Amnesiac Irishman leaves Phuket

Lite Beer

Amnesiac Irishman leaves Phuket
Wiparatana Nathalang

1391840589_1.jpg

Francis O'Brien at Thalang Police Station last Saturday.

PHUKET: Irishman Francis O'Brien, who was found wandering in Thalang last Saturday (February 1) with no memory of how he got there, finally flew out of Phuket on Thursday (February 6).

However, he did not fly home to Ireland, Pol Sen Sgt Maj Jirawat Nawatong of the Tourist Police, told The Phuket News. Instead, Mr O'Brien flew out to stay in Malaysia with a relative.

After he was found wandering with minimal memories in Thalang, he was taken to the police station there. However, the station was at that time under siege from anti-government protesters.

Rather than risk having Mr O'Brien involved, and deciding that there was actually nothing wrong with him, the Tourist Police dropped him off in Patong - and lost sight of him.

He next appeared at the airport and was once again taken in hand by the Tourist Police. Finally, with the help of Irish Honorary Consul Helene Fallon-Wood, police learned of the relative, whom they contacted.

On Thursday he flew out of the island.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/amnesiac-irishman-leaves-phuket-44493.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-02-08

Reminds me of my ex business partner in the UK who had certain mental problems that would surface now and again.

He was Irish too, and he would go missing a lot during bouts of confusion.

He turned up one day in Canada, he had to be subdued at immigration because he was clearly off his head, and was put into a mental hospital there for a month before they released him back to his mum who brought him back to the UK. He has no idea to this day what he was doing in Canada.

The guy was worth just under Β£200 million, left by his mega rich cattle dealer dad who died. I think he was looking for his dad. Such a shame at the tender age of 33 with all that going for him.

I have to confess, some of the highlights of my life was after prolonged drinking sessions with the Irish, ( I'm sure most of the antics we got up to are probably illegal these days lol) and they are still friends today. Stay safe fella, and best wishes for your safe return home.

• Like 1