Why Most Restaurants In Chiang Rai Serving Foods

dekbannok

:D Perhaps I am still very new in town (about 6 months), I have had problem finding a decent place to eat out. I heard the locals do not eat out much but certainly the expats do.

This is my experience:

1. CHINESE FOOD

Despite the fact that you can read road sign in Chinese (the only place in Thailand?) and there seem to be a faily large Chinese community (Thai Chinese , Taiwan, Hongkee or mainland Chinese) why isn't there a decent Chinese restaurant? The food at Yunnan truly is so bad that even my lab and panda won't eat it like the Thai saying "Ma mai de". There is one so so at a big hotel but then it is a pricey place even for a small family- not quite affordable.

2. FARANG FOOD

For lunch, both Wiang Inn and Rimkok offer great buffet with lots of farang food along with the normal Thai fare at reasonable affordable prices. Apart from the hotels (more are coming out now in Chiang Rai- see my May 26 posting on the Thailand Travel Form on this topic), there are only a few other places. I recently discovered 2 real Italian outfits, one in front of the Wang Come hotel and the other near the Chiang Rai Hospital. The Italian food near the night bazaar all are really fast food, run of the mill stuff not for someone like me who has been eating real Italian food for more than 30 years. Any French? Watch the tiny shop on Sangkongnoi clled Le Petit Cafe. just saw a sign a couple of days ago and wondered if a new French eatery is coming up.

3. THAI

The popular joint for most new visitors is Sabannga kantoke where one can sit on the fllor, eat his sticky rice and watch the dances. I like Thalungkham's BBQ and their best dish I crave for now and then- fried frog legs in garlic sauce. My English professor friend thought they did it better than many French restaurants he has been. Tong Tung at Airport Road is very lanna only for those who understand the food. I have yet to acquire a taste for northern cuisine that I feel very much Burmese influenced. Kao Soy is definitely originated from Burma and the best place to have it is behind Wang Kham Hotel, a shop owned by the famous CR artist Chalermchai's stepmother. There are lots of repros of his works on the walls. Cabbages & Condoms- they serve the normal Thai food with a good selection of wine. Their best dish I think is the chicken in Chinese herbs. In the day, the place is too dark and the live band too noisy. I still don't understand the mentality of most restaurants owners in CEI for having live bank for luch and dinner. They propably think their customers can't digest their foods without loud live music and songs???MK Suki - never go there for suki as I don't believe they wash there vegies thoroughly and they are not organic. In the long run, it can pose great danger to one's health. May try their roast duck some time. The best roast duck, pork BBQ. Hainan chicken rice is at Nakorn Pathom across THAI's office near the Odean Department Store. Barong near Rajabhat Univ. is a charming and romantic place with good Indo dances performed by the staff every weekend. But strangely they serve southern Thai food and not Indonesian as you might expect. The dish I like best is the famous Kao Yam.

That's all I know off. Where else can I go for more a rewarding experience???

4. Others ASIAN

Japanese- At Bhucha Cafe near Cabbages & Condom, I think Hana cooks many simple traditional dishes well. She also serves the best cappacino in town!

Another place near Wat Jetyod called Shinme. This very place used to house an Italian restaurant serving the best Italian food I ever had in CEI some 12 years ago when I first visited. There was also a Canton siki place nearby.

I think there is a Korean place across Shinme. Never been there, can't comment.

I see there are quite a number of Indians living in town. But no Indian restaurant?

As CEI develops further and with an increasing expat population, I think the reastaurant scene here will change for the better but how quick remained to be seen. For the time being, I thing the 1,000 baht per head dining party organized regularly will answer all the problems. Perhaps we can set a theme for each one like one for Italian, one for Indonesian, one for Japanese and one for BBQ etc...

