Arrest warrants underway for 7 suspects in Lak Si shoot-out

webfact

Arrest warrants underway for 7 suspects in Lak Si shoot-out
By Digital Content

13922567951270.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 13 – Police will seek court approval to issue arrest warrants for seven men connected with a clash at Lak Si intersection on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road.

National Police chief Adul Saengsingkaew said the authorities have the names of several suspects, all of whom are not men in uniform.

Deputy National Police chief Ake Angsananond said police were accumulating evidence to take action against the seven suspects at Lak Si intersection, including a hooded man who hid his gun in a popcorn bag and now widely known as the “popcorn gunman.”

He said three groups of protesters, from Lat Phrao intersection, Chaeng Wattana Road and Wat Lak Si, were involved in the clash at Lak Si intersection.

Regarding the fatal incident at Wat Sri Iam on Jan 26 in which a key anti-government protester was shot dead, the national police chief said video clips of the shooting acquired by police were not clear enough to identify the culprits. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-13

Here didn't know you needed warrants when both the Military and police were standing no more then 5 metres away. Job well done pathetic bunch of peaches.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

hahahaha, not men in uniform, what does this really mean, police/army out of uniform?, reds or yellows?, this is just another load of crap from the police. You can bet that the ones they cannot point the finger at are reds(the protester shot) as they have to be protected at all costs because thaksin has told them. They find the ones that attack the red's easily enough but cannot find any of the reds that attack the protesters or simply let them go so they can leave the country, why is that.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

"National Police chief Adul Saengsingkaew said the authorities have the names of several suspects"

And then.......

Deputy National Police chief Ake Angsananond said police were accumulating evidence to take action

I you have the names, bloody, take action now and arrest them, before they disappear.

Edited by metisdead
Itallics removed.

LAK SI CLASH
Court rejects arrest warrants for suspects, citing lack of evidence

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court on Thursday declined to approve arrest warrants sought by police for three men seen carrying and firing weapons during the shooting at the Lak Si area earlier this month.

It said that pictorial evidence obtained from social media alone was not sufficient. Suspect Wiwat Yordprasit is accused of being the so-called "popcorn gunman" who fired an automatic weapon from a large plastic sack. Police said Wiwat is also wanted on a drug-related offence.

The other man whose face has been seen in images is allegedly Surachet Treenoppharat, while the third man was identified merely as Danai.

Police have identified Surachat and Danai as security guards working for the antigovernment People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

The shooting took place on February 1, one day before the snap election, when PDRC protesters travelled to Lak Si district office to blockade a ballot-storage site inside the compound. They were confronted by a group of progovernment red shirts, and gunfights ensued, leaving six people wounded. An ongoing investigation has yet to determine which side opened fire, or whether there were armed men blending in with the redshirt crowd shooting at PDRC protesters.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-13

Court rejects photographic evidence.

You got to be kidding.

Is the gunman some rich guy's son or something?

What do they want? A signed statement from the gunman saying it was him?

Yep... The police were obviously attempting to frame someone from the PDRC. I would bet my ass on it.

Seriously? Suthep himself admitted that the gunmen in the photos were PDRC members. There's a whole thread on this here on ThaiVisa.

Apparently not even that is enough evidence for the courts.

Edited by ShannonT
  • Like 1

Yep... The police were obviously attempting to frame someone from the PDRC. I would bet my ass on it.

How would you get around without an ass? The claim is that this guy here is the Popcorn shooter based on matching dress when he had his hood raised.

1391837077-1622822611-o.jpg

The court has decided the evidence they were give isn't enough for an arrest. The case will simply be submitted with more evidence. Strange system, that they can't arrest him, question him under oath, determine his whereabouts, and search for weapons and forensic evidence, but that's the Thai system. You need the evidence to get the court to approve the arrest to get the evidence!

BgNAVToCQAAZbs6.jpg

• Like 1

How would you get around without an ass? The claim is that this guy here is the Popcorn shooter based on matching dress when he had his hood raised.

The court has decided the evidence they were give isn't enough for an arrest. The case will simply be submitted with more evidence. Strange system, that they can't arrest him, question him under oath, determine his whereabouts, and search for weapons and forensic evidence, but that's the Thai system. You need the evidence to get the court to approve the arrest to get the evidence!

It would seem you dislike this democratic system rolleyes.gif

Will they issue arrest warrants for those guys too?!!!

Arrest police officers for holding weapons?

Do pink elephants walk around in your dream world, too?

If there is an armed militia shooting at civilians on the streets, I would sure hope that the police have their weapons drawn, because it is their job.

If there is an armed militia shooting at civilians on the streets, I would sure hope that the police have their weapons drawn, because it is their job.

You mean Ms. Yingluck was lying when she said the police would be unarmed?

• Like 1

Not men in uniform !! I was there that Saturday and saw with my own eyes several police hiding among the civilians doing nothing . Several also took of their tunics in order to blend in with the sheltering public. A total disgrace to the nation and to humanity. Three of them went into a shop house in uniform and appeared 15 minutes later with t shirts. Many people saw what I witnessed and as such will have little respect for the opinion of any of the puppets in the police hierarchy.

