved, for example, burying a highly questionable law passed by the House of Representatives? Yes. Can the PDRC assume the role without causing or aggravating national strife? That's absolutely doubtful.

The PDRC was born out of lopsided political power distribution. The red shirts share a similar origin. The only referee acceptable to both camps must be one that represents both of them. That is easy to say but nearly impossible to implement. Thailand needs a restart, just like the PDRC says, but the problem is that its arch-enemy, Thaksin Shinawatra, has said the same thing. Whether the PDRC is a baby step forward, or a major step backward as its critics charge, the road toward a society with a truly effective watchdog seems very long indeed.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-20

• Like 1

Of course its possible, many other countries have found a way there and so must Thailand. It starts with responsibility dialogue and compromise, imo the biggest hurdle to get over is thainess and face which helps to avoid all of these ingredients.

corruption is the main claim of people as the root problem so we must tackle this, apart from the law and all that it goes beyond and right back to the basics of dealing with face. there is a way and Japan as example has face yet it puts responsibility higher, the workers have responsibility and so does the boss over the well being of his workers. This allows for dialogue and a compromise to facilitate ongoing responsibility of both parties. With that comes pride and with pride comes values, values reinforces responsibility and with these 3 things pride, values and responsibility corruption becomes unpalatable as well as unwelcome.

the other problem is thainess which is just another word for face but with a thai spin to make it sound unique, which it is not how you overcome that im not so sure but start with the face part and thainess may well follow with pride in feeling of value and having responsibility.

A truly independent body in Thailand ? Good luck with that.

I have always thought an ASEAN anti-corruption commission with a department in every ASEAN country would be the answer.

Each country department having a representative from each country in attendance.

Set up a hotline in each respective country for the reporting of all incidents of corruption.

Set up a dedicated anti-corruption hit squad team in each police force to work directly with the ASEAN anti-corruption committee and a specialized anti-corruption wing of the criminal court for dedicated prosecutions.

Hefty penalties for violators with incredibly tough and disproportionately high level punishment for those in political office and police, immigration and anyone else deemed to be in a position of trust and responsibility.

The instant dissolution of any political party guilty of vote buying with scrutiny of all major election policy manifestos to root out those not conducive to the benefit of the country as a whole.

Finally a league table of corruption to point out which ASEAN country is the most corrupt, just to add a little motivation.

That ought to do it.

Edited by poisonus
  • Like 1

never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see, as long as there is big money to be had there will always be corruption, the key is to set in place what is bullet proof to stop the corruption, anything is possible with the right formula

First they have to have the will.

• Like 1

Let me get this straight. Thirayuth says that the PDRC is the people's voice? How can that be? What about those who do not agree witht he PDRC? Aren't the also part of the "People"? Don't those others (who do not agree with the PDRC) also have a voice? Or does Thirayuth prefer to disenfranchise them?

hahaha...let me tell you a little story - after driving over a recently re-surfaced road in Thailand which started to disintegrate soon after again.

I asked a Thai friend of mine what he thought about it. The answer was substandard workmanship and materials because of nepotism and corruption at least 1/3 of the money paid was flowing into somebodies corrupt pockets.

I mentioned that in many other countries they have independent watchdogs - who will inspect completed government projects for their compliance with the contract - workmanship, materials, safety a.s.o...

And you know what the answer was? hahaha......

If an inspector from a watchdog will come after completion and check if everything is correct - the cost of the road will be even much higher!

I asked why? - and he said "because corrupt builder have to pay off inspector as well for closing his eyes!"

TIT - it will take generations to change an entire nations mindset!

Let me get this straight. Thirayuth says that the PDRC is the people's voice? How can that be? What about those who do not agree witht he PDRC? Aren't the also part of the "People"? Don't those others (who do not agree with the PDRC) also have a voice? Or does Thirayuth prefer to disenfranchise them?

The same thing can be said for the PTP not being the voice for all the Thai people.

Any system that has parties cannot represent all the people.

If the PDRC can create a system where the people are the government and the

all the people's voices are heard, I would welcome that. But, you'll never see that

with party systems that only represent their party and not the people.

I have always thought an ASEAN anti-corruption commission with a department in every ASEAN country would be the answer.

Each country department having a representative from each country in attendance.