I hope I have not sounded like a greedy gut. Just exploring my option for a meal out. I can do a CEI restaurant guide someday. Any takers? Don't believe what they say in the Lonely Planet if you are not a back-packers.

dekbannok :o

Here is Chiang rai , a small quiet town in Thailand. Not Ittaly or France.it is impossible to have exactly the same real taste for farang foods,unless u r open ur own resturant and cook by not hiring Thai chef. Just eat it...the result is the same..it will digest after a few hour ..then u will see its same!! same same!!!!!!!!

Here is Chiang rai , a small quiet town in Thailand. Not Ittaly or France.it is impossible to have exactly the same real taste for farang foods,unless u r open ur own resturant and cook by not hiring Thai chef. Just eat it...the result is the same..it will digest after a few hour ..then u will see its same!! same same!!!!!!!!

...and the award for the lamest post of the year goes to....

Do wish the 'Labanese' place would figure out how Americans eat (our Mexican food is certainly not recognized as such in Mexico!) - love a good falafel. had one there today, with water B54, lower price than it used to be but smaller too. Why should chick peas, and even rice and beans, be expensive here? really not sure... Do like the enchalada plate at Kae's Burrito, but the price!!!

The big Lebanese schwarma is just bread and fried meat (what are they thinking?)

Dek Ban Nok - I think the phrase is "ma mai dak". It's considered quite offensive, but I find it goes quite well with the music of some of the ice-cream carts ("Ma mai dak, ma mai dak, ma mai koei dai dak!")

My favorite for a big dinner splurge for a while was Chai Nam, near Yunnan (never any customers there, wonder why so many staff?) - they were packed out weekends for a while, even had comedians one night. And jumbo shrimp (for military intelligence? what do you call those phrases whose words contradict each other?) Then it seemed to slack off, and Ekocha became a hit. I was very impressed with Ekocha's sauces. Both places have good-looking staff (so does KhumJaoNang, but Chaba behind it is nicer - somehow the food seems a little better too, though from the same kitchen)

'Nice Kitchen' on Jed Yot isn't at all bad for lunch, nor is the Khao man gai place near Edison (although they always run out way too soon). PawJai on Jed Yod by the WiangKhom has the best taste treat in town, I'm sure - good price, pleasant service, popular... There's a good Khao man gai/Khao mok gai place at the Ha-yaek, out on the sidewalk, evenings after dark. And the PhadThai palce at the corner by the night bazaar's back soi is pretty good. But yeah, all that's pretty slim pickings.

Kai pad pak met mahmuang at Siam Corner is excellent - I imagine the steaks are too, but much prefer to do mine at home (salmon steaks at BKK Grill - hospital food!)

I expect come October there'll be a bunch of new places. la Petit Cafe, when on SanKhongLuang, had mostly caffeine drinks and deserts, but was nice.

And of course there's always Dairy Queen and KFC :o

Some people live to eat and some people eat to live. I am the ladder. Macaronni and cheese is the cat's meow with me. I dissagree with the comment that the food here isn't fit to feed a pig. There are exellent places to get a descent meal. If your not satisfied with the local kitchens, then make it yourself at home. :o

Some people live to eat and some people eat to live. I am the ladder. Macaronni and cheese is the cat's meow with me. I dissagree with the comment that the food here isn't fit to feed a pig. There are exellent places to get a descent meal. If your not satisfied with the local kitchens, then make it yourself at home. :o

I agree with you.I think there are ample places for us to try different foods in Chiang Rai.

Right now I am looking forward to roast stuffed Chicken with carrots and boiled potatoes, at home.

Eroy mak makkkkkkk.

Back in the early 1990's, Chiang Rai had better Farang restaurants and nightlife than Chiang Mai.

The Italian restaurant near the clocktower on the little soi was GREAT, and bar girls used to go around to the cheap guesthouses in the daytime looking for "friends" for a nominal fee.

