Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

webfact

Suthep is now trying to save his face. Banks just won't submit to such terrorist threat.

Send from my Mobile

So you consider this a 'Terrorist Threat':

"Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

"I hereby announce that non one is opposed to the banks granting loans to the administration," Suthep said.

Suthep said he had sympathy for farmers because they had sold their rice to the government since October but had not received money yet."

Nah, that's not a terrorist threat

The threat he referred to was this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701668-pdrc-leader-suthep-warns-banks-against-rice-loans-to-government/

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

February 3rd, 2014 (one week ago)

You are such a troll spinner, it's not even funny.

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the real world. One would realise that it doesn't matter what Suthep or the government say's! It is up to the individual banks to access the risk of lending to a caretaker government in as much trouble as this one is.

Or would you prefer to see a run on the banks because people would start withdrawing funds from any bank that lent to them?

Just curious why the term "BANKRUPT" isn't used to describe the current government's situation?

I will be right at the front of the line to withdraw every baht if my bank makes a loan to the government.

And what are you going to do with the money, hide it under your pillow? coffee1.gif

If you can stop giggling about your comment for moment, do you think every bank will loan money to them or will there be some that are much more sensible and refuse?

ha ha .... this will shoot down that baseless claim that Suthep and the protesters are trying to block payment to the farmers.

Of course the banks won't do it .... they aren't stupid.

But if the banks DO approve the loans now, won't it seem like they are taking direction from Suthep, and wouldn't that mean that he wields a lot more power and influence than the Shinawatras? That alone might be enough for Thaksin and Yingluck to run far away and never bother Thailand again.

Only a Democrat could spin it that way.

If the banks do approve the loans now, it means that someone with higher influence instructed them to do so, not because puppet Suthep flip flopped again.

I don't see myself as a Dem or whatever the other guys are. I really haven't paid much attention to the labels used. All I see is a dangerous family who have dug their dirty heels into the mud of Thai politics and abused the situation terribly to feed their bank accounts and egos. They are damaging Thailand badly and should be imprisoned, at the least.

My question is only one of an academic nature. Basically, i just wanted to know if there is a chance that it could be interpreted that way. I am not saying that that is how I see it.

Edited by Brevity

Strange.

It might be that Suthep was against government or state owned banks such as Government Savings, State Pension and Krung Thai lending the money.

Maybe now the independent commercial banks are in the auction he doesn't object.

Could be that he feels that politically he has made the gains he wanted.

Could be that any loan will be declared unconstitutional and the government will go to Bang Kwang

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I don't think he is trying to save face, I think you all underestimate him. PTP will shortly find themselves in the canoe without a paddle.

...says the guy swimming in the ocean without even a canoe.

I wonder when Suthep gets in if he will have all the pro PTP farang supporters kicked out for aiding and abetting a criminal Government. The internet is far from safe and this board is far from anonymous wink.png

Oh yes, I forgot ...freedom of speech and press freedom will be gone in Thailand when Suthep and his people's council take the power. You either support dear leader or you get out.

You don't have to be pro-PTP to be anti-Suthep, you know? Some people are just not comfortable with a madman and his communist-style people's council leading the country.

And criminal government? Where has the government been convicted of anything? Why are you spreading lies?

• Like 1

Suthep said he had gathered Bt25 million in donations for farmers and would use the money as a court fees for farmers to sue the government.

That is why he gathered money? That is how he will help farmers?

All those guys are a joke. Both sides...

Of course thats what is left after he, no his son, hmm too transparent, someone have bought that piece of hillside property he always wanted.

In the real world. One would realise that it doesn't matter what Suthep or the government say's! It is up to the individual banks to access the risk of lending to a caretaker government in as much trouble as this one is.

Or would you prefer to see a run on the banks because people would start withdrawing funds from any bank that lent to them?

Just curious why the term "BANKRUPT" isn't used to describe the current government's situation?

I will be right at the front of the line to withdraw every baht if my bank makes a loan to the government.

And what are you going to do with the money, hide it under your pillow? coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

If you can stop giggling about your comment for moment, do you think every bank will loan money to them or will there be some that are much more sensible and refuse?

I am not fool enough to trust a Thai bank. I have one account only to transfer funds needed for one month the rest stays in my account in the US. It is also to show I met the requirements for extension of stay for retirement.

Suthep is now trying to save his face. Banks just won't submit to such terrorist threat.

Send from my Mobile

"Suthep urges commercial banks to approve loans to govt to pay Bt130bn debt to farmers

"I hereby announce that non one is opposed to the banks granting loans to the administration," Suthep said.