Set up a hotline in each respective country for the reporting of all incidents of corruption.

Set up a dedicated anti-corruption hit squad team in each police force to work directly with the ASEAN anti-corruption committee and a specialized anti-corruption wing of the criminal court for dedicated prosecutions.

Hefty penalties for violators with incredibly tough and disproportionately high level punishment for those in political office and police, immigration and anyone else deemed to be in a position of trust and responsibility.

The instant dissolution of any political party guilty of vote buying with scrutiny of all major election policy manifestos to root out those not conducive to the benefit of the country as a whole.

Finally a league table of corruption to point out which ASEAN country is the most corrupt, just to add a little motivation.

That ought to do it.

It would never work. Half of ASEAN's member nations have a corrupt government top down. It's not just Thailand alone. What's ASEAN going to do? Boot out the majority of its corrupt member countries which would also include a founder nation.

• Like 1

Of course it is, when the very people who are supposed to uphold the law and have benefited from it, are the very people who will be in 'control' of the 'reform'!

Please do explain, also support your claim with links to statements

The Dem’s PDRC/PCAD and other oppositions of the PTP led government has never been aiming toward creating a cleaner political system, and I add – a just society.

I have been saying we are in a ‘peculiar transition’ and that it is a struggle of power and control. I totally agreed with the analysis in http://asiancorrespondent.com/117686/thailand-land-of-snarls/

While this is a reality we have to resolve, the street demonstrations started by the Dem’s PDRC/PCAD is toward seizing power to cover up their crimes discovered by PTP led government and Thai society. Suthep has a history of using threat of mass demonstration and his attitude in not allowing anyone to have a different view within his DEM and members of community leaders are clear indication that these are done for his own families, clans’ agenda.

We should bring Thaksin's camp whose popularity now seen as has created a power base not completely beholden to the entrenched establishment and the established royalist elites together to talk about each other’s fear, anxiety and concerns. Making adjustment and be inclusive of each other after the transition.

I believe the process has already been started immediately after PM YS came to power through PTP. She has consistently mentioned reconciliation and unity.

I believe the many behind the scene talks and discussions had led to the ‘blanket amnesty bill’ changed from its original proposal by a PTP MP - this is only one of the example. But it has been cleverly used by the oppositions whose focus has always been seizing power using – if we cannot win an election, we will use the streets.

Back to the subject title - Is a genuine watchdog just a pipe dream?

My answer to the question is No but with an ‘if.’ That ‘if’ is mentioned above on coming together to talk. However, it should exclude those who have been using and threatening the use of unconstitutional means to establish their power.

Using unconstitutional means to gain power will only destroy the Kingdom. Rule of law must prevail. When rule of law is seen as not functioning or not applied equally, there will always be excuses to 'talk law' and/or take it into your own hands.

The Dem’s PDRC/PCAD and other oppositions of the PTP led government has never been aiming toward creating a cleaner political system, and I add – a just society.

I have been saying we are in a ‘peculiar transition’ and that it is a struggle of power and control. I totally agreed with the analysis in http://asiancorrespondent.com/117686/thailand-land-of-snarls/

While this is a reality we have to resolve, the street demonstrations started by the Dem’s PDRC/PCAD is toward seizing power to cover up their crimes discovered by PTP led government and Thai society. Suthep has a history of using threat of mass demonstration and his attitude in not allowing anyone to have a different view within his DEM and members of community leaders are clear indication that these are done for his own families, clans’ agenda.

We should bring Thaksin's camp whose popularity now seen as has created a power base not completely beholden to the entrenched establishment and the established royalist elites together to talk about each other’s fear, anxiety and concerns. Making adjustment and be inclusive of each other after the transition.

I believe the process has already been started immediately after PM YS came to power through PTP. She has consistently mentioned reconciliation and unity.

I believe the many behind the scene talks and discussions had led to the ‘blanket amnesty bill’ changed from its original proposal by a PTP MP - this is only one of the example. But it has been cleverly used by the oppositions whose focus has always been seizing power using – if we cannot win an election, we will use the streets.

My answer to the question is No but with an ‘if.’ That ‘if’ is mentioned above on coming together to talk. However, it should exclude those who have been using and threatening the use of unconstitutional means to establish their power.