Not any more though... :o

There is a saying in Japan or China that good food and sex are human nature. Therefore, I believe everybody enjoy good food and good sex not necessary daily as too much of a good thing can be bad for you. Those who think otherwise should consider going to live in the temple where they eat only 2 meals a day and eat whatever they are given by their patrons. I am seriously considering doing that when I am too desperate for both!!!

dekbannok

:D Perhaps I am still very new in town (about 6 months), I have had problem finding a decent place to eat out. I heard the locals do not eat out much but certainly the expats do.

This is my experience:

1. CHINESE FOOD

Despite the fact that you can read road sign in Chinese (the only place in Thailand?) and there seem to be a faily large Chinese community (Thai Chinese , Taiwan, Hongkee or mainland Chinese) why isn't there a decent Chinese restaurant? The food at Yunnan truly is so bad that even my lab and panda won't eat it like the Thai saying "Ma mai de". There is one so so at a big hotel but then it is a pricey place even for a small family- not quite affordable.

2. FARANG FOOD

For lunch, both Wiang Inn and Rimkok offer great buffet with lots of farang food along with the normal Thai fare at reasonable affordable prices. Apart from the hotels (more are coming out now in Chiang Rai- see my May 26 posting on the Thailand Travel Form on this topic), there are only a few other places. I recently discovered 2 real Italian outfits, one in front of the Wang Come hotel and the other near the Chiang Rai Hospital. The Italian food near the night bazaar all are really fast food, run of the mill stuff not for someone like me who has been eating real Italian food for more than 30 years. Any French? Watch the tiny shop on Sangkongnoi clled Le Petit Cafe. just saw a sign a couple of days ago and wondered if a new French eatery is coming up.

3. THAI

The popular joint for most new visitors is Sabannga kantoke where one can sit on the fllor, eat his sticky rice and watch the dances. I like Thalungkham's BBQ and their best dish I crave for now and then- fried frog legs in garlic sauce. My English professor friend thought they did it better than many French restaurants he has been. Tong Tung at Airport Road is very lanna only for those who understand the food. I have yet to acquire a taste for northern cuisine that I feel very much Burmese influenced. Kao Soy is definitely originated from Burma and the best place to have it is behind Wang Kham Hotel, a shop owned by the famous CR artist Chalermchai's stepmother. There are lots of repros of his works on the walls. Cabbages & Condoms- they serve the normal Thai food with a good selection of wine. Their best dish I think is the chicken in Chinese herbs. In the day, the place is too dark and the live band too noisy. I still don't understand the mentality of most restaurants owners in CEI for having live bank for luch and dinner. They propably think their customers can't digest their foods without loud live music and songs???MK Suki - never go there for suki as I don't believe they wash there vegies thoroughly and they are not organic. In the long run, it can pose great danger to one's health. May try their roast duck some time. The best roast duck, pork BBQ. Hainan chicken rice is at Nakorn Pathom across THAI's office near the Odean Department Store. Barong near Rajabhat Univ. is a charming and romantic place with good Indo dances performed by the staff every weekend. But strangely they serve southern Thai food and not Indonesian as you might expect. The dish I like best is the famous Kao Yam.

That's all I know off. Where else can I go for more a rewarding experience???

4. Others ASIAN

Japanese- At Bhucha Cafe near Cabbages & Condom, I think Hana cooks many simple traditional dishes well. She also serves the best cappacino in town!

Another place near Wat Jetyod called Shinme. This very place used to house an Italian restaurant serving the best Italian food I ever had in CEI some 12 years ago when I first visited. There was also a Canton siki place nearby.

I think there is a Korean place across Shinme. Never been there, can't comment.

I see there are quite a number of Indians living in town. But no Indian restaurant?

As CEI develops further and with an increasing expat population, I think the reastaurant scene here will change for the better but how quick remained to be seen. For the time being, I thing the 1,000 baht per head dining party organized regularly will answer all the problems. Perhaps we can set a theme for each one like one for Italian, one for Indonesian, one for Japanese and one for BBQ etc...