Suthep said he had sympathy for farmers because they had sold their rice to the government since October but had not received money yet."

The threat he referred to was this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701668-pdrc-leader-suthep-warns-banks-against-rice-loans-to-government/

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

February 3rd, 2014 (one week ago)

You are such a troll spinner, it's not even funny.

Sorry, but where does it say that he was referring to a headline from 9 days ago? Is that referred to in the thread? Are you a mind reader or is it just another one of your TV identities? Oh the irony of you coming on here and calling anybody a 'troll spinner'. You are a little like Pipkins, you seem to be keeping a scrapbook of Suthep headlines to fire off in any post at any moment. Most worrying on many accounts.

• Like 1

ha ha .... this will shoot down that baseless claim that Suthep and the protesters are trying to block payment to the farmers.

But if the banks DO approve the loans now, won't it seem like they are taking direction from Suthep, and wouldn't that mean that he wields a lot more power and influence than the Shinawatras? That alone might be enough for Thaksin and Yingluck to run far away and never bother Thailand again.

Only a Democrat could spin it that way.

If the banks do approve the loans now, it means that someone with higher influence instructed them to do so, not because puppet Suthep flip flopped again.

Could also have something to do with the farmers now protesting against the Suthep mob for blocking earlier attempts by the government to secure loans. Seems like the farmers are not the allies he hoped for.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Meanwhile back in the real world.

we all saw the marches on the banks and the threats.

Just more proof of this mans instability. He has done a massive flip!!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-leader-warns-banks-rice-loans-government/

Even most Thai visa members would have to call Troll on you for that.

In the real world, a madman like Suthep would already be locked up and facing more charges than Santa Claus can carry in his bag. He would never see the outside of a prison, ever again in his life.

But then again, this is Thailand, not the real world.

still nothing new to offer other than the same old same old!

I wonder when Suthep gets in if he will have all the pro PTP farang supporters kicked out for aiding and abetting a criminal Government. The internet is far from safe and this board is far from anonymous wink.png

Oh yes, I forgot ...freedom of speech and press freedom will be gone in Thailand when Suthep and his people's council take the power. You either support dear leader or you get out.

You don't have to be pro-PTP to be anti-Suthep, you know? Some people are just not comfortable with a madman and his communist-style people's council leading the country.

And criminal government? Where has the government been convicted of anything? Why are you spreading lies?

Freedom of speech has already gone in Thailand, or are you forgetting about all the Government threats to media and individuals? Are you forgetting about people arrested for 'liking' anti Government posts on Face Book. Surely you have all those quotes in your little electronic scrap book or are they not part of the daily briefing sheet?

Really? It was just in the news this morning that:

Thailand rises five positions to 130th in the World Press Freedom Index 2014.

There is more press freedom under Yingluck than under Abhisit and Suthep.

Is that good or bad?

You have to be jokeing!!!!!!! but I think you just want to rattle and stir things up for your entertainment.

I suggest you take a look back at just what Suthep and his thugs said to the banks if they dared to approve loans for the rice farmers payments.

If you enjoy credibility in your comments which you are entitle to voice, then I would think accurate information would be a good thing for you for a change...

I love Thai politics. YL goes out to borrow a nominal amount owed and Suthep calls her out on it saying she should borrow the entire THB 130 billion owed to pay all the rice farmers the YL led government owes so everyone knows how little it is that she is paying.

Still, I wish both sides didn't end up using in need farmers as pawns in their political games.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Send from my Mobile

"So all bring 1 liter of fuel in cans to Bangkok and if they get in our way we will burn Bangkok down - Apr 2010"

Now THAT is a terrorist threat thumbsup.gif

I don't think he is trying to save face, I think you all underestimate him. PTP will shortly find themselves in the canoe without a paddle. Not long now. I wonder when Suthep gets in if he will have all the pro PTP farang supporters kicked out for aiding and abetting a criminal Government. The internet is far from safe and this board is far from anonymous wink.png

Would not be a surprise as Mark did just that after putting an Australian in jail for 89 days then threw him out after voicing his opinion 2010

Remember that Suthep say's he has no respect for falang's and no use for them , but I wonder how much respect he has for his falang cloths, falang car's falang watches, and falang bank accounts??? falangs bring your money and get out.

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Replies were removed as well. Off topic posts and replies have been removed.

Ring a bell?

