Thai anti-graft panel says it will charge PM Yingluck

webfact

You're right in saying the issue is how much the scheme will cost taxpayers. The whole corruption issue is a red herring. Agricultural subsidies are a normal way of redistributing wealth but the wealthy in Thailand want to keep it all to themselves.

I dont think anyone has a problem with the Rice Pledging Scheme (Agricultural subsidies) par se, the real problem here is only a small percentage of the money actually gets to the Farmers and there is no transparency in the slightest when it comes to the scheme.

If the scheme were transparent, with minimal/no corruption, the money was actually getting to the farmers, instead of going in corrupt politicians and greedy fat cats, then the rice scheme would be acceptable... perhaps they need to tweak numbers a little so that would work properly... but as it stands right now its just a big sinkhole that the current administration is just throwing buckets of cash into and thats the last anyone sees of it.. when the farmers come to collect their pay... theres none to be had. When the rice comes to be inspected it spontaniously combusts or is already rotten and no good for animal feed...

What evidence supports those claims? The reasons farmers are not getting paid is because Suthep's antics have made it impossible to borrow money to pay them.

More red village BS from you two. The reason they have not paid the farmers is simple. they haven't sold the rice, the scheme/scam is riddled with corruption and the caretaker government made no plans to pay the farmers before YL dissolved parliament.

The banks won't lend PTP money, they are an extremely bad risk. Billions of baht have gone missing and there's no transparency and accountability. Kittirat is a laughing stock, even to the farmers he met.

But, hey, keep up the "It's all Suthep's fault" mantra, it won't be long now before Yingluck is sitting squirming in a court wishing she'd never allowed herself to assume the position.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somehow, I think this is not the end of the Shinwatra’s. They will more than likely have another proxy lined up to replace her as soon as they get the whisper that it’s time to cut and run or hide out in Chang Mai for-a-while. This anarchy is becoming so boring now; it’s like watching an old b/w rerun of 'Gone with the Wind'.

I dont think anyone has a problem with the Rice Pledging Scheme (Agricultural subsidies) par se, the real problem here is only a small percentage of the money actually gets to the Farmers and there is no transparency in the slightest when it comes to the scheme.

If the scheme were transparent, with minimal/no corruption, the money was actually getting to the farmers, instead of going in corrupt politicians and greedy fat cats, then the rice scheme would be acceptable... perhaps they need to tweak numbers a little so that would work properly... but as it stands right now its just a big sinkhole that the current administration is just throwing buckets of cash into and thats the last anyone sees of it.. when the farmers come to collect their pay... theres none to be had. When the rice comes to be inspected it spontaniously combusts or is already rotten and no good for animal feed...

What evidence supports those claims? The reasons farmers are not getting paid is because Suthep's antics have made it impossible to borrow money to pay them.

The reason the farmers are not getting their money since months before the protests is because the government couldn't sell the overpriced rice they had bought, no money coming in, funds run out, no money goes out to the farmers. It's not very complicated to grasp, is it?

Pay attention to the date of the article, September 12, 2013:

One more:

Mid November "BAAC president Luck Wajananawat admitted today of the delayed payment of more than a month for the second crop rice" farmers not being paid for more than a month before.

ThaiVisa has a search function, dig in and you'll find more like the quoted article.

Edited by AleG

So here is the "evidence" of Yingluck's "negligence":

1) she had been warned by many organisations of POSSIBLE massive damage and corruption in the scheme.

2) the scheme COULD cause massive corruption in every stage of the process.

3) she was asked to review and halt the programme had many irregularities and corruption.

4) rice farmers who entered the program have not yet received payment and are now in serious financial difficulty.

5) she was negligent to duty by continuing with the program which resulted in severe damage to the country.

This is simply without any apparent concrete evidence and looks more like a political assination attempt. Even some of the anti-graft panel members appear to have a conflict of interest (aka corruption) as being financial supporters of Suthep's anti-government protesters. The major "witnesses" are current or former Democrat party supporters with no supporting accounts from anyone in the current administration or unrelated third parties. There is mention of "documents" but no details have been disclosed. From a 3rd party perspective there may be enough to question Yingluck about alleged corruption, maybe even enough to charge her, but until there is more hard, unbiased evidence to collaborate her "negligence" (which would not be criminal in any event), I don't see how she could be held guilty. But even if she was found to be negligent, does that just mean she just promises not to be negligent in the future and continues on as PM?

Even some of the anti-graft panel members appear to have a conflict of interest (aka corruption) as being financial supporters of Suthep's anti-government protesters.