I hope I have not sounded like a greedy gut. Just exploring my option for a meal out. I can do a CEI restaurant guide someday. Any takers? Don't believe what they say in the Lonely Planet if you are not a back-packers.

dekbannok :o

During your 6 months here you seem to have filled your “greedy gut” with all the unpalatable offerings available at Chiang Rai eating establishments. You’ve been kind enough to provide us with your critique of these places – all negative – then try to interest us in a Chiang Rai restaurant guide authored by you. What more do you have to say on the subject? And, your expertise comes from where?

Jeez, another newcomer becomes an instant expert on Chiang Rai.

:D Mymechew

During your 6 months here you seem to have filled your “greedy gut” with all the unpalatable offerings available at Chiang Rai eating establishments. You’ve been kind enough to provide us with your critique of these places – all negative – then try to interest us in a Chiang Rai restaurant guide authored by you. What more do you have to say on the subject? And, your expertise comes from where?

:o Mymechew

Agree! I have been here more than 4 years and I have no problem to find good restaurants with good food. I also have had more than 20 visitors from my homecountry and they have all been impressed with the variety of good restaurants with good food here in CR.

So I am very happy with the restaurants here in CR AND I know there are many good ones I have not visited so far and I am looking forward read about them in TV and to go there!

:D

Gratulations dear Unknown User!

You are going to be greatest winner of awards on this forum:

From me you get the award for the most basic, logical and true posting of the month.

I am sure Marco agrees that these awards won't bite each other :D

Limbo :o

PS: Let us hear some gossip among the students of Mae Fah Luang University about their 'farang' teachers. Might be fun :D

My Dear Mymechew:

Thank you so much for your very kind comment. You made my day!!! Ha ha ha!!! That's exactly the kind of response I wanted when I posted this provocative topic. Like art, if it is not provocative, no response, BIG FAILURE! Now I feel my topic is a great sucess especailly getting such response from you. Go ahead, pPlease send more very negative nasty comments. I love it.

I stated clearly that I am not a greedy gut and I don't eat out daily. I do want to explore good places in CEI to go myself and with friends and visitors. To clear your doubt how much I know about food, I have been flying around the world for more 30 years on a big US corporate expenses account. Sure, I have eaten in some of the world's best restaurants including the Normandy Grill in The Oriental. But I don't try to compare them with what we have in CEI. I said I was looking only for some "decent places".

Being a dek mai in CEI certainly deseve no bully especiall big bully from someone like you I believe only a few months older than me. Just a reminder, you are on the border of flaming another member. Suggest you go back to read the rules.

I thank all those who have posted nice suggestions especially Joel barlow giving exactly the place's name so that members of the forum can go to try out on their own. Thanks for correcting my Thai Joel.

I can't claim to be an expert on CEI in 6 months. I certainly have learnt faster than you who have been dongky years and have forgotten how to learn. By the way, I have been been a regular visitor to CEI in the past 15 years sometimes staying for more than a month. That's why know many of the older local restaurants if they are still around. Yunnan has been around for a long time and it is a sad case as they basically cater for Chinese package tours that go for quantity and not quality.

I certaily have some other better things to do than to put out a guide on CEI restaurant. The "GUIDE" is right here on this forum...are you duxx???

Dekmai :o

:D Mymechew

Gentlemen, gentlemen!

Put these ingredients on a plate, try to eat them with chopsticks

and see if they fill the belly (=old Islandic wisdom).

Being a hobby cook myself (I just succesfully microwaved a stuffed bean-curd soup which I bought fresh in Big C a couple of days ago) I felt that the title of Dek's thread is indeed a little bit harsh towards my professional colleagues here in town.

As I regularly consume the results of their cooking myself I felt in a way declassified to pigstatus.

It might have been a similar sentiment which was the bearer of Mymechews wordings.

We support our local cooks!

Let us embrace one the finest virtues in Thai culture: To avoid confrontation!

PS: "Being a dek mai in CEI certainly deserves no bully ... from someone like you I believe only a few months older than me".

The first part of this statement is absolutely true, but the second isn't.

