Buddhist authority 'ready' to defrock PCAD monk

webfact

Buddhist Authority 'Ready' To Defrock PCAD Monk
By Khaosod English

monk.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Director of the Office of National Buddhism (ONAB) has vowed to defrock anti-government monk leader as soon as he is found guilty of violating the country's criminal laws.

Mr. Nopparat Banjawattanan said today that he has previously urged Nakhon Pathom Provincial Abbot Council to reprove Buddha Issara - the monk activist and core leader of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) - for his role in the ongoing protests.

Buddha Issara is the current de facto leader of PCAD′s rally site on Chaeng Wattana Road, where the protesters have been besieging the Government Complex for weeks. He was also allegedly in charge of armed PCAD guards when they clashed with pro-government supporters at Laksi district on Saturday.

According to Mr. Nopparat, the monk never responded to the dispatches from the ONAB, so the authority later appointed appointed Nakhon Pathom Governor to follow the issue. The Office eventually filed a legal case against Buddha Issara for violating Sangha laws.

Mr. Nopparat added that the Abbot Council has concluded that Buddha Issara had violated the regulation of the Sangha Supreme Council by engaging in political protests and inciting people into violence.

Since the Division of Special Investigation (DSI) has also summoned Buddha Issara to testify for the insurrection charge, the activist monk has violated both the Buddhist and the country′s Criminal Codes, said the ONAB director.

“It is clearly stated by law, that if any monk is charged for criminal offence, and if the court denies his bail, he must be defrocked at any time”, said Mr. Nopparat.

However, Mr. Nopparat said it is beyond the authority of ONAB to arrest or apprehend Buddha Issara.

But Mr. Surapong Tovichakchaikul, Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign Affairs Minister and Advisor of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO), said that CMPO will arrest Monk Buddha Issara as soon as the Criminal Court issue the arrest warrant.

Mr. Surapong also expressed his confidence that the authorities will eventually arrest the rest of the PCAD leaders, particularly those who had obstructed the election on 2 February.

According to Mr. Surapong, the PCAD′s attempt to disrupt the election has been well-documented by many evidences. He also warned that both leaders and ordinary protesters would face maximum penalty for their anti-election effort.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UVXdOemszTWc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-04

• Like 2

Religion should stay out of politics , however saying that ,in the West, we have from time to time the religious fraternity siding on the side of some protest, mainly the government screwing the people, so I can see no difference here , a-little moderation could be a good thing in a sea of hate, the DSI excelled himself again by charging the monk, however I wish the monk well and all the best.

mightyatom, on 04 Feb 2014 - 17:16, said:

Peaceful protesting is his constitutional right. Where is the proof he ever incited violence? There is none that I can recall, he always told his people not to be violent, which is some cases he was unable to control.

If anyone is being political, it is Nopparat Banjawattanan.

This defrocking will be seen as totally political.

Only in Thailand eh?

Mr. Nopparat added that the Abbot Council has concluded that Buddha Issara had violated the regulation of the Sangha Supreme Council by engaging in political protests

Please read that.

• Like 2

Peaceful protesting is his constitutional right. [...]

The issue is that monks have to adhere to much stricter rules than lay people. I looked up the behavior rules for monks here and it's possibly a violation of this: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/ariyesako/layguide.html#outside

"The bhikkhu lifestyle is for the sole purpose of realizing Nibbana. In striving towards this end, it was recognized that certain kinds of behavior are detrimental, distracting or simply unhelpful, and are also unsuitable for an alms-mendicant. Many kinds of improper behavior are not actually immoral, but rather put energy in the wrong direction or are expressions of a careless attitude. Some kinds of behavior can lead to lay people's loss of faith, some are immature or childish, some bad or ugly, and some, quite malicious or nasty."

If the monks take sides, it will affect the lay people even more and the Buddha's teachings should not be mixed with political issues.

• Like 1

First the Indian businessman, now the monk. The election is over and now it's time for the new government to assert it's democratic authority. It won't be long now until Abhisit and Suthep hear the knock on the door.

Crap as ever from you.

The election is not over, the big day is but the whole ordeal is far from finished.

It will be nullified anyway.

The 'caretakers' have no right to do anything right now, no authority.

PT have never been democratic and never will ! There is no vote within their ranks, just the edicts from the puppet master.

Abisit and Suteb have nothing to worry about, they will come out on top...

If he is defrocked then there are at least 2 monks have been involved with the reds telling people to vote, they must likewise be defrocked as should the monks who were with the reds in 2010, I bet no action was ever taken against them because they were on the fugitive's side...?

