Granary fire unlikely to be arson: Lop Buri Governor

webfact

RICE-PLEDGING SCHEME
Granary fire unlikely to be arson: Lop Buri Governor

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The blaze at a granary in Lop Buri's Chai Badan district on Tuesday was unlikely to have been arson, Lop Buri Governor Thanakom Jongjiri said on Wednesday.

The granary, which is surrounded by a fence, stores only broken rice, he said. The governor spoke after joining a police forensic team investigating the granary fire in the district's Tambon Lamnarai.

It is one of the hundreds of governmentowned granaries used for keeping rice under the controversial ricepledging scheme.

Pol Col Pongnaresuan Tantiwattana, an investigator, said the fire's flash point was in the middle of the rice pile. A total of 120 sacks of rice were damaged, he said, adding that 40 sacks were destroyed by fire and water and the other 80 sacks simply fell apart.

He said police will look into comments made by the granary's owner who speculated that the fire may have been caused by flames spreading from an adjacent sugarcane field.

Opponents of the scheme have claimed that the fire was started deliberately to cover evidence of irregularities.

The governor added that 50 police would be deployed to provide security at the granary.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-12

And as I said earlier today! I think I am starting to see into the future.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703936-thai-govt-to-ask-commercial-banks-again-for-loans-to-pay-farmers/?p=7427517

So the most plausible explanation is that the rice has spontaneously combusted!

All I can say is that I hope they have got better excuses for the NACC!

• Like 1

And as I said earlier today! I think I am starting to see into the future.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703936-thai-govt-to-ask-commercial-banks-again-for-loans-to-pay-farmers/?p=7427517

So the most plausible explanation is that the rice has spontaneously combusted!

All I can say is that I hope they have got better excuses for the NACC!

rice can spontaneously start to burn, but only when it is wet, so wet that it is rotten down....

• Like 2

Why would they deploy 50 police if the fire was "spontaneous" combustion but then again if it was started by a spark from the sugar cane fire down the road it must have been just plain bad luck that the rice bags that caught alight were located in the middle of the grainary and those bags that just fell apart must have been another stroke of bad luck - maybe Lop Buri is the new hub of bad luck?cheesy.gif

Well it is true that a lot of gov graneries have had a run of bad luck catching fire. Must be a new kind of rice they have grown that has the inclanation to spontaneously combust. Guys you better keep the rice you bought at the market or it may just burn down your home.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am being to think I must instruct Mrs Soutpeel to dispose of all Thai rice contained in Soutpeel Manor post haste in case it spontaneously combusts and burns the house down...

80 bags simply fell apart?

Makes you wonder about the state of the 'broken rice' in that warehouse. That's about 43,000 sacks in total as caretaker Dept. MoC, Pheu Thai party list MP and UDD Nattawut mentioned in another topic here.

Grains (and other organic materials stored in bulk) can and do spontaneously combust, from heat generated by the fermentation from bacteria. Of course that indicates that the grain is in a state of decomposition in the first place. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

there are a few members of the PTP I would like to see spontaneously combustion..

I can guess that the only reason Kittirat doesn´t go off like a roman candle during his press conferences is that he switched to asbestos underwear at some point.

yes complete fouling......well known if you have big stacks of wet grass...it can start burning on itself

Maybe the compost rice needs to be turned regularly to allow it to aerate so it spreads the generated heat evenly or perhaps they are. planning to sell back to the farmers for fertilizer/compost .Then on the other hand someone may have had a brain fart and be trying to ferment as saki to sell it bottled to the japanese . Smart boyz from the PTP. No wonder they are so wealthy. smile.png

Maybe the Gov knows somthing nobody else knows.

Next we may hear that some policitician needed to supervise the Farmers inspection and decided to go early and took their mia noi there to have good times and to smoke some weed.

Ooops sorry, they fell asleep and the smoldering weed cig caught those old rotting sacks of rice piles on fire.

They thought they would try pitching hay, but ended up having a Kow Barbeque

At least my version of this porkie is more believable. guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

Edited by quagmirefg

clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> ... Priceless !! ... 50 BIBs to protect the " granary" from Sponateous Combustion ... cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> ...

Priceless...your ridiculous interpretation of the report.

Ridiculous, how so?

The article states they are sending 50 BIB's to protect it and also they claim it was not arson, which leaves spontaneous combustion (from rotten rice) or it caught fire due to burning taking place in a neighboring field, which as the article states the fire was in the middle of the stack seems highly unlikely. The most logical assumption is the rice was rotten.

Out of interest, what is your interpretation of the report?

• Like 1

"The governor added that 50 police would be deployed to provide security at the granary."

50 police men then provide security?

For an old rice warehouse?

That must be a joke!

Security from what and from whom?

Surely they are not hiding something that could be embarrassing to someone high up!!!

They don't have that many people guarding Fort Knox for Christ sake and I think that the gold inside that building might be worth a tad more than heaps of rotten rice - just what is wrong with these people??

"The governor added that 50 police would be deployed to provide security at the granary."

50 police men then provide security?

For an old rice warehouse?

That must be a joke!

Security from what and from whom?

Surely they are not hiding something that could be embarrassing to someone high up!!!

They don't have that many people guarding Fort Knox for Christ sake and I think that the gold inside that building might be worth a tad more than heaps of rotten rice - just what is wrong with these people??

Security from any nosy journalists who might want to take pictures and samples, to show the rotten rice... mind you does Thailand actually have any nosy journalists?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would need moisture/water to cause heat to build up to a combustable point so either the rice was rotting away, there was water getting into it or someone assisted it are the only possible causes. This may be simplistic but it is all that could have happened, why wasnt the rice being checked for moisture content/rot to prevent this, maybe it was all contrived by the ptp to cover their <deleted> by allowing this sh* t to happen.

A total of 160 bags of rice were damaged or destroyed by fire and this represents a coverup of the rice lending scheme?

You guys are really funny!

Just as all of their cover ups are handled, it was bungled!! Why they thought that setting fire to a sack of rice would wipe the warehouse off the face of the earth is anybody's guess.

The fire couldn't have started in the middle of the heap for starters as there would be insufficient oxygen available to sustain a fire so that's a lie for a start!!! Only having two of the three elements (ignition source, oxygen and fuel) available does not in any event lead to a fire!!!!