Gratulations dear Unknown User!

You are going to be greatest winner of awards on this forum:

From me you get the award for the most basic, logical and true posting of the month.

I am sure Marco agrees that these awards won't bite each other :D

PS: Let us hear some gossip among the students of Mae Fah Luang University about their 'farang' teachers. Might be fun :D

hahaha thanks Dr.Limbo . i have so many stories about students and teachers here since i work for them as a TA. some thai teacher like to gossip tho, even i didnt ask... but fun!! no harm.. and yes some farang teacher ###### talk non-stop!! i cant believe that is adult behave!

Dear Limbo:

Many thanks for your diplomatic response. I hope every one read my initial posting very carefully. In the title, I said "most" restaurants and "all" restaurants. I also gave credit to quite a few of the restaurants mentioned and their special dishes etc...Therefore, they were not ALL NEGATIVE comments as claimed by a certain idxxt!

Dekmai

Gentlemen, gentlemen!

Put these ingredients on a plate, try to eat them with chopsticks

and see if they fill the belly (=old Islandic wisdom).

Being a hobby cook myself (I just succesfully microwaved a stuffed bean-curd soup which I bought fresh in Big C a couple of days ago) I felt that the title of Dek's thread is indeed a little bit harsh towards my professional colleagues here in town.

As I regularly consume the results of their cooking myself I felt in a way declassified to pigstatus.

It might have been a similar sentiment which was the bearer of Mymechews wordings.

We support our local cooks!

Let us embrace one the finest virtues in Thai culture: To avoid confrontation!

PS: "Being a dek mai in CEI certainly deserves no bully ... from someone like you I believe only a few months older than me".

The first part of this statement is absolutely true, but the second isn't.

Dear Limbo:

Many thanks for your diplomatic response. I hope every one read my initial posting very carefully. In the title, I said "most" restaurants and "all" restaurants. I also gave credit to quite a few of the restaurants mentioned and their special dishes etc...Therefore, they were not ALL NEGATIVE comments as claimed by a certain idxxt!

Don't let us put salt on snails!

Whoever Mymechew is, he is certainly not an idiot. He is one of my most respected friends in this town. The same town we all choosed to live. So let us be nice to each other!

You lived in Hongkong and Bangkok, big towns. There you can, sitting anonymously in your car, put up your middle finger to strangers. In Chiang Rai however you are going to meet them a thousand times.

PS: I told my befriended cooks not to poison you when you show up :D

whats all the fuss about,why does everyone want to put the boxing gloves on nowadays, even just talking about noodle shops and restaurants.surely we have all got the nouse to follow the crowd and then make our own minds up,for me i followed the noodle crowd 15 years ago to the shop opp thai inter, and for beef noodles you wont get any better than the shop about 200 metres past the clock tower on the right hand side(formerly opp edisons )for me what makes theese 2 shops stand out is the stock they make for the soup and over the years the many many friends i have had a lunchtime bowl of noodles with in theese 2 establishments, some times waiting patiently ouside for a seat proves to me that you cant get better than the best. i would just like to mention a little kao soi shop out of the way so you cant follow the crowd but this woman makes the best kao soi in chaingrai(in my opinion)the way she makes the curry, its cavier compared to the dish water they serve at the big c and what value for 15 baht, the shop is 150 metres off the highway soi 7 rimcock side (behind the 3 furniture shops and the esso garage) most times if you go after 12-30 she has sold out .

dont no much about the restaurants in chaingrai has i live on the outskirts and dont go in much in the evening plus the fact i married the best cook in chaingrai anyway

Ya, I agree with you Limbo. CEI is such a small town that if we are not nice to each other, we will end up having the entire population as enemy.

I stated in my posting that I was not a greedy gut and to be called one was not acceptable. So you see I did not start this melee.

No, I will still be nice to Mymechew if I meet him. I said he was a few months older tham me in this forum and not my actual age.

dekbannok :D

Dear Limbo:

Don't let us put salt on snails!