Using unconstitutional means to gain power will only destroy the Kingdom. Rule of law must prevail. When rule of law is seen as not functioning or not applied equally, there will always be excuses to 'talk law' and/or take it into your own hands.

Unfortunately the reconciliation and unity the caretaker PM/DM has consistently mentioned over the last 2.5 years centered on whitewashing her brother's criminal conviction and outstanding criminal charges and allowing her family to maintain a significant position of power.

If she was genuine, she would not have illegally issued a new passport to her brother, via her cousin the foreign minister, and would not have taken instruction from him. She has sworn an oath before taking office. How can anyone respect the law when the head of the government behaves this way?

Watchdog - let's hope the NACC have show some teeth in their recently announced probing. Any fudging, procrastination or acceptance of totally ridiculous excuses will show they're not.

Rule of Law must indeed prevail - but what do you do when those charged with upholding, maintaining, revising and enforcing the law openly refuse to obey it?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the reconciliation and unity the caretaker PM/DM has consistently mentioned over the last 2.5 years centered on whitewashing her brother's criminal conviction and outstanding criminal charges and allowing her family to maintain a significant position of power.

If she was genuine, she would not have illegally issued a new passport to her brother, via her cousin the foreign minister, and would not have taken instruction from him. She has sworn an oath before taking office. How can anyone respect the law when the head of the government behaves this way?

Watchdog - let's hope the NACC have show some teeth in their recently announced probing. Any fudging, procrastination or acceptance of totally ridiculous excuses will show they're not.

Rule of Law must indeed prevail - but what do you do when those charged with upholding, maintaining, revising and enforcing the law openly refuse to obey it?

You are still missing the point and irrelevant to what is a reality not openly discussed.

As long as it is not a Thai in charge or can have access to any money as the Thai mentality greed is good will still take over regardless of all the wonderful honest ideas regarding stamping out corruption, It needs some large international finance audit company would be needed to look after the cash finances in Thailand and once the Thais realise that they can’t always get what they want by just helping themselves from the government purse then they could gradually have an element of control of the Thai finances again but with an public available open audit to show how and where every single Baht was spent and the traceability of all the money.

I understand your post, but ya gotta start somewhere M8...

I agree with you of course but the problem for me is who in Thailand can be trusted to select a truly independent body ?

Indeed, as this articles illuminates - the PDRC can be deemed more of a vessel for public outrage against Thaksin. Of all the glues that hold the movement together, that is the engine that propels it forward. It has also crystallized and symbolized the polarized political debate in this country. It is a very sharp divide. You are either in favour of the status quo with Thaksin's undeniable grip on the administration. Or you aren't. If you aren't, you go to the PDRC - which as this article rightly points out - is an imperfect vessel composed of varying factions. Having said that, it is making progress, not only the progress this article highlights, but is pointing the way forward - for now. Many - including myself - do not see the PDRC as the end of the process. It is the beginning. Once reforms take place, I think the only plausible way forward is actually for the PDRC to recede from the picture, and for all the political parties - including the two major parties - to be involved. The biggest mistake reform could make would be to exclude Pheu Thai from the process. The problem is not Pheu Thai. It is Thaksin. Doubtless reform talks will produce efforts for all parties to be involved in the process - as well they should. But make no mistake, Pheu Thai - or whatever name changes the party has yet to adopt - will always be popular in many areas of the country. This is not about Pheu Thai, or even about a Pheu Thai administration. It is about Thaksin's monopolization of the process for his own ends. If that particular umbilical cord can be cut, reform will have a real fresh start and a real way forward.

Saying the goal of the PDRC is to clean up the political system is complete and utter BS. The goal is to get Suthep into power

were he will suspend democracy indefinitely so he can stuff his pockets as full as possible before he is eventually

pushed from power. During his last run in government, corruption went up, Suthep was implicated in a number

of schemes to stuff his pockets and not one thing was done to clean up politics. Suthep is a wolf in wolf's clothes

with a "sweet mouth" telling the gullible what they want to hear. Drink deeply of the koolaid keep supporting him and we shall

see what the future holds. No changes in political corruption just different pockets getting stuffed. The real sense of urgency

is to get into power before the 2 trillion baht in infrastructure projects gets divvied up so you can feast at the government trough.coffee1.gif