So your saying financially supporting suthep's movement = corruption. How's that?

Do you really believe that the announcement today by the NACC should include every detail of the evidence? On the other hand there is an argument that the NACC would not have made it's statements today without having clear & supportive evidence of the charges. Is anybody saying today that she has already been found to be guilty?

But even if she was found to be negligent, does that just mean she just promises not to be negligent in the future and continues on as PM? What does that mean?

Somehow, I think this is not the end of the Shinwatra’s. They will more than likely have another proxy lined up to replace her as soon as they get the whisper that it’s time to cut and run or hide out in Chang Mai for-a-while. This anarchy is becoming so boring now; it’s like watching an old b/w rerun of 'Gone with the Wind'.

post-9891-0-60590300-1392736241_thumb.jp post-9891-0-63380100-1392736707_thumb.jp

Thaksin, Thaksin.....where shall I go, what shall I do? Frankly my dear, I don't give a dam_n.

• Like 1

Just wait for Yingluck to be sentenced by the kangaroo court.

It won't be Gone with the Wind. Bangkok will resemble the set of a post apocalyptic horror movie when the red shirts are through.

There were late payments before Suthep's antics started but the reason it has now gone on for so long is because the government is unable to borrow money to pay the farmers. I hear a lot of ranting about corruption in the scheme but still no evidence.

Hellooo there edward. There is no Governmentl. We are in a country with a "caretaker " party with no real borrowing powers to begin with and the banks unwilling to lend to them, as I said before, they are an extremely bad risk.

It's sometimes called being up to your arse in alligators.

They've tried begging and borrowing, maybe they'll have to steal...............whistling.gif

• Like 1

So here is the "evidence" of Yingluck's "negligence":

1) she had been warned by many organisations of POSSIBLE massive damage and corruption in the scheme.

2) the scheme COULD cause massive corruption in every stage of the process.

3) she was asked to review and halt the programme had many irregularities and corruption.

4) rice farmers who entered the program have not yet received payment and are now in serious financial difficulty.

5) she was negligent to duty by continuing with the program which resulted in severe damage to the country.

This is simply without any apparent concrete evidence and looks more like a political assination attempt. Even some of the anti-graft panel members appear to have a conflict of interest (aka corruption) as being financial supporters of Suthep's anti-government protesters. The major "witnesses" are current or former Democrat party supporters with no supporting accounts from anyone in the current administration or unrelated third parties. There is mention of "documents" but no details have been disclosed. From a 3rd party perspective there may be enough to question Yingluck about alleged corruption, maybe even enough to charge her, but until there is more hard, unbiased evidence to collaborate her "negligence" (which would not be criminal in any event), I don't see how she could be held guilty. But even if she was found to be negligent, does that just mean she just promises not to be negligent in the future and continues on as PM?

No. Here are the highlights..We are not privy to the evidence.. But i'm sure anyone living in rice producing areas could make inquires about the rice in the local warehouses etc

The witnesses are the Democrat MP's because in opposition that's their job do you honestly think that a Phua Thai politician is going to investigate Yingluck. In fact there have been several ministry people who have attempted to disclose facts only to be sidelined or sacked.

There were late payments before Suthep's antics started but the reason it has now gone on for so long is because the government is unable to borrow money to pay the farmers. I hear a lot of ranting about corruption in the scheme but still no evidence.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/warong-says-pm-aware-fake-g-g-rice-deals-china/

Ex-Democrat MP Warong Dejkitwikrom told the probe panel of the National Anti-Corruption Commission today that he believed caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was fully aware of the fake government-to-government rice deal between Thailand and China but did nothing about it.

Dr Warong, the “whistle-blower” who exposed the suspected massive corruption in the government’s rice pledging scheme, including the fake G-to-G deals with China, told the probe panel that Ms Yingluck, in her capacity as the chair of the National Rice Policy Committee, knew every step about the deals but chose not to do anything or to suspend the deals

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/warong-says-pm-aware-fake-g-g-rice-deals-china/

Ex-Democrat MP Warong Dejkitwikrom told the probe panel of the National Anti-Corruption Commission today that he believed caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was fully aware of the fake government-to-government rice deal between Thailand and China but did nothing about it.

Dr Warong, the “whistle-blower” who exposed the suspected massive corruption in the government’s rice pledging scheme, including the fake G-to-G deals with China, told the probe panel that Ms Yingluck, in her capacity as the chair of the National Rice Policy Committee, knew every step about the deals but chose not to do anything or to suspend the deals

The words of an ex-Democrat MP is not evidence. Is that really the best you can come up with?