"

Posted 2014-02-03 12:06:47

PDRC leader warns banks against rice loans to government

x2-3-2014-11-57-12-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg.p

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

"

• Like 2

eh . . . not able to understand ? he strongly said NO earlier, and he says YES now. consistence ? or politics ?

Three senarios

1. He got wind that the loans were going to be granted

2. After speaking to the farmers he realised that the situation was indeed dire and may have struck a deal if he backed the loans

3. Now or later the money would have to be paid so why not now and maybe gain some support

regardless it was a good move and the right one

will see, if this is a straightforward tactic or something else. check out his talk tonight.

Ring a bell?

"

Posted 2014-02-03 12:06:47

PDRC leader warns banks against rice loans to government

x2-3-2014-11-57-12-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg.p

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban last night warned both commercial and state banks against any rice loans to the caretaker government with threat of facing shutdown by protesters.

"

That's because it was illegal then.. Now it's not as Yinglucks "government" have finally got approval from the Council of State that they can get loans to pay existing known debt.. at least that's what they said!

• Like 2

Really? It was just in the news this morning that:

Thailand rises five positions to 130th in the World Press Freedom Index 2014.

There is more press freedom under Yingluck than under Abhisit and Suthep.

Is that good or bad?

Yes Really! Or do you consider the poll's and tables fact? Haven't you just called polls of no consequence on another thread? The briefing sheets aren't very comprehensive are they.

So, with arrests for likes on FB and media openly warned not to print anything against the Government ..

The World Press Freedom Index is not based on a poll of 1,200 people's opinions like the NIDA poll I commented about in the other thread.

And can you please share a link to back up your statement where it says that someone was arrested for printing something against the government?

Find your own links, you deserve not an ounce of assistance from me. You seem to spend all day on Google so it won't take you too long.

No the World Press rankings are not the opinions of 1200 peoples opinions they are the opinions of 150 members of reporters without borders.

Why on earth you think it is laudatory or relevant to even consider quoting world press freedom rankings in a country that has remained at above 120 for the last God knows how many years is beyond me. Is it in the briefing sheet to push the agenda?

• Like 1

Beyond question, this is a flip, and an outright odd one. The argument Suthep posed before - rather emphatically - was that he would not allow such a thing to happen. The tactic worked. Such was the reaction from both within the banking industry and outside of it, that the banks uniformly disavowed propping up the scheme. Having said that, the banks were primarily worried about engaging in something that would not stand up in court if challenged constitutionally, as the administration is in a caretaker capacity, and forbidden by both the EC and NACC from pursuing such loans from the banks at this time. Suthep is aware of that, and so is likely trying to gain political mileage from the idea. His previous stance was correct, however, because it was based on the sound premise that this was a corruptly managed scheme that resulted in the abuse of not only the farmers, but the public trust in the transparency and solvency of the banking system. Suthep's call is a shrewd political move, though one unfortunately without much credibility to back it.

It is very important at this juncture to emphasize that the farmers indeed ought to be paid. They grew the rice. They were not paid for it. But this is not the way to do it. You do not fix this by simply continuing the nefarious and insolvent practices that got you in trouble in the first place. But the bottom line is that the administration no longer has the power to raise or delegate monies. The allocation of public funds by this administration would be clearly unconstitutional. The question as to whether the rice in the storage silos is fully accounted for and edible is the foremost question of the day. Because if there are any discoveries that point to an expanding web of corruption, it will mark a quicker - rather than later - end to this administration. The public sentiment is unquestionably on the side of the farmers. And if you asked anyone on the street, they would likely tell you that the rice silos would be in safer hands under the farmers than under the administration. They would also likely say that the rice belongs to them.

• Like 1

Suthep said he had gathered Bt25 million in donations for farmers and would use the money as a court fees for farmers to sue the government.

In other words he won't be paying the money to the farmers. And court fees will amount to 25 billion baht? I doubt it. Very disappointing to see donations misused in this way as I don't think farmers will see any of it.

Both sides are indeed a bad joke.

This is a move of genius ! Suteb wants the caretakers to take out the loan, then they will be sued, double threat as they have to both pay back the loan and deal with the court case. When they default on the loan, sadly it will be the tax payer who pays but will further show what a bunch of useless idiots the caretakers are. Hopefully they will be gone soon and someone with brains can take over the running of the country.

In other words he won't be paying the money to the farmers. And court fees will amount to 25 billion baht? I doubt it. Very disappointing to see donations misused in this way as I don't think farmers will see any of it.

Both sides are indeed a bad joke.

Another one that can't read.... MILLION ..not billion.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app