Phuket bar-dancing Swede dies in fall

webfact

Phuket bar-dancing Swede dies in fall
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Swedish tourist died early this morning (February 18) after a fall while dancing on a bar in the Otop Market area in Patong.

Police were called to the Dar and Daniel bar at about half past midnight. There they found the body of the 58-year-old, who had been staying at Karlsson’s Hotel & Restaurant in Soi Post Office.

Officers were told that the Swede had been drinking with friends and had climbed up on the bar and started dancing. He stumbled and fell head-first onto the concrete floor, dying, it is believed, from a broken neck.

The body was taken to Patong Hospital for autopsy. The man’s name is being withheld until his family have been informed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bar-dancing-swede-dies-in-fall-44671.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-02-18

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...note to self.... no dancing on a table when drunk.

RIP. At least he died happy.

Read the story again, there is no reference to the guy dancing on a 'table', he was dancing on the "bar".

Dancing on the table is a generic term for acting like an idiot when drunk where I come from in America.

What does a "generic term" have to do with either a bar or a table?

This guy falls about 1.5m and dies.

This guy falls 18 floors and lives.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/597755-australian-man-falls-from-18th-storey-balcony-at-patong-hotel/

I would have thought dancing drunk on a bar would have put you at a higher risk of a broken wrist or ankle, but not death. Just goes to show, when your number is up, it's up.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.

Edited by NamKangMan

This guy falls about 1.5m and dies.

This guy falls 18 floors and lives.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/597755-australian-man-falls-from-18th-storey-balcony-at-patong-hotel/

I would have thought dancing drunk on a bar would have put you at a higher risk of a broken wrist or ankle, but not death. Just goes to show, when your number is up, it's up.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.

RIP to the guy..i guess he was happy as..right to the end..

"Just goes to show, when your number is up, it's up."

There you go..something in common at last..i've said and believed this all my life...smile.png

• Like 2

Read the story again, there is no reference to the guy dancing on a 'table', he was dancing on the "bar".

Dancing on the table is a generic term for acting like an idiot when drunk where I come from in America.

I agree....saw loads of them in bars, when I lived in North America.

Tragic accident, in many ways the alternative could have been worse with a broken neck.......quadriplegia.

• Like 1

Swedish tourist falls to death from slippery Phuket bar
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: - A Swedish tourist fell to his death early this morning while dancing on top of a bar counter in Patong.

“Witnesses in the bar said that the man had been drinking before he decided to climb onto the countertop and dance,” said a Kusoldharm Patong rescue foundation worker.

“The bar was wet and slippery. He slipped and hit his head hard on the ground,” said the worker.

Rescuers were alerted at 1am today of the accident and rushed to the scene, near the OTOP Market in Patong.

When they arrived, they found the body of Lars Hasselberg, 57, on the ground.

“We did not see any blood or wounds on his body,” said the rescue worker.

“Mr Hasselberg died as a result of severe head trauma,” Patong Hospital Director Dr Sirichai Silapa-acha told the Phuket Gazette.

The Swedish embassy has been notified of Mr Hasselberg's death.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Swedish-tourist-falls-to-death-from-slippery-Phuket-bar-25623.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-18

I saw this same thing happen about a year ago at a go go here in Pattaya. Super drunk guy gets up on stage and then falls while getting down. Major fall. Luckily, he didn't seem to have suffered any injuries.

RIP to this man.

Did you mean to say same but different? No death in your story so not the same thing.

Social Darwinism in operation. RIP.

From Wikipedia:

"noun: social Darwinism
  1. 1.
    the theory that individuals, groups, and peoples are subject to the same Darwinian laws of natural selection as plants and animals. Now largely discredited, social Darwinism was advocated by Herbert Spencer and others in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was used to justify political conservatism, imperialism, and racism and to discourage intervention and reform."
    Would seem to have little to do with a man being a bit foolish after drinking.
    R.I.P. indeed.

Actually, if readers of the forum will forgive what might sound insensitive, to end one's life while dancing and happy and being silly with relatively or no pain (I assume) or pain for a brief moment might not be the worst way to end, there are many worse ways so perhaps it's not as tragic or even silly but maybe the best he could have endured, maybe...It's actually one of the best deaths I have heard of in a long time. No offense to his beloved grieving friends or family---

I would imagine that he would rather have lived than become "one of the best deaths.........".

Put it another way, rather him than me.

I think it's safe to say that dancing on a table would be as unsafe as dancing on a bar. Perhaps more so. This is an example of generalised learning. You should try it some time...