Hatred is not the only big worry in Thailand

webfact

EDITORIAL
Hatred is not the only big worry in Thailand

The Nation

Mistrust between the protesters and the police is soaring

BANGKOK: -- The political crisis has become extremely dangerous not only because the hatred is feeding off itself, but also because law-enforcement officers are seen as biased in favour of the government. Whether the police are intentionally partisan or are being pushed into a corner is debatable, but that doesn't matter much now. The country is in serious trouble because, increasingly, anti-government protesters and the police are failing to see eye to eye.

In 2010 the police were accused of dragging their feet as the Democrat government struggled to contain the red shirts' revolt. This time the police have been accused of being tools of the Pheu Thai government. The demonstrators have besieged key police headquarters several times, and outbreaks of violence have seen police firing tear gas and protesters hurling stones.

The situation is increasingly worrisome. The rift between a large section of society and the police is threatening to widen.

A demonstration by police recently confirmed their frustration, but they cannot blame it all on the anti-government protesters. Bangkok Police Chief Kamronwit Thoopkrajang showed off Thaksin Shinawatra's photo in his office. His admiration of Thaksin is well publicised, not least because he wants it to be.

The anti-government campaign has targeted the police as the main pillar of the "Thaksin system". Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has repeatedly said that, when he achieves victory, among the first items on the agenda would be a thorough reform of the police force. Suthep's threat no doubt strikes fear into the police. All of a sudden, the force's political stake in the crisis is firmly attached to who wins and who loses this showdown.

In fact, the stakes are getting higher and higher on both sides. The contrast with previous political crises is stark. This time, many more people have everything to gain from victory - and everything to lose from defeat. However, it is wrong for those who enforce the law to have any stake at all. Their duty demands that they remain completely neutral.

If the hatred of opposing "colours" is the most worrisome concern, the rift between the police and the protesters must come a close second. And it will be as hard to fix as the divide between people of different ideologies. To add to the complex situation between people on the streets and people in uniform, the red shirts and soldiers have yet to get over the Rajprasong bloodshed in 2010.

The worst-case scenario is that armed men weigh in on each side of the conflict. It was taboo to even mention that possibility a few months ago, but Thailand will edge toward that frightening territory if the political strife drags on. The sense of togetherness that has seen the nation through various crises is facing another great test. And we will only pass it by coming to a genuine realisation of the values of unity. In other words, "unity" must be more than just a slogan.

Healing will be a long process, even if it begins soon. The imperative to "serve and protect" is being drowned out by rallying cries from both sides of the conflict. As the crisis snowballs, a solution seems remote. But everyone must try. In a country split divided down the middle, with mistrust between law enforcers and one side soaring, the hour could become "too late" very quickly.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-25

• Like 2

The statement "However, it is wrong for those who enforce the law to have any stake at all. Their duty demands that they remain completely neutral." is true, and also applies to the Army, who owns a stake in Channel 7.

Amazing Thailand. I wonder if the writer can see the irony of this article being written by The Nation at all.

Every wants to get rid of corruption and also wants to benefit from it. How does one kill that zombie?

• Like 1

There is no unity between organisations in Thailand, no one works together and it is all about the personal little empires. The Army doesn't get along with the Police, the Police don't get along with Navy and the Navy doesn't get along with the Army. To many generals jostling for positions at the trough and god help anyone who gets in their way. Let's not forget other Dept's like TAT fighting with TCT (Tourism Auth & Council) they don't get along or work together either and are stealing each others budget. The list can go on and on

And the Thai infighting over recognition and skim. A lot of posturing in Thailand.

Police and Military are SUPPOSED to be loyal to the government.

Actually the police are not suppose to be loyal to the government, they are suppose to be loyal to the community/society.

A Police force should be independent from government to prevent corruption and bias. A Police Minister is merely a go to man/contact at the government and assists in things such as legislation/budgets etc but has no involvement in the running of the police.

This is the oath I took

I swear by Almighty God that I will well and truly serve our Sovereign Lady the Queen as a member of the Police Force of Victoria in such capacity as I may be hereafter appointed, promoted, or reduced to without favour or affection malice or ill-will for the period of

from this date, and until I am legally discharged; that I will see and cause Her Majesty's peace to be kept and preserved; and that I will prevent to the best of my power all offences against the same, and that while I shall continue to be a member of the Police Force of Victoria I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties legally imposed upon me faithfully and according to law.

• Like 1

Police and Military are SUPPOSED to be loyal to the government.

The army are supposed to uphold the Constitution and protect the Monarchy. They are not upholding the Constitution at the moment. The Constitution love it or hate it, was approved in a referendum relatively recently (2007 or so). The Constitution should be respected until a new one can be drafted and approved by the people. Mob rule, even by 'decent men', will never found a legitimate government.

• Like 1

"Their duty (the police) demands that they remaim completely neutral". What, neutral between the elected government on the one hand and people who illegally block the roads in Bangkok on the other?

Strange, they had no problem making that decision in 2010. They refused to do their duty, to enforce the law, as a result the army was called upon. The army are not trained in crowd control, it wasn't their job. The police don't make the laws, they don't get to choose which ones they like, that would be illegal.

• Like 1

From my perspective as a resident alien, a.k.a Farang, it appears that the corrupt serpent needs to have it head(s) removed. The centralized police appear not to have to answer to the local munipalities and it's citizens and take very opportunity to squeeze revenue from those they supposedly serve.

The military seems to be a free agent with high ranking officers making public statements, which in most democratic countries, would land them in civiy world post haste.

The civil servants, again appear, to be in it for themselves and some are so bold as to have tip-baskets plainly displayed in their work areas.

As other posters have mentioned, the entire system seems to be a dysfunctional child, whose parents have neglected it's upbringing from an early age and are content to see the cycle repeat itself when puberty arrives.

Aside from that, I sit, watch and enjoy the remaining days that I am blessed with.

• Like 1

The interesting premise of this article is that the police have a vested interest in the survival of this administration. Imagine a police chief having a picture of Thaksin on his wall, and imagine publicly boasting about it. So if the writer of this article laments the politicization of the police, I'm afraid he's rather late ! It's long been in place. And as the police have much to lose with any serious attempt to reform and clean up their function - which of course means the depoliticization of it, and the issue of corruption - naturally some people's feathers are going to get rustled. Many are partaking of the gravy train, and they wouldn't want that to stop. For the public, they only experience trust in the police in Thai TV dramas. The police are always in them and doing fearless work to eradicate crime. But in the reality of day, people do not hold that view of the police ! And that needs to be changed. The public needs to have trust in the police. Without that, a major pillar of democracy is gone.

• Like 1

If the Thais hate each other at least they are distracted from hating foreigners for a while.

In my experience, I have never came across any hate between Thai people and Farangs, although there are exceptions, all I've seen is mostly kindness and honesty.

• Like 1