The "To Jomtien" baht bus queue in South Pattaya a cauldron of violence

Jingthing

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This scene was so dramatic that OTHER people in the crowd were in danger of being victimized by it as the swarm of violence was MOVING towards the large group of people, and people had to run away to avoid being accidentally hit themselves.

Shouldn't this be in the drama queen forum?

People were running. The fight swarm was moving very fast and pushing into people. Yes the crowd was freaked out. Indeed, I was freaked out. Should I not report the truth?

Edited by Jingthing

I NEVER wait in the queues for a baht bus to Jomtien, but walk down the road a couple of hundred metres (towards Jomtien) and pick up a passing baht bus. Quite often get one that only has a couple of people in it, as opposed to the ones that are in the queue, they fill those to overflowing.

We use the same Tactic after seeing several incidents over the years

coffee1.gif

Me too. I could never see the sense in sitting there waiting for the bus to fill up. Never had a problem picking up a near-empty one heading to J.

• Like 2

JT wrote "My immediate reaction was to look for POLICE (which there often are nearby in that area) to at least come in and break it up, but there were none visible."

should have just followed the fresh brown skid marks up Pattaya Tai

The thuggery that surrounds the Baht Buses is nothing new, it is just getting worse, until there is an end to corruption in local and national government, and public office do not expect any change soon (hell will freeze over first), Pattaya will only get worse at lest the Ruskies will hit back.

Edited by Basil B

No matter how big and macho the foreigner, and how small the Thais (even women), the foreigner is ALWAYS gonna get owned in the end (power in NUMBERS). It was quite a scene. The Thais were really small, the foreigner was really big, but the it was no contest.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm not interested in alternatives to the queue. Maybe others are. I do not believe these other alternatives are as problem free as being sold here.

My personal experience is the queue is worth the hassle for the CERTAINTY of destination and fare, and also convenience of where it is usually works for me perfectly.

I do wish the baht bus company could set up a civilized system of crowd control there (and clamp down on the violence) but I know my wish is in vain.

JT. Why don't you learn a bit of Thai. I've been in queues or faced potential dramas as you have, but if you smile and say something to the driver such as "there's a lot of crazy Falangs out tonight, and most of them smell don't ya think?", they'll probably piss themselves and let you ride shotgun in the A/C cab.

Your apparent reluctance to engage Thais (particularly bus drivers) in conversation (in any language) as highlighted in many of your posts intrigues me. Do you assume that every engagement must by definition be one of conflict?

TO GSX... Do you always put down your fellow kind just because you can speak Thai and KISS ASS??? Just wondering...............

Edited by BigSkip

No matter how big and macho the foreigner, and how small the Thais (even women), the foreigner is ALWAYS gonna get owned in the end (power in NUMBERS). It was quite a scene. The Thais were really small, the foreigner was really big, but the it was no contest.

Bunch of cowards thats why

Once the russkies get their kgb style hit squads organised people wlll disappear overnight comrade

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thailiketoo accused me of being a bigot because I referred to Thais and their six to one odds, I remarked that I read this regularly on TV, and the answer I got was it was the keyboard warriors who reported on this subject. It is well known although I have never seen this myself, that if you retaliate against a Thai guy in any way, you have to take on any others who are nearby.

Now in my opinion, much as I believe the vast majority of Thai people are decent and honest, this is a Thai thing, now back in the UK (I cannot comment on other countries, except maybe America ) If you had a set to with a non Farang, there is almost no chance all the others who are nearby would automatically jump in with fists and boots flying the way the Thais would..

Years ago when I was in America with my girlfriend, we were in a self service restaurant and a non white guy jumped in front of the queue, when my GF complained to him he manhandled her, so I immediately jumped in and walloped him, there was a few other guys mostly white, and nobody jumped on me. Would that have happened in Thailand? I do not think so.

Jingthing, from what I can see, is a highly respected TV member, and is no keyboard warrior, and I believe what he witnessed was very typical of Thai guys. Their bad driving, not them all, and their cowardice, again not them all, are the only real things I do not like about Thailand, and I still say that the good far outweighs the bad in this country.

• Like 2

10 years here(yes ,i know my mistake) ,never used a bathbus (nor motorcycle taxi,nor mini bus ,nor big bus )

never drive with my car in Pattaya center during the day,hate to wait and dangerous.

Exept for shopping malls,what is there to see ? Nothing that i didn't see before.

The beach water (also Jomtien) stinks,the beach with 1 milj rusty parasols ......bah !

I know much better places (but will tell noboddy ) coffee1.gif

On the incident in question, it is possible the foreign man initiated the violence. I'm sure he felt provoked but that would have been a crazy thing to do given the gang up thing here which he probably wasn't yet aware of. I'm sure he's learned his lesson about getting into fights you can't possibly win in Thailand. I'm not suggesting that all Thais are always wrong and all foreigners are always right. I'm only talking about a sick situation at that baht bus queue that is conducive to violence.

The behavior of much of the crowd doesn't help. The crowd gets the message really quick if they don't act aggressively, they'll be waiting all night to get a seat on the bus (yes if you're willing to stand, it's easier). I imagine if the crowd was all Canadians, no degree of horrible Thai management of the queue would be a problem. But it's not.

post-37101-0-67198000-1392029773_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

TO GSX... Do you always put down your fellow kind just because you can speak Thai and KISS ASS??? Just wondering...............

No, I usually suffer fools gladly. But happy to make the odd exception with some drivel one reads on TV.

Do you think your post qualifies as drivel? Just wondering.........coffee1.gif

I always question "Jomtien?", never had one turn off in four years, but if you prefer sitting there in the heat, surrounded by BO until they fill the bus, up to you.

What does "BO" mean in the context of your post? The first five results given by http://www.acronymfinder.com/ are:

• Box Office
  • Bolivia
  • Bologna (Emilia Romagna, Italy)
  • Bulletin Officiel (French)
  • Big O (anime)

I always question "Jomtien?", never had one turn off in four years, but if you prefer sitting there in the heat, surrounded by BO until they fill the bus, up to you.

What does "BO" mean in the context of your post? The first five results given by http://www.acronymfinder.com/ are:

• Box Office
  • Bolivia
  • Big O (anime)

I would guess that it stands for Body Odour!!

• Box Office
  • Bolivia
  • Big O (anime)

Urban Dictionary

Words related to bo:

stink smelly body odor odor b.o. stank stench stinky sweat

Take your pick.

Edited by giddyup

• Box Office
  • Bolivia
  • Big O (anime)

I would guess that it stands for Body Odour!!

I think someone was just winding me up, either that or he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Like 1