Whoever Mymechew is, he is certainly not an idiot. He is one of my most respected friends in this town. The same town we all choosed to live. So let us be nice to each other!

You lived in Hongkong and Bangkok, big towns. There you can, sitting anonymously in your car, put up your middle finger to strangers. In Chiang Rai however you are going to meet them a thousand times.

PS: I told my befriended cooks not to poison you when you show up :D

Dr.Limbo, jai yen yen.....everything will be ok....

khun dekbannok...think before post (i didnt mean ur post is bad but as u r adult try to avoid to say things that can be taboo here or racist or insulting ppl) thats all then we can live happily here in a small town....

----Peace----

Thanks Unknown_User!

Do you think Soap noticed that you talked about the same places which also are his favourites?

And mentioned the Thai names 'Nua woa Lod yiem' and 'Na Korn Phatom'?

But what about the third one?

Soap wrote:

i would just like to mention a little kao soi shop out of the way ... but this woman makes the best kao soi in chaingrai(in my opinion) .... the shop is 150 metres off the highway soi 7 rimcock side (behind the 3 furniture shops and the esso garage) most times if you go after 12-30 she has sold out .

And you wrote:

one more for Kaw soi noodle... there is a small resturant that have kow sai kai and kow soi nue (chicken and beef) ,located on the way to Mae fah luang university, around Baan den area. they serve good taste of kaw soi and not expensive .... (i didnt go there for ages...but i would like to eat there again....)

Do you think it might be the same shop?

Hey, Limbo:

My bottle of dimple is not yet opened as I am waiting for you to share it with me!!!

I am hoping to see more sense of humor and tolerence in this forum in future. I have almost decided to declare quitting this forum if it were not for you such an understanding moderator.

No, I think Soap has mentioned a place for beef noodle about 200m from the cloack tower I have been trying to find. I have other friends who have recommended. The kao soy place she mentioned is also new to me as the place behind Wang Kham hotel is not 15baht but 25b or 30b. I will check it out. Thanks, Soap. I love noodle and have it almost everyday. Favorite is Japanese Sapporo Miso Ramen I cook at home as I have not come across any in the local restaurant. And of course Phat Thai, Lat Na.

Dek

Dear Dekbannok,

I started my career here at Thaivisa by being banned :o

I am looking forward to your future postings.

:D:D:D

Limbo :D

PS: Dek, did you open that bottle of Dimple already?

Digestion: the GREAT LEVELER :D

(Except notice how some foods from some street vendors put a "kick" into that digestion process? And the end result is "same, same -- but different?" I am sure applies in Chiang Rai, too. ) :o

Edited by toptuan

ummm...i think not the same place @ Dr.Lim coz i didnt noticed any esso garage there.. or maybe i need more glasses? let me check again when i have chance to go to town and pass that place...

Mr Soap's cheap kow soi is here

post-21591-1148986439_thumb.jpg

About 1/2 kilo north of the 2nd stop light over the bridge.

If you are a Kow soi lover, the best in town is at the Santiburi golf course, but you won't be getting it for 15 bt.

Dear Dekbannok,

I started my career here at Thaivisa by being banned :o

I am looking forward to your future postings.

:D:D:D

Limbo :D

PS: Dek, did you open that bottle of Dimple already?

Banned , who's banned.

Not another moron trying to wield the axe and say I'm super moderator..

I know one of these guys, I think he's in ..... but he thinks he's still in ..... and if he bans enough people then he gets his ass licked by another feeble minded dribbler with a post count, the same as the number of bar persons in Pattaya.

Limbo banned.........never.

-------------

Tayto, this same Limbo (who was banned for a week for good reasons) is going to ban you personally if you present us this dribble again. Why not get yet your harvester out of the stable again?

What happened here in this topic? Did the aggressive title make you aggressive as well?

This topic seems to be about ego's for Dekbannok and you, which was the reason for me to close it.

Limbo.

Edited by Limbo