'Anti-graft agency resolves to charge caretaker PM for neglect of duty in rice pledging scheme case, summons her to hear charges on Feb 27 /MCOT'

hey, is it a corruption charge, or is just 'neglect of duty' ? well, not so familiar with these Thai legal expression . . .

It's neither.

real media who are not supporting and angling for a coup are stating the following.

"She is not charged, the phrase means she is being informed of allegations being made against her"

So, no charges and nothing imminent judicial coup wise.

Pity all you clever people who support suthep have no thai friends and don't know anything about the confilct other than Bluesky and Nation propaganda.

NACC spokesman and head of the probe team Vicha Mahakhun said Ms Yingluck would be notified to show up at the NACC’s head office on February 27 at about 2 pm to acknowledge to charges to be formally lodged against her.

He explained that the case against Ms Yingluck is divided into two parts. The first part concerns the criminal charges against her which will be decided by the attorney-general and the second part regarding the impeachment process which is to be undertaken by the Senate.

The words of an ex-Democrat MP is not evidence. Is that really the best you can come up with?

If there's no corruption, where's the money gone? Certainly not to the farmers...

Also the NACC has charged many ministers with corruption, so clearly believe they have enough evidence of it.

Having said that they are innocent until proven guilty, so let's wait and see shall we? Certainly nobody on TV is going to come up with enough evidence to satisfy anybody tonight.

Edited by thaifoolishness
  • Like 1

What's the bet she refuses to even turn up to acknowledge the charges. rolleyes.gif

that will make her automatically guilty. I don't think she can leave the country now. To much damage done to the country and very often in a criminal way.

This corrupt govt could be taken in a jiffy.

part one of the reform must be an independent powerful control over details in book keeping and accounting. Roll back to the contractors, all, check the books and feasibility. If you go back five years from here you will find trillions of Baht and where it leaked.

After impeachment she will be personally liable for lots of damages caused by her and others alleged criminal neglect.

Three civilians and one policeman were killed today.

Why would the protesters want a violence when she, her minions and puppeteers are already cornered?

Edited by wealth
  • Like 2

And if the scheme is not corrupt then she has nothing to worry about. Though I don't hold much faith in that going by the body language below

Or this

1. Nattawut on Protests

2. Nattawut on Democracy

3. Nattawut on Rice Policy

And Nuttawat also carried out the "big" inspections of some 2500 rice storage facilities...(in 3 days or something stupid) and discovered that everything was in order .....no irregularities except for some very minor issues.....

Another useless piece of garbage!

He is also active in the transport sector.

Nattawut Transport company carrys rice bags across the country back and forth.

I think he gets his transfer orders directly from the government.

The conflict between client and contractor is obvious.

Would like to see the tender documents.

In any other country the tax authorities would have locked him into prison already.

Now that she will be charged, what are the chances she will have to resign?

Apirak, who was later found not-guilty, resigned shortly after being elected Bangkok Governor because he was charged in Fire truck/boat Scandal. He set the example. Will Madam PM do like-wised? I would bet not.

• Like 1

Now that she will be charged, what are the chances she will have to resign?

Apirak, who was later found not-guilty, resigned shortly after being elected Bangkok Governor because he was charged in Fire truck/boat Scandal. He set the example. Will Madam PM do like-wised? I would bet not.

Sadly, I think you are right. She won't resign, she'll refuse to attend the NACC hearing and just keep procrastinating in the same way she now completely ignores the Ombudsman's questions on the illegal new passport her cousin issued to he crooked brother.

The Shins have shown many times they have no respect of the law, and certainly won't obey it unless it's in their interests.

They aren't going to give up the reins for anybody or anything and couldn't give a monkey's chuff about the consequences. How many of the clan are already out of Thailand just in case?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

The best solution for Thailand: Everybody out ! Let 's take a panel of young talented University graduated to run this country.

People between 30 and 40 without any political experience or affiliation.

A government of technicians: economists, graduated in political science, medicine, law, etc...

I mean a government of "nerds" ...young guys with pimples and eyeglasses. Tough guys who know what is working, sacrifice, etc and with great dosis of talent in their areas.

It can't be worse than now....

It's already being run by a PM with no experience and a lot of them have degrees.

Why not try some people with common sense instead of degrees. I've been dealing with university educated people for well over 40 years and I'm less than impressed.

