US State Department warns American tourists to avoid Thai protest sites

webfact

US warns American tourists to avoid protest sites
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The US Department of State yesterday warned citizens to avoid protest sites and large gatherings in the capital and other provinces.

In its latest travel alert yesterday, the State Department said that travel to Thailand, especially Bangkok, could be risky owing to the ongoing political and social unrest ahead of the February 2 election.

The advisory said the situation was unpredictable and that the demonstrations are expected to continue.

"US citizens are advised to avoid all protests, demonstrations and large gatherings. Some protest sites are located near tourist attractions and popular shopping malls, which at times have closed or shortened hours unexpectedly," the travel alert said.

"Protests may occur in other areas with little or no prior notice. You should allow extra time when travelling throughout the city or to/from airports. Consider using public transportation. Though many protest activities have been peaceful, increasingly violent incidents have occurred at or near protest sites."

The travel advisory stands in place until February 14, the department said.

"US citizens are cautioned that even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid protest sites, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-21

Foreigners avoiding these protests that sometimes turns violent is just common sense. Too bad that some people need to be warned.

Compared to what? your government not warning you? What a stupid comment. One can hear the anti American rhetoric on this post coming. Westerners should avoid the protests out of common sense this is not our political fight we can yap all we want on Thaivisa but lets face it this is their crisis not ours. I like the idea of blacklisting Farang who get involved in these protests. We are not Thai we are guests in this country never forget that.

Edited by BigRick
  • Like 1

Whatever the nationality, avoiding these gatherings is simply common sense. But, unfortunately, too many people lack common sense.

The US State Department, along with many other countrys' foreign offices, are simply doing their job, more or less making it "official".

My favorite warning was actually for Thai nationals, telling them not to take their children to these protests.

Edited by Curt1591

Foreigners avoiding these protests that sometimes turns violent is just common sense. Too bad that some people need to be warned.

I think these advisories are issued for the ones that don't have common sense......................wink.png

And there seems to be a lot. I foresee that many other embassies/consulates will be following suite with the same cautions.

I see many farang at the protests getting their pictures taken carry their Thai flag and blowing their whistles like it is some kind of sideshow attraction laid of just for them.

Until of course one of these tourists get blown to pieces. Then their would be an almighty hoohaa in the west.

It is not a circus attraction, even though it has a carnival atmosphere which is testament to one of the most peaceful rallies I have ever seen in my life, there are still evil forces at work that have the power of police and government backing, which means it can all go Pete Tong at any given second.

If a tourist gets killed, it will be the fault of the tourist and nobody else.

Edited by theoldgit
Reference to deleted post

any falang who is is stupid enuff to wave a thai flag needs to be executed pronto

Executed?! Why? They have a personal right to do that if they want. If you don't like it...well, executing them seems to be quite irrational.

• Like 1

Compared to what? your government not warning you? What a stupid comment. One can hear the anti American rhetoric on this post coming. Westerners should avoid the protests out of common sense this is not our political fight we can yap all we want on Thaivisa but lets face it this is their crisis not ours. I like the idea of blacklisting Farang who get involved in these protests. We are not Thai we are guests in this country never forget that.

Come on BigRick, don't be intentionally dense and/or overly sensitive about "anti American rhetoric"... That isn't what Ulysses G meant and i'm sure you know it.

We have all seen the photos of farangs at these demonstrations wearing protest shirts, waving flags, blowing whistles, and generally acting the fool.

There was no comment made stating that governments should not issue warnings...

The comment was that it is too bad that some people are so foolish that they don't realize that this is a Thai issue and that they need to be reminded of the danger they place themselves in by being at the protest sites. And further, that they are so hard headed that they won't listen even after they are reminded of the danger.

Come on BigRick, don't be intentionally dense and/or overly sensitive about "anti American rhetoric"... That isn't what Ulysses G meant and i'm sure you know it.

We have all seen the photos of farangs at these demonstrations wearing protest shirts, waving flags, blowing whistles, and generally acting the fool.

There was no comment made stating that governments should not issue warnings...

The comment was that it is too bad that some people are so foolish that they don't realize that this is a Thai issue and that they need to be reminded of the danger they place themselves in by being at the protest sites. And further, that they are so hard headed that they won't listen even after they are reminded of the danger.

My bad I read it wrong. I blame 6 hours of football(NFL not soccer) viewing starting at 3am yesterday morning.

any falang who is is stupid enuff to wave a thai flag needs to be executed pronto

hahah Thai flag is just an American/British jolly roger flag. Color coding is blatantly obvious.. and so is the time it was created.

Edited by Sayonarax

I think the protestors should stay away from Asok . The hub of tourists. I went yesterday at the time the big man was leading the protestors. I went to soi 5 food land to get my groceries. If I got blown away so be it, I needed my cereal for heaven' ..... Oh, I also made a pit stop at the bj place.