Human Rights Watch slams Thai government on emergency decree

webfact

Human Rights Watch slams government on emergency decree

1-22-2014-9-38-09-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Human Rights Watch yesterday blasted the caretaker prime minister for the declaration of the state of emergency saying the current political unrest does not warrant such decree to keep peace and order.

Senior researcher of the Thailand-based rights watchdog Sunai Pasook said the current political unrest did not deteriorate and turn so serious that the police could not perform their duties.

Instead, he said, the state of emergency was declared just because of political reason rather than public safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/human-rights-watch-slams-government-emergency-decree/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-22

• Like 1

Declaration of the state of emergency - allows the use of force on the part of the Govt, arrest and detention without a court order, and other powers that can be use on millions of peaceful anti-Govt protestors.

Importing blackshirt militants to do their dirty work, plundering banks for monies of depositors, pointing fingers in all directions, etc.

A sign of clutching straws in desperate times...violin.gifNero comes to mind.

Edited by trogers

No need for it whatsoever, This government could not run a clean raffle. On the other thread I posted re-the police force is not and never has been up for the job, it's left to the army or nothing.

The P.M. and others are aggravating the situation, sitting back and letting events take place making out they are being very good and allowing the protesters to protest, showing restraint. B/S.

They should be ORDERING the police to mix and safeguard all the people preventing attacks on the protesters wherever possible. Making sure businesses can carry on as normal as possible, and traffic flow in control.

The first time they invaded a government building I think the protesters should have been shut down,

You want to protest ok go ahead you are lucky enough to have that right, you want to invade public buildings, NO NOT OK!!!!!

You threaten people ( MP's ) and their children and wives, NOT OK!!!!

• Like 2

With the disclosure from the NAVY on the involvement of foreign people and associated with MIB, this is now a NATIONAL SECURITY problem involving traitors of Thailand.

Traitors of Thailand?...Thaksin?

If that is your opinion, open a new subject. Why reply to me? It is totally irrelevant

The subject is

Human Rights Watch slams Thai government on emergency decree

• Like 1

Relative to the cilvil unrest of 2010. The events of the last week had been benign, until various factions statred to escalate violence. Via bombings which by almost all standards are considered acts or terrorism. Conspiracy advocates that see bogy men everywhere and blame the protestors. Those with a semblance of intelligence consider the past violence perpetrated by various factions of Sinawatra supporters. as the most likely purveyors of the latest spate of violence. With the advent of a declared state of emergency the Police have cart blanche. To arrest, detain and hold people up to 60 days without charge.

Edited by rucus7
  • Like 1

this man is a pro-coup Thaksin hater - why is he working for HRW? As a private person he can take sides with whoever he wants but his opinion can hardly be called impartial.

Wikileaks is a great thing!

There are many pro-coup Thaksin haters around who are decent people. Maybe you should get used to that.

• Like 1

No need for it whatsoever, This government could not run a clean raffle. On the other thread I posted re-the police force is not and never has been up for the job, it's left to the army or nothing.

The P.M. and others are aggravating the situation, sitting back and letting events take place making out they are being very good and allowing the protesters to protest, showing restraint. B/S.

They should be ORDERING the police to mix and safeguard all the people preventing attacks on the protesters wherever possible. Making sure businesses can carry on as normal as possible, and traffic flow in control.

The first time they invaded a government building I think the protesters should have been shut down,

You want to protest ok go ahead you are lucky enough to have that right, you want to invade public buildings, NO NOT OK!!!!!

You get rid of 2500 people NO not ok. Rob your country blind NO not ok. Reds threaten the boss of the army kids NO not ok. Deprive your own people of money due NO not ok.

• Like 1

Looks like he is paying attention to the human rights of only one (minority) group...

Democracy and the right to have a voice in society is the right that the majority pays attention to... This basic human right must be protected against a bunch of power seeking yellow extremists at all cost !

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Whose children were threatened, apart from the army general's of course?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

The only violence seems to be coming from the government and Thaksin hired (Hun Sen supplied) gangsters. The protestors are peaceful They only want the government to stop stealing their tax money and to stop whitewashing their own criminals.

"The protestors are peaceful" Really....

So you didn't see them shooting bolts with slingshot's? you didn't see then invade government offices and destroy government property?

You haven't heard about taxi driver's being dragged from their car and beaten? you didn't hear Suthep say he want's to detain the PM and her cabinet and veiled threats to their children and wives? you haven't read about any of this? and that's why you say the protestors are peaceful, is that correct? whistling.gif

This group has zilch credibility with the electoral majority. Writing about their pontifications is a waste of time...The leader of this group is an AV admirer and firmly in that camp...They are treated dismissively and not taken seriously...So-called "...Slamming the Thai Govt." as paraphrased from this headline simply affirms their orientation....They should be more concerned about the attempt to nullify and dilute electoral Democracy and how that removes the rights of Thai Citizens.

Edited by Fryslan boppe

I do believe Suthep has publicly declared his intent to shutdown/ take over govt offices/ buildings. Govt must pkan and quickly react!! Of course this step is justified!!

Actually , it was stated 1 or 2 days ago publicly that the gov has enough police and security forces to handle the protesters. I believe CAPO said this

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this man is a pro-coup Thaksin hater - why is he working for HRW? As a private person he can take sides with whoever he wants but his opinion can hardly be called impartial.

Wikileaks is a great thing!

It's about time some of these vermin masquerading as independent NGO's were looked into.

Who is funding them, hope they are not getting money from real Rights watch groups as they have just let their side down even more (if thats possible) with this baltand siding with Suthep.

• Like 1

What does he recommend?

Enforcing the law, I would think. Nothing that has happened so far could not be handled by the police. The problems are, of course, that the police are unwilling to act and the government does not want to make them act for fear of creating a coup situation. The state of emergency will not change that one scrap. On the other hand, it opens the way to severe abuse of civil and human rights.

• Like 1