• Like 2

Another Khaosod article and another one that includes their favourite word " alleged ". This man never incited anyone towards violence. In fact, he was the key negotiator in the opening up of part of the Government Complex today, and he was the man who persuaded a high ranking police officer to spend a few nights at one of the protest sites to hear what people had to say. He has been on a three weeks fast, and he is a man of his convictions. It is entirely up to his order to discipline him, but they should not use the Yingluck administration's absurd and self-serving list of charges to propel that. And now Thaksin's cousin has added his voice to it, as they all gang up - on a monk. Welcome to the new tourist image for Thailand. Surapong does not miss a beat, however, that he has set his sights far beyond this. Every person who joined this protest will come under the full weight of the law - as only the man who personally presented a passport to Thaksin could administer - and be under the diligent scrutiny of an administration that is now backed by a quorum-less parliament of 387 MPs, a rice scandal that is weighted down with shame, a Thaksin-favoured amnesty bill that sparked unprecedented unrest in the country, and having just overseen the most disunified election in the country's history. These great role models of the rule of law are now setting their sights on the only one they can conceive of picking on - a monk - and even there they need help from his elders.

Spot on as usual sir.

Notes from https://twitter.com/BuddhaIsara

Some wonder why a monk like me has to be involved in political matters. If Thai people fulfill their duties,monks wouldn't wanna be involved.

Instead of continuing to criticize govt, protest leaders should change approach to educate the Thais about advantages of People's Council.

Following white ideology, we don't let any specific individual win; victory belongs to the whole country. Everybody participates in winning.

We know that we are fighting against dark/evil minded people. We shall win against them with kindness, patience, and our white/clean minds.

Monk's duty is not to be neutral, but to be on the side that has the right view. It's monk's duty to point out to people what's right/wrong.

Middle path applies only to the level of effort. It doesn't apply to right and wrong -- no middle path between right people and wrong people

Life is uncertain. Be mindful and wise in choosing how to think and act. Then you'll always be happy even when you're put in a bad situation

Gather quietly&peacefully when the police come. Don't resist, shout, fight/react violently in any way. Then we'll win cleanly in our hearts.

If the police come to disperse us (protesters), do not fight back. We must hold on to our ideal of being white (non-violent) warriors.

Thanks, Khun Tarit (DSI chief), for issuing me an arrest warrant, which is considered an honorable certificate for challenging the tyranny.

Those who think monks shouldn't talk about politics are foolish, as they are unaware of past relations/support between Buddhism & politics.

If monks/priests from every religion were not under the Constitution, only then can you say that monks shouldn't talk about political issues

Some police set up troop inside temple, threaten monks and block the monks from receiving food offerings. It is an example of Thaksinocracy.

Don't waste your time cursing me. Instead,think whether or not the political problems that I mentioned really exist and how do we solve them

The fact that Thai people collectively protested the government is not the people's fault, but is a result of government's unethical actions

Buying votes in order to gain a majority while ignoring the interests of minority groups is not a democracy, but is an autocracy/a nightmare

Plz share your opinion about People's Council of Thailand by filling out the form in this link: http://tinyurl.com/m2nvl89 (need 50,000 people).

It's a pity that some people are immature & try to hurt others who differ in opinions. I'm opposing corrupted politicians,not the red shirts

Leaving aside the question about the involvement of monks in politics, I can affirm that Luang Pu Buddha Issara is an extraordinarily wonderful human begin. - He is not an ordinary monk at all. - Amongst many other things, at his monastery Wat Onoi he is constructing a hospital to treat patients of Cancer with natural medicine. Although the Vinnaya (227 rules for the forest monks) do allow monks to fabricate their own medicines but not for lay people, he is using his outstanding knowledge about herbs and traditional medicine to help others.

Few years ago I had a severe problem at the neck vertebrae. After one year of treatment at Bangkok Hospital and other centers they told me that the only solution was surgery. Luang Pu did completely cure me avoiding me a dangerous and expensive surgical operation. And free of cost! I made a voluntary donation.

He will always have my deepest appreciation and admiration.

Take any conclusion that you wish about the issue or whether a monk should or should not be involved in a political conflict (I even have my own doubts about that). But if you don’t know him personally, please do not undervalue his person.

wai2.gif wai.gif wai2.gif wai.gif

Am not privy to exactly his defined role in this whole mess but ;;;"he is alleged to have been in charge of the PDRC guards" if that is true there needs to be a review...we have all seen his photos with walkie talkie in hand on the days of the shooting... maybe coordinating food services maybe instructing guards...nobody knows... but at worst, he appears to have stepped out of his role as a monk and rather enjoys the attention he is getting... good man or not... not sure it is befitting one of the cloth... but not for me to decide... am iffy on him though..at this point... in the best light he is not staying neutral..not sure either if I would trust this monk to know what is right and wrong....