Not men in uniform !! I was there that Saturday and saw with my own eyes several police hiding among the civilians doing nothing . Several also took of their tunics in order to blend in with the sheltering public. A total disgrace to the nation and to humanity. Three of them went into a shop house in uniform and appeared 15 minutes later with t shirts. Many people saw what I witnessed and as such will have little respect for the opinion of any of the puppets in the police hierarchy.

Weren't most unarmed? The military were also sheltering with the public as they were also unarmed. However, two armed police are seen in a video providing cover for people. Maybe they didn't do enough to help people get out of there (I'll take your word for it that they didn't as you were there), but you have to bear in mind most ordinary police aren't trained to deal with armed clashes. If they'd started shooting at the PDRC militants there would've been complaints of police bias, and shooting at both sides isn't really going to help the situation either.

Where does democracy come into it?

In most countries, you arrest people promptly, they can then be tested for residue and other forensics and searched. The police have to release them on police bail within a time limit (varies per country), if they want longer for questioning they go to court.

The questioning forms part of the evidence for convictions, as does the forensics. If the police misused their powers, the court throws out the evidence.

By requiring lots of evidence for arrest first, it means the evidence collected by the arrest, is never collectable.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

hahahaha, not men in uniform, what does this really mean, police/army out of uniform?, reds or yellows?, this is just another load of crap from the police. You can bet that the ones they cannot point the finger at are reds(the protester shot) as they have to be protected at all costs because thaksin has told them. They find the ones that attack the red's easily enough but cannot find any of the reds that attack the protesters or simply let them go so they can leave the country, why is that.

Because as obviously demonstrated by pictorial evidence and both police and the Military involved it would seem to the unbiased mind that in this case only, it was the PRDC as the perps. The police didn't act as they were surrounded and out gunned. Time one should wake up and smell the coffee beans before sprouting such nonsense. Do the research dude...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Where does democracy come into it?

In most countries, you arrest people promptly, they can then be tested for residue and other forensics and searched. The police have to release them on police bail within a time limit (varies per country), if they want longer for questioning they go to court.

The questioning forms part of the evidence for convictions, as does the forensics. If the police misused their powers, the court throws out the evidence.

By requiring lots of evidence for arrest first, it means the evidence collected by the arrest, is never collectable.

Exactly. Imagine the Chechen bombers from the Boston attacks. If police had to first get an arrest warrant but the judge says that photos from social media who identified the bombers are not enough. By the time the judge (maybe) accepts the evidence, they will be long gone, along with all the evidence that could be used against them.

In any normal country, nobody would even require an arrest warrant from a judge for someone that runs around a capital with a heavy war weapon.

On the contrary, in most countries he would be shot dead by police for even pulling out that kind of weapon on the street.

My guess is that the shooter is a rich PDRC supporter's son who went to play Rambo.

• Like 1

You got to be kidding.

Seriously? Suthep himself admitted that the gunmen in the photos were PDRC members. There's a whole thread on this here on ThaiVisa.

This is protection of the innocent.

Thai judges are very civilized, unlike many other countries.

It's crystal clear what's really going on here to anyone willing to open their eyes for just a second.

Newsflash for you, Thai Police carry firearms. Riot police do not (well except for 2009/2010), but you can not expect that all police in Bangkok will lock down their firearms. Now, my personal stand on this is that a world where police do not carry anything at all is a safer world. But thats not what any side in Thailand want, and they do operate in an environment where they have to expect anyone that is up to no good also carry firearms.

• Like 1

And this incredible bureaucratic system for arrest that is shown here is exactly why Thailand have this nice reputation of being corrupt to the core. There is a significant difference between how the courts act depending on political side. Its not just money changing hands that is corruption, giving favors is a different side of the corruption coin.

Oh give it a rest, she said police facing protesters are not armed, not ordinary police, you really do like twisting things about to suit your fascist ideals.

You got to be kidding.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif You crack me up!

Oh give it a rest, she said police facing protesters are not armed, not ordinary police, you really do like twisting things about to suit your fascist ideals.

In his fascist ideal Thailand, police would be unarmed and Suthep militia members would be free to roam the streets with heavy war weapons.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

You got to be kidding.

The judges rule in Thailand. If anyone has any doubt about that, then just read about the court system in Thailand.

You can complain about the system on forums like this, but you are wasting your time because the judges are the ones who make the decisions, and they are put in place by the ultimate authority.

All we farangs and Thai voters can do is to complain about the lower level people like Suthep or Thaksin or Yingluck. We cannot influence the higher level system of judges.

If you want to get thrown into prison for offences like lese majeste, then complain. That's up to you.

• Like 1

This is just the courts being ridiculous and probably paid off

How can you frame someone when their mug and video evidence is all over the world ?

Arrest warrants are not a trial, you have a suspect you arrest them and interview. Its rare to frame someone here its far far more normal for guilty to get away without ever being arrested.

It sounds to me like you just want to protect the thugs and assassins of one camp as long as it suits you. You sure they arnt mercenaries ? im not id like to see these people caught and questioned or next time they could well be taking a shot at any colour or normal citizen

This isnt as far as im concerned a game when people are getting shot, injured or killed. These people need to be brought in and questioned and any other nations court wouldnt have come up with the ludicrous notion of lack of evidence to support an arrest, no ones been charged with anything they just want to arrest and question atm... they will have to resubmit and just add to the evidence.

Judicial system is as broken and corrupt as the rest of it.