• Like 2

Dr Warong, the whistle-blower who exposed the suspected massive corruption in the governments rice pledging scheme, including the fake G-to-G deals with China, told the probe panel that Ms Yingluck, in her capacity as the chair of the National Rice Policy Committee, knew every step about the deals but chose not to do anything or to suspend the deals

If there's no corruption, where's the money gone? Certainly not to the farmers...

Also the NACC has charged many ministers with corruption, so clearly believe they have enough evidence of it.

Having said that they are innocent until proven guilty, so let's wait and see shall we? Certainly nobody on TV is going to come up with enough evidence to satisfy anybody tonight.

Its sitting rotting in the warehouse.

You pay 15000 a tonne unmilled, then mill it so you lose 40%, so the value goes to 25000, then u store it at god knows what cost, and sell it for 12000.

U don't need to steal anything for the system to lose billions. That is where the money went.

• Like 1

NATIONAL ANTI-GRAFT AGENCY
Yingluck faces graft charges

Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation

NACC alleges dereliction of duty, negligence in rice scheme; move could lead premier's impeachment, prosecution

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday found grounds to press charges against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for alleged negligence and dereliction of duty over the controversial rice-pledging scheme, according to commission spokesman Vicha Mahakun.

The move is seen as a step to initiate impeachment proceedings against Yingluck, and to press charges for her criminal prosecution amid the political stalemate she has faced since last November.

However, Yingluck can continue her duties as caretaker PM until the NACC decides to indict her, Vicha said.

The anti-graft body summoned Yingluck to officially acknowledge the charges on February 27, Vicha said in a press statement.

He said the decision was made after the agency's investigation found evidence - both from witnesses and documents - that the premier, who is chairwoman of the National Rice Policy Committee, had been warned by many organisations of possible massive damage and corruption in the scheme.

Even the NACC warned in a written document that the scheme could cause widespread corruption in every stage of the process.

Moreover, Yingluck was informed of the apparent corruption that was occurring in the project during a censure debate. The chairman of a subcommittee on the rice-pledging audit said the scheme had caused losses of about Bt200 billion.

A large number of rice farmers who entered the programme have not yet received payment and are now in serious financial difficulties, the NACC statement said.

The Auditor General's Office had issued an earlier warning, asking her to review and halt the programme, which it said had many irregularities and was plagued with corruption.

Rather than halting the project, Yingluck pushed ahead with the programme. This clearly demonstrated her negligence resulting in severe damage to the country, Vicha said.

Earlier, the agency charged two former ministers together with 13 other people over their alleged involvement in fraudulent rice deals. Former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and former deputy commerce minister Poom Sarapol are scheduled to give their accounts to the NACC tomorrow.

Prior to the NACC's announcement of its decision, Yingluck made a televised public address yesterday morning she ruled out corruption at the policy level in rice subsidies. She said stricter scrutiny by the NACC was needed at operational levels.

"I want the NACC to investigate the rice-pledging scheme without any prejudice or hidden agenda, otherwise good projects could be eliminated," she said.

In responding to Yingluck, Vicha said the anti-graft body had conducted the investigation against the caretaker PM and her government without bias.

The agency was also concerned about rice farmers, as they are now suffering due to delayed payments, he said.

The NACC has been heavily criticised for handling many cases concerning rice with double standards. Its critics claim allegations against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his Democrat-led government were conducted at a slow pace compared to Yingluck's case. Vicha replied that the agency would announce the investigation result into Abhisit's case this month.

I'm very upset, Yingluck says

In her televised address, Yingluck blamed the delay of the rice payments on anti-government demonstrations. "I'm very upset and apologise to all the farmers who are suffering from the delays. The farmers are now in the middle of a political game being played by the protest leaders, who are refusing to follow the democratic and legal path.

The rice farmers' rallies demanding overdue payments under the rice-pledging scheme have been a huge blow to the caretaker government. The government owes around Bt110 billion to farmers.

The Government Savings Bank (GSB) yesterday cancelled Bt20 billion in interbank loans to the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and recalled a Bt5-billion loan.

The move came after savers flocked to withdraw deposits from the GSB across the country, especially in the South, which is a stronghold of the opposition Democrat Party.

Woravit Chalimpamontri, president of the GSB, tendered his resignation to take full responsibility following massive withdrawals, as well as to restore confidence among clients and employees.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-19

NATIONAL ANTI-GRAFT AGENCY

Yingluck faces graft charges

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

NACC alleges dereliction of duty, negligence in rice scheme; move could lead premier's impeachment, prosecution

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) yesterday found grounds to press charges against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for alleged negligence and dereliction of duty over the controversial rice-pledging scheme, according to commission spokesman Vicha Mahakun.