"Monk's duty is not to be neutral, but to be on the side that has the right view. It's monk's duty to point out to people what's right/wrong.

Middle path applies only to the level of effort. It doesn't apply to right and wrong -- no middle path between right people and wrong people"

Not sure he is on the side with the"right view"....

sounds a bit like holier than thou..

rather making very distinct slurs about the government and individuals even on his "INFO page on PDRC. Tyranny, Thaksinocracy etc etc....but what is uber clear is the people who fronted him as some sort of legitimacy license for their sedition and insurrection thrusting religion into the fray in an attempt to draw support and empathy for the cause... not sure Issara would have been on the stage as a leader had he not been a high profile monk... though PT Barnum used whomever he could..... this monk, frock or de-frock is the very least of the worries that lay ahead in the days to come...but am fairly certain that fires are being stoked somewhere deep in the bowels of Demonstraterry.

• Like 1

Another Khaosod article and another one that includes their favourite word " alleged ". This man never incited anyone towards violence. In fact, he was the key negotiator in the opening up of part of the Government Complex today, and he was the man who persuaded a high ranking police officer to spend a few nights at one of the protest sites to hear what people had to say. He has been on a three weeks fast, and he is a man of his convictions. It is entirely up to his order to discipline him, but they should not use the Yingluck administration's absurd and self-serving list of charges to propel that. And now Thaksin's cousin has added his voice to it, as they all gang up - on a monk. Welcome to the new tourist image for Thailand. Surapong does not miss a beat, however, that he has set his sights far beyond this. Every person who joined this protest will come under the full weight of the law - as only the man who personally presented a passport to Thaksin could administer - and be under the diligent scrutiny of an administration that is now backed by a quorum-less parliament of 387 MPs, a rice scandal that is weighted down with shame, a Thaksin-favoured amnesty bill that sparked unprecedented unrest in the country, and having just overseen the most disunified election in the country's history. These great role models of the rule of law are now setting their sights on the only one they can conceive of picking on - a monk - and even there they need help from his elders.

"he is a man of his convictions"

And soon, it would appear, to be a man with convictions

• Like 2

Leaving aside the question about the involvement of monks in politics, I can affirm that Luang Pu Buddha Issara is an extraordinarily wonderful human begin. - He is not an ordinary monk at all. - Amongst many other things, at his monastery Wat Onoi he is constructing a hospital to treat patients of Cancer with natural medicine. Although the Vinnaya (227 rules for the forest monks) do allow monks to fabricate their own medicines but not for lay people, he is using his outstanding knowledge about herbs and traditional medicine to help others.

Few years ago I had a severe problem at the neck vertebrae. After one year of treatment at Bangkok Hospital and other centers they told me that the only solution was surgery. Luang Pu did completely cure me avoiding me a dangerous and expensive surgical operation. And free of cost! I made a voluntary donation.

Take any conclusion that you wish about the issue or whether a monk should or should not be involved in a political conflict (I even have my own doubts about that). But if you dont know him personally, please do not undervalue his person.

wai2.gifwai.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

Yeah...because those hocus-pocus herbal cancer cures worked a treat for Steve Jobs.

Take any conclusion that you wish about the issue or whether a monk should or should not be involved in a political conflict (I even have my own doubts about that). But if you dont know him personally, please do not undervalue his person.

wai2.gifwai.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

Yeah...because those hocus-pocus herbal cancer cures worked a treat for Steve Jobs.

That weird treat of Steve Jobs reincarnated as a Warrior Philosopher was made by the Dhammakaya. Buddha Isara is not Dhamakaya; rather on the opposite side of the Thai Sangha.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13673

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/08/31/thai-group-says-steve-jobs-reincarnated-as-warrior-philosopher/

"But Mr. Surapong Tovichakchaikul, Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign Affairs Minister and Advisor of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO), said that CMPO will arrest Monk Buddha Issara as soon as the Criminal Court issue the arrest warrant."

Right! Sure! Just like the arrest warrents on suthep and the others.

• Like 1

I think the point is that if you have religious faith, and it has become a very central part of your existence, in your mind at least it takes priority over such things as arrest and soforth. I'm not saying it is ok to break laws, only that some people believe they are being judged by a higher power on a daily basis, and they don't see other powers as of equal importance. But to those people I would say, even if you personally don't fear arrest or whatever, you should certainly remember that you are a role model to children, and you should walk a very clear line on the side of law and order, and honour the mortal boundaries around you even though you personally have transcended them. Do it for the kids, such a cliche, but it is true. Always have to set a good example for the youngsters, because they are most certainly watching you and taking notes.