The move is seen as a step to initiate impeachment proceedings against Yingluck, and to press charges for her criminal prosecution amid the political stalemate she has faced since last November.

However, Yingluck can continue her duties as caretaker PM until the NACC decides to indict her, Vicha said.

The anti-graft body summoned Yingluck to officially acknowledge the charges on February 27, Vicha said in a press statement.

He said the decision was made after the agency's investigation found evidence - both from witnesses and documents - that the premier, who is chairwoman of the National Rice Policy Committee, had been warned by many organisations of possible massive damage and corruption in the scheme.

Even the NACC warned in a written document that the scheme could cause widespread corruption in every stage of the process.

Moreover, Yingluck was informed of the apparent corruption that was occurring in the project during a censure debate. The chairman of a subcommittee on the rice-pledging audit said the scheme had caused losses of about Bt200 billion.

A large number of rice farmers who entered the programme have not yet received payment and are now in serious financial difficulties, the NACC statement said.

The Auditor General's Office had issued an earlier warning, asking her to review and halt the programme, which it said had many irregularities and was plagued with corruption.

Rather than halting the project, Yingluck pushed ahead with the programme. This clearly demonstrated her negligence resulting in severe damage to the country, Vicha said.

Earlier, the agency charged two former ministers together with 13 other people over their alleged involvement in fraudulent rice deals. Former commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and former deputy commerce minister Poom Sarapol are scheduled to give their accounts to the NACC tomorrow.

Prior to the NACC's announcement of its decision, Yingluck made a televised public address yesterday morning she ruled out corruption at the policy level in rice subsidies. She said stricter scrutiny by the NACC was needed at operational levels.

"I want the NACC to investigate the rice-pledging scheme without any prejudice or hidden agenda, otherwise good projects could be eliminated," she said.

In responding to Yingluck, Vicha said the anti-graft body had conducted the investigation against the caretaker PM and her government without bias.

The agency was also concerned about rice farmers, as they are now suffering due to delayed payments, he said.

The NACC has been heavily criticised for handling many cases concerning rice with double standards. Its critics claim allegations against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his Democrat-led government were conducted at a slow pace compared to Yingluck's case. Vicha replied that the agency would announce the investigation result into Abhisit's case this month.

I'm very upset, Yingluck says

In her televised address, Yingluck blamed the delay of the rice payments on anti-government demonstrations. "I'm very upset and apologise to all the farmers who are suffering from the delays. The farmers are now in the middle of a political game being played by the protest leaders, who are refusing to follow the democratic and legal path.

The rice farmers' rallies demanding overdue payments under the rice-pledging scheme have been a huge blow to the caretaker government. The government owes around Bt110 billion to farmers.

The Government Savings Bank (GSB) yesterday cancelled Bt20 billion in interbank loans to the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and recalled a Bt5-billion loan.

The move came after savers flocked to withdraw deposits from the GSB across the country, especially in the South, which is a stronghold of the opposition Democrat Party.

Woravit Chalimpamontri, president of the GSB, tendered his resignation to take full responsibility following massive withdrawals, as well as to restore confidence among clients and employees.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-02-19

She's accused of negligence not corruption.....

Nothing new here.....This was expected and everyone knows this was the plan...The UDD knew this and have talked about it at some length.....Mostly blaming the PTP for sitting idly by, when everyone knew this was the plan of the opposition and their so-called Independent Agencies....The RS's have discussed at length about why the PTP fails to act pro-actively when they have the chance and the electoral mandate......To sit and wait like sacrficial lambs in the face of coup-intentions beyond the street stuff....It was generally known that the coup-mongers on the street had in effect "shot their wad" some time ago, that military intervention was unlikely, leaving initiatives of this nature to the Elitist user-friendly courts.....It was apparent that coup-intentions would ultimately be achieved via the courts...It is more palatable internationally, as they consider this politicized judiciary normal.....To characterize them as normative only plays with the Elitist unelectables, and doesn't for one minute fool the electoral majority as to motives and originators.

Wow, you only joined on 10th of January 2014, and look at how many posts you have already! A quick search reveals that every single one of your contributions have been on political threads only.

Your verbose, meandering mode of speech is amusing - but then, English isn't your first language, is it?

The message, not the messenger please, and thank you.